• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [November] Now Voting - Post 720!

Feep

Banned
There Came an Echo is coming along swimmingly!

Ignore Corrin's pasty-ass hands

Screeny.png

Haven't played much DataJack but while the controls are a bit clunky and it's buggy (which is kind of expected), the overall game is fantastic. I can't wait to play more.

Here's an excerpt from the IndieStatik article, to give you an idea of the game's depth:
Inside your apartment is your bed where you can save the game, a storage cabinet where you can arrange your load outs, and the computer upon which you receive missions via email that you can take on or ignore. Outside of your apartment are the city’s busy streets, which are constantly moving with people who will moan about having to do their shitty corporate jobs.

In your immediate vicinity is a clinic where you’ll often pay a visit to after missions to patch yourself up, and where you can also kit yourself out with cybernetic limbs. There’s also a gun shop that obviously sells guns, as well as attachments for them such as silencers and different sized calibres. There’s also a guy with a mohican in the gun shop who sells computers that will help you hack into mainframes and other systems quicker.

If you head off down the back alley from the main street you’ll come to the data broker. Here you can grab software from the black market that you use to overload security systems to open doors, vendors, and disable turrets.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Simply fantastic - I love how direct this piece was in showing off the devs' theater background. Certainly requires the patience of a slow-burn drama but the multilayered narratives give the player a little something to do. You (spoilered if you don't want to know)
play the director, choosing where to direct your attention. You play as the only character in the Bar-Fly play, while you also play as an extra in The Entertainment at the same time.

KRZ itself is incredible but I have to admit I really love these little mini-episodes they've put out that try something completely different. Cardboard Computer's something special, man.

I bought the physical script book haha

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Apexicon will miss its backing goal by quite a lot. Too bad :(

alllen

Neo Member
There Came an Echo is coming along swimmingly!

Not quite sure what kind of game I'm looking at but I really dig the art style. I like the font choice too.

That new KRZ thing is cool but I imagine some of the effect is lost without an Oculus Rift.

Feep

Banned
Not quite sure what kind of game I'm looking at but I really dig the art style. I like the font choice too.
^^

Voice-controlled (or not voice-controlled) squad-based RTS. It's the beginning of the game, though...no squad, no weapons. Yet.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Voting!

RULES THIS MONTH IN SHORT: Up to 10 games, at least 4.

Why?
Because we want to offer people who first step into the thread an easy go-to list for great games. Plus it gives more attention to the titles that really deserve it.

How?
Everyone votes on his top 10 games out of the ones that already have been released AND are mentioned in the OP (So everything in Post 2). I'll tally the results and put the best 5 in the next thread. A minimum voting count of 4 is required. Feel free to vote for games that you deem "important" or the ones that you enjoyed the most. Since this is a rather communicative thread, feel free to include a short description why these games ended up on your list or a "honorable" mention if you feel that one game deserves another mention even though it wont count for your list. That way it would also make it interesting to read which games we should check out that others might have enjoyed. You dont need to "rank" the 10 games. Every list entry gets 1 point for the overall ranking.

When?
This thread is still open until the end of the month, so you can drop your list in here whenever you want. You can also change your list up to the last day. I wont start the count before the last day of the month, so everyone has still time to revise their lists and play some games. Speaking of which, if you dont even KNOW 7 games to vote for, there are plenty free games in the OP to check out. Most of which are rather short too. Use the remaining week to catch up with 1 or 2 titles you didnt get around to yet!

Which?
Since the list got rather long, here is the complete list of games to vote for for this month:

