• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2015 | Apple bans the revolution

uM6g9rg.jpg

fyv6jyZ.jpg

Each month, the iOS GAF community hosts a thread for new game releases, rumors and discussion that define the fast-moving world of iOS gaming.

The OP will contain recommended games that released during the previous month. All the games listed will have been highlighted by the GAF community in one way or another. This way you can keep tabs on the best games and at the same time curate an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

If you're a developer who wishes to have your game featured, please talk about your game in the thread and if the GAF community at large likes the game then your wish just might be granted. Please note that there's a difference between posting about a game you made and just advertising your game with no further interaction with the community, this thread is not for the latter and such advertising behavior is frowned upon.

Directory
1) Introduction & Recommended Games
2) Recommended Games continued
3) Upcoming Releases, Past Threads & Other Links

c9l3j0f.jpg

AfJGqEp.jpg

Site | Trailer | App Store
A real life crime story where you play detective.
Her Story sits you in front of a mothballed desktop computer and logs you into a police database. Search through hundreds of video clips that cover seven interviews from 1994 in which a British woman is interviewed about her missing husband. Explore the database by typing search terms, watch the clips where she speaks those words and piece together her story.
Unlike anything you've played before, Her Story is an involving and moving experience. One that asks you to listen.

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Wow, this game is incredible.

Bought it yesterday, after hearing the hype but knowing absolutely nothing.

It is rather excellent, I kind of loved the idea.
I got a lot of story, but had not gotten credits by the time I had to leave, so I will go back to it later today.

Just finished this. I really liked it. Thought the actress was brilliant. I think the gameplay setup makes piecing together the story confusing enough so the story itself being open to interpretation, even though I think the answer is clear, is probably unneeded.

In any case, pretty satisfying for something so simple. Very cool, if not initially overwhelming to have all the power to search for tags.

I'd love another game like this with a more clear cut story or a cast of characters (whodunnit)

This game is an absolute joy. Loving everything about it, and only just trying to stretch it out a little bit to savor the experience while I can. Such a brilliant idea for a game that's smart and engaging while also being so different than "attack other person" or "shoot people in the face."

KVPPngn.jpg

Door Kickers is the unforgiving, award winning SWAT-command quick tactics game from the PC. Includes all updates and a new campaign, as well as full cross-platform saves compatibility and an all-new interface designed specifically for touch based platforms.
screen480x480.jpeg
screen480x480.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

It's my favorite tactical game. Actually it was my first PC game purchase back in 2013. $5 is an insane deal, the PC game is $20, and the amount of content is just huge.

6 themed campaigns, with more to come. 80 single missions. A scenario editor for endless challenges. Skill trees, squad classes, and customizable loadouts. A simple control scheme that always felt like it was better suited for mobile.

And way more tactical depth than Frozen Synapse and Breach and Clear. FS provides more complexity, but Door Kickers provides more "real" tactics. You can split your team between a stealth and assault force, stack up on doors, use flash bangs or breaching charges, set up go codes and simultaneous breaches, use non-lethal tactics. You're rescuing hostages, performing drug raids, and taking down terrorists and cartel gangs.

The game is fantastic

I co-sign all of this. Thought I'd love Frozen Synapse but it never clicked. Door Kickers is a 10/10 of what it's trying to accomplish.

PMWH1X6.jpg

FROM THE CREATORS OF BASTION: Experience a science fiction action RPG like no other! Wield an extraordinary weapon of unknown origin as you fight through a stunning futuristic city.
BUILT FOR TOUCH: Transistor for iOS features the vibrant presentation and deep combat that Transistor is known for, with an intuitive new touch interface -- or switch to Classic Controls with optional gamepad support.
IT'S YOUR TURN: Transistor seamlessly integrates thoughtful strategic planning into a fast-paced action experience.
FIGHT YOUR WAY: Configure the powerful Transistor with thousands of possible Function combinations to overcome any obstacle.

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Transistor is fantastic, I 100%-ed it on Steam but I'm curious about giving it a go on a touchscreen interface in the future.

Transistor is a great game. Still prefer Bastion over it, but cool to see Supergiant port it to iOS.

