• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread April 2013: Now with GAF Gold IAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKong

I'm trying to picture what you guys are talking about with The Other Brothers...you hold for a direction, and you slide it left if you wanna go left, and vice versa? Sounds like something that might work okay.

its like you are moving to the right so holding it that way, and then you need to go up so you click on the screen, but you clicked a little bit higher and it centers the dpad there instead

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
its like you are moving to the right so holding it that way, and then you need to go up so you click on the screen, but you clicked a little bit higher and it centers the dpad there instead
But if I just slide up with your finger instead of clicking like you said, does it work like that? If implemented well I could be down with that.

But if I just slide up with your finger instead of clicking like you said, does it work like that? If implemented well I could be down with that.

It sort of depends. If your hands are even remotely tacky at any point, then sliding your thumb around is uncomfortable because your skin sticks and drags against the screen. Even the tiniest amount of sweat produces this effect.

They've tried to emulate a d-pad while overlooking the fact that people don't actually move their thumbs over a d-pad, the thumb remains stationary while the d-pad is moved. It just doesn't translate.

NeonGames_Kevin

Neo Member
I just got an ipad for my bday (thanks, honey.)

Are there any good turn based strategy games like Xcom, Fire Emblem, FF: Tactics, Heroes of Might and Magic, etc? I Know that Space Hulk game is coming soon. Seems like the perfect platform for kicking back and issuing move and attack commands at a liesurly pace.

I haven't really found anything on that level of strategy on the iPad, it seems the best Strat games on the platform are board games or hybrid sim/strat.

Recommendations for you:

Rebuild: A turn based tile game in which you start off with a small holdout and try to rebuild a zombie infested city before they overwhelm your survivors.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rebuild/id478523928?mt=8

Build-a-Lot 2
Based on the Mac game, a time based town building game.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/build-a-lot-2-town-of-the-year/id380141876?mt=8

Small World
Based on the very popular board game, where you play against an AI or can play with a friend on a table and the screen rotates.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/small-world-for-ipad/id364165557?mt=8

Lee N

Membre
WHAT THE LITERAL FUCK OTHER BROTHER CONTROLS
They're indeed a special breed of terrible, I tweeted to the developers and they responded saying they're working on an update with alternative input methods - including iCade support.

I'm loving the art but I can't really tell if the game is any good in its current state.

Adam J.

I can tell there is a good game buried under the terrible controls with Other Brothers. The graphics, music, and overall atmosphere is tops.

Hige

Had no interest in The Other Brothers, but now I almost want to download it just to see how bad the controls are. Reverse viral marketing?

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Why would you guys even be buying a game that has a virtual D-pad.

It's like you enjoy throwing money at the worst idea to plague ios games.

I generally prefer not to play games with virtual controls, but League Of Evil's are at least pretty good as far as virtual controls go.

Why would you guys even be buying a game that has a virtual D-pad.

It's like you enjoy throwing money at the worst idea to plague ios games.

League of Evil, SF4 Volt and several other games are fine to play with virtual controls, especially on an iphone that you can hold naturally.

The problem isn't the idea, just the implementation.

Well, I don't like virtual d-pads even in those games, personally.

I'm sure many people will not so that is more than ok. But I think there is plenty of fun to be had there, which means it isn't a bad idea to do it well if you are going to do it.

yogloo

Have anyone played injustice? The DC fighting game?
It's a very simplistic game. It's not that great, but for some reason I can't stop playing it.

FuKuy

No opinions on 'Run Sheldon!'?
https://itunes.apple.com/app/run-sheldon!/id619170792

BFLTcTE.jpg

mzl.cmwgwemz.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.wvosijwa.320x480-75.jpg

I bought the Other Brothers because it looks absolutely lovely, here's to hoping I survive the controls...That and 99 cents? Cheaper than a bottle of tea in a vending machine.

ToxicAdam

I played Might and Magic: Duel of Champions card game last night. It's kind of by the numbers, nothing too remarkable about it.

Thanks jerk, I was hoping to get some work done this week.

Odd it isn't optimized for iPhone 5. These games are on android which are mostly 16:9 o.o

lol iootp 2013 doesn't support widescreen or any form of retina screen at launch. A brand new app in 2013 :p

Sure the first update will be that but probably just because apple finally made it a requirement for updates lol.

theytookourjobz

Really looking forward to Xcom. I love playing games on my iPad (and to a lesser extent my iPhone) but I feel like I don't have too many games with any kind of depth.

Ristlager

I have to say Final Fintasy V is just gaming crack on iphone. By far the best iOS game I have played (and I am an expert). It is just so refreshing playing it when everything is so fast and smooth. Have not seen much talk about it here, exept the art dissing, but for me it is just an overall amazing game.

Really looking forward to VI on iOS whenever it comes.

chris121580

It takes a lot for me to complain about virtual controls...I can usually make them work but the complaints about The Other Brothers are legit. Worst virtual controls I've ever had to try and get used to

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I can't get into Nimble Quest. I love Pocket Planes so I was hoping for something like that again. I see the new Kairosoft game is out though, bought.

Finished console XCom the other night, can't wait for the iOS version.

Booter

I can't get into Nimble Quest.

yeah, gameplay seems a bit shallow to me, although i haven't spent a ton of time with it. it's snake with another layer on top.

seems like a quality game although i don't really feel as though i'm playing a game, more like i'm a software observer who presses buttons sometimes. are there people who are fans of this rayman character? he is no mario that's for sure. he's no mikey shorts either.

Slayin (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/slayin/id548580856?mt=8) is pretty good, its kind of simple but it seems challenging enough

this game is fun!

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I have to say Final Fintasy V is just gaming crack on iphone. By far the best iOS game I have played (and I am an expert). It is just so refreshing playing it when everything is so fast and smooth. Have not seen much talk about it here, exept the art dissing, but for me it is just an overall amazing game.

Really looking forward to VI on iOS whenever it comes.

I'm glad you're able to accept Square Enix spending 5 minutes throwing a port together and then charging $15.99 for it. Still can't believe we're never going to see V and VI redone the same way as III and IV.

GeekyDad

Been a while since I stopped in here (playing a lot on my 3DS as of late). I see the Other Bros. finally got released. So, all that time and...bad?

I'm glad you're able to accept Square Enix spending 5 minutes throwing a port together and then charging $15.99 for it. Still can't believe we're never going to see V and VI redone the same way as III and IV.

I mean its still ffv at its core and doesn't run like ass.

And now I think about it, it's the only way to legally play ffv on a current gen system.

Owzers

Are there any good card battle games that don't involve crazy in-app card purchases? Injustice is decent but it's neither a good card battle game nor is it a good fighting game. Maybe that Uncharted Vita card game should be checked out. The last good one i played was Shadow War/Arc/Something on android but that one had problems too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom