• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inside Playstation 4 Pro: How sony made the first 4k games console

Good read, as someone who has a 1080p plasma (love the response time) and does not intended to upgrade to 4k for at least a year, I am looking forward to getting hands on with 1080 modes with ultra settings. Mass Effect is going to be a treat.

I thought Sony would go with PS4k as the console name, but reading articles like this show Sony were right to avoid that. owners of 1080 screens have plenty to look forward to. 1080 at ultra settings may in many titles be more impressive than 4k mode.

ethomaz

Banned
Just some bits about FP32 and FP16.

The use of FP16 instead FP32 are less accurate and generates a degradation in image quality.... not every process can use FP16 too (some parts full precision is needed).

tzare

it really seems a well thought upgrade, without breaking the bank. Hope it is successful and can help to improve future strategies for console refreshes/generations.

I do not plan to upgrade, but seems they have considered many variables when designing it, from cost, to performance an reliability for old games.

valkyre

So, in the end, which is better? Checkerboard rendering or geometry only rendering?

From what I gather ( i dont know a lot of tech stuff) checkerboard requires more resources, but is it vastly better than going with geometry only rendering?

So, in the end, which is better? Checkerboard rendering or geometry only rendering?

From what I gather ( i dont know a lot of tech stuff) checkerboard requires more resources, but is it vastly better than going with geometry only rendering?

Yes, checkerboard has you shading twice as many sample so it should result in a more accurate image.

pottuvoi

Banned

Texture and shading quality with checkered can be identical to native 4k.(At least opaque surfaces and when nothing moves.)

Geometry rendering is pretty close to old good MSAA trick, so at 4k shading/textures are 1080p resolution.

Currently checkered should give better quality, but geometry is easier to implement and is faster.
We should see lot of improvement on both and new combinations and methods in future.

The ID buffer is really big news and can be used for plenty of things.

valkyre

Yes, checkerboard has you shading twice as many sample so it should result in a more accurate image.

Why would one opt for geometry only then? Is it something that we would expect to happen often down the line, when games eventually become more demanding and Pro's juice is not enough anymore for checkerboard? ( i mean for example titles of 2018-2019 where gfx fidelity will be increased)

pottuvoi

Banned
Why would one opt for geometry only then? Is it something that we would expect to happen often down the line, when games eventually become more demanding and Pro's juice is not enough anymore for checkerboard? ( i mean for example titles of 2018-2019 where gfx fidelity will be increased)
Checkerboard is more demanding for hardware and takes more work to be implemented.

Sony

Nintendo
Good read, as someone who has a 1080p plasma (love the response time) and does not intended to upgrade to 4k for at least a year, I am looking forward to getting hands on with 1080 modes with ultra settings. Mass Effect is going to be a treat.

I thought Sony would go with PS4k as the console name, but reading articles like this show Sony were right to avoid that. owners of 1080 screens have plenty to look forward to. 1080 at ultra settings may in many titles be more impressive than 4k mode.

I think the 4k name is avoided to prevent the shitstorm it would cause by it not supporting 4k Blu-Ray playback..

valkyre

Checkerboard is more demanding for hardware and takes more work to be implemented.

I understand that, what I want to know if geometry only rendering is the first -easy- compromise that Pro will have down the line, when fidelity in games will be increased. Thus they will opt a sacrifice in image quality (resolution) in order to meet higher fidelity.

Is my reasoning completely wrong or a possibility?

Also, on another note, can someone explain to a noob like me what the actual deal with 8.4 TFlops for 16 bit actually means for games?

I wouldn't be surprised if 1080p turns out to be the preferred setting for pristine image quality (even for those of us with 4K TVs).

You hit the nail on the head. I would much rather increased fidelity (or framerate?) at 1080p.

We've been promised 1080p gaming since the PS3 launched, and it's still not really come to fruition. Now we are abandoning it and jumping to quasi-4k resolutions? Insanity. It's a ridiculous jump in power vs 1080p, hardly anyone has 4k tvs.

I can't help but thing on Sony's part this loosely related to trying to sell 4k tvs. And on Microsoft's side, they have a score to settle with being the perceived generational weakling.

Lets increase fidelity and realism at 1080p, When I think of amazing game engines, with beautiful lighting, sharders and artistry, the last thing that impresses me is the resolution it's running at, because that's just a minor aspect of picture sharpness.

