• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In retrospect, Macklemore is the only rapper with something to say

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedAssedApe

Banned
So really, what is going on in this thread?

Did a moderator ban someone by accident and now they're making funny titles to distract from that or what?

because really I don't see what macklemore has to do with gaming, lock the thread or let it die

missed the joke i see

ampere

Macklemore isn't even a good wrapper ya'll

zdsakk.gif

Bravo man..

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
On a side note, what's that GIF from with the soccer player shooting the other soccer player in the head? Looks uncomfortably real.

It's a ref shooting a player and it's CG from a Wolfenstein: The New Order trailer.

So you want mods to enforce neutrality and manners amongst the users?

Look, neutral ground means everyone has a shot at expressing themselves, if they do it tastefully and with a tiny bit of diplomacy. You can almost believe or look up to anything and explain why, as long as you aren't inflammatory and venomous. Someone could make a thread about how religion ties into console choice, or if Metroid Prime is the Mona Lisa of videogames. You can post really weird observations or thoughts as long as normal discussion can happen.

You're complaining about a dude getting banned for a really goofy and non diplomatic post. Posting something inflammatory without really having anything to discuss, leads to a ban? SHOCKING.

I've said it a few times already. I don't care about him being banned. I'm saying that we shouldn't dismiss what he said just because he was banned, because a lot of it is true. He could've went about it another way, sure. He was impolite to say the least. Doesn't make him wrong though.

Welcome to NeoGAF
NeoGAF is a nexus of hardcore gamers, enthusiast press, and video game industry developers and publishers. This is a neutral ground where facts and evidence, presented within the confines of civil, inclusive discourse, prevail through careful moderation.

That's the welcome mat you find when you come to NeoGaf. It's anything but though, and OP had the balls to say it. A lot of members are saying "he's right, I feel the same but I wouldn't have been the one to say so" for fear of banning. Myself included.

I love my Xbox but I don't get into heavy discussion about it though because of what it turns into, and because I like Xbox I'd never win. I'd be a fanboy, despite owning all consoles except PS4 which I'm open to buying given a good reason.

This forum has become too tense and high strung.

Let's say TitusGroan had a fair and balanced argument, back with facts and figures of his argument that the Xbone doesn't deserve the malign it's received the past year or so, then he'd still be active.

His OP post came off as confrontational and calling us fools for not liking the Xbone is off to a rocky start.

Besides, he's defending a console on a forum with people who have very specific opinions about gaming. Who exactly is he trying to win over?

Oh god, we're back to June 2013.
Microsoft-- Look. I know this all looks bad in the public arena, but this kind of coverage isn't anything like the backlash from the XB1 reveal and E3 2013. If you're going to go astroturfing on forums at least have it try to cover up an actual incident and not a 1-day PR FUDding. It reeks of desperation and people can tell. The situation isn't THAT bad there, surely? Even the biggest GAF pessimist couldn't say things are anywhere near as dire now than back then.

We're pulling back into the station and you're still getting your seat restraint checked by the Cedar Point park employee.

So really, what is going on in this thread?

Did a moderator ban someone by accident and now they're making funny titles to distract from that or what?

because really I don't see what macklemore has to do with gaming, lock the thread or let it die

1. Guy posts overly Microsoft positive post.

2. Mods find an email that contains the phrase "PR" and appears to be from a PR agency. This alongside the overly fanboyish post leads to mods banning him and making the title "In retrospect, I shouldn't have used my PR email to register my account."

3. People find out that it wasn't from a PR agency, mods go crazy and rename the thread because fuck it.

kick51

Banned
ya know, i was thinking....you guys think CliffyB is a firm believer in eugenics?

he just seems like it

also, sweet melt OP

PR or not, that original thread title and the overall OP opened the door

yfcztx.gif

With that said, I'm utterly confused on Macklemore's involvement.

Tigress

So stupid.

1. Using his PR email address. Edit: er, nevermind.

2. Going for a very antagonistic tone. You'd think he'd try to keep it polite and calm so it immediately didn't make people want to dislike his argument (seriously, does arguing something in the tone he used ever affective? Usually it just puts people on the defensive, not convince them they're wrong or should change their mind).

Dr.Acula

Banned
Rhetorical question.

