• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward confirms: CoD Ghost is 720p on Xbox One, 1080p on PS4

There's always something...

dGPU
eSRAM > high latency GDDR5
12 CU's more ~balanced~ than 18
The power of SHAPE
Amazing new Hardware Upscaler!

Seriously the mental gymnastics are mind boggling

The hardware scaler argument is probably the funniest overall.

Because even if it were a real difference (all modern GPUs have hardware scaling...), it could not be a point of pride. Look our games run at lower res! But we swear they look magically higher res!

You can't software patch hardware that is underpowered when compared to its competition.
Obviously, the difference in rendering performances in COD Ghost is not consistent with our expectations reading the specs for both consoles. We expected 40~50% more rendering power in favour of PS4, not more than twice so, obviously, something went wrong for IW when developing for XB1. I guess something can be done software wise to put XB1 at the level of performance it is expected.

That's why these kind of call out/meltdowns are useful. Activision and MS will feel the pressure to do something about it instead of getting away with it. If it is fixed by launch, I think this resolutiongate blow out and gamer pressure will have to be thanked for. You can bet MS, EA and Activision's engineers are, right now, working their asses together to fix that.
The problem is you can't "fix" hardware that is inferior, at the end of the day unless EA and Activision are deliberately downgrading visuals of games in order to lessen the gap between the consoles, there's nothing else they can really do. If they gimp their own games, they risk being outclassed by competitors and first party Sony titles. It almost makes sense that MS would try to obfuscate the issues either through leveraging a certain segment of the gaming press or through their employees via tweets or forum posts, they definitely had a more cozy relationship with the gaming press than Sony ever did.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Microsoft and those promoting it have been the Fox News of information delivery. I won't say more about it's most ardent followers and enthusiasts lol.

To be fair, we haven't seen Cerny's birth certificate yet. What does Sony hide?

Microsoft just needs to stop trying to convince us that there is parity. The facts speak for themselves, powerwise the ps4 outclasses the xbox one. Multiplatform games are always going to look worse on the xbox one. The most concerning thing to me though is how future multiplaform games are going to manage on the xbox one when they will barely be able to run at 720p 30fps on the ps4.

BigDug13

Microsoft just needs to stop trying to convince us that there is parity. The facts speak for themselves, powerwise the ps4 outclasses the xbox one. Multiplatform games are always going to look worse on the xbox one. The most concerning thing to me though is how future multiplaform games are going to manage on the xbox one when they will barely be able to run at 720p 30fps on the ps4.

Why does this keep being said? We are 7 years into this gen and nobody has dropped their games down to 480p. So why is it assumed that 5 years from now everyone will drop PS4 down to 720p?

Why does this keep being said? We are 7 years into this gen and nobody has dropped their games down to 480p. So why is it assumed that 5 years from now everyone will drop PS4 down to 720p?

Because this gen we started with some 1080, and often ended up less than 720. So, the pattern could easily repeat, rather than improving.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Let's do this again:

i5inXNk1pPigu.gif

Dukey

Banned
That's why these kind of call out/meltdowns are useful. Activision and MS will feel the pressure to do something about it instead of getting away with it. If it is fixed by launch, I think this resolutiongate blow out and gamer pressure will have to be thanked for. You can bet MS, EA and Activision's engineers are, right now, working their asses together to fix that.

They were working on it regardless.

BigDug13

Because this gen we started with some 1080, and often ended up less than 720. So, the pattern could easily repeat, rather than improving.

What retail games were 1080p this gen? There's only a handful. 720p was norm when starting the generation and 720p is norm finishing the generation.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

I agree that MS needs to stop fighting the spec/performance war, they've already lost. It's got to the point where they're resorting to lying and deception to try to win that war, and I think that's causing more of a backlash against them than they would get otherwise.

MS needs to take the Nintendo approach, admit you don't have a powerful console and try to play up the unique features of the X1.

JLeack

Banned
Diminishing returns, revolutionary up-scaler, higher graphical effects.

Did I get them all?

Thanks for sticking your neck out. I agree with every fiber of my being.

I havea high end gaming PC so I know exactly what to expect, and it's not as great as people think it is.

Well that has been the attitude towards PC games for the last 6 years.

No it hasn't. Why do you keep making this sort of shit up? The attitude towards PC games here is that they'll always have unquestionably the upper hand as far as IQ goes as long as you have the hardware to back it up.

somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but the PS4 review is coming tomorrow right? and then supposedly the X1 review comes on the 12th?

hope there's some major difference in next gen versions, moreso than resolution, but also effects and such.

Ishan

somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but the PS4 review is coming tomorrow right? and then supposedly the X1 review comes on the 12th?

hope there's some major difference in next gen versions, moreso than resolution, but also effects and such.

xbone review 12th . eveything else in 2 hours.

Truespeed

Transparency isn't their style. They'll never admit that they have the inferior console spec wise. They'll just continue to use redirection, spinning and bullshit to weave their version of the truth. Their emphasis is on locking as many people into their platform/ecosystem before they realize what a mistake they've made. The next 5 years are going to be a tough journey for the Xbox one. Their only hope is to lock down as many game and DLC exclusives as possible and hope people like their content better.

Top Bottom