• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt by Gamespot

Cabal

I'm ready for this one, I wish GOG would just release it now for PC. It's sitting on my virtual shelf taunting me.

I really they fix the shitty menu and inventory system. I also hope this is focused and not some DA:I thing where there are hundreds of hours of fetch quests.

LordofPwn

witch21osy.jpg

the image compression is terrible. whatever phone this person used: pre-order canceled...

Very excited for the Witcher III though. like it's less than a month away. holy shit.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
still on the fence about this game, but from what little I've seen it does look good. For those of you who are wondering what the PS4 version looks like you can get a glimpse here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNqmGT9mkOg

Huh? That's just the PC gameplay trailer uploaded to the Playstation YouTube channel. Not a PS4 rendered version of the trailer.

Though as I said, I expect the PS4 version will look VERY similar to the PC version aside from IQ/Resolution and HairWorks.

Justinh

Playing through W2 to get ready for this. Got it on GoG after I bought a 970.
It's taken me... a while to, i guess, understand how to play it? I still haven't given the first game a fair chance even though I've had it forever.

UnrealEck

still on the fence about this game, but from what little I've seen it does look good. For those of you who are wondering what the PS4 version looks like you can get a glimpse here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNqmGT9mkOg

That looks like the same trailer they showed a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure that's PS4.
The 'PS4' at the end of the video title just tells you what PlayStation system it's going to be released on.

Kinthalis

Banned
Though as I said, I expect the PS4 version will look VERY similar to the PC version aside from IQ/Resolution and HairWorks.

And view distance, and LOD, and frame rate, and according to at least one hands on report, textures and foliage.

So basically NOT very similar.

My vote is for: "somewhat, kind of similar". I feel that's more accurate ;)

BigTnaples

You expect it to look similar aside from IQ? Lol

Yes. I own both versions, and I fully expect the game to look relatively the same on both platforms.

The resolution will be higher on some PC's (Mine), the AA will be better, and probably the LoD settings/pop in. Aside from that and hairworks, I don't see the two looking that drastically different.

This reminds me of when people here said that The Witcher 2 was beyond what we should expect out of PS4. Look at us now.

Has Nvidia said they are using anything other than hairworks for the witcher? I seem to remember a slide somewhere.

Jo-El

I hope the PS4 version is up to par whenever they get around to showing it. Not even a single trailer or gameplay shot

I wouldn't worry about it too much considering how well the 360 version of the second game turned out. Not to say that they won't fuck up the console versions this time around, but it's clear they're capable of getting a lot out of a console.

"In summary then, it's clear that The Witcher 2 has the performance to match the spectacle. This may well be a PC conversion, but the level of technical accomplishment
we see here is more in line with what we'd expect from a top-tier first-party studio designing a game directly for the strengths of the host console hardware."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-witcher-2-tech-analysis

UnrealEck

Not the best example of gameplay obviously but there are a few shots of the PS4 menus, character armor and weapons screens in there. Maybe its the same trailer with PS4 button prompts?

Yeah that's a bit weird. As far as I can tell it's literally the exact same trailer frame for frame just with different buttons then.

That looks like the same trailer they showed a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure that's PS4.
The 'PS4' at the end of the video title just tells you what PlayStation system it's going to be released on.

Not all of it is PS4, but there are some shots of PS4 gameplay or at least game play with PS4 button prompts. See my post above.

Kinthalis

Banned
Not all of it is PS4, but there are some shots of PS4 gameplay or at least game play with PS4 button prompts. See my post above.

9 times out of ten "gameplay" with PS4 buttons or "gameplay" with Xbone buttons is PC gameplay with [insert console] button prompts.

... well, ok 8 times out of 10.

UnrealEck

The resolution will be higher on some PC's (Mine), the AA will be better, and probably the LoD settings/pop in. Aside from that and hairworks, I don't see the two looking that drastically different.

I really don't know what you expect from the same game. It's like you expect the game to look completely different.
What do you expect from better graphics from one platform to another, realistically?

pakkit

Banned
Are CDProjekt's games stable out of the gate? I'm finishing off Witcher 2 right now on PC, and I'm wondering whether I should buy day one or wait for the inevitable Enhanced Edition.

9 times out of ten "gameplay" with PS4 buttons or "gameplay" with Xbone buttons is PC gameplay with [insert console] button prompts.

... well, ok 8 times out of 10.

Yeah I know. It's easier to use the same video assets with super imposed buttons or splice in smaller sections with prompts for a specific system.

Denton

Are CDProjekt's games stable out of the gate? I'm finishing off Witcher 2 right now on PC, and I'm wondering whether I should buy day one or wait for the inevitable Enhanced Edition.

Witcher 2 came out May 17th.
I finished it May 23rd, without encountering any significant bugs or crashes.

They delayed TW3 twice to ensure it is as flawless as possible out the door.

Kinthalis

Banned

There will definitley be an enhanced edition, with new content and tweaks. That's just how they roll, well how a lot of PC game devs roll.

We like it that way, especially since these editions are usually free or inexpensive add-ons. Witcher 2 and one were pretty damn stable. I mean patches improved performance a bit and fixed a bug here and there, but nothing game breaking that I can recall. The enhanced edition of Witcher 2 changed up some game mechanics and added a new difficulty. The enhanced version of Witcher 1 did similar things, and improved the flow of the story.

I think you're fine buying day one, and I think a dev that cares about it's fans this much deserves the support (certainly more than a lot of other devs do).

UnrealEck

Yeah what I'm saying though is that the trailer is exactly the same as the one they showed before which had Xbox prompts. Literally the exact same frames with button prompts and the icons are the only difference.
I don't know what's going on with it.

BigTnaples

Who the hell said that? Witcher 2 was a DX9 game (wasn't it?). Just all kinds of stupid.

