• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice 2 Roster Discussion & Speculation Thread

Alienous

Damian Wayne
Swamp Thing
Captain Cold
Mr Freeze
Poison Ivy
Bane
Catwoman
Cheetah
Hal Jordan
John Stewart
Brainiac
Black Adam
Zoom
Dr Fate
Power Girl.

I doubt the 'leak' for a few reasons, namely:

• No returning Cyborg, despite him being in the Justice League movie.
  • Captain Cold instead of Captain Boomerang for a Flash villain. If they wanted an 'ice' villain and already have Mr. Freeze going with Killer Frost seems like a better pick, especially considering that she was in Injustice 1.
  • No returning Ares, despite the Wonder Woman movie (though Netherrealm may not have known the Wonder Woman movie until it was too late)
  • Too many clones. Zoom, Power Girl, John Stewart. Power Girl would probably be a Supergirl set of armour, I imagine.

I'm going with fake.

Ryce

No returning Cyborg, despite him being in the Justice League movie.
Captain Cold instead of Captain Boomerang for a Flash villain.
No returning Ares, despite the Wonder Woman movie (though Netherrealm may not have known the Wonder Woman movie until it was too late)
Too many clones. Zoom, Power Girl, John Stewart. Power Girl would probably be a Supergirl set of armour, I imagine.

I'm going with fake.
Cyborg's in the leak. Here is the full list. And Captain Cold's gun was teased. He has a 99% chance of being in the game.

Regarding the clones, this is an alleged leak for the mobile version of the game. The mobile version of Injustice 1 also had clones, such as Reverse-Flash. The likely scenario is that Zoom, Power Girl, John Stewart, Cheetah, and Mr. Freeze are clone characters in the mobile game and alternate costumes in the console version.

Spinky

Captain Cold is totally in this, his cold gun can be seen at the beginning of one of the old trailers. Plus he almost made it into Injustice 1, I think? Ed's also been making a ton of tweets about the cold weather recently, for what it's worth...

And I wouldn't really think of the clone thing as that significant since they made Batgirl DLC last time, for some reason. Zod, too.

One thing that I hope NRS changes by the launch of the game are the K.O. animations where a character falls down and staggers to get back up.

They never looked good.

Captain Cold was so popular he was brought into Legends of Tomorrow as a hero.
And he's getting revived as a villain again, apparently.

I think NRS are going to go a route that's very similar to what Marvel is doing with their games - tie into the movies and TV shows, especially the popular characters there. And both Killer Frost and Captain Cold are in the CW-verse and also pretty popular in them, so I have doubts Mr. Freeze would make it in above either.

Alienous

Cyborg's in the leak. That's not the full list. And Captain Cold's gun was teased. He has a 99% chance of being in the game.

Oops, I missed that. And I forgot about the Captain Cold gun.

Joker
Bane
Poison Ivy
Swamp Thing
Black Canary
Catwoman
Cyborg
Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
Green Lantern (John Stewart)
Cheetah
Firestorm
Flash
Scarecrow
Green Arrow
Captain Cold
Brainiac
Damian Wayne
Black Adam
Doctor Fate
Power Girl
Zoom
Mr. Freeze

This is much more believable. I'm still surprised at the omission of Captain Boomerang - this would have been developed with Suicide Squad on the horizon, and a Suicide Squad game in development. The lack of a third Suicide Squad representative - Captain Boomerang, Katana, Killer Croc - doesn't seem right.

Mr. Freeze instead of Killer Frost still makes me doubt, but as you said he could be a mobile game exclusive. Or maybe he has something to do with the story. If that's the case then omitting Killer Frost, another ice villain, sort of makes sense.

I'm sort of surprised by the lack of Static Shock, but maybe being a Milestone character instead of strictly being a DC one influenced that. I just don't expect that, after Raiden in MKX, Netherrealm would pass up an opportunity to reuse their electricity effects. I guess Aquaman, Shazam and Black Adamn sort of use them though.

And Power Girl being a seperate character instead of an outfit seems doubtful. Maybe that isn't possible with the way i2 handles its character customization to do another Dick Grayson / Damian Wayne thing, and Power Girl could play a role in the story.

The rest of the list makes sense.

Spinky

I really feel like Katana has a good chance of making it, dunno why. Probably partly wishful thinking, but I wouldn't be surprised if she was the female character in one of the Kombat Packs or something. Or the equivalent to that.

Damian is better than Jason anyways . Real Damian! De-age him! I want to beat up Superman with a 12 year old -- is that asking too much?

Y'know maybe NRS earned enough good will with WB that they dont need to do the whole cross-promotion racket

If that was the case, then WB probably wouldn't have forced them to have a pre-order DLC character.
Cross-promotion is in the interest of everyone. It's basically free money by selling costumes.

Well maybe not shutting down the racket completely.

But they got Supergirl, Deadshot, Captain Cold, revived Green Arrow, and the preorder character and maybe that was enough to satisfy the suits

Satisfy the suits? Of Warner Bros. no less? You're a funny guy.

REERsQa.gif

Neoxon

If that list is real, then I suppose Marvel isn't only one focused on using games to promote their movies & shows. At least I'd get Black Canary.

Yeah tbh I agree, I'm not a fan of the Batman subset getting even more characters while really interesting characters from IJ1 got the axe.

Killer Frost, Luthor, Sinestro, Zatanna, Manhunter, Zod all getting cut? Fuck no.

Ryce

Luthor and Sinestro seem like safe bets for DLC. With 28 characters on the starting roster and half of them being newcomers, it's hard to come up with a satisfactory list of 14 returning fighters. That's 15 cuts from the first game no matter what. I just wish some of the DLC characters are included, namely Martian Manhunter.

delSai

Just curious, did the MKX roster leak before release? I only remember some DLC guys showing up on the Xbox site or whatever before being revealed.

Spinky

I pray for the day Raven gets a complete overhaul. I practically begged for her to be on the first game and now I wish she'd never made it so they could do something better now.

Khezu

Martian can stay gone and never come back.

And yes, with 28 characters, a lot of cuts are going to be made, of really good characters.

There is no way around that.

I understand why Bane made it back in, as he was kind of a weird fan favorite from a gameplay perspective, but fucking Catwoman coming back?

sinkfla87

I gotta say if there's no Martian Manhunter then I'm going to be a very sad man. However, I think before everyone writes the game off because they aren't big fans of the roster should wait and see some gameplay of the characters before they do so. There's characters in IJ1 that I'm not particularly fond of outside of the game that I grew to love because of how fun they were to play.

Spinky

I always had a feeling Catwoman would make it. She seems like one of those characters NRS would just put on practically every game because they like them or whatever, despite not being too popular. Like Kano.

I'm not really basing this on anything though, so uh yeah. I can just feel it in my bones, y'all.

Khezu

I gotta say if there's no Martian Manhunter then I'm going to be a very sad man. However, I think before everyone writes the game off because they aren't big fans of the roster should wait and see some gameplay of the characters before they do so. There's characters in IJ1 that I'm not particularly fond of outside of the game that I grew to love because of how fun they were to play.

I think Injustice 1's roster was even more ass, so that's not gonna change my opinion on buying the game.

Disgusting DLC practices might make me reconsider buying it new though.

Compbros

Assuming the leak is even true, Poison Ivy and Scarecrow don’t strike me as forced characters. They have genuinely interesting and unique gameplay hooks. It’s not about being enticed by these specific characters, but as a casual fan of comic books and superhero media I’d be happy to see them included.

Also, I’d consider Atrocitus, Blue Beetle, and Doctor Fate as Ares/Killer Frost tier characters in the eyes of the general public. Like Ares and Killer Frost, they’ve made minor TV appearances but they’re far from mainstream.

I didn't say they were forced, just not really needed if the goal is to entice Batman fans. You say it's not the goal but I dosagree. If you have Batman, Robin, Joker, Harley, and X with X being interchangeable between Ivy/Red Hood/Catwoman/Freeze/Scarecrow, whomever it's still a good list for casual Batman fans/players. Added 4 more Batman characters to the list of the 5 I posted is overkill when there's so many properties and characters to pull from.

Fine, but let's say Catwoman makes it in. Why should she be in over, say, Cheetah? (I know she's part of the leak but it's for arguments sake). Why should Freeze make it over someone like Weather Wizard that offers his powers and so much more? You have to make casuals that will never pick up a comic give a crap about characters and you do that by putting them in tv shows, movies, and games. 9 batman characters out of 28 is excessive, it's almost a third of the roster. Even for your most popular franchise that's excessive.

I'm pleased with that roster, you're never going to get one perfect to your tastes but that seems like a good balance of old favourites, popular characters of the moment and nice obscure picks.

Compbros

I'm pleased with that roster, you're never going to get one perfect to your tastes but that seems like a good balance of old favourites, popular characters of the moment and nice obscure picks.

Superman, Supergirl, Lex, Brainiac

Batman, Robin, Joker, Harley, Ivy

Wonder Woman, Circe

Flash, Captain Cold, Grodd

Green Lantern, Atrocitus

Aquaman, Black Manta

Black Canary, Dr. Fate, Static, Vixen, Martian Manhunter, Swamp Thing, Blue Beetle, Deadshot, Black Adam, Starfire.

This list accomplishes the same thing with the (supposed) 28 man roster without being swamped by Batman characters.

Edit: Keep in mind I didn't labor over this list nor is list of what I'd like to see but just a quick one to show how the "fan favorite, popular now, and obscure" line of thinking can be done and still have a more diverse cast.

Ryce

I didn't say they were forced, just not really needed if the goal is to entice Batman fans. You say it's not the goal but I dosagree. If you have Batman, Robin, Joker, Harley, and X with X being interchangeable between Ivy/Red Hood/Catwoman/Freeze/Scarecrow, whomever it's still a good list for casual Batman fans/players. Added 4 more Batman characters to the list of the 5 I posted is overkill when there's so many properties and characters to pull from.

Fine, but let's say Catwoman makes it in. Why should she be in over, say, Cheetah? (I know she's part of the leak but it's for arguments sake). Why should Freeze make it over someone like Weather Wizard that offers his powers and so much more? You have to make casuals that will never pick up a comic give a crap about characters and you do that by putting them in tv shows, movies, and games. 9 batman characters out of 28 is excessive, it's almost a third of the roster. Even for your most popular franchise that's excessive.
Catwoman has been one of DC's most iconic characters for more than 70 years. She's a staple. It doesn't matter what franchise she comes from -- a good character is a good character. One of the reasons that Batman is such a popular franchise is because of its incredible cast of characters. Conversely, nobody really gives a shit about Wonder Woman's enemies. There's a reason that Catwoman is on the DC Universe Online cover instead of Cheetah or Circe or Ares.

Also, I really don't think Mr. Freeze is actually going to be a standalone character. If the leak is legitimate, he'll probably just end up being an alternate costume for Captain Cold. Weather Wizard obviously wouldn't make any sense as an alternate costume.

RedHill

Banned
Imo, Injustice 1 and MK9 had an amazing roster. MKX and if that leak is real Injustice 2 have very underwhelming rosters. Not much diversity and a lot of same old.

EulaCapra

Why are some people thinking that Catwoman and Cheetah are interchangeable? One is a Gotham thief with a whip and the other has the superhuman powers of a god that's able to go toe-to-toe with Wonder Woman.

sinkfla87

Also, I really don't think Mr. Freeze is actually going to be a standalone character. If the leak is legitimate, he'll probably just end up being an alternate costume for Captain Cold. Weather Wizard obviously wouldn't make any sense as an alternate costume.

Agreed on all fronts. Dr. Fate and Captain Cold are a lock I say based on the shirt. Also, there's a lot of talk of Sub Zero being DLC but I think we're going to get a different MK character. Boon hinted at Reptile as DLC a while back, not sure how everyone would feel about that but I'd be okay with it. I also expect Spawn and Constantine as DLC.

For me, fighters live or die by its roster. What is the point of a great gameplay if there is no character I want to use?

I think the smarter picks are what characters are currently in movies and shows, especially now that Deadshot will probably be replacing Deathstroke. So Captain Cold would make sense because he's a major villain on The Flash show, while Killer Frost is a second pick because she's not as prominent on the show.

Ryce

Why are some people thinking that Catwoman and Cheetah are interchangeable? One is a Gotham thief with a whip and the other has the superhuman powers of a god that's able to go toe-to-toe with Wonder Woman.
Everyone in Injustice is capable of going toe-to-toe with each other. Harley Quinn can defeat Superman. From a gameplay perspective, Catwoman and Cheetah are both feline-inspired claw fighters. Of course, any two characters can be differentiated if the designers put enough thought into it, but realistically, NRS is unlikely to include both Catwoman and Cheetah as unique characters. Cheetah's not inherently super unique nor does she have the popularity to get in on name value alone.

Compbros

Catwoman has been one of DC's most iconic characters for more than 70 years. She's a staple. It doesn't matter what franchise she comes from -- a good character is a good character. One of the reasons that Batman is such a popular franchise is because of its incredible cast of characters. Conversely, nobody really gives a shit about Wonder Woman's enemies. There's a reason that Catwoman is on the DC Universe Online cover instead of Cheetah or Circe or Ares.

