• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt by Gamespot

cresto

Not the best example of gameplay obviously but there are a few shots of the PS4 menus, character armor and weapons screens in there. Maybe its the same trailer with PS4 button prompts?

GIletkm.png

Correct me if I am wrong, but the video from Anderzel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS7D5aCL-84) said that they didnt have PC controls yet and that they had to use controllers. I'm guessing its PC footage.

AndyD

aka andydumi
How's this done again? Do i just play the game via borderless windowed and call it a day or do I need to do some extra steps (like enable vsync in game or w/e)?

No other steps needed. You still can use the aa and other settings of course.

Grief.exe

Just finished the video. This game looks good, extremely good even.

Still worried about CDPR citing Skyrim and Dragon Age: Inquistion as influences...

Thanks!

I've been trying to get GTA V properly set-up and this knocks a few problems outta the way.

I believe GTAV supports Borderless out of the box. Let me check.

I have gsync, so I need to run fullscreen with vsync off.

roytheone

This really was a great video. Danny is probably my favorite game journalist currently, his video features are always so well made and interesting.

erawsd

Just finished the video. This game looks good, extremely good even.

Still worried about CDPR citing Skyrim and Dragon Age: Inquistion as influences...

I don't think theyve ever cited either of those as influences. In fact, they kind shit on both of those while citing Gothic and New Vegas as influences.

Aldia

Banned
I don't think theyve ever cited either of those as influences. In fact, they kind shit on both of those while citing Gothic and New Vegas as influences.

In the Gametrailers interview with Damien Monnier (senior game designer) he indirectly stated that Skyrim is a quality RPG, and back in 2013 the director of the game outright said the games open world is somewhat inspired by Skyrim in an interview.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

No. They did reference Skyrim before. Which is a good thing because Skyrim was fantastic.

New Vegas paled in comparison to FO3 in many ways.

boskee

In the Gametrailers interview with Damien Monnier (senior game designer) he indirectly stated that Skyrim is a quality RPG, and back in 2013 the director of the game outright said the games open world is somewhat inspired by Skyrim in an interview.

Which is completely different than gameplay inspiration. They cited Gothic as their main inspiration mechanic and gameplay wise couple of times.

Aldia

Banned
Which is completely different than gameplay inspiration. They cited Gothic as their main inspiration mechanic and gameplay wise couple of times.

The original poster never mentioned anything about gameplay inspiration. He claimed CDProjekt Red shit on Skyrim. In 2013, The director clearly said Skyrim was an influence.

They praised Skyrim for how they handled open world but also criticized it for how the game handled quests and characters. I'm also sure they took notes of the terrible cities.

erawsd

In the Gametrailers interview with Damien Monnier (senior game designer) he indirectly stated that Skyrim is a quality RPG

Is that the one where he says he likes Skyrim but it was really dumb how he became the leader of the Mage guild and people still treated him like a nobody?

The original poster never mentioned anything about gameplay inspiration. He claimed CDProjekt Red shit on Skyrim. In 2013, The director clearly said Skyrim was an influence.

They've done enough interviews that I won't say you are wrong. However, I do recall them being very critical of Skyrim around the time they announced Witcher 3 and referred to it as "generic" and talked about a bunch of things it did wrong. Which caused a big uproar from Skyrim fans at the time... which is why I remember it, since there was a lot of angry posts.

No. They did reference Skyrim before. Which is a good thing because Skyrim was fantastic.

New Vegas paled in comparison to FO3 in many ways.

I never played New Vegas. However, many people seem to hold its quest design in high regard and that is specifically the aspect they referenced.

epmode

I believe GTAV supports Borderless out of the box. Let me check.

It does but it definitely doesn't work correctly for me. Both the in-game vsync and the in-game borderless windowed modes introduce stuttering and/or judder that isn't there when I force vsync through Nvidia drivers.

Aldia

Banned
Is that the one where he says he likes Skyrim but it was really dumb how he became the leader of the Mage guild and people still treated him like a nobody?

No, one of the people who asked him a question's username was SkyrimLegend or something, and Monnier remarked how that person is clearly a fan of quality RPGs. So clearly CDPR isn't shitting on Skyrim.

I have full faith however that they will make sure that the problems Skyrim had won't be present in the Witcher 3.

erawsd

No, one of the people who asked him a question's username was SkyrimLegend or something, and Monnier remarked how that person is clearly a fan of quality RPGs. So clearly CDPR isn't shitting on Skyrim.

I have full faith however that they will make sure that the problems Skyrim had won't be present in the Witcher 3.

Ah, its semantics. We're all maybe being a bit too general with the terms. There are probably aspects of Skyrim that inspired them. There are also aspects of Skyrim that they've taken a shit on.

Grief.exe

They praised Skyrim for how they handled open world but also criticized it for how the game handled quests and characters. I'm also sure they took notes of the terrible cities.

I can levy those same criticisms and praises at Skyrim. I found the open world to be one of the most well-done in an RPG, I think this is what makes Skyrim such a popular title.
At the same time I found just about every other aspect of the game design extremely shallow. This is what worries me about citing Skyrim as a reference for Witcher 3.

I hope you are correct in interpreting their sentiments.

patapuf

I can levy those same criticisms and praises at Skyrim. I found the open world to be one of the most well-done in an RPG, I think this is what makes Skyrim such a popular title.
At the same time I found just about every other aspect of the game design extremely shallow. This is what worries me about citing Skyrim as a reference for Witcher 3.

Going by the previous games, i'm not worried that the game will devolve into skyrim quest/dungeon design.

citing Gothic and New vegas as inspiration quest/structure wise gives me confidence that they at least know how it can be done, even if they make a few compromises for the larger audience.

misho8723

Banned
They like some things in Skyrim, but they are really critical how the main and side quests were in that game and how the world was really shit when it comes to world interactions and reactions of people and so to your actions..

And they regard really highly both the Gothic games and Fallout New Vegas - which in my opinion did everything right compared to Fallout 3

Grief.exe

Going by the previous games, i'm not worried that the game will devolve into skyrim quest/dungeon design.

citing Gothic and New vegas as inspiration quest/structure wise gives me confidence that they at least know how it can be done, even if they make a few compromises for the larger audience.

They like some things in Skyrim, but they are really critical how the main and side quests were in that game and how the world was really shit when it comes to world interactions and reactions of people and so to your actions..

And they regard really highly both the Gothic games and Fallout New Vegas - which in my opinion did everything right compared to Fallout 3

iQz0RpZFjn54T.jpg

Mifec

An ocean with the depth of a puddle is the best description I heard of Skyrim, couldn't agree more with your post.

Not really concerned about with The Witcher 3 so far.

patapuf

Should I watch this if I have yet to beat witcher 2?

Yes.

The first half talks about the history of CD Project as a developper and publisher and the second half explains gameplay differences between the Witcher 2 and 3

It's actually really well done for the type of video it is .

Aldia

Banned
Yes.

The first half talks about the history of CD Project as a developper and publisher and the second half explains gameplay differences between the Witcher 2 and 3

It's actually really well done for the type of video it is .

Save for the fact that it probably had only 30 seconds of new footage, but that's most likely what the next 2 days are for.

Exentryk

That was a well made video. Looking forward to seeing more.

The devs are great. And even though I could have easily bought a cheap key, I am supporting the devs with a full price standard physical edition.

Jac_Solar

So, it definitely seems like the gameworld will be like this:

You start out in a small, self-contained, open level/world -- acts as a tutorial for the game, introduces you to the mechanics, lore, quest style.

Then, eventually, you get introduced to the actual open world (Separated from the "tutorial" zone by a loading screen.) -- a continent with 2 "zones" (As in, separated by a loading screen.). The first zone, the mainland, is (Probably.) the main/largest part of the game, and is apparently bigger than the world of Skyrim. The second zone, the islands, is, presumably, also open world, and probably much smaller.

So, 3 zones, at least - tutorial, mainland, islands. I assume there'll also be sub-zones, like dungeons separated from the zones by loading screens. There might also be other open world, or linear, overworld zones, but they'll probably be a lot smaller than the 3 "main" zones

In other words, it's like Morrowind, Oblivion or Skyrim with the expansion packs, just structured differently (Starting zone is a small, open world tutorial "area".).

Xando

You start out in a small, self-contained, open level/world -- acts as a tutorial for the game, introduces you to the mechanics, lore, quest style.

Then, eventually, you get introduced to the actual open world -- a continent with 2 "zones" (As in, separated by a loading screen.). The first zone, the mainland, is (Probably.) the main/largest part of the game, and is apparently bigger than the world of Skyrim. The second zone, the islands, is, presumably, also open world, and probably much smaller.

So, 3 zones, at least. I assume there'll also be sub-zones, like dungeons separated from the zones by loading screens. There might also be other open world, or linear, overworld zones, but they'll probably be a lot smaller than the 3 "main" zones (Tutorial, mainland, islands.).

In other words, it's like Morrowind, Oblivion or Skyrim with the expansion packs, just structured differently (Starting zone is a small, open world tutorial "area".).
They guy from Gamestar said there are 4-6 (depending on story decisions) additional areas as big as the tutorial area (~5 hours of gameplay) + the two big areas.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Great video. Very informative. I am encouraged to buy this by the developer's assurance that you need to know nothing about the previous games to enjoy it. I am concerned about the combat difficulty, but very intrigued by the open world exploration and adventure.

Open world should bring more people in.

I'll always remember darksidephils Witcher 2 playthrough. He was new to it and was getting killed at every turn. So funny.

martino

GOTY is Bloodborne. This might be a close second though

With rpg mechanic choice made in bloodborne he can't even be goty in his own category.
Xenoblade x and witcher are already easily in front on paper and i doubt they don't deliver.

borborygmus

I really they fix the shitty menu and inventory system. I also hope this is focused and not some DA:I thing where there are hundreds of hours of fetch quests.

I'll put up with the menus/inventory system if they just change the way itemization works. Weapons permanently scale down to your level upon picking them up. Makes no sense.

But other than that, everything else about this game sounds amazing.

erawsd

Then, eventually, you get introduced to the actual open world (Separated from the "tutorial" zone by a loading screen.) -- a continent with 2 "zones" (As in, separated by a loading screen.). The first zone, the mainland, is (Probably.) the main/largest part of the game, and is apparently bigger than the world of Skyrim. The second zone, the islands, is, presumably, also open world, and probably much smaller.

So, 3 zones, at least - tutorial, mainland, islands. I assume there'll also be sub-zones, like dungeons separated from the zones by loading screens. There might also be other open world, or linear, overworld zones, but they'll probably be a lot smaller than the 3 "main" zones

The two main areas are roughly the same size, the mainland is slightly bigger. I dont think Dungeons/caverns will require a load. They've said the only load times you will encounter within Skellige or Novigrad/NML is when you fast travel or the story is sending you someplace far away (Kaer Morhen). None of the interior areas, underwater, or even the huge sewer system underneath the capital city are separated by loading screens.

Probably within the next 3 hours or so. Part 1 was published around 5pm BST yesterday.

On Danny's twitter: "Todays Witcher video will be live in three hours (9AM PDT) and is bursting with new info & gameplay. Should make a lot of Geralt fans happy!"

Pop

This is going to be wonderful.

But my fear of deep water has me a little scared. I remember the map showing that big sea creature. Yeah, fuck that.

Top Bottom