• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2015 | Apple bans the revolution

How is door kickers? I have it on steam but if it plays well on iPad I'd double dip. Just feels like it'd be better suited to M&KB
Controls really well, only two caveats: you can't lock your aim and sometimes it's very difficult to choose paths to add aiming points when you have multiple paths overlapping

But overall, an excellent port with cross-platform saves so you can import your progress from the PC version and vice versa

killercow

Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions has been updated with the "Dimensions Evolved" DLC for free. 40 new levels and 4 new modes (Plus a shiny new icon!).

Tak3n

Banned
so I can not recommend Adventures of Pip, I just played a copy of the steam version, and it is ok, but not worth £10 and very samey, plus on IOS I can imagine the controls being a big negative as there is a lot of tight jumps required with pin point accuracy...

the price is off, I think they wont see many at all at £10

Website is live:
https://www.ubisoft.com/en-GB/game/rayman-adventures/

Game is out this fall, made by Ubisoft Montpellier. Seems like there will be musical minigames and a focus on exploration. Plus planned updates.
Rayman Adventures seems to be iOS exclusive for now.

Edit:
Holy S***: Don't Starve Pocket Edition coming to the iPad this thursday for 4.99$:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z-A6LaPwh4
And it even includes the Reign of Giants expansion (which alone is $4,99 on PC). Excellent deal

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

awp69

"pocket" edition

:(

Someone's gotta have some big ass pockets to fit even an iPad Mini.

Have it on PC from a bundle, but never could get ino it. Just not into these kind of survival sims.

That said I'm always happy to see a popular PC/console game ported to iOS. I figure if a lot of console and PC gamers see high profile ports on mobile they may eventually start to respect mobile more. And once they get into mobile gaming, they'll see that there really are a ton of top notch premium games and not just the stereotypical F2P crap,

Crub

I just got an SFC30 (SNES-style controller) and want to check out some iCade compatible games. Any recommendations?

According to PG, 40% of Her Story sales were from IOS

That's really impressive. Perhaps a sign that paid games are becoming more viable nowadays?

Damn it.
Lately the sheer number of great games coming out weekly is a bit overwhelming.
Seriously. I was expecting Don't Starve later this summer, not like a week after Klei teased it.

But overwhelming amounts of great games is a good problem for a platform. Reminds me of indie games on PC, I literally learn about something new everyday

datamage

I'm trying to recall an iPad game... I think it was sprite based, and it was a word game where you battle creatures and the like. (Side-scrolling and it was not available on iPhone, just iPad.) I'd say it's maybe 1-1.5 years old?

Can anyone help? ;) I tried digging through some of the iOS archives, but haven't been able to find it yet.

I'm trying to recall an iPad game... I think it was sprite based, and it was a word game where you battle creatures and the like. (Side-scrolling and it was not available on iPhone, just iPad.) I'd say it's maybe 1-1.5 years old?

Can anyone help? ;) I tried digging through some of the iOS archives, but haven't been able to find it yet.
Sounds like Words for Evil

Edit: looks like it might have been removed from the store. I'd also recommend Word Mage

awp69

Beatbuddy is on sale for $.99 (down from $4.99). Always had an interest in it, but the file size and somewhat mixed reviews pushed me away. Think I'll bite now.

For anyone interested in it, it's 1.3 GB installed.

Sky Force got Metal support. Awesome.

Good month so far. Along with Don't Starve coming up, we've gotten Heroki, Adventures of Pip, The Executive, Divide By Sheep, and Spry Fox's new word game Alphabear. And at the very least, we're also getting This War of Mine later in July

Heel

Can't say I particularly enjoyed Lifeline.

The story was putting along just fine, but when you fail you have to start the day over and repeat that section of the game. This is (mostly) remedied by the game letting you enable a "Fast Mode" that lets you go straight through the dialog without roleplaying the real world time between actions. The problem is you only unlock Fast Mode once you've beaten the game, making it fairly useless toward this complaint.

Also, just a bit too much in the way of

OH...........

OH MY GOD.