The only reason I can think for this is maybe 60fps or increased fideltiy at 1080p is more CPU bottlenecked, bumping the res is GPU bottlenecked, and we have a big GPU increase, with just a small CPU increase.

Blizzje

Lots of info about the resolutions for the games that are not native 4k. Looks like 1800p is the norm for now, which imo is a great outcome if you checkerboard it to 4k. Also great to hear Shadow of Mordor can go native 4k but has a dynamic framebuffer. Deus Ex also great with the 1800 ~ 2160p dynamic buffer with checkerboarding.

Really hope FFXV has a 1800p checkerboard to 4k with HDR.

Adam M

Imagine some artist who can paint a nicely detailed painting in X amount of time. This is FP32 4.2TF mode.

Then imagine the same artist forced to paint the same painting but with less care, cutting some corners here and there. You may or may not notice depending on which part you're looking at. It looks similar to the original but he took half the amount of time. This is 8.4TF FP16 mode.

Then I guess we will see many native 4K AAA games even in this generation, maybe Naughty Dog will be capable to make The Last of Us 2 at native 4K

pottuvoi

Banned
I understand that, what I want to know if geometry only rendering is the first -easy- compromise that Pro will have down the line, when fidelity in games will be increased. Thus they will opt a sacrifice in image quality (resolution) in order to meet higher fidelity.

It gives perfect edges to polygons and it's easy to add FXAA or similar on top of it to get very sharp edges.
In future games will use things like TAA with jittered shading location within pixel to get better resolution to textures as well. (Even on geometry rendering.)

These AA methods will continue to evolve and we will be seeing more use for ID buffer as well.
Then I guess we will see many native 4K AAA games even in this generation, maybe Naughty Dog will be capable to make The Last of Us 2 at native 4K
I really doubt they will want to do that.

With reconstruction methods they will get overall a better quality to graphics.
Perhaps slightly softer, but a lot more happening than simply pushing raw pixel count.

Was looking forward to this so much! Really appreciate the great detail Cerny is going into here; the man is a genius.

It's exciting to see that the Pro includes future technologies that aren't currently available in AMD's PC cards.

Yup, it's good to see again. He did a great job with this on the OG PS4 too, with the customization they had done for it as well back then.

valkyre

It gives perfect edges to polygons and it's easy to add FXAA or similar on top of it to get very sharp edges.
In future games will use things like TAA with jittered shading location within pixel to get better resolution to textures as well. (Even on geometry rendering.)

These AA methods will continue to evolve and we will be seeing more use for ID buffer as well.

I really doubt they will want to do that.

With reconstruction methods they will get overall a better quality to graphics.
Perhaps slightly softer, but a lot more happening than simply pushing raw pixel count.

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to explain ;)

NHale

So your saying Pro games framerates will be held back to prevent an advantage over PS4 users?

BF1 will have the same framerate drops as the PS4 to prevent this? That sounds completely ridiculous to me..

No because BF1 will have a PS4Pro patch which will make the entire hardware available to that mode. You just can't have a 30fps target vs 60fps target scenario.

The main problem going ahead is games pushing the target to 60fps knowing that PS4Basic can't reach that target, just so they can sell that their game is 60fps because PS4Pro can reach it.

This will lead to a lot of messy situations especially when Microsoft reveals their guidelines for Scorpio.

Imagine some artist who can paint a nicely detailed painting in X amount of time. This is FP32 4.2TF mode.

Then imagine the same artist forced to paint the same painting but with less care, cutting some corners here and there. You may or may not notice depending on which part you're looking at. It looks similar to the original but he took half the amount of time. This is 8.4TF FP16 mode.
Hey!!!! Hooray for laymen terms!!!

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
The problem is that certain titles that have the game logic tied to the framerate will be "sped up" rather than receive the benefit of additional framerate/resolution.

This is nothing but Sony's own short-sightedness. If they knew they were going for shorter generations with hardware refreshes (and they did, they started on PS4P right after PS4 launched), they should have mandated that developers do not tie game logic to framerate, and to develop with arbitrary framerate/resolutions in mind a la PC development. Microsoft's first-party mid-gen XB1 titles are built with this in mind, using dynamic resolution scaling and allowing some titles to even benefit from the slight performance improvement of the XB1S.

Instead we have a back catalog of titles that will likely never take advantage of the ample additional power of the PS4P or beyond. It's just sloppy, especially when they claim they want to stave off PC purchases, yet have failed at addressing one of the massive appeals of PC gaming.

Wow. What a dumb fuck up.

NXGamer

Also, on another note, can someone explain to a noob like me what the actual deal with 8.4 TFlops for 16 bit actually means for games?

In regards to your first question, yes geometry solution uses simpler hardware solution (MSAA) to generate a native 4k buffer but the same shader passes. Much lower overhead and simple to implement into all/99% of engines. Smaller teams, timescales and possibly extravagant titles will use but Dev own options like we have from mass effect, Deus ex and Shadow or mordor for example will still happen. The thing to remember is nothing here is really "free" just low cost than other options so it will still be down to Dev to choice what suits them, engine, scope.

For the second it is half precision calculation, this is really no good for geometry and will be used for shader passes and effects. The TFLOPs level is really best to ignore, as this is just the sum of the parts. In essence they can shade/compute twice as much information at half the detail level. I.e. 2 hands painting a wall but with thinner brushes.

thelastword

Banned
Geometry rendering is perfect for the devs who are too engaged to improve their current wares.......like the Witcher 3 devs. One dev a couple of days using GR and you get a massive boost in iQ and lots of overhead for a significant performance/framerate boost.

So yes, one of the most important things about this article is how easy it is to do a conversion. Even spending 2-4 weeks or less to massively improve your game through checkerboarding, tweaking TAA for the best IQ etc... is the best marketing for most studios for their older games. Also reading from another article, it's no wonder Cerny asserted that lots and lots of games are going to get Pro patched. They made it extremely easy....

Having said that, it's the first time I've seen developers being privy to so many ways/techniques in developing their games. GR, CBR, pixel jittered framebuffers, dynamic framebuffers (well how it's suppose to be with native being engaged about 90% of time). Then you have devs scaling from 1080p like the Paragon guys. Apparently ND is looking at it's options and I'm really looking forward to how they piece things together for their final image. I'd really want to read up on that.

In the end, whatever method you use, the ID buffer is there to ensure your game has great IQ. It's certainly the best dev feature I've read about for a very long time, really innovative and important to alleviate aliasing issues for good. So maybe now Insomniac games can finally put some AA on their so called CG looking titles. It has always been lost on me, how these guys have not been focusing on better AA for their titles, it should have been a requirement for the type of titles they were developing.

So yes, it's strange but certainly welcomed, that with this mid-gen refresh is where a developer can be so unique in how he renders his image, what he uses, what he does not. Some developers are not using checkerboarding. I'm sure developers will use other base resolutions apart from 1920*2160p and checkerboard to 4k as well......So the best case scenario is the developer who uses checkerboarding to save perf and to maintain a high resolution, properly tweaks their TAA, get a well oiled combination of 16bit and 32 bit floats in their pipeline to improve performance, as well as using the primitive discard accelerator for further efficiencies and perf improvements on top of that. Then we're talking about the improved CU count for better GPGPU and better AC instructions, making it more streamlined. I think the combination of techniques or whatever else devs/sony come up with will be really interesting going forward. Hell, it may be possible to use checkerboard rendering and geometry rendering in tandem, so it really feels like a new generation in that regard, only it's not difficult to program for.

Really looking forward to the individual breakdowns going forward, my Pro is already pre-ordered anyway, but interesting that the article did not touch on HDR which is another dynamic that adds so much to the picture as it relates to resolved detail and better color depth.

Ravage

This is the article I've been waiting for. I'll stick with my 1080p TV until i can get a good deal for a 4K HDR set.

I was initially very upset about the lack of UHD player, but hell I know I'm going to buy this thing on launch. Already told my fiance that I need to get a 4k TV.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
This is nothing but Sony's own short-sightedness. If they knew they were going for shorter generations with hardware refreshes (and they did, they started on PS4P right after PS4 launched), they should have mandated that developers do not tie game logic to framerate, and to develop with arbitrary framerate/resolutions in mind a la PC development. Microsoft's first-party mid-gen XB1 titles are built with this in mind, using dynamic resolution scaling and allowing some titles to even benefit from the slight performance improvement of the XB1S.

Instead we have a back catalog of titles that will likely never take advantage of the ample additional power of the PS4P or beyond. It's just sloppy, especially when they claim they want to stave off PC purchases, yet have failed at addressing one of the massive appeals of PC gaming.

As a developer let me just say no.

NO.

A lot of engines tie logic to framerates. What you're asking for is a total dismantling and re-haul of several engines just for the purpose of...being able to take advantage of a console that only existed on paper when the PS4 launched? A game that will have been several years old by the time it releases?

Dynamic scaling is an entirely different thing altogether. Funny that you should applaud MS for doing dynamic scaling and prepping for the Scorpio considering Sony has also done the exact same thing with its own mid-gen titles with Pro patches.

But yeah, to mandate that game logic should not be tied to framerate is as crazy as mandating god-rays on all games, or not allowing chromatic aberration on all titles, etc. It would be absolutely insane to mandate. No no no no no.

Unknown?

NO.

A lot of engines tie logic to framerates. What you're asking for is a total dismantling and re-haul of several engines just for the purpose of...being able to take advantage of a console that only existed on paper when the PS4 launched? A game that will have been several years old by the time it releases?

Dynamic scaling is an entirely different thing altogether. Funny that you should applaud MS for doing dynamic scaling and prepping for the Scorpio considering Sony has also done the exact same thing with its own mid-gen titles with Pro patches.

But yeah, to mandate that game logic should not be tied to framerate is as crazy as mandating god-rays on all games, or not allowing chromatic aberration on all titles, etc. It would be absolutely insane to mandate. No no no no no.

Ah common sense! Thanks! I think people complaining about that just want something to complain about. The complaint train is dead and the hype train is moving, sorry!

firelogic

PS4K sounded better to me at first but then I realized that the general public would automatically dismiss it if they didn't have a 4K TV. PS4 Pro is the best name they could give it because it's still a PS4, but just a little better. If you're in the market for a PS4 and have the disposable income to spend an extra $100 to get a Pro, you should, regardless of owning a 4K TV at the time.

dogen

The use of FP16 instead FP32 are less accurate and generates a degradation in image quality.... not every process can use FP16 too (some parts full precision is needed).

But, another way to look at it is that not everything really needs FP32. Plus, from what I understand, you can use IN16 instead of INT32 in most cases without a loss in quality.

DBT85

Do only SSDs support SATA III or do regular HDDs support it too?

Regular supports it too. It's a normal HDD in the unit. Not that it will probably make any difference to normal HDD loading times. I'm still intrigued as to how SSDs perform on the SATAIII compared to the Base PS4.

Curufinwe

The problem is that certain titles that have the game logic tied to the framerate will be "sped up" rather than receive the benefit of additional framerate/resolution.

This is nothing but Sony's own short-sightedness. If they knew they were going for shorter generations with hardware refreshes

The generations aren't shorter.

When are you supposed to run "base PS4 mode" ? Is it only forced for online multiplayer to even the ground, or is it an option you could activate on your own (for whatever reason) ?

wait, there is a base Ps4 mode? I thought it was just gonna automatically upgrade/upscale everything that it can

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
wait, there is a base Ps4 mode? I thought it was just gonna automatically upgrade/upscale everything that it can

Games need to be patched to utilize the Pro upgrades. All older games which are not patched will run with the base clock to make it 1 : 1 with the OG PS4.

All games released after Pro will have mandatory Pro support in it though, so this "forced base" mode only applies to older games. The Pro support can be just as simple as maintaining 1080p resolution, but it's still going to be present in all games going forward.

Shin-Ra

I didn't know this, the third USB port on the Pro is USB 3.1 Gen.1 port on the rear of the unit. That will allow very Hi speed.
USB 3.1 Gen 1 is the same as USB 3.0 with signalling up to 5Gbps.

FP16 doesn't degrade anything that doesn't require higher precision.

Fisty

NO.

Would you mind coming in to every PS4Pro thread for the next 6 weeks and put this as the first post

n0razi

If this thing can make my PSVR games look 1% better I want one..

Don't forget...

- SATA3 vs SATA2 (should see a big increase in performance using SSDs)
- 802.11ac vs 802.11n (should see a huge increase in wireless performance)
- Better Remote Play performance

I don't even have a 4K/HDR TV but those reasons are enough for me to upgrade.

Gitaroo

they should add an option for compatibility in the system setting, and have it on by default and allow the user to toggle the clock speed. They need to add as much value and incentive for people to consider getting the system or even upgrade. I would love to play games like Until Dawn running at rock solid frame rate.

Kaako

Felium Defensor

NO.

This makes sense.

Top Bottom