• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward confirms: CoD Ghost is 720p on Xbox One, 1080p on PS4

Wereroku

Damn. Both Sony and Microsoft greedy for those store purchased backgrounds I imagine. Twats. Could this functionality theoretically be patched in?

MP3 playback surely can?
In the other thread Greenberg said you can use xbox music which can apparently sync with your mp3s somehow. Sounds like no to me as far as native playback is concerned.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
There will probably be a few more. Sports titles likely (though I expected COD would be a likely 1080p too, so who knows if that will go for all of them). Maybe Skylanders? Haven't heard about the XB1 version.

Nah, there's the usual couple of sports games, and Crimson Dragon.

No.

FIFA and NBA 2k14 are native 1080p, I think.

Not sure about Madden.

Ah, OK. I don't follow sports games so those feel under my radar. I had heard about 2k14 now that you mentioned it but it slipped my mind.

Mikey Jr.

Ok, thanks guys.

125% still seems like a ton. When you say 720p versus 1080p, it doesn't seem like a lot. But when you put that into a percentage, it just kinda hits you what a jump that is.

ad backgrounds. :)

0282_c9yzf.gif

holy shit, does this thing even play games?

EDIT: oops. now i see Forza up there

Have you ever considered that with that 125% increase of pixels, it's not a 125% increase in fun? In fact, I bet all that time spent allocating resources towards 1080p, IW couldn't fit in as much fun as the 720p versions. Just something to mull over.

Seriously!

Don't Gaffers know that MS have very smart people that invented Direct X?!?!?!

mazillion

1920*1080 = 2,073,600
1280*720 = 921,600

2,073,600/921,600 = 2.25 which is 225% more pixels HOLY MOLY!

EDIT: Did I do something wrong?
100 percent more is 2 times as many pixels. You probably thought 2 times more is 200 percent more. 2.25 times more is 125 percent more.

cchum

I'm starting to think XB1 can't do 60 fps at higher than 720p with deferred engines. Remember that weird golf game. That runs at 720p too and looks bad even for current-gen.
powerstar-golf-xbox-one-1370899902-001.jpg

Wanna bet this a 60 fps title too?

Deferred renderers need large framebuffers....which isn't ESRAM size.

The 360 had this problem too for awhile, until developers started to ignore the Edram

Pretty sure many COD players don't care (game currently is in sub-HD on current gen) but the game running worse on the console/brand the game is more popularly known for is messed up.

This gen's "Madden 30 FPS" news IMO.
Hold up, now. I've seen this "people won't care" stuff quite enough, and I haven't caught up on the rest of the thread yet. The people who don't care about resolution/which console ruins their games the best are NOT early adopters. So for this game, it really does matter because a large portion of people buying these new toys DO care.

Anyway, time to read 10 more pages.

ypo

I have a funny feeling Xbone will look better in screen comparisons (unless you view them at 1080p). The PS4 is not 125% more powerful anyway you look at it. I'm guessing Xbone will be better in a few ways to somewhat make up for the raw pixel pushing that the PS4 can do. Maybe even better models, tessellation or textures.

The Funny Feeling of 1080P Cloud Power.

Tabular

Banned
John Carmack: the two consoles are functionally identical in terms of what they can do.

“It’s almost amazing how close they are in capabilities, how common they are,” Carmack said. “And that the capabilities that they give are essentially the same.”

Was he lying or misrepresenting the obvious truth?

Pain

Banned
Damn. Both Sony and Microsoft greedy for those store purchased backgrounds I imagine. Twats. Could this functionality theoretically be patched in?

MP3 playback surely can?
Both consoles are 100% capable of playing MP3s. Why they decided to not allow it at launch is the big question.

aronmayo2

Banned
A crap sounding song in lossless quality is still a crap sounding song. A good sounding song in 128kbps (highly compressed) is still a good sounding song.

A crap movie with terrible special effects in 4k resolution is still a crappy looking movie. A really great looking movie displayed in 480i is still a really great looking movie, despite the resolution disparity.

Why don't people apply the same logic to games?

Resolution means nothing in and of itself.

mitchman

Gold Member
Both consoles are 100% capable of playing MP3s. Why they decided to not allow it at launch is the big question.

Someone has to make the UI for the player and visualizations etc. At this stage, those people are hard at work on the priority 1-2 items for the launch window instead. Priorities change. I'm more surprised that they didn't seem to have metrics on how many play mp3 or use DLNA on the PS3. Even if that was only 5% of the gamers, it's still a loud bunch if those 5% rely on the functionality.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
A crap sounding song in lossless quality is still a crap sounding song. A good sounding song in 128kbps (highly compressed) is still a good sounding song.

A crap movie with terrible special effects in 4k resolution is still a crappy looking movie. A really great looking movie displayed in 480i is still a really great looking movie, despite the resolution disparity.

You act as if you can't have both.

KMS

Deferred renderers need large framebuffers....which isn't ESRAM size.

The 360 had this problem too for awhile, until developers started to ignore the Edram

Ignore the edram on the 360 you lose around 10GB/sec ignore the esram on the XBO and you lose almost 100GB/sec.

VanWinkle

Resolution doesn't mean EVERYTHING, you mean. If I have a choice between DVD and Blu-Ray, you better believe I'll choose Blu-Ray. If I have a choice between lossless song quality and 128kb, you better believe I'll choose lossless. And when it comes to games, you better believe I WILL apply the same logic.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson

So, if Xbone launch titles were 480i, you would be good?

Tabular

Banned

In theory your right. If I could get Avatar quality assets at 720p this gen I wouldn't complain. But all else being equal, twice the pixels makes a big difference.

Edit: This is roughly 720p...

Ty4on

Was he lying or misrepresenting the obvious truth?

Misrepresenting I'd say. He's talking more about how both have the same CPU and GPU architecture and wasn't allowed to say which one was best.

Really though, I don't understand how anyone on GAF didn't see this coming. They have the same HW only PS4 has a 50% larger GPU and more than twice the memory bandwidth. The Xbox One partly overcomes the bandwidth deficit by using ESRAM, but optimizing for two memory pools is time consuming and with only 32MB to play with also limiting. We basically knew all of this before any were even announced. The only change that happened was 8GB GDDR5. This was never PS3 vs 360 because the core architecture was identical.

Top Bottom