Transistor was one of my favorite games of last year, and I bought it the instant I saw it had released on IOS.

Transistor has an incredible amount of depth. You have a large array of different functions, there are your attacks and abilities. A teleport dash, temporary cloaking, summoning allies, different energy blasts, etc. Now consider this: each ability has an active and passive function, and can be combined with each other in countless ways.

That teleport dash? Combine it with your long range attack, and now you damage anything along the length of the dash. Or combine it with your grenade ability and you leave explosives in your wake, and so on. Or vice versa. Use the dash as a passive upgrade to significantly decrease the cooldowns of your attacks

Your bounce attack can add a chaining effect to attacks or be imbued with the effects of other abilities.

Your mine attack can leave behind an explosion that you can activate later or can add an AOE effect to your attacks.

Now image all that but with 16 abilities and each one has two passive slots, and you can also use them to enhance yourself, such as having a defensive shield or periodically leaving behind a distracting clone

That adds so much tactical depth. And the game is very tactical. Turn mode freezes enemies and lets you plan your attacks and movement as efficently as you can given your limited "action points" so to speak

Now mix all that with powerful and varied enemies, a new game plus, special challenge levels, a stylized cyberpunk setting brought to life with a wonderful aesthetic, and an awesome soundtrack, you can't go wrong with Transistor

st7x1at.jpg

Tales From Deep Space is a comedic mis-adventure set on Big Moon, the most eccentric space station in the galaxy. Players help E, a traveling salesman, and his loyal luggage drone CASI escape when Big Moon is thrown into lockdown. E and CASI must work together to fight dangerous battles, solve fiendish puzzles and unravel the nefarious plot behind the mysterious "Meek" uprising. Players can switch between E and CASI in single player or they can play in local, two-player co-op where each player controls the reluctant heroes individually on their own device. Trouble has never been so fun!
screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Been playing some Tales, and it's very polished and fun so far. Has a metroidvania-esque set up, various outfits and items to unlock, solo co-op puzzles and a very charming art style

i8rmBkw.jpg

BUILD A BOAT
Travel the world in your boat, from the top of the Mage Tower to the bottom of Hell
GATHER YOUR CREW
Recruit a crew to live on your boat and offer their services
FRANTIC MATCHING
Match as fast as you can to keep on running
CAPTURE MONSTERS
Turn Monsters to your cause to get bonuses and have them aid your in battle
CAST SPELLS
Use magic to aid your quests, and don’t forget to visit your onboard Arcanery to upgrade them

screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Well, thanks to Space Marshals and You Must Build A Boat, I got no sleep last night.

I can't get enough of You Must Build A Boat. Game is just fantastic. Great follow up to 10,000,000

You Must Build a Boat was pretty fun! Yes, it has the same basic gameplay as 10,000,000, but it's so much more refined. There's always something to do and stuff to upgrade, there's a great progression, it doesn't really outstay its welcome even though it's not totally new.

I missed three or four of the monsters along the way, which I guess are special unlocks. I might go back and try to find some of them. Probably not going to do the higher difficulty that finishing the game unlocks. I think at that point it probably would outstay its welcome. ;)

Genuinely shocked at how good You Must Build a Boat is. I loved 10000000, and expected this to be a rehash of the same game. Which it is, but there's so much more of everything, and it's so much better in every way.

wZHSzFu.jpg

On the floating continent high in the sky, you can find New Paleo.
Explorers from all across the land flock to this hub city, seeking to fulfill their dreams and desires.
But this is but a brief stop before their journey to their true destination, the azure planet of Marble Blue.
Unexplored lands, hidden treasures, monsters, legends...
everything an adventurer could want could be found on this one planet.

screen_img_l02.png
screen_img_r02.png
SVAPhoY.jpg

Chaos Rings III is so damn good...

Got the game on my Android phone. It's a very nice jump from Chaos Rings 2. Only two hours in, but so far it feels like Grandia with Phantasy Star (modern) and a dash of SMT (collecting, evolving and fusion of cards that give you stats and abilities). There's also a separate battle mode, which is a coliseum that gives you rewards and experience points, which you retain in the story mode. I'm quite enjoying the battle system too. There's no longer the risk x reward system of pair attacks, but the game still encourages you to match attacks with two or three party members. It's a deeper system overall, from my brief impressions. Pretty fast and dynamic too, I like it.

Nothing groundbreaking in the genre, but it feels like a B tier PS2 JRPG, which is great for $20. I've read that the game is over 30 hours long, so it offers more content than it's predecessors too.

Also, framerate is much more fluid, for people bothered by that in the previous games.

W7X83sN.jpg

Out There is a hard sci-fi space exploration game blending roguelike, resource management and gamebook mechanics.
• Complete graphics makeover!
• Extended soundtrack by Siddhartha Barnhoorn
• 3 new spaceships
• 1 new ending
• 50+ new interactive stories
• 15 new alien species
• 10 new achievements

landing.jpg
lava.jpg
SVAPhoY.jpg

All the new events and the new art in Out There Omega makes the game feel so much more vibrant and interesting.
I can't spend the time the game deserves right now (after having played it for surely at least 50, probably 100 hours)...but yeah.
Particularly loving the new events and ships and the new mechanics (like when you have to repair the parts of the ship).
The new ending seems really nice (and super hard....so distant!!!).

A mention about the new revamped music.
So beautiful, so long now!!!!

Ds0E5BM.jpg

Be the last hope against the mutant infestation. Enter the aftermath of a scientific experiment gone horribly wrong.
Xenowerk comes from Pixelbite, the creators of Space Marshals. It is a top-down action shooter challenging your combat skills in an underground science lab. Descend deeper into the abyss and explore the tarnished levels. Armed with a flashlight as your main guidance, you’ll never know what’s lurking in the dark!

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Xenowerk is good. A faster, more arcade-y follow-up to Space Marshals. Similar visuals and controls, but set in claustrophobic lab corridors infested with mutants

Seconding Xenowerk. It doesn't bring anything particularly new to the genre, but it's still entertaining.

Xenowerk I just can't get into yet. Coming off how polished and likeable Space Marshals was. It feels like a different studio made it. Where's the heart?

There's no story, you're just thrown in. I'm levelling up guns with no idea what they do. I don't even see a benefit of levelling stuff up. Do they do more damage...do I unlock any features? There's no tutorial no nothing. The 3 star rating, is it against time? Damage taken? Exploration? I've no idea how I'm being scored. there's a multiplier I guess, so I just need to rush levels faster.

The graphics and lighting are beautiful. It's a very pretty looking game. It just feels slightly off at the moment. I'll give it some more time and see what I think after a few more hours.

Xenowerk reminds me of the 3D Alien Breed games that were on XBLA.

Obviously not as innovative as Space Marshalls, but I'm enjoying it and it's systems a lot.

I actually find myself trying to perfect every level which is a rare thing for me.

Tons of cool weapons too, and a unique way of upgrading.

I dunno, it just feels like it does what it's trying to do a lot better than similar games. Must be that special Pixelbite touch.

I definitely recommend it

8PHsRc0.jpg

Trailer | App Store
Take on the role of Agent 47 in Hitman: Sniper - a fixed position shooting game set in beautiful Montenegro. Scope in on your marks using skill, subtlety, subterfuge and the environment to complete your contracts.
Eliminate targets, collect weapon parts and complete blueprints to unlock the most powerful rifles!

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Impressions coming soon

sSAZczG.jpg

Trailer | App Store
In Piloteer, a whimsical and serenely challenging physics-based game about learning to fly, a renowned inventor is determined to overcome the stigma associated with flying a jetpack and convince the world that jetpacks should be revered by all.
Blending elements of both physics and trick-based games, players will need to maneuver their state-of-the-art jetpack through the skies while completing a myriad of increasingly difficult missions to change public perceptions.

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Impressions coming soon

wcEfO6V.png

A friend of mine has a blog and does daily roundups of iOS releases. http://pixelatedparadise.wordpress.com/
Puzzle Mayor - early July
Mechanosaur Hijacks the Moon - late July
This War of Mine
Shards of Memories
More releases to be added soon

IcBECrt.png

iOS Gaming June 2015 | The future is now
iOS Gaming May 2015 | May the Watch be with you
iOS Gaming April 2015 | April sales bring May backlogs
iOS Gaming March 2015 | Beware the IAPs of March
iOS Gaming February 2015 | Under New Management
iOS Gaming December 2014/January 2015

Visit the January 2014 thread for links to December 2013 through November 2012 threads!

aoTNDXB.png
This website keeps track of all the controller enabled games. It gets updated regularly.
3jjyWBt.png
J9WRxM9.jpg
iCade Hardware / Games reviews said:

i4fPlgu.png

svX4yNR.png

5IdwG5T.png

### The Game Center user list is here: quote to see ###
iOS Membership said:
Rules
  • Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you want to be added or taken off the list, following this text formatting: GAF Name = Game Center Name / iOS Device(s)
  • When adding someone, add From GAF to the friend request and your NeoGAF name as to easily tell who's who.
  • Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you are already on the list but want to update your profile with more info like iOS devices(s) owned, or to just change your existing GC profile.
  • We are on the list and, if you are too, it's OK to add us even if we're not best buddies; don't be shy: we enjoy having more GAFers challenging us on the friends leaderboards.
  • Don't just wait for others to add you first you should at least add some of the profiles posted above yours if you want to get the ball rolling... It's really up to you. Ideally the last member of the list will be the one to add the profiles above his, and so on and on with each new member. Or maybe just add whoever you like, that's also an option.
  • Remember: Your real name will be visible to your GC friends.
  • You can add everyone on the list at once; click the second sheet on the iOS Membership list and read the instructions, works on iOS and Macs
JEdp5A3.png

### The form to enter yourself to the list is here: quote to see ###

uPJJtiw.png
How do I back up my game saves for games that do not support iCloud save games?
iFunBox no longer works on most games post iOS 8.3
Use a file manager program such as i-FunBox (PC/Mac) - It's free and requires no jailbreak. i-FunBox has many different features, but to back up save games you would just want to do the following:
  • Click the iFunBox Classic tab
  • Connect your iOS device, via WiFi or USB, it should then appear in the Connected Devices list on the left side of the UI.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to back up save games for.
  • Select the Documents and Library folders and copy them one at a time to your PC/Mac - this will copy the folders and all their contents. They contains your save files and settings for the game. Some games only use Documents, some use both.
To restore a backed up save game do the reverse.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to restore save games for.
  • Select the Documents and/or Library folders and choose to copy from PC/Mac.
  • Navigate to where you saved the backed up Documents and/or Library folders on your PC/Mac, open them and select all the files within it and open them. This will copy the folder contents back onto your iOS device.
  • Restart/fully close the game itself and your saves should be back!
Check that the file structure of the game is retained, e.g. GameName > Documents > files after you're done (no Documents folder within the Documents folder!), otherwise the game will not recognize your restored saves!
How do I hide my Real Name on Game Center?
Your real first and last name (taken from your Apple ID) will be shown to your GC friends. If you value that information and want GAF's leaderboards to show your GAF nickname instead, here's how you do it:
  • Go to http://appleid.apple.com and log in with your Apple ID details via "Manage your Apple ID".
  • In the "Name, ID and Email Addresses" section, click Edit on the Your Name field at the top.
  • Change you First and Last name (you must enter both) to whatever you like (e.g. First Name: Tunesmith, Last Name: GAF)
Done, now that's who you're going to be listed as on your friend's Game Center leaderboards. This will affect Game Center *and* your Apple ID. If it's the same account you use for App Store/iTunes, you will still be able to use it for iTunes/App Store's purchases (you can still buy whatever you want like you could before) *BUT* in the receipt it'll show your nickname or whatever you chose as First Name and Last Name when you changed those fields. The first time you will use the modified account on App Store/iTunes, you will be asked to verify the account by re-entering the 3 digits code of the credit card's CCV security code (if you make your purchases using a credit card).
Should I buy this new high-priced game or wait for a sale?
Maybe! Just be aware that iOS games have a tendency to go on sale frequently and unpredictably, even recent games can be a dollar rather than premium $4-5. Spend your pack of gum money wisely. As a recommendation, set up a RSS feed for the price changes on http://appshopper.com/which will then notify you of any price fluctuations for old and new games alike.
I just got an iPhone/iPad. What are the best games?
In addition to checking out the past month's iOS Gaming threads, visit Why iOS Rocks / iOS Hidden Gems. You're welcome and your wallet will hurt.
For gaming, should I get the iPad Mini 2, or iPad Air?
Both have their pros and cons. The Mini 2 is cheaper and smaller but there is a slight difference between the Air's A7 chip and the mini's A7: the mini's is around 100MHz slower -- 1.3GHz compared to the Air's 1.4GHz. Other than that they're both identical in spec. It's very much a coin toss between if you want a 9.7" or a 7.9" screen.
I'm a new iOS user, what non-gaming apps should I get ASAP?
This thread would be a great place to start. Asking here wouldn't hurt either!

