• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Internal Affairs investigation clears Philly police officer with Nazi tattoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

The fixation over "he has a nazi tattoo" versus "he is a nazi" seems like a distraction. No one wants him fired because of a tattoo, they want him fired because there's no scenario where you'd get a nazi tattoo if you're not a nazi. The reply by the police union rep is a non-sequitur because it wasn't about the tattoo to begin with. If he can't be fired for being a nazi, that's another thing (and maybe something that should be changed!)
I'm afraid we do not live in a world where such distinctions matter to all people.

Mulberry

Internal Affairs seems like the cushiest job in the world. Just sit around all day doing nothing, then when an officer fucks up, you announce you'll look into it, spend 6 weeks sleeping at your desk, then wake up and announce they're cleared of all charges.
I'm going to input some personal experience here. My father-in-law spent several years in the Office of Professional Conduct (Internal Affairs). Other officers did not like to be around him. It was obvious. It's a position that doesn't win you friends and many take it very seriously.

On topic, had the officer ever spent time undercover? I've met at least one DEA agent that had things like this that he acquired undercover. Either way that shit should be covered up.

lichtermancosplay.jpg

Well I think this clears everything up
He is On the left.
Or rather the far right
You know what i mean.

Can't link because fucking google amp. 5 month old article on his interesting hobbies.

giphy.gif

I came in here wondering how someone found out about his tattoo, but of course there is a photo of him just rolling around on duty in a short-sleeved shirt.

Tovarisc

Makes me think Kurt from 3rd and 4th season of Banshee. Neo-Nazi who turned his back on that thing, became cop as wants to do right thing with his life, but is inked all to hell with Nazi stuff causing people look at him with disgust and assumptions.

Not saying such narrative applies to this cop in this case, but something to keep in mind.

Quixzlizx

Im saying alot of cops are racist, and theres a high chance he is too. But if a tattoo is all were going by to fire him then no I dont think he should be fired.

Unfortunetly if hes caught targeting minorities the police union will probably protect him for that too.

If I came into work with a Nazi tattoo, I'd be fired. And I'm not even "serving and protecting" the public.

Aselith

Makes me think Kurt from 3rd and 4th season of Banshee. Neo-Nazi who turned his back on that thing, became cop as wants to do right thing with his life, but is inked all to hell with Nazi stuff causing people look at him with disgust and assumptions.

Not saying such narrative applies to this cop in this case, but something to keep in mind.

You can get them lasered

HeySeuss

Nice timing with this coming out just in time for black history month given the fact the picture was taken during a predominantly black protest that he was working special duty (overtime) for.

I get that there isn't anything technically he did wrong since there isn't a specific policy outlining tattoos at the department. But holy hell the tone deafness that the Union President shows in his statement is staggering. "There was nothing to investigate". Dude got off on a technicality, don't shrug it off and minimize it because it gives the appearance that you're ignoring the content and meaning of the tattoo on a broader scale. How many times has that officer had a use of force against a minority as opposed to a white person? What's the ratio of arrests of minority/white for him in comparison to the rest of the department? These are the real questions of what that tattoo on his arm represent. The trust the community has in police is shit and this is why. Oblivious to the bigger picture.

And I say this as a cop and a Union rep. Disgusting.

Apathy

I'm going to input some personal experience here. My father-in-law spent several years in the Office of Professional Conduct (Internal Affairs). Other officers did not like to be around him. It was obvious. It's a position that doesn't win you friends and many take it very seriously.

On topic, had the officer ever spent time undercover? I've met at least one DEA agent that had things like this that he acquired undercover. Either way that shit should be covered up.

Has your father in law ever told you how often internal affairs actually disciplined officers for their conducts, because normally what we see is that they never actually punish anyone and that's our biggest gripe with how the system works against us and for protecting their own.

lichtermancosplay.jpg

Well I think this clears everything up
He is On the left.
Or rather the far right
You know what i mean.

Can't link because fucking google amp. 5 month old article on his interesting hobbies.

If there's no swastika and an eagle is a long standing symbol of Germany separate and apart from the Third Reich, which it appears to be, and he denies being a Nazi and there's no other indication he's a Nazi, I don't think you have just cause to fire him for being a Nazi instead of a dude of German background who's really into his heritage.

It's heritage, not hate.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Im saying alot of cops are racist, and theres a high chance he is too. But if a tattoo is all were going by to fire him then no I dont think he should be fired.

Unfortunetly if hes caught targeting minorities the police union will probably protect him for that too.

LOL, why would you get a NAZI TATTOO if you're not a NAZI?

SMH.

McNesby is, and always has been, a scumbag. He's openly stated he's not interested in finding justice, but protecting the members of his union. Unfortunately while Commissioner Ross seems to be a good egg, like Ramsey before him his hands are tied due to the power of the police union. Unfortunately I can't see the power of the union being overcome, especially in a union dominated town like Philadelphia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom