• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2015 | Apple bans the revolution

awp69

Another surprise release/out of the blue PC port:

Adventures of Pip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXenOE29NQI

Looks cool. Have you played the PC version? Supposedly 66% off for the first week at $4.99. Not saying it's not worth it and certainly want to support premium games.

But I'm weary of how successful this will sell at $15 being relatively unknown. I have heard the title but honestly don't know much else so I doubt the rest of the iOS masses would know it well.

Again, just being sadly realistic for iOS when others see something like Tales from Deep Space that has that "modern" look and is selling for $6.99.

Reviews on PC and the Wii U version, which I didn't know existed are pretty mixed too. Sounds like a game that's decent but not a must have.

I might pick it up at the early adopter price.

awp69

Been playing more of Heroki and it is absolutely fantastic. Big levels with lots of exploration and hidden passages. The controls work great with a sort of drag to fly motion that feels natural and fluid. The game world is just vibrant and even the "home" area has things to do and subquests. Lots of innovative surprises along the way.

This feels like something Nintendo could have done (and not the one that sounds like they'll be aiming more for a free to "start" model on mobile). It has that level of polish and charm.

killercow

Adventures of Pip looks amazing. I thought we could finally have a slow week but I was proven wrong once again...

Shifter! is also looking great:
3XJ35hN.gif

399psWi.png

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shifter!/id1002651301?mt=8

Ronin by Devolver is coming to mobile:
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Ronin+(PS+Vita)/news.asp?c=66325

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
First use of ModBot, so hopefully it works right!

I got a bunch of Monument Valley keys from Starbucks recently. Also found a Twisty Holly and Drift'n'Drive that haven't expired yet. Enjoy guys!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 16 iOS keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (nicoga3000, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Monument Valley 1 -- MB-FEF03054A548836F - Taken by MustacheBandit_
Monument Valley 3 -- MB-B68E0ADF633D9292 - Taken by itschris
Monument Valley 2 -- MB-98E5CF8C5E1B2F58 - Taken by Gotchaye
Monument Valley 5 -- MB-117DF29605CBF91B - Taken by Foolia
Monument Valley 4 -- MB-8BC396732DF50BDE - Taken by Melhisedek
Monument Valley 7 -- MB-D5F536CE39EAF601 - Taken by Benedict
Monument Valley 6 -- MB-E0089729800F94A3 - Taken by M*A*S*H
Monument Valley 9 -- MB-5EF7BE5AA601958C - Taken by GreenCyder
Monument Valley 8 -- MB-86F520C248DDD336 - Taken by Mikaju
Twisty Hollow -- MB-2771D5FD009121B8 - Taken by colinp
Monument Valley 11 -- MB-D57C4C67BFA1489F

Monument Valley 10 -- MB-ECFC3E984FBC0535 - Taken by Tsukari
Monument Valley 13 -- MB-601518434C9C18BC - Taken by Tak3n
Monument Valley 12 -- MB-0E7156295291BBC3 - Taken by panthapanda
Monument Valley 14 -- MB-787F09F9B63971E3 - Taken by stephencottontail
Drift'n'Drive -- MB-157E6A36E5A3C569 - Taken by 8sanders

awp69

Ah, decided to grab Pip because I don't have enough of a backlog (NOT). Pretty fun but the controls could use some work. The jump and transform buttons in particular are too close together even on an iPad Mini 2. Game also freezes on the loading screen due to an issue with Game Center. You have to log out of GC if you want to play it in its current state.

I like it, but definately would recommend Heroki over it if you were to pick one. Just more enjoyable, original and polished all around in comparison. Hopefully there will be fixes for Pip.

Cross posting my impressions of Heroki from OT thread

I put in about an hour and a half into this (got to 1-7).

As many games do, this suffers from the platform on which it appears on due to the touch controls. A couple of things here: The touch pad, which works best for this game, is finicky and offers no precise movement. An intended left/right motion will likely register as a diagonal movement most of the time. As a result, puzzles such as the one involving you to bounce on numbered block in a fast sequence are rendered frustrating and useless.

The second part to this is that because you have to press on objects to register an action, such as picking up a box or throwing it, the camera needs to be zoomed in for precision. A camera panned too far back will make it hard to specify which box to pick up. This leads to another problem...

The camera narrows our view of a metroidvania-esque designed map. This makes the moment feel far more claustrophobic than necessary while exploring and trying to navigate thought the level. Again, I draw a straight line on the choices here to the platform of choice.