On the first page, it was noted his email account is tied to a company domain. Excerpts were then posted describing that company and what it offers. The insinuation is that the person works in PR, and since they defended Xbone and pointed out perceived positives, it must mean they're also been paid by Microsoft. Which I think might be a leap too far.

I'm someone who posts very enthusiastically about the things I like -- so much so that people have accused me of working in PR before. I've been accused of PR for Sony, and for Nintendo, all because I've loved their products in the past. So it concerns me, because I think, "Man, what if I worked for PR? Would people then jump to the conclusion that I'm paid by the people who make the products I like, just because I like them? And would I then be banned, when all I offered was a genuine opinion?"

Hell, it's probably possible to work for Microsoft in PR and hate their product, and post anonymously on message boards in favor of the competition's product.

Nothing can be assumed just because a person works in PR -- especially when PR covers a great many, many, many companies and industries outside the realm of gaming.

From the ToS:

E. Self-Promotion and Spam

Do not create new threads promoting a product or service you have any involvement in, or paste PR materials for promotional purposes, or attempt to embed referral links in your posts to generate revenue. If an existing discussion is taking place directly involving something you are associated with, you may participate in order to answer questions, clarify details, and otherwise engage with the community, but as a person, not an advertisement.

PR and Industry folk are invited to comment on threads, but it gets a lot more grey when they're directing the discussion by creating threads.

If you are affiliated with the industry you cannot create OTs for example.

When you create an official thread for a game, ideally after notifying the rest of the community here (especially for major releases so that you don't step on toes), you should follow these rules:

-Do not be affiliated in any way with the game in question, whether as a developer, publisher, or marketer.

TRios Zen

The ban was expected, given the tone of his op. The 1st thread title change called the Op out as a shill, which is not cool, if not true.

Updated title avoids possible misclassification of the op, while maintaining the ban for losing his cool.

In some sense order has been restored. Op wasn't totally off, though changes in the mood are cyclical and the vocal minority shitting up some xbox threads are loud, but not legion. IT will taper off eventually.

Pennywise

Welcome to NeoGAF
NeoGAF is a nexus of hardcore gamers, enthusiast press, and video game industry developers and publishers. This is a neutral ground where facts and evidence, presented within the confines of civil, inclusive discourse, prevail through careful moderation.

That's the welcome mat you find when you come to NeoGaf. It's anything but though, and OP had the balls to say it. A lot of members are saying "he's right, I feel the same but I wouldn't have been the one to say so" for fear of banning. Myself included.

I love my Xbox but I don't get into heavy discussion about it though because of what it turns into, and because I like Xbox I'd never win. I'd be a fanboy, despite owning all consoles except PS4 which I'm open to buying given a good reason.

This forum has become too tense and high strung.
Contradiction at it's best.
OP had no "balls, he wasn't civil and has made a topic while being really angry he might wouldn't have might while being calm.
If you can't discuss a certain topic with the fear of being banned, you should ask yourself some questions, rather than blaming others.

And which console you own, doesn't mean a thing, if you can't treat other people with respect.
That's what OP didn't...

If you've got a problem with a certain topic or a certain discussion, you're free to pm a moderator without being forced to answer someone while being angry.

Parapraxis

I've said it a few times already. I don't care about him being banned. I'm saying that we shouldn't dismiss what he said just because he was banned, because a lot of it is true. He could've went about it another way, sure. He was impolite to say the least. Doesn't make him wrong though.

Threads not really about that now, And I don't see a discussion about what OP posted content-wise happening any time soon lol.

MormaPope

Banned

The only point he really had is Sony paid for exclusivity or funded development for games in the past. And the games that were exclusive are specific entries. Microsoft isn't getting nearly as much heat as last year. And Sony took a beating during the early PS3 years on Gaf.

Permanently A

1. Guy posts overly Microsoft positive post.

2. Mods find an email that contains the phrase "PR" and appears to be from a PR agency. This alongside the overly fanboyish post leads to mods banning him and making the title "In retrospect, I shouldn't have used my PR email to register my account."

3. People find out that it wasn't from a PR agency, mods go crazy and rename the thread because fuck it.

thanks. this will be an interesting ride it'll be interesting to see how this plays out

theWB27

I've never heard a single Macklemore song....should I listen to know what all the fuss is aboot? Hardly listen to rap.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom