• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward confirms: CoD Ghost is 720p on Xbox One, 1080p on PS4

Curufinwe

The PS4 and Xbox One have the same hardware scalers that exist in ALL AMD 7xxx series cards and can scale any output resolution to 1080p (and maybe beyond to 4K). Those scaling hardware blocks are GPU components just like the CU's and ROPS.

The reason for the PS4 scaler FUD was due to DF not really knowing what they're talking about and saying this in their BF4 face-off:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-next-gen-vs-pc-face-off-preview
"This should surely be a home run for Sony's console, but what is likely to be a software-based upscale to 1080p delivers less-than-stellar returns, and for better or worse leaves the Xbox One with an often crisper looking, albeit much more aliased image."

This DF quote, ladies and gentlemen, proves beyond a reasonable doubt, that DF DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT. DF looked at the Xbox One's incorrect gamma and sharpening filter, PS4 motion blur, and the FXAA solution in the PS4 version that slightly blurs textures and guessed immediately went Xbox super awesome scaler > PS4, which is false. They simply projected the scaling issues from the PS3 to the PS4 and incorrectly guessed that PS4 is doing a software upscale. All 7xxx series cards and APU's based on them have hardware scalers and developers have no reason to not use them as they're free.

As far as scaling games, both consoles have equivalent scalers. Only difference is MS can scale 3 different outputs, required for Game, UI, Snap, compared to 2 for PS4.

Sorry for the long read but this "DF software upscaler FUD" really pissed me off and I wanted to set things straight.

Man, when you lay it out like that... my opinion of DF just keeps dropping.

scandisk_

Unconfirmed Member
People are forgetting that Microsoft has a deal with developers that no rival consoles may have more graphics than them. That means that the PS4 and XBox One version of Ghosts has the same amount of graphics. But keep in mind the PS4 is 1080p which means the graphics are stretched, while XBox One's 720p is the sweet spot and graphics are much closer together which gives a better-looking, more succinct experience.

In conclusion, if you run the same game on 1080p hardware and 720p hardware, the 720p will look way better. Now sprinkle that with some crushed blacks (XBox One exclusive feature) and the games look-not next-gen- but neo-gen (that's more than next-gen).

Hope this clears stuff up.

This is how you play the game guys.

Doczu

People are forgetting that Microsoft has a deal with developers that no rival consoles may have more graphics than them. That means that the PS4 and XBox One version of Ghosts has the same amount of graphics. But keep in mind the PS4 is 1080p which means the graphics are stretched, while XBox One's 720p is the sweet spot and graphics are much closer together which gives a better-looking, more succinct experience.

In conclusion, if you run the same game on 1080p hardware and 720p hardware, the 720p will look way better. Now sprinkle that with some crushed blacks (XBox One exclusive feature) and the games look-not next-gen- but neo-gen (that's more than next-gen).

Pass me your stuff man, i want to see it just like you.

Amazing post.

Doffen

Anyway how can anyone be interested in any of the above titles, we barely know anything about those games. Seems like you are grasping at straws. MS announcing these titles so early shows how desperate they are, it personally feel Xbox One exclusive line up will not compare to PS4

Justin systems by launch window lineup is really short sighted.

So Xbox day One buyers are either grasping as straws or short sighted?
Got it.

PhatSaqs

Banned

lmfao. Just wow...

Bodde

Banned

Chris-Rock-HUH-WTF.gif

cebri.one

I don't know if I'm LTTP, but I see this Xbox scaler secret sauce FUD being stated by a bunch of posters, and it's time for some facts:

The PS3, PS4, 360, One ALL have hardware scalers. These scalers are simply GPU fixed-function blocks in all of them and they don't cost anything to use. The scalers are not separate chips, they're just a section inside the GPU.

The PS3's RSX has a hardware scaler that's shitty and broken as it cannot scale an image both vertically and horizontally. It can only scale horizontally. It's being used in such games like GT5 and Motorstorm Apocalypse (2D mode) where it stretches a 1280x1080 native render to 1920x1080, or at Wipeout where the resolution is dynamic but only scaled horizontally between 960x1080 through 1280x1080, 1600x1080 etc, only through the horizontal axis.

This means that any game that's not rendering at somethingx1080 or native 720p is being upscaled via software on the PS3. This includes all the COD games, GTA4, Crysis 2,3, etc. This is done at a minor cost to performance and more importantly memory, which is very precious on the PS3. This also explains why most PS3 games output at 720p, as there is no way to scale 720p to 1080p in hardware in the PS3 and it leaves it up to your TV to scale it. ANY SOURCE that's not 1080p that you watch on a 1080p TV is scaled to 1080p by your TV no matter what the input is, unless you letterbox it and use only half your TV to view it, which nobody does.

The lack of a proper scaler that works in both dimensions in the PS3 is also the reason why some games render at 480p when you don't have the 720p output option checked in the preferences, like some people did 8 years ago when there were many TV's that supported 1080i (1080i is the same resolution as 1080p, it's just not progressive) but not 720p. Uncharted 2 will render at 960x1080 and use the RSX's scaler if you disable 720p and enable 1080. Towards the end of the generation, most games on PS3 just used a software scaling solution that cost very little performance, and more importantly some memory. Also even very little performance can make a difference when you need all of it, obviously.

The Xbox 360 did not have any of these problems because the AMD GPU inside can scale any resolution to 1080p just fine.

The PS4 and Xbox One have the same hardware scalers that exist in ALL AMD 7xxx series cards and can scale any output resolution to 1080p (and maybe beyond to 4K). Those scaling hardware blocks are GPU components just like the CU's and ROPS.

The reason for the PS4 scaler FUD was due to DF not really knowing what they're talking about and saying this in their BF4 face-off:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-next-gen-vs-pc-face-off-preview
"This should surely be a home run for Sony's console, but what is likely to be a software-based upscale to 1080p delivers less-than-stellar returns, and for better or worse leaves the Xbox One with an often crisper looking, albeit much more aliased image."

This DF quote, ladies and gentlemen, proves beyond a reasonable doubt, that DF DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT. DF looked at the Xbox One's incorrect gamma and sharpening filter, PS4 motion blur, and the FXAA solution in the PS4 version that slightly blurs textures and guessed immediately went Xbox super awesome scaler > PS4, which is false. They simply projected the scaling issues from the PS3 to the PS4 and incorrectly guessed that PS4 is doing a software upscale. All 7xxx series cards and APU's based on them have hardware scalers and developers have no reason to not use them as they're free.

As far as scaling games, both consoles have equivalent scalers. Only difference is MS can scale 3 different outputs, required for Game, UI, Snap, compared to 2 for PS4.

Sorry for the long read but this "DF software upscaler FUD" really pissed me off and I wanted to set things straight.

Great explanation.

darkwing

first time I've heard of neo-gen

Tsundere

Banned
It kind of does, Microsoft has linked themselves to COD with great effect, and the fact that COD runs better on a cheaper system could damage that perception notably.

Sony could turn that perception around just as much as MS turned around GTA being synonymous with the Playstation brand.

And, that is all on Microsoft, so what? Better hardware runs the game better, news at 11.

Pug

Is this the quote they added to the review? "
If there's an indisputable star of the show here, it's plainly the all-new, all-singing, all-shooting Frostbite 3 engine that blazes out at 900p on PS4 (and at 720p on Xbox One). Both versions looked stunning, though the consensus was that the PS4 version definitely shaded it."

Vastly has changed to shaded. Those Journo's!

I don't know if I'm LTTP, but I see this Xbox scaler secret sauce FUD being stated by a bunch of posters, and it's time for some facts:

The PS3, PS4, 360, One ALL have hardware scalers. These scalers are simply GPU fixed-function blocks in all of them and they don't cost anything to use. The scalers are not separate chips, they're just a section inside the GPU.

The PS3's RSX has a hardware scaler that's shitty and broken as it cannot scale an image both vertically and horizontally. It can only scale horizontally. It's being used in such games like GT5 and Motorstorm Apocalypse (2D mode) where it stretches a 1280x1080 native render to 1920x1080, or at Wipeout where the resolution is dynamic but only scaled horizontally between 960x1080 through 1280x1080, 1600x1080 etc, only through the horizontal axis.

This means that any game that's not rendering at somethingx1080 or native 720p is being upscaled via software on the PS3. This includes all the COD games, GTA4, Crysis 2,3, etc. This is done at a minor cost to performance and more importantly memory, which is very precious on the PS3. This also explains why most PS3 games output at 720p, as there is no way to scale 720p to 1080p in hardware in the PS3 and it leaves it up to your TV to scale it. ANY SOURCE that's not 1080p that you watch on a 1080p TV is scaled to 1080p by your TV no matter what the input is, unless you letterbox it and use only half your TV to view it, which nobody does.

The lack of a proper scaler that works in both dimensions in the PS3 is also the reason why some games render at 480p when you don't have the 720p output option checked in the preferences, like some people did 8 years ago when there were many TV's that supported 1080i (1080i is the same resolution as 1080p, it's just not progressive) but not 720p. Uncharted 2 will render at 960x1080 and use the RSX's scaler if you disable 720p and enable 1080. Towards the end of the generation, most games on PS3 just used a software scaling solution that cost very little performance, and more importantly some memory. Also even very little performance can make a difference when you need all of it, obviously.

The Xbox 360 did not have any of these problems because the AMD GPU inside can scale any resolution to 1080p just fine.

This DF quote, ladies and gentlemen, proves beyond a reasonable doubt, that DF DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT. DF looked at the Xbox One's incorrect gamma and sharpening filter, PS4 motion blur, and the FXAA solution in the PS4 version that slightly blurs textures and guessed immediately went Xbox super awesome scaler > PS4, which is false. They simply projected the scaling issues from the PS3 to the PS4 and incorrectly guessed that PS4 is doing a software upscale. THERE IS NOTHING COMMON ABOUT SCALING BETWEEN THE PS3 AND PS4, THEY USE DIFFERENT GPU VENDORS! All 7xxx series cards and APU's based on them have hardware scalers and developers have no reason to not use them as they're free.

Thx

This has to be a troll or sarcastic post

No freaking way is this not a joke

Right ?

Right guys ?

TheD

The Detective
This DF quote, ladies and gentlemen, proves beyond a reasonable doubt, that DF DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT.

I have noted that the writer of that article (Thomas Morgan) has made huge technical mistakes in a number of articles and thus is clearly not very knowledgeable about tech.

liquidtmd

Banned

This treads the line of satire and what's actually passing for journalism at the moment so closely, I can't even tell what is real lyfe

Hold me GAF

I like you.

Mr.Ock

Post of the year right here

You make some interesting claims, do you have links for that, I'd love to know more. I didn't know it forms part of the GPU.

Sparse Voxel Octree Global Illumination is a "real thing". It's just not in either version. :p
I thought that was SVOCGI
But yes he could mean that.... Either way a few hours before the XO version is "confirmed" to be running it ;P

Edit: doesn't Everquest next use it?

This DF quote, ladies and gentlemen, proves beyond a reasonable doubt, that DF DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT. DF looked at the Xbox One's incorrect gamma and sharpening filter, PS4 motion blur, and the FXAA solution in the PS4 version that slightly blurs textures and guessed immediately went Xbox super awesome scaler > PS4, which is false. They simply projected the scaling issues from the PS3 to the PS4 and incorrectly guessed that PS4 is doing a software upscale. THERE IS NOTHING COMMON ABOUT SCALING BETWEEN THE PS3 AND PS4, THEY USE DIFFERENT GPU VENDORS! All 7xxx series cards and APU's based on them have hardware scalers and developers have no reason to not use them as they're free.

Boom, headshot. DF has been speaking out of their asses for a long time. DF is unqalified to do any tech analysis.

For some reason i lost it at "in conclusion", lol.

Skeff

Good post. It's been annoying me since DF said it but I haven't managed to put it so well, nice Job.

Marleyman

Banned
This generation. As proven by the drop in market share for the PS3, WiiU, and likely the XB1, brand loyalties don't span console generations. It's like someone presses a reset button and each console, and games for that console, must stand on its own.

