• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son Update Incoming: Change Time of Day, HUD Off, 30FPS Option

This is great news! I may still ring Sony to see about exchanging my system. From the videos I've shown people here, the frame stutter and texture pop-in on my system is much worse than theirs. Anyone know if Sony will send me a new one straight away or wait to get mine in their possession first? That'll suck not having it for weeks.

Sony makes you send in your console before sending a replacement. The whole process took 3 weeks for me and was a terrible experience.

McLovin

Sweeeeet! It never drops below 30 so I wont be using the 30fps option. I will definitely use the time change and HUDless options. ISS looks amazing in sunset/night time settings. I would like an option to go back to the village. Just have a prompt come up when you get to the end of the highway.

Mindman

Awesome news. Only just recently started, will wait to continue playing after the patch so I can lock at 30 FPS.

Thank you for listening to feedback, SP.

Kemal86

Time of day option is nice. This is my first Infamous game and I couldn't believe there wasn't a day/night cycle.

R_Deckard

Great they are adding the 30fps option for those that want it, but I will leave it as unlocked as it appears smooth and great for me (only slow panning has some small judder).

Time of Day and Hud off is superb news, well done.

Please dont be an april fool

ThisOne

Sounds like it won't be locked at 30 fps, just that it will be capped at that. Meaning there are parts of the game that drop below 30 fps now and they will continue to drop that low after the update.

farisr

The only issue with framerate lock is that you lost responsibility in gameplay... thanks it is a option.

Killzone option to lock in 30fps is less responsible than the unlocked.

I agree, that damn Killzone left his stuff all over the floor and let his pet hamster die of hunger when he was locked at 30fps.

Using SMAA T2X is indeed more expensive than using just post-processing AA, due to the temporal component.

If I remember correctly, the performance cost is supposed to be comparable to 2x MSAA.

It DEFINITELY does not have a comparable performance penality to 2XMSAA. 4x may, but not 2Tx. The temporal component is actually really cheap. Just look at the graph I posted wiht the performance metrics of SMAA modes in comparison to FXAA and MSAA...

I mean,just look at the performance graph I posted....

Timu

"Change Time of Day, HUD Off, 30FPS Option"

This will make the game perfect!!! Game looks best at night and evening as well. And the HUD has to go.

I have a doubt, would there be an option to let the game hover at the unlocked frame rate? I am with sucker punch on this, I've always preferred the unlocked frame rate right from the first game.

Musolf815

Good good, I was a little peeved that the time of day didn't change post game but I wasn't expecting a patch for it so quickly.

Internally we prefer the unlocked frame rate, but we recognize that some players find it distressing. So we’ll provide a way to ensure the game is not bumping up over 30FPS, if that’s how you prefer to play.

I hate the "everything should be 60fps even if it means the game will look like Oni on PS2" argument but there are people who actually prefer it not to go above 30fps at all?

This sounds like an April fools joke.

skybald

Well the next PS4 firmware update allows Twitch streaming archiving. I was waiting for the 30 FPS locked patch, so now I think I am going to have to do my evil/expert playthrough live on Twitch and be able to watch it later!

It would be very surprising to hear that a post process AA takes up serious amounts of performance. Especially when considers the cost incurred with SMAA T2x on PC.

4_14_antialiasing_gratgsb5.png

the link is broken

Thx, fixed the link!

gadwn

Kinda regret taking 1 billion screen shots now...

Oh well, going for another billion I guess. Lovely update SP!

IndustryX

Awesome update!!! Now just give me the option to repopulate Seattle with the DUP so I can take there command posts out all over again, except this time with all my powers unlocked! New Game + lite

Skilletor

I hate the "everything should be 60fps even if it means the game will look like Oni on PS2" argument but there are people who actually prefer it not to go above 30fps at all?

Fluctuating framerate causes judder and variable input lag. Locked framerates are more consistent and can provide a better gameplay experience for many people.

Theecliff

Banned
Great update!

The amount of screens I've already taken is crazy, but now that we can turn the HUD off I'm gonna end up filling my entire harddrive with shots. Incredible looking game.

Also, nice idea with the framerate. Will try it out to see if I prefer it or not.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Consistency is often better looking than frame rates slightly above 30, though in the case of Second Son, I didn't really notice any issues. I'll try out the 30 lock anyway, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't make much difference to me.

Orayn

It DEFINITELY does not have a comparable performance penality to 2XMSAA. 4x may, but not 2Tx. The temporal component is actually really cheap. Just look at the graph I posted wiht the performance metrics of SMAA modes in comparison to FXAA and MSAA...

I mean,just look at the performance graph I posted....

In that case, I did not remember correctly. :p

Must have been thinking of some other form of temporal AA. TXAA? Some version was claimed to be similar to 2x MSAA, I dunno.

Yeah, that sucks. Thanks for the info. Did the system appear brand new or a refurb type deal?

I received a brand new console and there were no shipping charges included. The wait for shipping in three directions extended the time period pretty much. Support was nice enough, but I wish they could have just charged a credit card, sent a new console, and then refunded me like MS does for the console and Kinect at least (they don't for controllers... ugh).

Chuck

Still without luck
Sucker Puch is awesome. These are like the three big things I was hoping would get fixed and now they are.

Maybe I'll go through and do that evil play through after all...but I still don't want to see evil Delsin. :<

Teletraan1

Banned
I will wait for the patch that enables next gen game play. /s
essler

Looks like I will get the superior first play through experience by holding off on buying this.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
30fps cap pushes this much higher on the buy list for me. In an ideal world this setting would be standard.

ethomaz

Banned
Consistency is often better looking than frame rates slightly above 30, though in the case of Second Son, I didn't really notice any issues. I'll try out the 30 lock anyway, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't make much difference to me.
Unlocked frame rate increases response time of the controls....

Locked = Better image (no screen tearing) / Worst controller response time
Unlocked = Worst image (screen tearing) / Better response time

It is a trade in/out... advantages and disadvantages.

I prefer always unlocked even on PC.

This update makes me happy, I was playing this two nights ago and the judder was driving me insane.

I'll never get why devs do variable framerates but at least include the option to lock it down from the start please.

Top Bottom