• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [November] Now Voting - Post 720!

alllen

Neo Member
For any fellow devs out there Gamejolt is having a friendly contest: http://gamejolt.com/community/contests/

Top 3 entrants get a t-shirt, a featured spot on the front page, and a large handful of games.

Starts Nov9 and ends Nov18, which is a decent amount of time. Theme unannounced, obviously.

Depending on what the theme is I'll probably give it a go. I started out making games during game jams a couple years ago but the last time I participated was over a year ago, so it's about time I join one and see what I can come up with.

Hofmann

Ah, I see. Changed the post Well the teaser trailer for Flee is cool

Yeah, some enigmatic stuff.

Oh, and I saw your Fjords impressions, which I had somehow missed before. It sounds really great, I'll probably jump in when I clear my backlog a bit.

You should also check a new adventure game from the Clairvoyance guys called else { Heart.break() }. Just like in Fjords and Quadrilateral Cowboy coding plays a crucial role in it.
tumblr_mv0cijHt2y1s4eaplo1_1280.jpg
else { Heart.break } is a game about being able to change reality. It is set in a mysterious world made up of computers and their code; a place where bits have replaced atoms. The player – who is assumed to have no previous knowledge about programming – gets access to the code and is taught by other characters how to modify it. As the story unfolds the possibilities of what can be reprogrammed, hacked and controlled increases greatly. Eventually the inner parts of the gameplay code are revealed and the barrier between our own world and the game starts to dissolve.

Besides the programming aspect, we also focus on creating great possibilities for interactive drama. The game world will be inhabited by characters living their own little lives. Talking to them and becoming part of their world is a big part of the game and just being in the world should be a fulfilling experience in itself.

Hofmann

Eternic

Neo Member
Ok so time for a random stats update on Probably Archery. Last time I posted was just after the Greenlight launch and before there was any promotion. Since then sites like Rock Paper Shotgun, Kotaku, Destructoid, Joystiq and PC Gamer have had articles on the game and there's been some great Youtube videos including one by Rooster Teeth. Greenlight is going fairly well, although we've still got probably a few weeks before we get into the top 100.

ProbArchGif3.gif

Total Unique Demo Players: 8725
Total Oculus Rift Players: 912 (10.45%)
Total Gamepad using Players: 417(4.78%)

PC Players : 90.91%
Mac OSX Players : 0.81%
Linux Players : 8.27%

Targets Hit : 16452
Bullseyes Hit : 44 (0.27%)

I've definitely noticed a demo plays going up when there are popular articles or videos about the game, but the greenlight votes don't also follow at a relative pace. The Rooster Teeth video in particular didn't generate an equivalent number of greenlight votes compared to other video for it's huge number of views. I'm not sure why that would be besides perhaps them not mentioning the greenlight in the video whereas most others have. I had to frantically message them to get the greenlight link added to the description a few hours after it was first posted, but I don't think that would have had too much of an impact. The Steam community servers also went down a few times during popular periods which was unfortunate, but can't be helped.

Getting the Humble Store widget setup has been great because it's given us a way to give out keys, which I'm going to do below :). Please vote for the game on Greenlight.

Probably Archery Pre-Order keys:
Edit: All the keys were claimed! :)

Hi, great progress on Greenlight!
I claimed the first key (KW22UPnvVYGbYM5r); I'm planning on posting impressions on my blog next week. Good luck with your game!

heaadermeu6n.png

Frogatto and Friends is currently up on the indiegamestand (pay what you want and vote on greenlight http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=181850301).

Just observing a few screen should hint at the quality of this indie platformer. If you are a fan of SNES era 2D games you'll certainly see some immediate inspirations. From using the tongue to swallow and spit out enemies and other projectiles, to collecting coins and some reasonably tight platforming there is a lot of nostalgia through classic gameplay to be had here.

Reaching beyond those mechanics is a huge world to explore filled with suitably zany characters, locked doors and new abilities to gain. It isn't like you are going on a grand adventure, but there is plenty in here to see for the relatively low asking price.

Of course you are not quite getting the next Yoshi's island due to a few subtle issues with the controls and the odd rough edge here and there with collision detection. However you are still getting something that stands well enough on its own. The graphics are excellent and show plenty of diversity as you explore and the music matches the tone and action well. The overall presentation such as menus and some rough fonts could do with a bit of work, but that isn't a huge factor in the general flow of the game.

capture3vmsrt.png

It might be a game you have played before (in which case it might be worth another chance as it has grown a lot) and you may have it in another bundle. But if not it could be well worth checking out for a later steam key and perhaps some good clean platforming fun.

Lamptramp

Congrats that man, best of luck and there's a backing from me.