You are not factoring in the online component this gen.

"There is no way we're giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony,” said Albert Penello, Xbox's senior director of marketing and planning, last month. “And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious."

He continued: "I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it's been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better."

That Penello guy...

has he seen Uncharted 2?

and The Last of Us?
and Beyond?
and Uncharted 3?

Sweep14

Unbelievable

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe's_law

I mean, I'm pretty sure, but it's awfully close to what is being written by some news sources.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm a gamer foremost (I have no allegiance to either brand) and I will go where the games are, I don't need to validate myself/my purchases against other peoples.

Me too, that's why I'm not buying an xbox until they can prove they won't drop support 3-4 years in like they did with their other 2 systems. I mean if you want to talk about just games there's plenty of criticism to throw at MS there too.

I have noted that the writer of that article (Thomas Morgan) has made huge technical mistakes in a number of articles and thus is clearly not very knowledgeable about tech.

Not attacking Mr Morgan here as I'm sure he's a good, honest guy.

But he was recruited relatively recently and he seems to be quite young. So I don't think he is going to be an authority on GPU tech or hardware etc. Not anywhere close. He's obviously just a journalist with good technical knowledge.

Even Leadbetter himself is someone who is self-taught with regards to his subject area. He's not a dev or programmer.

So I would expect mistakes in the technical details with some regularity when it comes to the finer points of computer graphics or hardware. The problem is there isn't any other big publications doing the type of comparisons DF do, so a lot of what is typed there is taken as gospel by the wider audience.

You are not factoring in the online component this gen.
So This Time Will Be Different™ from every other gen in history? Jenniferlawrence.gif

There's no evidence that it will matter, man. It might, it might not. Either way, it's not a strong enough assumption to state as fact.

QaaQer

9/10 :)

Ashes

Banned
Ah I see the Journalistic Revolt is now happening in regards to X1, check out this article from VideoGamer
http://www.videogamer.com/features/article/pixelated_xbox_ones_720p_problem_is_the_biggest_deal-breaker_yet.html

How long before they all start? over on CVG Andy has already commented in the Review section that EA said they are not allowed to talk about the X1 but since others have they amended there review to reflect this.....very telling indeed.

He's right. No idea, what Dice were thinking. Turn off some other effects, and put a half decent AA solution in for pete's sakes.

This isn't to persuade XB1 gamers to abandon ship, but I just think that a half decent looking showpiece like this needs a little more affection. Regardless of what platform you play on.

edit: talking about BF I was.

sephi22

I can't even fathom the mental gymnastics you have to do to believe this

CoG

all I'm reading is that the Xbox One has the better svogi scaler.

For shame PS4, for shame.

Well, Xbox One has svogi version 1.4 where the PS4 has version 1.3. 1.4 added texticular occultation and narrowed the subpixel PWM depth rate from ~1.7Gf/s down to about ~1.2Gf/s (depending on which benchmark you believe). That along with the compressed vertex sparse tree matrix flyweight algorithm patented by MS and only in the Xbox One flavor of DX 11.2+ is going to give them a substantial bandwidth advantage once developers figure it all out. The November dev kits go out tomorrow so maybe too late for launch but E3 is going to be interesting :)

kasane

I give you the gold medal for mental gymnastics

Thanks Blobbers; this shit just made my day.
Good shit!

Tsundere

Banned
Ah I see the Journalistic Revolt is now happening in regards to X1, check out this article from VideoGamer
http://www.videogamer.com/features/article/pixelated_xbox_ones_720p_problem_is_the_biggest_deal-breaker_yet.html

How long before they all start? over on CVG Andy has already commented in the Review section that EA said they are not allowed to talk about the X1 but since others have they amended there review to reflect this.....very telling indeed.

Perhaps foolishly, I also believed Microsoft's bullish claims about its machine's capabilities.

"There is no way we're giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony,” said Albert Penello, Xbox's senior director of marketing and planning, last month. “And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious."

He continued: "I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it's been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better."

People actually believed Penello?!

Jack_AG

Banned

Jeremiah%20Johnson%20nod.gif

Top Bottom