[Character is busy]

when it comes to story dialogue.

If they ever let you enable Fast Mode after your first failure of a particular section, I'd probably recommend it. Without it, the game grinds to a halt after your first fail state.

captureebq9a.png

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zero-punctuation-hatfall/id978386210?mt=8

Addictive Games bring us the ios/browser/"probably could do it with some string" game Hatfall. The premise is simple. You control a man who has to position himself under a falling hat. Besides removing irony from the title, this action gives you a point if the hat successfully falls on your head. If it doesn't fall on your head, you lose and start again.

If that sounds simple, well done, you have a grasp of gaming mechanics. It is also pretty accurate, because that is all you do. To add some challenge to the outing, the game attempts to confuse or outright troll you by having multiple people on the screen, forcing you to work out which is yourself as the hat falls down. To compound things further, not every descending object is a hat and things like fridges are best not stood under.

From there you'll get the flow of the game. It starts off easy, but then you'll get more people on the screen, more fake choices and less time to make a decision. It is classic stuff and works for the most part, which is probably expected given it is so simple.

However, that is really all there is to it. You can unlock things by collecting more hats, but they are not really worth doing so and are not even full of the Zero Punctuation "in" jokes that might have provided a bit of value to the title. Given that, you'd be best to stick with the browser version, which can be found here:

http://www.addictinggames.com/action-games/hatfall-game.jsp

Oh but you purchased it on itunes? Well for $2.50 you get your game which is fair enough. I've enjoyed the guy's comedy for years so I don't mind throwing a couple of bucks down for a pointless and limited experience. Heck I paid much more for Dragon Age Inquisition.

But here is the rub. Hatfall also includes a $0.99 IAP to "DOUBLE HATS FOREVER and unlock three unique shop items"!!!! Which is a bit of a fucking joke. As the store itself says "Like the game? Why not chuck us a measly 99 cents to double collected hats?" I'll tell you why, because I already bought the fucking game.

So yeah, browser it is.

Don't Starve controls wonderfully. Smooth simple touch interface. Another one to add to the list of excellent PC-to-mobile ports

maxcriden

Hi all. I'm new to mobile gaming and have an android phone but my understanding is a lot of games are available on both kinds of devices. So this seems to be an active thread so I thought I might ask for a recommendation or two. I tend to like Nintendo sorts of games if that's helpful. I previously really enjoyed Monument Valley on my iPad but I tried Pip's Adventure and have found it just OK so far. That's the extent of my mobile gaming experience really. I've tried angry birds and fkappy bird and such but those aren't really my cup of tea. Thanks for any recs you can provide!

killercow

Hi all. I'm new to mobile gaming and have an android phone but my understanding is a lot of games are available on both kinds of devices. So this seems to be an active thread so I thought I might ask for a recommendation or two. I tend to like Nintendo sorts of games if that's helpful. I previously really enjoyed Monument Valley on my iPad but I tried Pip's Adventure and have found it just OK so far. That's the extent of my mobile gaming experience really. I've tried angry birds and fkappy bird and such but those aren't really my cup of tea. Thanks for any recs you can provide!

If you like those kinds of games I'd recommend Heroki. It oozes with charm and polish close to what you could expect from Nintendo.

Oceanhorn is a good Zelda-like.

maxcriden

If you like those kinds of games I'd recommend Heroki. It oozes with charm and polish close to what you could expect from Nintendo.

I've heard of it and it looks great but I'm really looking for something on Android for my commute. Isn't that ios only?

Huge Alto's update:

What's New
The Workshop Update!

Izel’s been busy crafting some exciting new items in her workshop for you to try! Grab a helmet or two, level up your wingsuit, and keep an eye out for that llama stampede! But that’s not all – we’ve also made some further tweaks and improvements, including support for six new languages!

HELMETS

Carved from wood, these helmets will protect you from a single crash per run. They wont help with chasms though!

PICKAXE

A magical pickaxe that saves you from a single chasm crash per run.

LLAMA HORN

A blast from this mighty horn will cause a llama stampede! Once purchased, this item will appear at random on the mountainside.