On a level design front, you navigate the character through looking for one of three collectibles and switches that open pathways to new areas. There are some odd design choices here. I think my first encounter of this was in 1-3. There were two locked doors. I manage to open one only to find that the only thing waiting for me behind it was the switch to open the second door just a few blocks away. Weird.

The Hub has great character and has some sidequests to help the citizens out. Here is where you'll find the bulk of the charm. The levels, imho, are somewhat flat and uninspiring. There are attempts to create variety but I feel like I'm still going through the motions of a game of this type.

A commendable technical effort by the team but, personally, I wold have rather played this using standard controls, zoomed the camera out a bit helping me focus on what is on screen than worry about what isn't. I think the last bit was the biggest factor for me.

awp69

Cross posting my impressions of Heroki from OT thread

Not sure if you tried it but there is a more standard control option in settings.

I guess for me, I had the complete opposite reaction to the controls. They feel natural and work great (for me) so much so that I couldn't see the game being as fun on another platform.

Also, in regards to the camera, did you know that if you click directly on Heroki it zooms out? It's not a complete solution, but it is something that can help. I also find most of the design choices to be good. There may be a few things like the door switch you mentioned but all in all, I find the exploration fun and many surprises that give it a unique flavor. The levels feel fresh and innovative rather than flat and uninspiring.

I know, specifically, people have different opinions on touch controls and how they fit games so I respect your opinion.

Guess I just feel otherwise and even think the game may end up on my top 10 iOS games of the year.

Bumhead

Banned
Been out of the iOS gaming loop for a good while (I've always owned an iPhone, but go long stretches without checking out the gaming scene for it).

However I've just upgraded to a 6+ and I'm kind of wanting to check something out that I might have missed that makes use of this gorgeous screen. Right now I have Crossy Road, Hearthstone, Super Hexagon and Lifeline installed. Has anything come out over the last 6-12 months that's simply a must play?

Unrelated secondary question, but how is Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on iOS? Does it play and control alright?

Been out of the iOS gaming loop for a good while (I've always owned an iPhone, but go long stretches without checking out the gaming scene for it).

However I've just upgraded to a 6+ and I'm kind of wanting to check something out that I might have missed that makes use of this gorgeous screen. Right now I have Crossy Road, Hearthstone, Super Hexagon and Lifeline installed. Has anything come out over the last 6-12 months that's simply a must play?

Unrelated secondary question, but how is Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on iOS? Does it play and control alright?
Sorcery 3, Implosion, Her Story, Dark Echo, Nubs' Adventure, Trigonarium, Touchtone, Radiation Island, Particle Mace, Shadowmatic, Framed, Retry, Inferno 2, and other stuff I can't recall off the top of my head

awp69

Sorcery 3, Implosion, Her Story, Dark Echo, Nubs' Adventure, Trigonarium, Touchtone, Radiation Island, Particle Mace, Shadowmatic, Framed, Retry, Inferno 2, and other stuff I can't recall off the top of my head

Heroki, The Executive, Door Kickers, Legend of Grimlock, Geometry Wars 3, Halo: Spartan Strike..and, wow, it's hard to believe it's only been six months since Hero Emblems came out.

Oh, and it's not for everyone, but Ire: Blood Memory if you like extremely challenging Dark Souls type games in shorter mobile bursts.

Heroki, The Executive, Door Kickers, Legend of Grimlock..and, wow, it's hard to believe it's only been six months since Hero Emblems came out.
How the hell did I forget Door Kickers :p

---

Got some more details on Static Sky, it sounds so good. Real time tactical with a slow motion mode that gives it a pseudo-turn-based feel, different classes, hacking, stealth, etc, Devs are aiming for a late 2015/Winter release

awp69

How the hell did I forgot Door Kickers :p

Only reason I want to forget about it is that I am horrible at it. Love these type of games, and especially love the implementation of this one, but I will readily admit that I just ....suck. At least I find Door Kickers to be a more fun way to lose my squad :(.

Only reason I want to forget about it is that I am horrible at it. Love these type of games, and especially love the implementation of this one, but I will readily admit that I just ....suck. At least I find Door Kickers to be a more fun way to lose my squad :(.
What aspect do you find challenging? The nice thing about DK is that playing it logically is lot easier than XCOM or Frozen Synapse. Check your corners, protect your flanks, etc
This is a really good tactical guide from Steam
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=200580844

Wingus

Interested in buying Cytus; looking for a rhythm game for my phone and this one looks like it has a lot of content.