140 - $4,99 (PC, Mac)
Actual Sunlight - Free Demo/ $5 (PC)
Aeternum - $2.99 (PC, XBLIG)
Paradise - Free (PC, Browser)
Audiosurf 2 - $14,99 for early Access (PC)
Arcane Worlds - Free Demo/ $10 for Alpha (PC)
Awesome Shapes - $2,99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
AXYZ - Free Demo (PC)
Beyond Perception - Free Prototype Demo (PC, Mac, Linux)
Bionic Dues - Free Demo/$9,99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
Candy Box 2 - Free (PC, Browser)
Cave! Cave! Deus Videt - Free Prototype (PC, Mac, Linux)
Castle in the Sky - $1,50 (PC, Mac)
Chrono Disfunglement - Free (PC)
Collapse - Free (PC, Browser)
Cornerstone - Free Alpha Demo (PC, Mac, Linux)
Cubicity - Free Demo/Preorder for 50% off at $2,49 (PC)
Demon Drum - Free (PC)
Dog Sled Saga - $10 for Beta access (PC, Mac, Linux)
Drei - Free Browser Demo / $2,99 for iPad (PC, iPad)
Fakteur - Free (PC)
Flicker - Free (PC)
Heavy Bullets - Free Alpha (PC, Mac, Linux)
Huenison -Free Demo / $5 (PC)
Inescapable - $10 (PC)
Interference - Free Alpha (PC)
KarBOOM - Free Demo/ $9,99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
Lathe de la Lune Somniis - Free (PC, Browser)
Luxuria Superbia - Free Beta/Coming out on November 5 (PC, Mac, Linux, Ouya, iPad, Android)
Monochroma - (PC, Mac, Linux)
Nuclear Throne - $13,99 (PC).
Null Divide+ - Free (PC, Mac, Linux)
Oniro - Free (PC)
Paradis Perdus - Free Alpha (PC, Mac, Linux)
Probably Archery - Free Demo/ $6,99 for Alpha access (PC, Mac, Linux)
RimWorld - $30 for Pre-Alpha Access now (PC, Mac, Linux)
Scraps - Free Demo (PC)
Secrets of Raetikon - $10 for Alpha Access (PC, Mac, Linux)
Specter - Free Alpha (PC)
Spectrophobia - Free (PC)
Taijou - Free Beta (PC)
Temple of the Water God - Free (PC)
The Last Capter of Man - $2,99 (PC)
The Stanley Parable - Free Demo/ $14,99 (PC)
Tiamat X - Free Demo/ $4,99 (PC)
Truck Stop - $5 (PC)
Whispers of the Goddess - Free (PC)

Its that time of the month again where we notice that the month is ending way too soon and we didnt even play 1/4th of the available games. Everyone try grabbing another 3-5 games and post some impressions so we also covered some of the more obscure entries. Plenty of games on the list that no one talked about this month.

Also, probably due to the next gen hype, this thread was the least active Indie thread from all the Indie threads so far. I hope its not a sign of things to come for the future of this thread.

Toma

And renamed. Thanks Kab.

I will probably need to start preparing the next thread now and then see if I can get some game impressions in before my PS4 arrives.

... tough schedule.

I was wondering when you could open the voting, I'll post my votes later. I think the hype for the new consoles sucked some members but once it settles the threads are going to be back to normal.

I bought Signal Ops yesterday, but I've only gotten past the tutorial and one mission.

So far so good though...a little janky, but I think it's only a two man development team.

Voting

1. Beyond Perception
IMO, this is the next Antichamber. Beyond Perception was one of my favorite 7DFPS games, up there with SuperHOT and Probably Archery, and I'm so happy the devs are working on an expanded version. If you want to mess with your mind and see some cool perception tricks/illusions check this out

2. The Stanley Parable
Short, but sweet. Fantastic narrative that subverts and plays with the player's expectations, a game made for gamers. So many moments had me smiling and laughing. It's a great experience

3. Cornerstone
The alpha demo is only a single level, but it shows huge promise for the full game, already offering myriad ways to approach your objective.

4. Scraps
The builder demo is kind of bare bones, but I found that building the craziest vehicle and trying to maneuver is a lot of fun. On Kickstarter now, btw

5. Heavy Bullets
Yet another FPS roguelike, but with a stylish visual style, interesting mechanics, and just a lot of fun

Honorable Mentions
Taijou - Probably dead, but the demo is fun and worth a try
Interference - its Indiegogo campaign is probably not going to make it, but the alpha demo is promising
Probably Archery - it's Surgeon Simulator meets archery. Cue the hilarious failures
Drei - minimalist fun, the PC demo is entertaining
Null Divide+ - Fun freeware retro shooter, worth a try

Toma

Haha, I just noticed that this thread was the one that was.. impulse driven. Already forgot about that :p

From the voting list, which Paradise game are we talking about? The 2006 adventure game by the Syberia dude?

Downloaded all the free demo things, will give them a go. Is Spectrophobia the only horror game on the list? Cool to see a game from Singapore.

Inescapable looks very Metroid, much like Ghost Song :O

boxshot.1.png

Toma

From the voting list, which Paradise game are we talking about? The 2006 adventure game by the Syberia dude?

Downloaded all the free demo things, will give them a go. Is Spectrophobia the only horror game on the list? Cool to see a game from Singapore.

Inescapable looks very Metroid, much like Ghost Song :O

boxshot.1.png

That one:
http://wiki.xxiivv.com/Paradise

daydream

Banned

I'm working on OP impressions, but I can already tell you that Paradis Perdus is a horror game in my book, and a maginificent one at that.

Donos

popping in this thread after a loooong while and getting blown away what awesome games are coming up/already available. Unbeliveable..

DrTeflon

Came out in April 2013, and yet no reviews or anything for a tactical shooter stealth espionage game?! Might have to try it out for myself...

I reviewed it back then, really fun if you're playing with friends, not so fun on single player. I had some connection issues back then, dont know how is it nowadays

Thanks.

I'm working on OP impressions, but I can already tell you that Paradis Perdus is a horror game in my book, and a maginificent one at that.

Nice.

I reviewed it back then, really fun if you're playing with friends, not so fun on single player. I had some connection issues back then, dont know how is it nowadays

Oooh that doesn't sound too great. With the multiple perspectives, do you have to move each character individually?

Risk of Rain - $9.99 (PC)
ss_9b26bb93397ea5bbb7906950c4ffa0d6e9203f7d.1920x1080.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/248820/

Risk of Rain is an action platformer with roguelike elements. With permanent death as a primary feature, players will have to play their best to get as far as possible. Fight on a mysterious planet with randomly spawning enemies and bosses, either alone or with 3 friends in online co-op. With over 100 items at your disposal, you will find the tools you need to find the teleporter back home. Discover a myriad of randomly chosen stages, from the desolate forest to the frozen tundra.

Awesome game. My best run was four levels. Lasted 48 minutes, took out five bosses. It was insane
So far I've made it to level 3 with the Commando. Unlocked the Enforcer (ehh, can't solo with him to save my life) and the Engineer (seems promising for solo with the right items).

At first I wasn't sold on the game, but now it has its hooks in me. Things escalate so quickly. Must manage money/purchases/time at a frantic rate if you want to survive. Gameplay is much deeper and more skill-rewarding than it may seem at first.

Toma

Two Brothers released today!

You can get at GamersGate, and it'll be on Steam eventually.

http://ackkstudios.wordpress.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=143503892

I love you so much. So, so much. Thanks for posting.

Guys, check out the video. Does the prospect of a proper Alundra 2 make you wet your pants? I am getting super heavy Alundra vibes here. Definitely going to buy that and give impressions next month. Its currently 33% cheaper (10$ instead of 15$ for the next 7 days).

Maybe I can get around to writing something up before the sale ends.

Oh and:
Two Brothers takes a long hard look at death in video games… when the player is killed in combat or triggers a deadly trap, instead of being greeted a familiar GAMEOVER screen, the player finds himself in what we call the “Afterlife Hub”.

This realm of the dead is a colorful and mysterious place where the player can explore, find clues, and interact with characters who have passed on in the games story… sometimes even bringing some of them back from the dead.

When the player wants to return to gameplay, they can jump from the edge of the heavens and get back in to the action and exploration!

This mechanic is vital to the gameplay, as sometimes interacting with the dead is just as important as interacting with the living… this feature often requires the player intentionally ending their session in a game over, just to cross over to the other side.

Jaw, meet floor.

Alright, Signal Ops is pretty awesome. You play as a signal operator that commands up to 3 agents on the field. There are 6 agent classes in total:

Scope - Sniper class, they will automatically scan an area for enemies when you are not in direct control.

Spy - Can't attack, but they blend in with the enemy and can distract them.

Demo - Can make bombs and traps. They're useful for blowing up doors but they make a lot of noise.

Wrench - Can lock and unlock doors. Locking doors can be useful for dealing with enemies non-lethally.

Shield - Pretty basic combat class

Bolt - So far this is the most important class, they move around the radio that allows you to keep in contact with your agents. If your agent moves out of a radio transmitter's range their screen will go static and you will have to make them retreat back to safety.

The levels are big and there are multiple ways to tackle your objectives, whether by force or stealth. The game also has a nice sense of humor and I'm pretty we're not working for the good guys...the scope agent keeps referencing the dark lord. I really dig the artstyle but it's kinda marred by janky animations.

Anyways, it's on sale for $12 until tomorrow (25th) and I say it's worth it if you're into strategy games like Commando.

I love you so much. So, so much. Thanks for posting.

Guys, check out the video. Does the prospect of a proper Alundra 2 make you wet your pants? I am getting super heavy Alundra vibes here. Definitely going to buy that and give impressions next month. Its currently 33% cheaper (10$ instead of 15$ for the next 7 days).

Maybe I can get around to writing something up before the sale ends.

Oh and:

Jaw, meet floor.

As I always says "Too many games, too little money".

Stop trying to convince me!
I'll buy it on Steam

On other news I decided to play Thomas Was Alone before I went to bed and I can say it's being an awesome experience, I can't belive how expressive rectangles can be only based in its abilities and the narration.

Top Bottom