• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [November] Now Voting - Post 720!

Finally I can play Infested Planet. I got the game in July, it was my first Steam purchase. But there were issues with Intel cards and when I played, the game looked like this:

8D8D611CEBF1C4FD2A6DEB34CFDCC74CD7961CDB
05056B6671DBB8CE63515C009CE90F81CFA6A372

So I uninstalled and haven't touched the game in months. Decide to try it again because a new update came out...and it works! No issues at all.

I gave this a shot yesterday because I loved the theme and concept. Detailed impressions:

Good ideas, humorous presentation, fairly average execution.

On the raft, you can use the hearts and furs you've collected on your journey to heal your hunter, learn new combat skills, and mate with the tribe's unbelievably fertile woman who instantly bears an adult son to carry on in your stead when you inevitably meet your bloody death.

lol

For $2.99, it's not a bad experience, and I'll probably keep at it until I beat it, but I can't see myself going back for more after that. It doesn't do much to encourage you to replay it due to some strange design decisions... for instance, there's no real way to judge the quality of your play after each session--no 'overall score' after you die, just a list documenting the number and types of enemies you managed to kill. I guess that's cool if you want to memorize 14 different numbers to compare to your next play-through. The game also touts "per-session randomization," but so far it seems there are a number of predesigned islands and the "randomization" is only insofar as the enemies/animals that spawn and the order in which the islands appear for you to explore... no actual random island generation... so after playing a few times, you begin recognizing the islands and know roughly what to expect and where to go, which really takes a bite out of the replayability promised by randomization.

It's addicting, though. I want to beat it, which I guess is what counts. I've gotten my $3 worth of fun out of it.

Thanks for the superbly written impressions on Isle of Bxnes! That ending sounds cool, though.

This game is getting really good impressions on some sites
The Very Organized Thief - Free (PC, Mac, Browser)
or-570x380.jpg

http://gamejolt.com/games/puzzle/the-very-organized-thief/18991/

You are a thief. A very organized thief. Find all the items on your checklist and then escape the house...
Originally put together in 7 days and then polished for a few more.
The game is designed to be neither easy or hard, and slightly different everytime you play.

And IndieStatik liked this one:
Don’t Make Me Turn This Car Around - Free (Browser)
dmmttca2.jpg

http://www.thewalkingdead.com/gamejam/dmmttca/

The year is 1992. It’s a time before cheap mobile gaming and seat-back television screens, and you’re driving three children home. Do you have what it takes to handle these three terrors? Can you manage their tempers, bladders and appetites without going insane or hitting the ditch? Will you top for gas, supplies or an emptied bladder, or will you just try to speed home?

Gazoinks

I have $2.73 Steam credit from selling cards, so I was thinking of grabbing 9.03m. Anyone "played" it? Thoughts?

Also? Guacamelee is awesome.

This game is getting really good impressions on some sites
The Very Organized Thief - Free (PC, Mac, Browser)

Scariest game ever made, right here. :p I suck at it, but it's surprisingly involving.

Ashodin

6d1d3685786552c225b89bb2026a5c4c_large.png

APEXICON Demo V.72

Here you go, the second demo, with some changes and the boss battle unlocked!

Changelog

Balance

E's will show up much more often now. As well as Q's, U's, W's, X's, Y's, and Z's will be much more rare.

The Eraser will hit for 3 damage normally, 5 damage when he enrages, and his enrage starts at 10 life not 15.

You also overall deal 2 more damage to him as well.

Bugfixes

The How-To-Play screen is more user friendly.

Pressing No when you don't want to exit works on Character Creation Screen and World Map respectively.

If you press the "Continue" button on the Character Creation screen without selecting "OK" on all your options, it will give you an error now.

The Abin fight will be unlocked from the start considering how difficult it was to get to it.

Once you complete the Literati Eraser, you will go to the next screen where the full word sequence will be in the suggestion bar.

Improvements

Highlights have been added to the tiles when you mouseover. Other buttons have highlights added as well.

Windows Version (ZIP) - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByCEUYIGTsHoLXZGSjBBdTFkRFk/edit

Mac Version (RAR)- https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByCEUYIGTsHoakJlR2QwN2x3ODg/edit

Enjoy! Any feedback is appreciated!

6d1d3685786552c225b89bb2026a5c4c_large.png

APEXICON Demo V.72

Here you go, the second demo, with some changes and the boss battle unlocked!

Changelog

Balance

E's will show up much more often now. As well as Q's, U's, W's, X's, Y's, and Z's will be much more rare.

The Eraser will hit for 3 damage normally, 5 damage when he enrages, and his enrage starts at 10 life not 15.

You also overall deal 2 more damage to him as well.

Bugfixes

The How-To-Play screen is more user friendly.

Pressing No when you don't want to exit works on Character Creation Screen and World Map respectively.

If you press the "Continue" button on the Character Creation screen without selecting "OK" on all your options, it will give you an error now.

The Abin fight will be unlocked from the start considering how difficult it was to get to it.

Once you complete the Literati Eraser, you will go to the next screen where the full word sequence will be in the suggestion bar.

Improvements

Highlights have been added to the tiles when you mouseover. Other buttons have highlights added as well.

Windows Version (ZIP) - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByCEUYIGTsHoLXZGSjBBdTFkRFk/edit

Mac Version (RAR)- https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByCEUYIGTsHoakJlR2QwN2x3ODg/edit

Wow that was pretty fast Ashodin! I'm downloading the new version now.

Sup indie thread. Checking in from 3 months of graduate school/new fatherhood

I saw a lecture by Micheal Brogh last night. So weird, but his stuff is really amazing. I'm not sure if it's been featured here, but It should be!

Glitch Tank: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L44po8eKJBo

A 2 player action strategy game that plays a little like a card game with emergent effects. It actually reminds of a realtime clairvoyance somewhat, in how actions can stack in unexpected ways. 3 bucks(!!!) on iOS and free on the PC. You can get if for free on the PC here, http://mightyvision.blogspot.com/2012/06/kompendium.html

868-Hack
$7 on IOS, PC version coming soon.
Hacking Roguelike. Lots of really cool decisions that you have to make before you die. Really deep, and really challenging.

SmeSport
(coming soon)
4 player, it kind of plays like DOTA and Hokra had a baby. Really fun title.

Sup indie thread. Checking in from 3 months of graduate school/new fatherhood

I saw a lecture by Micheal Brogh last night. So weird, but his stuff is really amazing. I'm not sure if it's been featured here, but It should be!

Glitch Tank: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L44po8eKJBo

A 2 player action strategy game that plays a little like a card game with emergent effects. It actually reminds of a realtime clairvoyance somewhat, in how actions can stack in unexpected ways. 3 bucks(!!!) on iOS and free on the PC. You can get if for free on the PC here, http://mightyvision.blogspot.com/2012/06/kompendium.html

868-Hack
$7 on IOS, PC version coming soon.
Hacking Roguelike. Lots of really cool decisions that you have to make before you die. Really deep, and really challenging.

SmeSport
(coming soon)
4 player, it kind of plays like DOTA and Hokra had a baby. Really fun title.

Is that lecture on YouTube or elsewhere? I've been a fan of his for awhile now and have mentioned him before in various threads. 868-Hack is one of my favorite games of 2013 and I strongly recommend Corrypt and Zaga33. He does some fantastic stuff.

Is that lecture on YouTube or elsewhere? I've been a fan of his for awhile now and have mentioned him before in various threads. 868-Hack is one of my favorite games of 2013 and I strongly recommend Corrypt and Zaga33. He does some fantastic stuff.

I don't think this one was recorded, but he had given a lecture at practice a few days earlier that I believe will be online. I'll post when it goes up.

arcanadei

Having some issues on Character Creation screen currently. Clicking outside of the Name field made my OK button disappear. After editing the name a few times I was able to make it come back and it was selectable again. From same screen, if you select Exit, then No, then press Continue, you will get the prompt from the Exit button with the "Are you giving up" text as though you pressed exit again. I was not able to get around this without exiting and then starting again. Gameplay is fun, might need some additional letter balancing as I ended up with 2 Z's and 2 Q's with no U's, but a lot of E's. After beating the Eraser, the ending textbox allows me to enter text, but I can't seem to do anything else from there. Possible suggestions, add a timer to your turn to act or forfeit that round. Increasing difficulty could be shorter timers. Also add a button to scramble, or rearrange the letters you have. The game is fine without that feature, but I see it in a lot of letter based games, so fans of similar might want to see it there. Great effort here overall and looking forward to seeing it progress.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
The developers of "A Virus Named Tom" suggest three concepts and offer to vote for one of them.
http://games.misfits-attic.com/Vote.html

Sort of unfair, lol.

The first one will easily get the most votes just because of the buzzwords real time tactical survival sci-fi roguelike dungeon crawler... thing. Cant make something more popular in the Indie space currently, though I really think the other 2 concepts are more interesting just because they seem a bit more unique.

Sort of unfair, lol.

The first one will easily get the most votes just because of the buzzwords real time tactical survival sci-fi roguelike dungeon crawler... thing. Cant make something more popular in the Indie space currently, though I really think the other 2 concepts are more interesting just because they seem a bit more unique.
They're all so promising!

I'm torn between 1 and 3. "Real time tactical sci fi roguelike dungeon crawler thing" (This should be the actual title) or cool physics based stealth?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
They're all so promising!

I'm torn between 1 and 3. "Real time tactical sci fi roguelike dungeon crawler thing" (This should be the actual title) or cool physics based stealth?

From the gameplay they showed, the third one is likely more arcadey than a proper stealth game with planning, traps and whatnot. More like "find the best way and execute is as fast as possible", which is also reinforced by the mechanic of ricocheting everywhere until you let go of pause. I am sure its still fun though.

From the gameplay they showed, the third one is likely more arcadey than a proper stealth game with planning, traps and whatnot. More like "find the best way and execute is as fast as possible". I am sure its still fun though.
Yeah the demo is pretty hectic, but I'm probably going to go with 1 :p

Another sci-fi action roguelike? I like that

Toma

Yeah the demo is pretty hectic, but I'm probably going to go with 1 :p

Another sci-fi action roguelike? I like that

Yeah, but I think its a genre that is getting sooooo much servings already, I'd rather prefer them working on something else next.

But then again, 1 will make them the most money BECAUSE the genre is so popular, so who am I to complain :p

Yeah, but I think its a genre that is getting sooooo much servings already, I'd rather prefer them working on something else next.

But then again, 1 will make them the most money BECAUSE the genre is so popular, so who am I to complain :p
Toma, you want a Steam Key for that Chess The Gathering prototype? If I subscribed for updates, and also for the prototype version. I can add friend emails and they'll get Steam Keys as well

Same offer to the others here. Wok? Phantom?

Toma

Toma, you want a Steam Key for that Chess The Gathering prototype? If I subscribed for updates, and also for the prototype version. I can add friend emails and they'll get Steam Keys as well

Same offer to the others here. Wok? Phantom?

Wok and me already have a key for a few months now. Very interesting game concept that severely misses polish and matchmaking options.

Very, very promising though.

Ashodin

Having some issues on Character Creation screen currently. Clicking outside of the Name field made my OK button disappear. After editing the name a few times I was able to make it come back and it was selectable again. From same screen, if you select Exit, then No, then press Continue, you will get the prompt from the Exit button with the "Are you giving up" text as though you pressed exit again. I was not able to get around this without exiting and then starting again. Gameplay is fun, might need some additional letter balancing as I ended up with 2 Z's and 2 Q's with no U's, but a lot of E's. After beating the Eraser, the ending textbox allows me to enter text, but I can't seem to do anything else from there. Possible suggestions, add a timer to your turn to act or forfeit that round. Increasing difficulty could be shorter timers. Also add a button to scramble, or rearrange the letters you have. The game is fine without that feature, but I see it in a lot of letter based games, so fans of similar might want to see it there. Great effort here overall and looking forward to seeing it progress.
Appreciate the feedback! I'll be releasing another updated demo later today.

From Bloodcrusher II
Bloodcrusher II: Killfire, sequel to the hit 1992 shooter phenomenon Bloodcrusher 3D, promises the most incredible action you can handle. Bloodcrusher II randomly crafts stories, levels, enemies and weapons, forcing players to use both skill and caution to proceed. Build up your Killometer on a global scoreboard and fill your Blood Gauge for mega-maximum carnage!

