• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Philadelphia PD launching investigation on cop with nazi tattoos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Potographs depicting a Philadelphia police officer on duty with a Nazi tattoo began circulating on social media late Wednesday night.

The ensuing outrage prompted Philadelphia police to release a statement saying the matter had been reported to internal affairs. The department said it does not condone anything interpreted as "offensive, hateful or discriminatory in any form." Yet, it acknowledged it does not have a policy regarding tattoos.

A photo appears to show the Nazi Party's partieadler emblem tattooed on the left forearm of an officer identified as Ian Hans Lichterman, 39. The party emblem features an eagle, with outstretched wings, holding a wreath containing a swastika. The photo shows the eagle topped by the word "Fatherland," but it is not clear if the tattoo includes the enwreathed swastika at the bottom, which cannot be seen in the photo.

Lichterman's right arm features an assault rifle laid over the United States flag.

The photos were posted to Facebook by Evan Parish Matthews, who claimed he took them at a Black Lives Matter march held during the Democratic National Convention. Matthews said Lichterman was one of about 100 officers who blocked an entrance to a major intersection during the march.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/photos-surface-philly-police-officer-nazi-tattoo/

https://www.facebook.com/phillypoli...16703910909/10154139137545910/?type=3&theater

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ0d__nhLz2/

CrQ-ZS1VIAAXE3K.jpg

Amazing how comfortable and bold he to put his nonsense on display.
I wonder if his colleagues ever even brought this up to their superiors because there's no way the tattoos could have gone unnoticed.

*Please close if old. Did a couple of searches but didn't find any topic regarding the subject.

Well it certainly isn't rocket science of what this guy supports nor his ideals. Seriously though, throw this guy outta there and don't let him come back. Man like that doesn't deserve to have any kind of power, especially when it's a badge.

Giganteus

Incredible. Not even any sleeves. How can you have that sort of a job where you have to interact with people and be allowed to have that, especially now? Amazing.

Are White supremacists getting bolder or just dumber?

No, they're getting more prouder.

Now a days it's easy to find a group that you can align with your beliefs. Whereas before it'd be hard to vet people you know, now it's as easy as a click away to get a group that enables your beliefs.

I imagine this cop is the same way. Found a group of neo nazis or white supremacists, is able to justify it to himself to get a tattoo.

Samara

My guess is he got them after he got employed. Doubt he could get fired because of it. Although he will make some group very proud.

vypek

I'm really shocked I didn't hear about this on the morning news. Hoping something frutiful actually comes from the investigation and it isn't just a "whatever" reaction

There's no way he has the swastika on that eagle. Right? RIGHT?

There's a pic of him dressed up as a nazi soldier during a reenactment. Pretty sure it's a swastika on his arm.

Also, don't they look at tattoos when they hired him? I refuse to beleive no one in his precinct knew.

smurfx

get some go again
knowing how strong police unions are can this guy even get fired for having this tattoo? will he most likely end up getting desk duty?

Slayven

Actually law enforcement is a hot bed of hate groups. Every few years you hear about how the KKK has pretty much taken over a department

FStop7

Banned
My guess is he got them after he got employed. Doubt he could get fired because of it. Although he will make some group very proud.

How could anyone Jewish (and any other number of ethnic groups) possibly expect fair treatment from a cop with a Nazi tattoo? It's literally impossible. He has no place on the police force.

Laekon

While I'm totally against it, if the department doesn't have regulations, firing him would be a freedom of speech issue. It is probably cause to review all complaints against him though.

TalonJH

Yeah, I made the mistake of reading the Facebook comments of the Police Department's post. I guess at least most people see why it's a problem. The others are a mix of "free speech" and "he's just a proud German".

Has there been any update?

smurfx

get some go again
Yeah, I made the mistake of reading the Facebook comments of the Police Department's post. I guess at least most people see why it's a problem. The others are a mix of "free speech" and "he's just a proud German".

Has there been any update?
lol bet you they would feel different if a black cop had a BLM tattoo. not that they are in anyway comparable.

another member of the klan exposed.

Actually law enforcement is a hot bed of hate groups. Every few years you hear about how the KKK has pretty much taken over a department

We had a poster(a cop himself, I believe) just today say he got invited to a private facebook group for cops, and wanted to figure out a course of action concerning their highly racist asses, and it was large community.

There's nothing shocking about this.

Why don't black people trust the cops?!

They are your friends! They love you! Don't do anything wrong and they'll treat you with respect!

Kerned

Banned
I bet this dude scheduled a session with his tattoo artist ASAP.
I assure you he hasn't, because he knows full well that there will be no consequences for this. Cops are allowed to murder unarmed people in cold blood without consequences, you think he's worried about his tattoo?

Honestly I have no idea how someone with Nazi tattoos can get hired as a police officer, maybe Philly is more laxed but here NY you be disqualified instantly once they saw the tattoo. I know for NY state you have to take pictures of every tattoo you have and mail them in so they can make sure there are no gang related tattoos on you.

The Llama

Apparently the Philly PD don't have any rules or regulations on tattoos/body art, but they're going to put something in place now. No idea whether it will result in any action against this guy, though.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Being a WWII reenactor I can say there are quite a few police that are in the hobby. This is truly shameful.

Fuchsdh

Good god man, proofread your complaints before you send them to an official organization:

The mere decision to get this tattoo, and choose his profession, casts disperses any faith in Officer Lichtermann's [sic] ability to do his job in a non-oppressive/racist manner. It's intimidating display, and its present notoriety on social media have permanently marred Officer Ian Hans Lichtermann's reputation and, for anyone knowledgeable of his history, made him a deadly embodiment of police-terror.

Kind of bizarre that a major metro police department doesn't have any regs about this.

Being a WWII reenactor I can say there are quite a few police that are in the hobby. This is truly shameful.

The tattoo is shameful, or being a WWII German reenactor? Because if the latter, how the hell can you have reenactments?

HeySeuss

If they have no policy governing tattoos, then they will make one and probably force him to cover it. Sadly he might not be technically breaking any rules so there's nothing to punish him for, which would result in a wrongful termination suit if they tried to shitcan him.

Can't really tell by the photo, but it looks like the eagle without the round globe/swastika which makes sense because he can the claim he just thought it was a cool design to his German heritage.

lol @ launching an "investigation" instead of just straight up canning his ass

Once you get anywhere there are unions, "straight up canning" is for all intents and purposes impossible. For better or for worse, unions prevent employees from being shitcanned, even when they should be. They set up a process (in this case investigation) by which a person is fired.

They just can't do the investigation quickly enough is all. Because free speech all you want, this dude does not belong in a police force. Hell, he shouldn't even be a fucking mall cop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom