• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [November] Now Voting - Post 720!

Hofmann

Can you post screenshots again here so I make sure to include them next month? Cant include anything anymore in the Games section this month, its bursting already.

Ok, np.

But wouldn't you find a place for Luxuria Superbia as they're struggling to get on Steam, please;D I could squeeze few descriptions to make a bit more place.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ok, np.

But wouldn't you find a place for Luxuria Superbia as they're struggling to get on Steam, please;D I could squeeze few descriptions to make a bit more place.

Could you give me the full entry? Screenshot, price, description, etc.

I just kicked Schein out of the OP, so we might be able to squeeze it in now.

Whatever happened to that law that said that if you already had a game on stream then you could bypass Greenlight for your future projects. I strongly remember that being a thing when Greenlight was first being announced but with Tale of Tales (and many others) getting roadblocked then it obviously isn't. Might be remembering wrongly, it wouldn't be the first time.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Whatever happened to that law that said that if you already had a game on stream then you could bypass Greenlight for your future projects. I strongly remember that being a thing when Greenlight was first being announced but with Tale of Tales (and many others) getting roadblocked then it obviously isn't. Might be remembering wrongly, it wouldn't be the first time.

Didnt they scratch that because publishers on steam were basically releasing games that they have no affiliation with just to help other devs to bypass greenlight?

Even though the dev thing is already stupid in the case of Tale of Tales, the example that is even more mindboggling, is Eschalon III, which just got greenlit while Eschalon I and II are already on Steam. That just seems... ridiculous.

Twinduct

Between Indie games, Kickstarter, Vita DD & my terrible addiction to BF series ... I'm broke as hell right now!

So I really hope nothing is released in the survival; Sci-Fi genre this month!

Hofmann

Here you have, Toma. Hopefully, this will help them somehow.

Luxuria Superbia - Free Demo/Coming out on November 5 (PC, Mac, Linux, Ouya, iPad, Android)
OUYA-red-watchingyou.jpg

http://www.luxuria-superbia.com/

A simple game of touch, pleasure and joy made for fingers on touchscreens and joysticks on computers. Luxuria Superbia is a musical journey from the sensuous to the spiritual. Exciting designs explode from your gestures as you travel through tunnels, beautiful as flowers. It's all about the experience and the interaction.

Okay, Fjords
It's a 2D puzzle platformer. Arrows move you left and right, A sends up a grapple hook that attaches to whatever is above you (you can't jump) and K resets you at the area start. The graphics are simple, but the cool thing that sets it apart is the hacking mechanic. Think of it as the Quadrilateral Cowboy's abstract little cousin. From a terminal in a main hub, you can hack into the world and turn certain variables true or false or warp between areas. For examples bombs true causes you to set bombs down when you use the grapple hook. Ferries set boats down in the water (which kills you if you touch it). Magic lets you glitch through the level and essentially teleport around the level. The game is very freeform; there's no one right way to travel to another area

For a more indepth impression, this IndieStatik article does an excellent job of describing the game

Toma

Here you have, Toma. Hopefully, this will help them somehow.

Luxuria Superbia - Free Demo/Coming out on November 5 (PC, Mac, Linux, Ouya, iPad, Android)

Yep, squeezed it in.

header6rd43.png

(Greenlight http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=175581955)

Popping up as the final bonus in the groupees greenlight bundle 4 is Ghostship Aftermath, a follow up to the action focused Ghostship.

aftermathtad48.gif

It is a simple enough idea. There is a huge spaceship floating around in space. Some bad stuff has gone down and you are tasked with going inside to check it all out. Despite the game presenting a floating gun, you are not going to be shooting aliens here. Instead the game is more "A machine for pigs" than Dead Space as you wander around, solve some simple puzzles or complete easy tasks and progress through the environment. Whilst you can "die" this is more a result of you thinking "I wonder if I can die doing this" than anything particularly challenging or dangerous.

A game like this lives and dies by the immersion created and Ghostship delivers on this front. The perspective from inside the suit allows effects like a frosted visor which serves the dual purpose of nailing the atmosphere and also masking some occasionally shoddy graphics. Of note, the HUD elements are integrated into the suit, which is a great idea for keeping you involved in what is going on. Do you dare look down and check out your objective when something can be lurking around the corner? Well in this game you probably safely will, but it still makes for a good implementation.

Technically the game is a mixed bag. Occasionally you'll hit a section of the ship which betrays the indie origins. In other sections, all the effects come together and you'll believe you are playing something with a lot higher budget. It all works better in Aftermath than the original game, because the environment was always the strongest part and the aliens didn't really live up to the rest. Hence with them removed and no distracting low quality gun effects, it is a much more even experience. Sound effects are not abundantly used, but the constant breathing through your suit hits the right mark and you are not distracted by an unnecessary orchestral score.

What does this all add up to? Well it is difficult to say. The trick with a game like this is always that the main event has already happened. Rather than being an active participant, you are simply unravelling the clues to discover the cause of some much more interesting events. Because there are quite a few games in the atmosphere/story genre now you'll probably know if this is a draw for you and can justify the 2GB download. Given the somewhat unique setting and the relative pluses and minuses in terms of immersion and lack of variety, you could do a lot worse than stepping into space once more.

All that said, the main attraction here would seem to be the oculus rift integration. I don't own one, so I can't speak for how well it is implemented here but the draw is obvious. Whilst waiting for bigger name titles like Routine to appear, you could do a lot worse than check this particular attempt out if you are lucky enough to own one.

Gazoinks

Yay new thread!

Really interested in Arcane Worlds, simply because I love Magic Carpet and it could use an updating. The draw distance in that game is like three inches. :D

Moobabe

New month, new thread, new games.

Ok so I'm trying out the "Wind Waker meets Dark Souls" game - two things that give me uncontrollable excitement in my nether regions.

It looks ok, but what's irking me is the fighting mechanics. I don't really know how to equip things, all I know is I'm pressing 'Z' (which I believe is equip/unequip etc) and I end up with either Mace + Shield (both holstered) or a shield and no weapon drawn for combat.

Still - there's something here, and this is obviously pretty early, but there's some levels of jank up in here.

Toma

header6rd43.png

(Greenlight http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=175581955)

Popping up as the final bonus in the groupees greenlight bundle 4 is Ghostship Aftermath, a follow up to the action focused Ghostship.

aftermathtad48.gif

It is a simple enough idea. There is a huge spaceship floating around in space. Some bad stuff has gone down and you are tasked with going inside to check it all out. Despite the game presenting a floating gun, you are not going to be shooting aliens here. Instead the game is more "A machine for pigs" than Dead Space as you wander around, solve some simple puzzles or complete easy tasks and progress through the environment. Whilst you can "die" this is more a result of you thinking "I wonder if I can die doing this" than anything particularly challenging or dangerous.

A game like this lives and dies by the immersion created and Ghostship delivers on this front. The perspective from inside the suit allows effects like a frosted visor which serves the dual purpose of nailing the atmosphere and also masking some occasionally shoddy graphics. Of note, the HUD elements are integrated into the suit, which is a great idea for keeping you involved in what is going on. Do you dare look down and check out your objective when something can be lurking around the corner? Well in this game you probably safely will, but it still makes for a good implementation.

Technically the game is a mixed bag. Occasionally you'll hit a section of the ship which betrays the indie origins. In other sections, all the effects come together and you'll believe you are playing something with a lot higher budget. It all works better in Aftermath than the original game, because the environment was always the strongest part and the aliens didn't really live up to the rest. Hence with them removed and no distracting low quality gun effects, it is a much more even experience. Sound effects are not abundantly used, but the constant breathing through your suit hits the right mark and you are not distracted by an unnecessary orchestral score.

What does this all add up to? Well it is difficult to say. The trick with a game like this is always that the main event has already happened. Rather than being an active participant, you are simply unravelling the clues to discover the cause of some much more interesting events. Because there are quite a few games in the atmosphere/story genre now you'll probably know if this is a draw for you and can justify the 2GB download. Given the somewhat unique setting and the relative pluses and minuses in terms of immersion and lack of variety, you could do a lot worse than stepping into space once more.

All that said, the main draw here would seem to be the oculus rift integration. I don't own one, so I can't speak for how well it is implemented here but the draw is obvious. Whilst waiting for bigger name titles like Routine to appear, you could do a lot worse than check this particular attempt out if you are lucky enough to own one.

That sounds incredibly cool, thanks for the writeup. Might give this a whirl.

Toma

It'll be up in a couple of days. I need to finish polishing the combat!

Alright, good luck with the polishing and keeping up with the kickstarter at the same time ;)

Toma

Alright, currently stuck on level 82 in Impulse, trying to make a gif of level 52 for Hof.

As usual, seeing the diversity in gameplay and art styles in the OP makes all those foolish claims that indie games are mostly 2D platformers and pixel graphics seem laughable.

Toma

As usual, seeing the diversity in gameplay and art styles in the OP makes all those foolish claims that indie games are mostly 2D platformers and pixel graphics seem laughable.

Funnily enough, I was thinking of that as well yesterday when I created the OP.

And the hardest Impulse level until level 82, I present you, the dreaded level 52:
ugegNNK.gif

And level 82:
FINALLY. Whoever thought of making a level about landing on a slope was a masochistic genius.

That was fun. Especially my impromptu decision to go the Skynet resistance route with my posts.

Anyway, on to the good stuff:
Path of Shadows - Free (PC)
18.jpg

4.jpg

Trailer

Played this twice, it's very early (no sound when you get killed, some perfectly shadowed areas can't be teleported to, unoptimised framerate), but man the Tenchu vibes are strong in this one. The only thing Tenchu-esque you can't do is properly get on the rooftop, could only get on top of one building.

Made a few GIFs:
Teleport stealth kill
i7Mqjk5pJRtCq.gif

Killing in the shadows
i9ACBXbAHwZch.gif

Refilling your shadow level Journey-style
ifpxRHIYcvRLe.gif

This is how you hide bodies
iknIPs0BhH1FZ.gif

Aerial kill
iLeBS3mqkZByy.gif

Double kill
ibjECe4vZUNv11.gif

For a game that's been in 10 months of development, quite impressive. It's too bad that there won't be a final game until they get more funds :(

Played this twice, it's very early (no sound when you get killed, some perfectly shadowed areas can't be teleported to, unoptimised framerate), but man the Tenchu vibes are strong in this one. The only thing Tenchu-esque you can't do is properly get on the rooftop, could only get on top of one building.
Damn, I downloaded it and when I try to run, I get this:
"The program can't start because MSVCP110.dll is missing from your computer."

What do I need to download?

My guess is this
Hey, my tech friend to the rescue again! Thanks!

---
Okay, playing Outlast. Had to change the controls. How the hell are you guys used to using shift as a run button? Outlast, Shelter, other games...trying to use shift and WASD at the same time is just finger-breaking for me.

Congrats!

Hey, my tech friend to the rescue again! Thanks!

---
Okay, playing Outlast. Had to change the controls. How the hell are you guys used to using shift as a run button? Outlast, Shelter, other games...trying to use shift and WASD at the same time is just finger-breaking for me.

Next you're going to tell us you prefer 'c' to crouch instead 'Ctrl' :p

======================================================

Hofmann I'm playing Aliceeffekt and I'm liking it, even if I don't have any idea in what's going on. Everyone should give it a try.

Congrats!

Hofmann I'm playing Aliceeffekt and I'm liking it, even if I don't have any idea in what's going on. Everyone should give it a try.
Actually I usually switch sprint and crouch to Q and E, but in Outlast, those are used for leaning. So tab is sprint and shift toggles crouch so I don't have to hold the button.

And we can add Outlast to the list of games that I thought I might be able to run, but doubted, when in fact it runs pretty well. Granted, the settings are on low, but there's little to no lag or framerate issues. And it's not as scary as Amnesia (yet). Amnesia, I can barely play five minutes before turning it off. Here, I'm progressing just fine, and I'm even playing in the dark

If that one doesn't do it, it might be this one.
Downloaded and installed and I still get the message. Idk, guess I'll just put it aside for now

Toma

I watched the explanation and still dont get what this is.

Ashodin

Congrats!