NunShredderFinal.gif

The 3DS eShop indie, SteamWorld Dig is releasing on Steam on December 5.

RPS had the exclusive reveal and interview. And here's the thread for the announcement.

I'm really looking forward to this one.

rybrad

I think that can actually work against them if they aren't careful and deliver a highly polished and entertaining product. The genre is one of my favorite and indeed a lot of games are coming out and selling well now, however, that means the bar for what is considered good is being raised. I find myself being more particular on what I want to pick up now since there are so many quality titles already. Just fulfilling certain genre tropes isn't enough to make a game standout anymore. This is an awesome "problem" for consumers but not so much for devs.

Toma

The numbers of votes for each prototype are balanced.

Which clearly means they should do all of them, simultaneously.

Seriously though, I think this is the worst kind of result for them as it basically doesnt give them any sort of information which concept give a focus to, haha.

Which clearly means they should do all of them, simultaneously.

Seriously though, I think this is the worst kind of result for them as it basically doesnt give them any sort of information which concept give a focus to, haha.

I guess they wasn't expecting the votes being so close, I'm curious to see which of the concepts is going to be choosen.

The developers of "A Virus Named Tom" suggest three concepts and offer to vote for one of them.
http://games.misfits-attic.com/Vote.html

Surprised it's still so close, if you had asked me beforehand I would have said Duskers would have taken it easily (I voted for Last Shadow). Although whichever one they decide to follow through needs a lick of paint before it hits kickstarter, I can't see any of them getting backed in their current appearance.

Yami

Not sure if this warranted a thread by itself, but I spotted a pretty good indie-focused read over on Red Bull of all places. They spoke with Team Meat, Red Lynx and the guys behind N+ to discuss why their games are so bloody hard - and how some of them can't even beat their own games.

Anyone for some Ninja Tracks in Trials?

The camaraderie between indie devs is cool. First we get cool crossovers on Kickstarter, Dyscourse has indie devs in their game, and now Dino Run 2 has this:

dinorun2.jpg

Not sure if this warranted a thread by itself, but I spotted a pretty good indie-focused read over on Red Bull of all places. They spoke with Team Meat, Red Lynx and the guys behind N+ to discuss why their games are so bloody hard - and how some of them can't even beat their own games.

Anyone for some Ninja Tracks in Trials?

Nice, I'll read it when I have some time.

The camaraderie between indie devs is cool. First we get cool crossovers on Kickstarter, Dyscourse has indie devs in their game, and now Dino Run 2 has this:

dinorun2.jpg

That's pretty cool.

Gazoinks

dinorun2.jpg

Let's see what games I can recognize:
-Guacemelee
-Super Meat Boy
-Journey
-Skulls of the Shogun
-Fez
-Castle Crashers
-Braid
-Spelunky
-VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
-Incredipede
-World of Goo
-Don't Starve
-Machinarium
-Bastion
-Minecraft

Who're those white guys in the middle bottom?

Let's see what games I can recognize:
-Guacemelee
-Super Meat Boy
-Journey
-Skulls of the Shogun
-Fez
-Castle Crashers
-Braid
-Spelunky
-VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
-Incredipede
-World of Goo
-Don't Starve
-Machinarium
-Bastion
-Minecraft

Who're those white guys in the middle bottom?

Battleblock Theater.

Also, you're missing Hyper Light Drifter and Shovel Knight from the list. :)

This is getting good user impressions on Reddit. Dev worked on it for five years, recently released it for free

DataJack - Free (PC)
finished.jpg
screen6.jpg

http://www.desura.com/games/datajack

In the not-too-distant future, governments have dissolved and powerful mega-corporations wage covert wars for territory and the control of information. As a freelance mercenary, you will conduct sabotage, assassinations, espionage and ambushes on their behalf to line your pockets and pay for top-of-the-line weapons and cybernetic limbs. Will you side with the corporations, the private military, or perhaps with the radical anarchist youth hacker gang in an attempt to bring down the entire corrupt system?

Top Bottom