• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son Update Incoming: Change Time of Day, HUD Off, 30FPS Option

The "Online Only" generation continues.

I can't imagine having an offline current gen console. Not given the state the typical single-player game ships in these days.

burgerdog

This should make the game a bit more playable on vita, right? It felt jittery the last time I tried it, sort of like killzone.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
holy shit 30 fps locked YESSSS

I can't imagine having an offline current gen console. Not given the state the typical single-player game ships in these days.

so post release support is bad because some people don't have the internet?

panda-zebra

10 days (was missing from OP before edit) and this kind of update - impressive.

It's not an April Fools joke, it'd hardly work on any level if that was the idea. I think they could come up with something far more fun than these requested update features.

EktorPR

YES! Great news. After Platinum'ing the game yesterday, this (and the Paper Trail missions) will make me go back to it these next few weeks/months.

Thank you, Sucker Punch! :D

Omega

Banned

Yep, because we all know inFAMOUS was a broken, unplayable mess because it didn't have ToD, HUDless option and a locked framerate.

Very awesome to see this type of support so soon after launch. I suspect the time of day options will just toggle between the 7 or so ToD's that appear during the campaign, probably not a 24 hour clock.

Levyne

Banned
Maybe I'm a sap, but calling it a "Shut up neogaf" update seems a bit negative :(

What if they just want to polish the game based on feedback from neogaf/twitter? I know the result is the same but the connotation is different.

Yep, because we all know inFAMOUS was a broken, unplayable mess because it didn't have ToD, HUDless option and a locked framerate.

Um I don't think he was implying anything of the sort about this game specifically. Seems a bit antagonistic for no reason :(

Wow. This is really cool of them.

And people saying this is april fools... It's also the beginning of the week! Probably discussed the possibility of it happening on Monday.

if they keep working on the game, maybe they could come up with a 60 frames option where graphics would take a hit in some ways.

Level of detail would take a big hit, it would have ton of pops and shadows disappearing in the distance.

LoD kills the FPS and so does the AA they decided to use

Level of detail would take a big hit, it would have ton of pops and shadows disappearing in the distance.

LoD kills the FPS and so does the AA they decided to use

It would be very surprising to hear that a post process AA takes up serious amounts of performance. Especially when considers the cost incurred with SMAA T2x on PC.

4_14_antialiasing_gratgsb5.png

What exactly is wrong with the "state" of this game as it shipped?

And really not seeing what's "online only" about this. You can still play through the entire game without taking your PS4 online once.

Great news, I wondered about ToD adjustment which has now been answered :)

I would love to know what they have planned with regards to DLC. I loved the Vampire campaign they did (even though it was standalone), would buy anything like that for iSS.

psychotron

This is great news! I may still ring Sony to see about exchanging my system. From the videos I've shown people here, the frame stutter and texture pop-in on my system is much worse than theirs. Anyone know if Sony will send me a new one straight away or wait to get mine in their possession first? That'll suck not having it for weeks.

MDSLKTR

Great update. Is there a way to quickly delete massive amounts of screenshots on the ps4? All the 200+ screenshots I have are useless now due to the hud

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It is? I remember I had to switch back to FXAA in Crysis 3 cause that AA was causing a lot of frame drops especially in the multiplayer. I was using a 7970

It's more taxing than FXAA but it's still not all that heavy. Are you sure you were using T2x in Crysis 3 and not 2xSMAA?

Raptor

Since non of this are particularly fixing something I had a problem with I will continue my Evil Run, I liked the game how it is a lot.

But is really great that they are making this changes, the more options for all the better.

Orayn

It is? I remember I had to switch back to FXAA in Crysis 3 cause that AA was causing a lot of frame drops especially in the multiplayer. I was using a 7970

Using SMAA T2X is indeed more expensive than using just post-processing AA, due to the temporal component.

If I remember correctly, the performance cost is supposed to be comparable to 2x MSAA.

ethomaz

Banned
The only issue with framerate lock is that you lost responsibility in gameplay... thanks it is a option.

Killzone option to lock in 30fps is less responsible than the unlocked.

SMAAT2x has a neglible cost for its coverage samping. Maybe you were using SMAA HIgh? (the one with MSAA)

This is awesome news. I'm going to hold off on my evil playthrough till this hits.

I see that NotTheKillguy's "no-beanie" option fell on def ears at Sucker Punch. lol

Raptor

Great update. Is there a way to quickly delete massive amounts of screenshots on the ps4? All the 200+ screenshots I have are useless now due to the hud

Yes there is a way to select all of them, sadly I can't remember, is not hard to find it though.

Now I realize this is a useless post lols.

mishakoz

Good stuff, but surprised at how they worded the time of day thing. Sounds like you just pick a time, not a dynamic thing.

Second son doesn't have a dynamic lighting system, the whole thing is a cheat where they rendered a great deal of the way lighting and shadows occur in the world ahead of time, thus making a dynamic system impossible.

Darksol

I actually enjoy the unlocked framerate, but this is good news for those who don't. Ditto the option to disable the HUD. Changing the time of day is a nice bonus.

You listen well Sucker Punch! :)

aY227

Very, cool for Sucker Punch to do it. More devs should learn to appreciate gamers with such small, but still quite relevant options in their games.

Kudos to great team from Seattle.

Using SMAA T2X is indeed more expensive than using just post-processing AA, due to the temporal component.

If I remember correctly, the performance cost is supposed to be comparable to 2x MSAA.

well there you go :p thnx

FXAA gave me the best performance in Crysis 3

Top Bottom