For MKX many staples were put to the side to make way for new characters. At some point you have to test the waters with new blood to see how people react. The reason people care so much about Batman's characters and villains is because they were GIVEN THE CHANCE TO CARE: TV shows, movies, cartoons, video games. There's so many ways to get into Batman.

Look at the list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_franchise_media

Now look at this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Woman_in_other_media

It's embarrassing considering Wonder Woman is supposedly one of the Trinity of DC Comics. Who's gonna give a fuck about Ares, Cheetah, Circe, Big Barda or anyone else if they don't even know their name because they hardly exist outside of comics? You need exposure to gain popularity and Batman gets more exposure than ANY DC universe.

Another list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Universe_Animated_Original_Movies#Released_projects

Starting with Batman: Year One in 2011 here's the released DC animated movies in order:

Code:
Batman: Year One 
Justice League: Doom 
Superman vs. The Elite 
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns – Part 1 	
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns – Part 2 	
Superman: Unbound 
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox 
Justice League: War
Son of Batman 
Batman: Assault on Arkham 
Justice League: Throne of Atlantis 
Batman vs. Robin 
Justice League: Gods and Monsters 
Batman: Bad Blood 
Justice League vs. Teen Titans 
Batman: The Killing Joke

2 Superman Projects, 6 Justice League Projects, and 8 Batman Projects. Of the past 6 years Batman's output alone ties the output of EVERY OTHER ANIMATED MOVIE COMBINED. How are you supposed to get into Wonder Woman without reading comics?

Edit: Before the movies who gave a fuck about Thor and Loki? Now Loki is one of the most popular comic villains in mainstream.

Ryce

Before the movies who gave a fuck about Thor and Loki? Now Loki is one of the most popular comic villains in mainstream.
We're talking about video games, not Hollywood blockbusters. A fighting game isn't going to propel anyone to stardom. The Wonder Woman movie will probably help, but Ares is still incredibly obscure even after his appearance in the first Injustice.

• No returning Cyborg, despite him being in the Justice League movie.
  • Captain Cold instead of Captain Boomerang for a Flash villain. If they wanted an 'ice' villain and already have Mr. Freeze going with Killer Frost seems like a better pick, especially considering that she was in Injustice 1.
  • No returning Ares, despite the Wonder Woman movie (though Netherrealm may not have known the Wonder Woman movie until it was too late)
  • Too many clones. Zoom, Power Girl, John Stewart. Power Girl would probably be a Supergirl set of armour, I imagine.

I'm going with fake.

They make sense.

Captain Cold is a very popular character on TV ATM, so it would make sense to include him. In the main stream, Captain Boomerang was a flop.

The clone characters also make sense because they could simply be alternate attires. It makes the roster larger with much less effort, and a lot of people would want those characters. Zoom is big due to the show, and Stewart has always been popular. He was an alternate in the ultimate version.

I think the smarter picks are what characters are currently in movies and shows, especially now that Deadshot will probably be replacing Deathstroke. So Captain Cold would make sense because he's a major villain on The Flash show, while Killer Frost is a second pick because she's not as prominent on the show.

Not as prominent on the show? Killer Frost is a main character on The Flash. Yes, her powers haven't started manifesting until this season (at least the main universe version's), but she's been there since episode 1.
Captain Cold has only been in a few episodes of the CW shows, and was there for the first season of Legends of Tomorrow. Granted, the fact he was so popular in The Flash was the likely reason he even got onto LoT, but still - saying he's more prominent than Killer Frost is a bit disingenuous. That said, Wentworth Miller is a fantastic actor and his depiction of Snart is great.

adj_noun

I'm a big Batman fan but I ain't greedy. Injustice doesn't need to be absolutely overwhelmed with Bats.

As long as the roster has Keaton Batman, West Batman, Conroy Batman, Bale Batman, Batfleck, Rainbow Batman, Robin, Nightwing, Red Hood, Commissioner Gordon, Harvey Bullock, Renee Montoya, Alfred, Batgirl, Batwoman, Huntress, Catwoman, Joker, Riddler, Two-Face, Penguin, Bane, Scarecrow, Killer Croc, Clayface, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Firefly, Hush, Killer Moth, Mad Hatter, Maxie Zeus, Harley Quinn, Great White Shark, Calendar Man and Ventriloquist I'll be happy.

Top Bottom