THANKS! Demo coming verrrrrrrrry soon

Actually I usually switch sprint and crouch to Q and E, but in Outlast, those are used for leaning. So tab is sprint and shift toggles crouch so I don't have to hold the button.

And we can add Outlast to the list of games that I thought I might be able to run, but doubted, when in fact it runs pretty well. Granted, the settings are on low, but there's little to no lag or framerate issues. And it's not as scary as Amnesia (yet). Amnesia, I can barely play five minutes before turning it off. Here, I'm progressing just fine, and I'm even playing in the dark

You're the first person I know use this controls configurations, I'm so used to E being use and Q changing to previous weapon.

One guy from a site/podcast I follow also was surprise he could run it in his laptop, but it was missing some visual effects. Being the first game using UE4 makes the engine seems very scalable .

===============================================

Aliceeffekt

ejXMy63.png

Just wanted to say (because I somehow forgot) that I loved what Toma did with this thread. It also served to make me try Impulse, which is definitely an awesome game, so it's win-win. That I was the tenth guy needed to free him makes it all the sweeter. :)

Also, holy WTF at Paradise Lost; not only did I love love love their trailer and game concept when I saw it a few days ago on RPS, I've just now learnt that they're fellow Spaniards! I simply had to pledge (12$ because I'm poor).

Gazoinks

Played Path of Shadows a bit. Accidentally teleported and clipped inside a building early on, but other than that it seems pretty promising. Really stylish, and some cool mechanics. I'll give it another go later, but I'd love to see it expanded into a full commercial project.

willoneill

Neo Member
Hello NeoGAF,

Thanks for putting Actual Sunlight in the November Indie Games thread! Just wanted to let you guys know that you can download a free, complete 3D beta version of the game now if you're interested in checking it out. Unlike the original, it is available in PC / Mac / Linux (as opposed to just PC) and I would love to hear your thoughts on it, or answer any questions about it here in the thread!

Download it at: http://www.actualsunlight.com/downloads/

Thanks!

It's called Paradise!

Basically it's a multiuser interactive fiction, where you and other players can create anything out of nothing, using simple commands that can be found among other secrets while traversing this world.

I was following the name in OP.

You're the first person I know use this controls configurations, I'm so used to E being use and Q changing to previous weapon.
I like Q to sprint because it's feels natural to have all my fingers bunched up there, rather than trying to press ctrl or sprint at the same time. The fact that I'm a two-finger typer, and never learned to type with all my fingers might be a factor.

Also, holy WTF at Paradise Lost; not only did I love love love their trailer and game concept when I saw it a few days ago on RPS, I've just now learnt that they're fellow Spaniards! I simply had to pledge (12$ because I'm poor).
I thought Kickstarter wasn't available in Spain. I was chatting with the Path of Shadows devs and they said they'd be interested in KS, but it's not available in Spain.

Oh, and I was like the 24th or 25th backer on Paradise Lost. That's like the fastest I ever backed something, lol

Hofmann

I think it's like an interactive book where you are everything and nothing at the same time, it's strange in the begin but once you get it things things start to get fluid.
Just wait until you create you first time machine;)

To get started just type help, that should help you getting through the most basic functions.

I was following the name in OP.

Yeah, I know. Just wanted to point it out:D

I thought Kickstarter wasn't available in Spain. I was chatting with the Path of Shadows devs and they said they'd be interested in KS, but it's not available in Spain.

Yep. First clue was that the game will be released in English and Spanish (nobody priorizes Spanish anymore unless they're Spanish themselves). I scrolled down to find the staff, and they're all Spanish names. Which was more than I needed to do, as their location is listed right at the top of the page as Gijón (capital of the Spanish region of Asturias, coincidentally where my GF's father is from).

So, either the limitation was recently lifted, or they managed to find a workaround. If you talk to the Path of Shadows devs (also Spanish? Nice!) it might be worth their while to contact the, er, First Contact (no pun intended) devs to ask them about it.

Oh, and I was like the 24th or 25th backer on Paradise Lost. That's like the fastest I ever backed something, lol

Embarrassingly enough, I think this is the only thing I've ever backed. There goes my indie cred! :D

Top Bottom