• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward confirms: CoD Ghost is 720p on Xbox One, 1080p on PS4

Well no... they would just optimize each platform to they're respective strengths. 720p frees up resources for other stuff. I'm not saying xbone will get a better version. But maybe, just maybe certain advantages?

On the ps4 since it can run at 1080p and they dropped the resolution to 720p then we would be freeing up resources but on the xb1 we can't necessarily say it will have free resources.

Also, if they add effects to the xb1 at 720 and they can't add those same effects to the pS4 running at 1080p then they'd probably drop the resolution to 900p and add the effects.

badb0y

A crap sounding song in lossless quality is still a crap sounding song. A good sounding song in 128kbps (highly compressed) is still a good sounding song.

A crap movie with terrible special effects in 4k resolution is still a crappy looking movie. A really great looking movie displayed in 480i is still a really great looking movie, despite the resolution disparity.

Why don't people apply the same logic to games?

Resolution means nothing in and of itself.

It's the same game man.

Why would they lower the resolution on the Xbox One to add more effects and not do it on the PS4? The only reason PS4 is 1080p is because it was able to do what the developers wanted at that resolution and remain at 60 FPS. Use your brain, don't be ignorant.

Darmik

In the other thread Greenberg said you can use xbox music which can apparently sync with your mp3s somehow. Sounds like no to me as far as native playback is concerned.

On the Surface you use Xbox Music to play your saved MP3 files. It's just the name of the media player I think.

orioto

Good Art™
In theory your right. If I could get Avatar quality assets at 720p this gen I wouldn't complain. But all else being equal, twice the pixels makes a big difference.

Edit: This is roughly 720p...

It's always good to precise this is not a 720 picture, like a 720p game. This is a more than 2000p rendered picture with heaaaavy AA, then downsampled at 720p. Oh sure if a console can do that now, you can compare.

Any way you look at it MS dun goofed. Be it immature dev tools, half baked release plans, underpowered hardware. It might not matter as much in a few years but it does now.

Glad I don't like MP centric FPS like these two anyway though ;p

Tabular

Banned
Damn. Both Sony and Microsoft greedy for those store purchased backgrounds I imagine. Twats. Could this functionality theoretically be patched in?

MP3 playback surely can?

And I was hoping Sony wouldn't use Cinavia on PS4. Looks like Sony is making a stand against piracy. (Which I can't say is wrong I just don't like it when everyone else gets away with it an I can't)

aronmayo2

Banned
In theory your right. If I could get Avatar quality assets at 720p this gen I wouldn't complain. But all else being equal, twice the pixels makes a big difference.

This is essentially what I'm saying. Obviously 1080p IS better. But more emphasis should be placed on art, effects and overall image quality - which, believe it or not, is not dependent on resolution. Just because COD is 720p on 360 and on XB1 doesn't mean they will look the same - the Xbox One version will still have a clear advantage in the effects and image quality department.

People seem to be saying that because last gen was 720p standard and XB1 is running 720p (on some titles) that the XB1 is somehow not much more powerful than previous gen...when in reality it is still much, much more powerful than the 360. If you ran COD Ghosts on XB1 with the same effects, textures etc as on the 360 version then you'd probably be able to get it up above 1080p at 60fps easily. Developers would rather match visual fidelity of the PS4 version , but running at a lower resolution, than scale back effects just to reach 1080p.

Finalizer

Really though, I don't understand how anyone on GAF didn't see this coming. They have the same HW only PS4 has a 50% larger GPU and more than twice the memory bandwidth. The Xbox One partly overcomes the bandwidth deficit by using ESRAM, but optimizing for two memory pools is time consuming and with only 32MB to play with also limiting. We basically knew all of this before any were even announced. The only change that happened was 8GB GDDR5. This was never PS3 vs 360 because the core architecture was identical.

Lots of folks 'round here did see this much coming, though I am a bit surprised to see something as wide as 720p vs. 1080p, 'specially in CoD; expected it to be limited to 720/900 or 900/1080 if there were differences.

Still makes it that much more entertaining reflecting on the months of nonsense tech threads went through as a certain subset of fanboys employed every level of mental gymnastics to whittle away the obvious hardware differences. ESRAM latency magic can finally be put to rest, I think.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is essentially what I'm saying. Obviously 1080p IS better. But more emphasis should be placed on art, effects and overall image quality - which, believe it or not, is not dependent on resolution. Just because COD is 720p on 360 and on XB1 doesn't mean they will look the same - the Xbox One version will still have a clear advantage in the effects and image quality department.

People seem to be saying that because last gen was 720p standard and XB1 is running 720p (on some titles) that the XB1 is somehow not much more powerful than previous gen...when in reality it is still much, much more powerful than the 360. If you ran COD Ghosts on XB1 with the same effects, textures etc as on the 360 version then you'd probably be able to get it up above 1080p at 60fps easily. Developers would rather match visual fidelity of the PS4 version , but running at a lower resolution, than scale back effects just to reach 1080p.

Have you actually seen what Ghosts looks like? The only thing that's different effects-wise between current and next gen is some tessellation.

Tabular

Banned
It's always good to precise this is not a 720 picture, like a 720p game. This is a more than 2000p rendered picture with heaaaavy AA, then downsampled at 720p. Oh sure if a console can do that now, you can compare.

MSAA is down sampled as well so yes you can make a game run 720p with that IQ. But my point was 'assets'.

I think next gen the finer lines and the cleaner overall image will make aliasing more apparent. That's why I think 720p will be an issue. It'll stand out more. We're already seeing aliasing issues from both consoles

Respawn

Banned

http://neogrotesque.net/wp-content/uploads/avatar-7.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

Please stop talking or posting of things you know nothing of or how to explain.

The problem with your post is that we are comparing to the PS4, not the 360. Obviously the XB1 version will look better than the 360. But the game will look better on the PS4 because it will use the same assets AND render at a higher resolution.

The XB1 is much more powerful than last gen. It's also much weaker than its competitor this gen. Hence why some say it's not truly next gen (hyperbole, obviously).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

This shot is downsampled from 4k with 32x MSAA (or something similar).

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.

Nope, 360 has nothing to do with this. These are comparisons of the new consoles. PS4 clearly has the hardware edge and most, if not all, cross platform games are going to look and perform better there.

KMS

Except without the resolution and AA all the details will become lost and muddied. People posting gifs switching between a 1080P shot with massive AA then a downscaled shot restretched are being misleading. The same image rendered in 720p right off the bat won't have same clarity and fidelity as a highly downsampled shot.

Wereroku

On the Surface you use Xbox Music to play your saved MP3 files. It's just the name of the media player I think.

Yeah I messed up he said you could stream with Xbox Music. I have no idea how all of this will shake out but even if Sony wanted it in now there is no way they have time for launch. Who knows if they will though their entertainment priorities are very different.

Yoday

A crap sounding song in lossless quality is still a crap sounding song. A good sounding song in 128kbps (highly compressed) is still a good sounding song.

A crap movie with terrible special effects in 4k resolution is still a crappy looking movie. A really great looking movie displayed in 480i is still a really great looking movie, despite the resolution disparity.

Why don't people apply the same logic to games?

Resolution means nothing in and of itself.
Are we back in 2005? It is like the people that argued that HD didn't make a difference compared to SD. I have a hard time believing that any of these "720p is good enough" people would still be happy with 480i, yet it is the same argument eight years later, just different numbers.

astraycat

MSAA is down sampled as well so yes you can make a game run 720p with that IQ. But my point was 'assets'.

Whoa. That's not a 720p asset. Movie assets are far, far more tessellated than anything you'd find in a video game.

MSAA only goes to 16 samples, and only at the edges of geometry. Every pixel in that frame likely has hundreds if not thousands of samples applied to it. The computational power it took to generate that frame could probably render days worth of CoD frames at 60fps.

Bgamer90

Banned
Are we back in 2005? It is like the people that argued that HD didn't make a difference compared to SD. I have a hard time believing that any of these "720p is good enough" people would still be happy with 480i, yet it is the same argument eight years later, just different numbers.

Well 720p is still HD. 480i isn't. That's on top of the fact COD on current gen isn't in HD either.

So overall, I can understand if people are fine with playing COD in 720p on a next gen console. Personally, I couldn't be any less interested in COD but this is definitely pretty big news seeing that COD is more popular on the Xbox.

Interested in seeing how next year's version will be. Should be at least 900p by then since the devs won't have to rush for a console launch right? I guess we'll soon find out...

Well 720p is still HD. 480i isn't. That's on top of the fact the COD on current gen isn't in HD either.

So overall, I can understand if people are fine with playing COD in 720p on a next gen console. Personally, I'm couldn't be any less interested in COD but this is definitely pretty big news seeing that COD is more popular on the Xbox.

Interested in seeing how next year's version will be. Should be at least 900p by then since the devs won't have to rush for a console launch right? I guess we'll soon find out...

Anyone that says 720p is enough is just justifying a purchase. 1080p should be the standard at all times.

First world problems. At least people know what they are getting before they purchase.

Any more info about the rumour that Infinity Ward is working towards a X1 patch for Ghosts to make it run at 1080p?

lem0n

I know this isn't quite the place to ask, but what is the consensus on how Ghosts plays? I'm a huge CoD4/Black Ops 1 fan but hated 2. The netcode made it impossible to play. Also seemed like there was less health. I was able to keep a steady 1.65 k/d throughout most of the CoD games but in BO2 it was like 1.15.

I know no one knows how it plays online, but has anyone had any hands on with story/split-screen(or maybe even online beta tests, idk) that can tell me how it plays? I'm looking forward to this game but don't want to play another game like BO2.

Sorry I'm so out of the CoD loop, I apologize if my questions seem stupid.

silent

Neo Member
So the same game being released on both consoles. The console with better resolution will have bad game play then the console with worse resolution. Is that what some people are trying to say?

I might as well get the game on current gen. It will have the best game play.

First world problems. At least people know what they are getting before they purchase.

Any more info about the rumour that Infinity Ward is working towards a X1 patch for Ghosts to make it run at 1080p?
Is that a misterxmedia rumor? Yeah, they're going to patch the XB1 to be more powerful. Downloadable GPU/RAM or power of the cloud? YOU DECIDE!!!

I've heard something about a second GPU on the power brick. Anyone else?

No. They simply don't have the same standards as you.

In the year 2013 after 1080p TVs have been the standard for YEARS why on earth would you pay 500 dollars for a brand new system and say 720p is enough.

Joke post or what?

Yoday

Render resolution determines the clarity of the art. There is a huge disparity in texture clarity between 720p and 1080p. You aren't going to see the difference in a compressed YouTube video, but the difference is massive. You also lose a lot of detail in objects that are rendered further away. Your other examples of music and movies are flawed in that they don't work in the same way games do. Movies are shot at a much higher resolution than what you are seeing on your screen, and special effects are rendered at insanely high resolutions and then downsampled to 1080p for Blu-Ray and 480p for DVD. There is a huge difference between rendering at 720p and displaying at 720p. The same could be said for music. If you recorded the music at a high level you are still going to get a certain quality out of it, even when played back at a lower level. However, older music from the early 1900's at the highest bit rate possible can still sound bad.

If the Xbone were rendering at 1080p and displaying at 720p we would be having a completely different debate. PS4 games rendered at 1080p are going to look better being displayed at 720p than an Xbone game rendered at 720p and displayed at 720p.

ad backgrounds. :)

0282_c9yzf.gif

I feel this is a misrepresentation.

As other have stated it will able be a stream from you're cablebox if you have that on the HDMI pass through. Your're not viewing ads that MS is piping to ou in the background. You'll be viewing TV and that includes ads.

MS wouldn't run ads like that on the XBone, at least not yet.

I know it was posted in jest but someone is going to take it as a truthfact.

Top Bottom