That mentality was rampant here before the official PS4 announcement. People constantly said that expecting anything beyond what the Witcher 2 was doing was unrealistic. I always scoffed at this notion.

I really don't know what you expect from the same game. It's like you expect the game to look completely different.
What do you expect from better graphics from one platform to another, realistically?

Huh?

Not sure where you are going with this.

Some are acting as if this will be like Shadow of Mordor on PS4 vs PS3. It won't.

The game will largely have the same effects, textures, models, etc in play on both PS4 and PC. The PS4 version is also 1080p, so it will match MOST PC gaming rigs resolution. (I will be playing at whatever the highest resolution I can squeeze out of my 970 FTW is on my 4K display). Really, as I said before, I expect IQ to be the biggest difference. With some smaller differences like LoD/Pop in, Hair Works, and anything else that is Nvidia exclusive.

I haven't been a big GameSpot fan since the Greg Kasavin days, but that video was pretty good. I'll definitely be checking out the rest.

It's the Danny O'Dwyer factor for sure. No one can resist that brogue.

And holy hell, my hype for this game is getting out of control, and its still a month away.

SaberEdge

That mentality was rampant here before the official PS4 announcement. People constantly said that expecting anything beyond what the Witcher 2 was doing was unrealistic. I always scoffed at this notion.

Huh?

Some are acting as if this will be like Shadow of Mordor on PS4 vs PS3. It won't.

The game will largely have the same effects, textures, models, etc in play on both PS4 and PC. The PS4 version is also 1080p, so it will match MOST PC gaming rigs resolution. (I will be playing at whatever the highest resolution I can squeeze out of my 970 FTW is on my 4K display). Really, as I said before, I expect IQ to be the biggest difference. With some smaller differences like LoD/Pop in, Hair Works, and anything else that is Nvidia exclusive.

HBAO+, as well, will make a big difference for me.

erawsd

They weren't perfect; you'll find people that had no issues, others that had tons of issues, and everyone inbetween. In either case, they've been great about getting patches out quickly.

Enhanced Editions are not about improving game stability, those are more about improving larger gameplay systems. For instance, people thought Act 3 of Witcher 2 was too short, so they added another 5 hours worth of content to flesh it out. EE's are free updates so theres no reason to wait (usually a year) for them like you would a GOTY edition that other games do.

Iastfan112

Neo Member
Nice video, surprised it didn't touch on CDPR almost going under from the attempt to port the first game to the 360 but well worth a watch.

UnrealEck

Huh?

I guess it's your definition of 'drastically different' that I'm curious about. What would you say would be drastically different in the graphics of the same game on two different platforms and would it be a reasonable expectation from the developer?

I know you've got a GTX 970 and a 4K screen. I saw you talking about them probably just after you bought them. You seemed really excited about them too.

SaberEdge

Yes. I own both versions, and I fully expect the game to look relatively the same on both platforms.

This reminds me of when people here said that The Witcher 2 was beyond what we should expect out of PS4. Look at us now.

Has Nvidia said they are using anything other than hairworks for the witcher? I seem to remember a slide somewhere.

Well, I don't remember anybody saying that, but they were exaggerating if they did.

That said, I was just playing The Witcher 2 the other day and it still looks impressive. It looks better than several games I've played on my PS4, and can compete with any of the best.

BigTnaples

I guess it's your definition of 'drastically different' that I'm curious about. What would you say would be drastically different in the graphics of the same game on two different platforms and would it be a reasonable expectation from the developer?

I know you've got a GTX 970 and a 4K screen. I saw you talking about them probably just after you bought them. You seemed really excited about them too.

Fair enough. Like I said, drastically different to me would be if the textures and effects were all downgraded, lighting model was worse, geometry was lower, etc.

Basically, this scenario.
http://kotaku.com/shadow-of-mordor-is-way-less-fun-on-old-consoles-1660387779

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN--TmdjwzE

Where as I expect the difference between TW3 on PC vs PS4 to be much less by comparison.

And yes, was/am pretty excited about it. 4K has been absolutely unbelievable, even in replaying older titles like Bioshock/Inifinite and Deus Ex HR.

erawsd

going under because they're doing a port? interesting.

Eurogamer did a really great article on their history here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-06-seeing-red-the-story-of-cd-projekt

CD Projekt Red didn't have the internal capacity to handle White Wolf development as well, so an impressive pitch won French studio Widescreen Games the job. CD Projekt Red wanted control, so Atari paid CD Projekt Red to get the game made.

After five months there were problems, and CD Projekt donated a dozen developers to the French studio to help out. Then more problems, and Iwiński began to suspect Widescreen's heart wasn't in it beyond being paid for reaching milestones. Adam Badowski had to fly down to help the studio crunch to produce an important vertical slice of the game for an Atari conference in Lyon, and it went down a storm, to cheers of "bravo!". But two weeks later there was another problem, and Widescreen wanted to push White Wolf back four to five months.

"I was ashamed at the time. We burned a lot of money - our money - and then the next time I was in touch with Phil he told me that he is very very sorry but they have to send us a Bridge notice and we'll have to repay them the money that they gave us."

Iwiński flew to New York to negotiate and ended up signing over North American rights to The Witcher 2 years before the game had been made. "This would be repaying the debts for White Wolf," Atari had declared.

In May 2009, CD Projekt Red confirmed that work on The Witcher: White Wolf had been suspended. In reality, everything had been thrown in the bin - nothing was reused. "We wasted so much time," laments Iwiński today.

Borderless Windowed mode is the new hotness though.

That 60 FPS with free triple-buffered vsync.

How's this done again? Do i just play the game via borderless windowed and call it a day or do I need to do some extra steps (like enable vsync in game or w/e)?

Top Bottom