RmHPAM6.png

Genuine thanks to our iOS Gaming community for keeping these monthly threads alive!
Special thanks to ParityBit for the thread title and to Tunesmith for his fantastic thread format and month after month of hard work in maintaining these threads

Just in case any of you were on the fence, Piloteer is from the developer of Pivvot. It's basically what Backflip Madness could have been

Groove Coaster Zero just got a major update to Groove Coaster 2 Original Style.

Edit: Disregard what I said earlier - it's working now, the servers just weren't available last night.

SteveWD40

Door Kickers is my best iOS game since Hearthstone. Like FTL it plays better on iPad than PC and the port is flawless.

Desktop Dungeons bothers me in the quality of the port (low res, PC menu etc...) but Killhouse Games truly knocked it out of the park in terms of PC - iOS porting.

awp69

Some nice deals today:

Implosion $9.99 ---> $4.99
Super Hexagon $2.99 ---> $.99
Halo: Spartan Strike $5.99 ---> $2.99
Wondercat Adventures $1.99 ---> $.99
Thomas Was Alone $4.99 ---> $1.99
Lifeline $2.99 ---> $.99
Proun+ $2.99 ---> $.99

Maybe 4th of July sales starting?

ParityBit

Yay! My title made it.

I have been playing Grimfandago at night in bed. I loved this game way back and I love it just as much now.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Some nice deals today:

Implosion $9.99 ---> $4.99
Super Hexagon $2.99 ---> $.99
Halo: Spartan Strike $5.99 ---> $2.99
Wondercat Adventures $1.99 ---> $.99
Thomas Was Alone $4.99 ---> $1.99
Lifeline $2.99 ---> $.99
Proun+ $2.99 ---> $.99

Maybe 4th of July sales starting?

Hrmm... might finally bite on Implosion, but I'm not a fan of virtual sticks.

Anyone have impressions on the controls?

awp69

They are excellent and it's one of the best action adventures on iOS. I actually find you do more melee attacks than using the controls as a dual-stick shooters. Combat has a Devil May Cry feel with combos and a lot of variations through upgrades (my only complaint with th game is that the upgrade system can be confusing).

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
They are excellent and it's one of the best action adventures on iOS. I actually find you do more melee attacks than using the controls as a dual-stick shooters. Combat has a Devil May Cry feel with combos and a lot of variations through upgrades (my only complaint with th game is that the upgrade system can be confusing).

thanks, it's between this and space marshall for me

They spent years tuning this game and it clearly shows in the controls. In my experience, if there is one iOS action game where you'll never get a control wrong in the midst of the action, this is it.

awp69

Doesn't look like much exciting is coming out tonight, unless we get some surprise (which we have had quite a few lately).

Emarv

What a great year of iOS games we've had this year. I'm interested in just about everything listed.

Also, the continued, patient wait for WarBits...

What a great year of iOS games we've had this year. I'm interested in just about everything listed.

Also, the continued, patient wait for WarBits...
And to think we still got Submerged, Deathwatch, The Room 3, Prison Architect, Titan Quest, Brothers, I Am Bread, Lara Croft GO, Calvino Noir, Drifter, and more coming this year

awp69

Door Kickers is fun. I still suck at it badly, but don't feel quite as stupid as I do playing games like Frozen Synapse. Also like the ability to change things on the fly.