I want to get The Executive as well, but I'm not sure how the game will perform on the iPhone 4S...

awp69

What aspect do you find challenging? The nice thing about DK is that playing it logically is lot easier than XCOM or Frozen Synapse. Check your corners, protect your flanks, etc
This is a really good tactical guide from Steam
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=200580844

The logistics and controls are much easier in Door Kickers, especially when compared to Frozen Synapse. I'm just still not very good at planning a good approach. Thanks for posting that guide, though. Looks like it could be helpful.

awp69

Interested in buying Cytus; looking for a rhythm game for my phone and this one looks like it has a lot of content.

I want to get The Executive as well, but I'm not sure how the game will perform on the iPhone 4S...

Cytus is excellent and I think it just got a content update (may be IAP). Groove Coaster Zero 2 is out (really just an update to the first game). There's a lot of songs available for it as IAPs but it's also easy to unlock a decent amount of songs without paying.

Edit: Decided to redownload Cytus after reading that a bunch of the chapters (usually $4.99 each) have been made free as the dev gave them out as it reached 1 million downloads. I'd say now is a great time to get into Cytus. Still more chapters can be unlocked via IAP, but the amount of content you get with the initial purchase will keep you going for quite a while.

Wingus

Cytus is excellent and I think it just got a content update (may be IAP). Groove Coaster Zero 2 is out (really just an update to the first game). There's a lot of songs available for it as IAPs but it's also easy to unlock a decent amount of songs without paying.

Edit: Decided to redownload Cytus after reading that a bunch of the chapters (usually $4.99 each) have been made free as the dev gave them out as it reached 1 million downloads. I'd say now is a great time to get into Cytus. Still more chapters can be unlocked via IAP, but the amount of content you get with the initial purchase will keep you going for quite a while.

Thanks for the response. Downloading Cytus as I type this, which should keep me busy for the long time yet. :) It's been a while since I last played a rhythm game (either Hatsune Miku or DJ Max Technika Tune on Vita)

awp69

Thanks for the response. Downloading Cytus as I type this, which should keep me busy for the long time yet. :) It's been a while since I last played a rhythm game (either Hatsune Miku or DJ Max Technika Tune on Vita)

Probably figured it out already, but it's Chapters 1-10, Symphony, Million and Knight that are free with the initial purchase. I think there are three others that are IAPs.

killercow

Retro Arch, an emulator that can play 80+ consoles, got a major update on Android and is coming to iOS next week:
http://t.co/j6tdMzGcUA

I wonder if we'll see it on the Appstore or if it's still gonna be limited to jailbroken devices. I'm guessing it's the latter.

PittaGAF

But will you be able to decide between Deathwatch and This War of Mine :p

Eh :)
I really hate when top games are 'out' all together.
I still have to get Transistor (which I'm sure I'll love).

I'll get all anyway and I'll complete all by the end of the year touch, that's for sure.

PittaGAF

And to add potential awesomeness to awesomeness, Simogo apparently will show their new game at Gamescom in August.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Simogo, I hope you are showing Sneak Beat Bandit 2 or something like that, otherwise I'm done with you. :(

fuck, i forgot Sneak Beat Bandit existed

should have copped that this morning instead of Cytus which, as expected, is too full of Japanese-y music for me :/

killercow

Simogo, I hope you are showing Sneak Beat Bandit 2 or something like that, otherwise I'm done with you. :(

I love everything they've done but I consider Beat Sneak Bandit their greatest achievement and one of the best game ever on iOS. It's also because I'm a huge fan of rhythm games ;)

awp69

anyone play / beat the old game Horn ? It worth playing, or are there better newer games more worth my time.

I played it but never finished. It seemed like a decent game. Kind of like Zelda with Infinity Blade style combat.

If you haven't played Oceanhorn, I'd recommend it over Horn.

am_dragon

How the hell did I forget Door Kickers :p

---

Got some more details on Static Sky, it sounds so good. Real time tactical with a slow motion mode that gives it a pseudo-turn-based feel, different classes, hacking, stealth, etc, Devs are aiming for a late 2015/Winter release

The request was for iPhone 6+ and door kickers is iPad only.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How is door kickers? I have it on steam but if it plays well on iPad I'd double dip. Just feels like it'd be better suited to M&KB

Top Bottom