This is looking better every time I see it, can't wait to try it out on my Vita/PS

Played this twice, it's very early (no sound when you get killed, some perfectly shadowed areas can't be teleported to, unoptimised framerate), but man the Tenchu vibes are strong in this one. The only thing Tenchu-esque you can't do is properly get on the rooftop, could only get on top of one building.

That looks superb, I know what I'll be doing later. It can keep me entertained while I wait for the pre-alpha build of Rimworld to be sent out.

Whoa, many thanks for voting on SUPERHOT; getting the first place was a definite surprise for us.

I'm sorry, even we can't stop the Impulsecalypse . _.
You guys deserve every vote. I'm still playing the demo version. Any updates on how the game's progressing and any word on a downloadable version for the demo?

Interstellaria is starting its Kickstarter on the 6th
Command your own Starship! Take control of a powerful faster than light ship. You control the crew and the stations. Your skills as a commander will either help you to survive the perils of the galaxy, or cause your crew to perish. Your crew lead the way. You keep them fed, give them rest, and entertainment.

Assign them to stations to boost your ships abilities and level up their skills. Each crewman is unique and valuable. Each one you let die is a huge set back! Explore the galaxy! Trade between worlds, and use diplomacy to learn the secrets of the universe.

IF all else fails, make planet fall and explore the world on foot. Upgrades are everywhere! New ships are available at every port. Purchase helpful stations which you can place on board your ship to help your crew, or your combat abilities. Powerful guns and armor are available as well to keep the commander safe on his away missions.

7qc1XRo.png
(I'll change it to the proper template soon)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
If you're willing to give Luxuria Superbia demo a shot - do it now, as they're taking it down tomorrow after the game's launch. Pretty weird decision to take if you ask me.

Maybe because its not a "demo" and more or less the full game in Beta form? Still weird.

Hofmann

Maybe because its not a "demo" and more or less the full game in Beta form? Still weird.

Nah, they called it a Beta, but it's just four ''levels'' demo. Could be that the game will be free (slim chance to happen) or they will release standalone version of the demo. Who knows.

klinkcow

Neo Member
Played The Stanley Parable till my eyes burned...

...outstanding!

I don't know if there is a 'type' of game I enjoy more than these odd First-Person adventures.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Played The Stanley Parable till my eyes burned...

...outstanding!

I don't know if there is a 'type' of game I enjoy more than these odd First-Person adventures.

Did you play 999/Virtues Last Reward? I do think that Stanley Parable was a fantastic narrative experiment, but fell short with something that 999/VLR excelled in. The games felt rather similar in that regard, but Stanley felt less... grand and inspiring after seeing how the concept can be done way better.

Hard to talk about it/explain without knowing both games though.

Little PSA, there is a new bundle all stars here:
http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/majestic-indie-bundle/

The game of note is they have Shelter for a pittance. If you are someone like me and skipped that game over fears of its short length then it might be a chance to give it a go.

If you want it for even cheaper then it is gonna be in the next Groupees bundle. If they follow the 'pay only for what you want' scheme then it might be only like 0.75p in that deal.

Hofmann

Hm. Could be, but I think that is more likely:

Sigh.
I somehow understand what they did with MirrorMoon, because it was not representative of the quality of the final game.

Well, if someone has a Twitter account they could ask them for a reason: https://twitter.com/taleoftales/status/397267568408272896

And I'll buy the game to support ToT, but I think I'll wait to play it till I get an iPad to appreciate it fully, as it seems it's made to be touched: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBhv9p5NDnw

Little PSA, there is a new bundle all stars here:
http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/majestic-indie-bundle/

The game of note is they have Shelter for a pittance. If you are someone like me and skipped that game over fears of its short length then it might be a chance to give it a go.
You know what to do guys!

RPS was not very kind to Lilly Looking Through. Essentially it's gorgeous but really short...and just ends. It may not be as controversial as Dark Matter, but they said the game ends really abruptly and anticlimactically

RPS was not very kind to Lilly Looking Through. Essentially it's gorgeous but really short...and just ends. It may not be as controversial as Dark Matter, but they said the game ends really abruptly and anticlimactically

:(

I dont mind it being short but the mention to the abrupt ending don't give me the will to pay what the game is asking, too bad I was planning to buy it for my birthday, guess I'll have to choose another game, at least there are a lot of indie games to choose from. :D

Spierek

You guys deserve every vote. I'm still playing the demo version. Any updates on how the game's progressing and any word on a downloadable version for the demo?
Thanks! I can't disclose much yet, but we're working hard on the game and preparing a bunch of surprises - one of which should be revealed before the end of the year.

Indeed a well deserved win, Kudos and crumpets all round!
Thank you :)

alllen

Neo Member
I somehow understand what they did with MirrorMoon, because it was not representative of the quality of the final game.