If only there were an easy mode....;)

awp69

The Executive looks interesting. Ashame it takes up 1.7 GB installed (large file size was a reason why I never finished the dev's previous title Pizza vs. Skeletons).

I'll have to wait to finish some things up before giving The Executive a go.

pdk27

Ok I played the tutorial and the first level. The production values in this game are great. A lot of times I feel like shortcuts are taken on mobile games in comparison to portables but everything here from a production point of view screams quality.

Played around with all three controls schemes and settled on the floating stick in the corner. With the other two schemes my finger would end up blocking the view too often for my liking. My only suggestion with the controls would be that with the control stick scheme, maybe consider making the dive bomb control only work on the right side of the screen. When playing with a virtual stick I take my finger off quite a bit and a bunch of times when I brought it back the character would start to do the drop (the dive bomb command is just touch anywhere on the screen at the moment).

The first level is a nice open area where go around collecting the usual platforming elements. There are just a couple enemies so there is no worry of dying. I was just flying around trying to find all the hidden stuff I could. It was pretty enjoyable. Seems like there is an upgrade system as well so I'm guessing you get a few more powers. Right now I can dive bomb and pick up boxes to throw at enemies.

If the rest of the game keeps up the quality of the first level, I would have no problems recommended it at it's premium price. Hopefully it catches on because I'd rather see Sega publishing games like this than yet another Sonic runner.

SmokyDave

Dropping a post in here so I'm subbed for the month.

I'm completely hooked on YMBAB and Drift Girls at the moment. No new purchases until I've cleared those two.

awp69

try being more awesome

Does that mean I'm awesome? ;)

Bought The Executive. Debating between Heroki,Tales from Deep Space or Til Morning's Light.

Leaning towards Heroki since it looks more unique.

Any thoughts?

Also, Fearless Fantasy is a great game and a steal at a dollar. Very cool rhythm based combat (guess you could say QTE, but it's more than just pressing buttons at the right time).

Edit: Think I'm going to go for Heroki. Smaller install size when I have little space. Will eventually get the Amazon efforts as they all sound good.

The latest (and final?) version of Magic: The Gathering is supposed to land towards the end of this month. It'll hit iPad first, with the iPhone version coming down the line.

I couldn't stand last year's version--interface was terrible and the deck drafting was all wrong--but they're switching to 100% f2p this year and going for the Hearthstone model so we'll see how it goes. Wondering if the economy of buying cards wil be as

Here's a little preview with a video showing off the new interface.

Emarv

The latest (and final?) version of Magic: The Gathering is supposed to land towards the end of this month. It'll hit iPad first, with the iPhone version coming down the line.

I couldn't stand last year's version--interface was terrible and the deck drafting was all wrong--but they're switching to 100% f2p this year and going for the Hearthstone model so we'll see how it goes. Wondering if the economy of buying cards wil be as

Here's a little preview with a video showing off the new interface.

If they can manage a single account between PC and iPad, then I'm down to get back into Magic.

Timotheus

Guys, you need to check out The Executive! What a crazy mix between Street Fighter, Zelda 2 and Elite Beat Agents (!)! It's from the creators of Pizza vs. Skeletons...

awp69

Guys, you need to check out The Executive! What a crazy mix between Street Fighter, Zelda 2 and Elite Beat Agents (!)! It's from the creators of Pizza vs. Skeletons...

Yep, just played a few levels. Great stuff. Also has a bit of a One Finger Death punch feel to it, but much more to it. Great presentation. Bizarre, wild and fun.

Also played the prologue of Heroki. Beautiful game with spot on controls for mobile. I have a great feeling about this one possibly being on my year end best of list. We'll see after I get some more game time. Would love to see this grow into an IP that garners some attention for Sega and Picomy and hope it is successful enough to continue to prove how premium can perform well on mobile. Props to Sega for taking a chance on this (while simultaneously ruining Sonic's mobile aspirations :( ).

Actually, I hope it does well so that maybe Sega will rethink their approach to Sonic on iOS and get back on the right path.

Top Bottom