LLAMA HORN STRENGTH

Increase the strength of the llama horn to cause even bigger stampedes!

WINGSUIT TIMER

Increase the duration of the wingsuit timer to fly even greater distances!

COIN MAGNET & HOVER FEATHER

Upgrade the magnet and feather timers even further than before!

6 NEW LANGUAGES

• Danish
• Dutch
• Norwegian
• Portuguese
• Swedish

OTHER IMPROVEMENTS

• Added 64-bit and Metal rendering support
• Added spring loaded “quick select” menu to player button (tap and hold to open)
• Options to change player and access the workshop from end-of-run screen
• Replaced Chinese Traditional and Japanese fonts with language-specific variants
• Improved vertical camera tracking when approaching chasm
• Fixed bug with goals 32-3 and 46-3
• Fixed bug that would cause Izel’s wingsuit rocket sound to get stuck on
• Recovering after a fall gives you a speed boost
• Replaying tutorial can be canceled by returning to home screen
• Various other UI additions and improvements

I think you'll find this thread very helpful
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921676

maxcriden

Oceanhorn is a good Zelda-like.

I'm playing Phantom Hourglass right now on DS, will Oceanhorn be a bit too similar? Thanks man.

Might want to check out the Android gaming thread.

I'll post in there, too. This just seemed more active. Thanks!

I think you'll find this thread very helpful
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921676

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks man!

How violent is Bastion? I was interested in it. Is it more violent than Zelda? I guess I am game for it. I was hoping it's on PS3 but it looks like PS4 only and it'll be ages before I get one...probably multiple years...so I guess I'll play it on Android if it's good there. The mobile port of it is legit?

Same deal with Broken Age and wanting to play it on a console. Too bad that one's not on PS3. I don't want to pay $10 for that one though, lol, with the mixed reviews.

I'm playing Phantom Hourglass right now on DS, will Oceanhorn be a bit too similar? Thanks man.

I'll post in there, too. This just seemed more active. Thanks!

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks man!

How violent is Bastion? I was interested in it. Is it more violent than Zelda? I guess I am game for it. I was hoping it's on PS3 but it looks like PS4 only and it'll be ages before I get one...probably multiple years...so I guess I'll play it on Android if it's good there. The mobile port of it is legit?

Same deal with Broken Age and wanting to play it on a console. Too bad that one's not on PS3. I don't want to pay $10 for that one though, lol, with the mixed reviews.
Bastion is a hack n slash. No puzzles really. All about the combat

If you're looking for something Zelda-like, I'd recommend Oceanhorn and Ittle Dew.

And if you enjoyed the tactile hands-on nature of Monument Valley, The Room series is fantastic.

maxcriden

Bastion is a hack n slash. No puzzles really. All about the combat

If you're looking for something Zelda-like, I'd recommend Oceanhorn and Ittle Dew.

And if you enjoyed the tactile hands-on nature of Monument Valley, The Room series is fantastic.

Thank you. I think Ittle Dew is on Wii U so I'll plan to check it out there.

I'll keep Oceanhorn in mind but I think it will feel too same-y for me right now with playing Phantom Hourglass currently.

I'll take a look at The Room. Thanks man!

ETA: d/l'ing The Room and I'll report back with impressions. Eager for more recommendations in the meantime though. Thanks!!

awp69

How violent is Bastion? I was interested in it. Is it more violent than Zelda?

Just to clarify. If by "violent", you mean bloody or gory, it isn't at all. As More_Badass mentioned it is a a hack n' slash, but it's a great game if you are looking for an action RPG with a much different feel than Zelda. I'd check out reviews of even the console versions since it is identical in content tailored to touch screens.

ETA: d/l'ing The Room and I'll report back with impressions. Eager for more recommendations in the meantime though. Thanks!!

Alto's Adventure is a gorgeous endless runner with no IAP.
Hero Emblems is a match 3, has a nice cartoony presentation.
If you like Ace Attorney, Dual Destinies is available

Top Bottom