Didn't realize they removed the old version. There are multiple solutions to that 'problem' and they probably chose the worst one. They could have simply put a disclaimer at the beginning of the old game, or changed the name. Or both. It's a shame they removed it, because it was pretty enjoyable.

Luckily for me I am a hoarder when it comes to indie games, I've kept copies of all my favorite titles in case they ever disappear from the internet. Think I have around 60 saved that I thought were worth saving; MirrorMoon is one of them.

Wok

There will be new indie bundles called "French cows", and these are the studios featured:

Here are the studios from the first pack, the LegenDairy Pack.

Jo99 Productions
Quantum Cat (William Dyce)
ThinkSlow
Benjamin Soulé

Here are the studios from the second pack, the Holy Cow Pack.

Armel Gibson
GSM productions
Labe.me
Pierre Corbinais

Have you heard of any of these before?

sheaaaa

Valdis Story: Abyssal City is a Metroidvania with a focus on combat that came out on Steam not long ago, and hasn't received much attention here I think.

I wrote a review here: http://bit.ly/1cLvQFI. If you're into deep combat mechanics this game might be for you, but as a platform fan I was really disappointed. Still, worth checking out impressions and a demo to gauge if you'll like it.

Some screenshots:

Toma

There will be new indie bundles called "French cows", and these are the studios featured:

Not me.

On a different note, someone already started going through the OP?

Toma

I've played 13 of the released games, need to try some of the IGF entries now

Btw, you've been playing Rimworld, Toma?

I've been playing the work-eat-sleep rhythm game mostly. Super tired in the past few days.

Toma

Apexicon barely made 1000 for the first week on KS. I think it was a huge missed oportunity not to start the KS immediately with a demo :(

Hope you get people to check out the KS again once the demo is up.

Not me.

On a different note, someone already started going through the OP?
I played Paradise, Collapse, Beyond Perception and Candy Box 2. I downloaded Fakteur, Cornerstone and Chrono Disfunglement but still haven't played it.

Beyond Perception

It's only a prototype but the game surprised me! The puzzles are clever and makes you need to think outside of the box, even reading the paintings descriptions is important because they have some clues in how to reach the exit. Unfortunatelly I got a little queasy while playing so I didn't "solve" all the rooms.
Edit: I forgot to say that the music is good in put you in the mood of the game.

Toma

I played Paradise, Collapse, Beyond Perception and Candy Box 2. I downloaded Fakteur but still haven't played it.

Paradise

It's only a prototype but the game surprised me! The puzzles are clever and makes you need to think outside of the box, even reading the paintings descriptions is important because they have some clues in how to reach the exit.

Paradise? You dont mean Paradigm?

Ashodin

Apexicon barely made 1000 for the first week on KS. I think it was a huge missed oportunity not to start the KS immediately with a demo :(

Hope you can people to check out the KS again once the demo is up.
We have rps and PC gamer looking at our tech demo. After that we'll tidy it up and release it to KS.

Paradise? You dont mean Paradigm?

I mean Aliceeffekt but Hofmann correct me saying the right name is Paradise.

I'm dumb, don't write quick opinions about a game when you have other open.

I think he means Beyond Perception. That game, levels are presented as paintings and have descriptions beside them

Yes! I wrote the wrong name because I was thinking about Paradise (Aliceeffekt)

Toma

I mean Aliceeffekt but Hofmann correct me saying the right name is Paradise.

I'm dumb, don't write quick opinions about a game when you have other open.

Yes! I wrote the wrong name because I was thinking about Paradise (Aliceeffekt)

Ah, still I should rename Aliceeffekt in the OP then. Missed the fact that it wasnt the correct name.

So I started playing They Bleed Pixels and The Ball

TBP is super fun. Love the mix of combat and platforming, even more than Dustforce. Fantastic pixel cutscenes too

Haven't gotten that far in The Ball, but I'm enjoying it. What's the general consensus here?

Krystof Koreni

Neo Member

A few of them. Pierre Corbinais runs Oujevipo, which is sort of like the French version of Indie Statik or Terry Cavanagh's FreeIndieGames.

William Dyce is doing a lot of work for and in the indie scene down in the south of France, and is involved with the game (jam) group Baptême du Jeu.

And then, like Dyce, Armel Gibson was also exhibiting at the Retro No Futur expo near Paris a few weeks ago, with Gulag Paradise (or here for IndieGames' summary of GP).

His free game MoshiMoshi was also picked up by FIG, IndieGames, and then Eurogamer back in May.

Cornerstone

Played for a bit and I liked it so far, it has some problems but it's an alpha version so I'll disregard them. The platform and the combat parts feels ok nothing too astonishing, one of the positive points for the game it the Wind Waker vibe he's able to pass.

Chrono Disfunglement

My laptop wasn't able to run it the game crash after the main screen.

Top Bottom