• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Nicalis one of the worst "indie" publishers in the industry? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
- They announced 1001 Spikes for 3DS and WiiU over 2 years ago. Still nowhere to be seen. It was supposed to be an enhanced port/remake of an existing XBLA game. Still no date.
Tyrone Rodriguez was on the PlayStation Blogcast last week, and said that the PlayStation versions of 1001 Spikes were done and had been submitted to Sony. Said they were working on setting a date, planning on a "summer" release.

rjc571

Banned
On the positive side of the coin, they actually did an extremely good job porting Nightsky to the 3DS. You can complain about how long it took the game to actually come out, but you can't say anything bad about the quality of the port. The visuals, physics and performance of the PC version were flawlessly replicated on the 3DS, the 3D effect was really nice, and it was completely bug-free. It's one of the most satisfying eShop games I've played on 3DS to date.

Mael

Tyrone Rodriguez was on the PlayStation Blogcast last week, and said that the PlayStation versions of 1001 Spikes were done and had been submitted to Sony. Said they were working on setting a date, planning on a "summer" release.

Ok, seriously it's like they're doing this on purpose.
They announce a game that could be cool and then they switch platforms without telling anyone.
Not doing business with them ever again.

Yes they are. I don't even hate on Nicalis, I actually like them and really appreciate their job... but come on, sometimes, it's just horrible. Especially if you're European.

Chopper

Yeah, they're awful.

The lack of communication is painful!

I, and a few others, flat out asked Tyrone about Cave Story+ in that Game Pad thread, and we were ignored. That wasn't very long ago either, and it has since released here in Europe, so I don't know why he was so secretive.

I decided not to buy it in the end. I completely lost interest.

Ludist210

On the positive side of the coin, they actually did an extremely good job porting Nightsky to the 3DS.
I agree with that, but it was supposed to be a WiiWare game. It was announced in 2009 (when WiiWare was actually still a viable service)...and it didn't hit any platforms until 2011.

Man God said:
Games coming out years late or never, glitchy, failing QA test after QA test.

You referring to working designs? I always thought their ports back in the day were pretty solid, but did take a while to localize.

JoshHood

Did NightSky ever even come out on the 3DS in Europe? I know a fair few people who were waiting on that.

Was it Nicalis doing the Vita VVVVVV port that even Terry Cavanagh was surprised still existed when they tweeted about it?
Off the top of my head...Neko, Ripstone, Circle etd, Enjoy Up, Nnooo.
Curve too. And I guess Team 17 now?

On the positive side of the coin, they actually did an extremely good job porting Nightsky to the 3DS. You can complain about how long it took the game to actually come out, but you can't say anything bad about the quality of the port. The visuals, physics and performance of the PC version were flawlessly replicated on the 3DS, the 3D effect was really nice, and it was completely bug-free. It's one of the most satisfying eShop games I've played on 3DS to date.

Yep. I actually first played the game on 3DS because, at the time, the PC version could only be played in a window and I didn't want to play it like. Now, it's gotten an "HD upgrade" so that is no longer the case.

Muzy72

Banned
Yeah Nicalis is the absolute worst. They announce things and then never talk about them again for years. No communication with the fans at all.

They seem to detest Europe with their every fiber. It can't be Nintendo, to a certain extent. If Binding of Isaac:RE takes as long to come here as Cave Story eShop, I'll cry.

Harpuia

Also, remember when NightSky was supposed to launch exclusively on WiiWare? Yeah, that never happened. Launched on Steam first, 3DS second, and never on WiiWare. (Still a fantastic game)

I recall being rather excited for Nightsky, the Nicalis and nifflas joint. However, in between the time where they announced they'd be publishing and releasing it, I just sorta forgot about it. 2007 to 2011. That's 4 years and I remember very little news about it's development and progress. I was also there for the whole Cave Story debacle, where let out next to no info with regards to it's release.

I hung around the Cave Story/Nicalis support forums back when it was first announced. The whole forum was filled to the brim of angry Cave Story fans, and even DeceasedCrab complaining about the progress and complete debauchery of the soundtrack ingame. I don't quite remember the tone of response from the PR folks on their own website, but it was very sidesteppy and overall vague.

EDIT: Yeah, looks like the old support nicalis forums are down. IIRC, I just remember DC and a handful of other forumites being highly critical of what they've done with the port.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Such as ? and why?

Let's say one publisher takes a game and proceeds to sell it without giving the dev a penny.

They continue to do so for years despite many requests from the dev asking what the heck's goin' on.

Then they say wait a second, the ceiling for royalty payouts is $5,000, despite nothing in the contract saying that. Then they say $1,000. Then they say payments are quarterly. Then you don't hear from them again.

Then let's say they continue screwing indie devs until one website finally writes an article about it and gets a few statements from devs who have been screwed over by this company.

And then let's say that publisher, despite being 100% in the wrong, denies any wrongdoing and is in fact angry at the article and devs for making them "look like the bad guy." Then they pay out what is supposedly owed to one of the devs in the article, without issuing a royalty report or having any proof that was indeed what was owed, and was in fact a lower payment than any of their supposed "ceilings" you had to hit before getting any money.

Then let's say after the money is finally in your bank account, they actually ask if they could publish your game on Steam, despite email after email declaring your contract with this publisher is terminated due to them not following through multiple points that can be considered grounds for cancellation of said contract.

And then, to top it off, your game is Greenlit on Steam...and you find out the publisher is trying to beat you to market by releasing your game on Steam before you can, despite telling them they have absolutely no right to do so. They know you'll try to pull it off Steam, but at least they can make a few hundred sales right?

So then you're constantly anxious that your game will be released on Steam, without your consent, making money that you'll never ever see a dime of, in a state that could be nearly broken with zero Steam features, without any way of patching it since you'd have to go through the publisher who has zero contact with you already, with the potential of a ton of customers angry at the developer for making a shoddy product despite the fact that it's not their fault at all.

...so yeah, there are worse.

Persona7

Banned
They're the worst that I can think of, mostly due to their handling of La-Mulana. iirc they didn't even tell Nigoro that they canceled it, what the hell.

If I remember correctly the situtation was that they sent Nicalis the final build of the game and then never heard anything about it for months until one day Nicalis announced that it was cancelled on twitter and then sent them a email after the fact.

After that the game was promptly picked up and released by EnjoyUp Games.

Kieli

I always saw Nicalis as the publisher out to make a quick buck by rehashing already made games of other developer(s).

Kinda curious to learn it's more than that (for some people, at least).

Mael

Let's say one publisher takes a game and proceeds to sell it without giving the dev a penny.

They continue to do so for years despite many requests from the dev asking what the heck's goin' on.

Then they say wait a second, the ceiling for royalty payouts is $5,000, despite nothing in the contract saying that. Then they say $1,000. Then they say payments are quarterly. Then you don't hear from them again.

Then let's say they continue screwing indie devs until one website finally writes an article about it and gets a few statements from devs who have been screwed over by this company.

And then let's say that publisher, despite being 100% in the wrong, denies any wrongdoing and is in fact angry at the article and devs for making them "look like the bad guy." Then they pay out what is supposedly owed to one of the devs in the article, without issuing a royalty report or having any proof that was indeed what was owed, and was in fact a lower payment than any of their supposed "ceilings" you had to hit before getting any money.

Then let's say after the money is finally in your bank account, they actually ask if they could publish your game on Steam, despite email after email declaring your contract with this publisher is terminated due to them not following through multiple points that can be considered grounds for cancellation of said contract.

And then, to top it off, your game is Greenlit on Steam...and you find out the publisher is trying to beat you to market by releasing your game on Steam before you can, despite telling them they have absolutely no right to do so. They know you'll try to pull it off Steam, but at least they can make a few hundred sales right?

So then you're constantly anxious that your game will be released on Steam, without your consent, making money that you'll never ever see a dime of, in a state that could be nearly broken with zero Steam features, without any way of patching it since you'd have to go through the publisher who has zero contact with you already, with the potential of a ton of customers angry at the developer for making a shoddy product despite the fact that it's not their fault at all.

...so yeah, there are worse.

Holy shit I didn't know about know about that o_O

BlueMagic

I always thought badly of Nicalis, ever since they delayed Cave Story for the Wii eshop a couple of times (and then released it with buggy music), but I was under the impression that people liked them.
Didn't Tyrone also talk shit about the Wii U or something?

I'm not that familiar with other indie publishers, but I know how unprofessional Nicalis handled Cave Story and La Mulana. Both games I looked really forward to playing on my (European) Wii. I eventually lost interest and ended up buying them on the PC through Steam and Playism.

This is what happened with the Paper Monsters ReCut guys, right?

I'm not that familiar with other indie publishers, but I know how unprofessional Nicalis handled Cave Story and La Mulana. Both games I looked really forward to playing on my (European) Wii. I eventually lost interest and ended up buying them on the PC through Steam and Playism.
You should try the Wii version of La Mulana. Enjoy Up is a fantastic company that's great with interacting with fans/customers. They're a godsend for stuff like this.

Harpuia

Now I remember. I think they promised the world by saying they'd add new content and DLC to the Wiiware version, and never delivered upon it. When confronted by fans on their now-defunct support forums, they sidestepped and never really gave an answer. They ended up just adding in the hard mode, boss rush, and easy mode that just colors the protagonist a different color, which is why everyone was so irate on the forums.

Tenki

As a European, yeah, Nincalis fucking sucks. They handling The 90's Arcade Racer still gives me nightmares.

Man, they gave me vvvvvv and cave story on the 3ds, i cant hate on them, i just cant, and tyrone , in this very forum, said that cave story 3d is coming to the eshop in summer this year ...

Also nightsky on the 3ds, fantastic game.

Now I remember. I think they promised the world by saying they'd add new content and DLC to the Wiiware version, and never delivered upon it. When confronted by fans on their now-defunct support forums, they sidestepped and never really gave an answer. They ended up just adding in the hard mode, boss rush, and easy mode that just colors the protagonist a different color, which is why everyone was so irate on the forums.
Ah! Thanks for jogging my memory; I remembered that the Boss Rush was one of the fan-made mods reused in Cave Story + verbatim, apparently without appropriate credit given.

gngf123

Man, they gave me vvvvvv and cave story n the 3ds, i cant hate on them, i just cant, and tyrone , in this very forum, said that cave story 3d is coming to the eshop in summer this year ...

You can mostly thank Terry Cavanagh and Pixel for those. Nicalis did some good work to put them on those platforms, mind.

Also, I might be wrong on this but I'm pretty sure I remember reading that Pixel didn't really get much money at all from Cave Story +. That's not a comment against them at all, it's down to them and Pixel what contracts they come up with, but I always found that kind of disappointing.

Anyone have a comprehensive list of "indie" publishers? The only two I can think of is Nicalis and Devolver and they seem like the complete opposite sides of the spectrum with Devolver being on the Great side, and Nicalis being kind of shit overall.

I'm pretty much always looking forward to Devolver announcements, but Nicalis I just really trust so I keep my interest in check

Team-17(aka the Worms people) are a pretty decent publisher for indies afaik.

Blizzard

Banned
I feel kind of bad about supporting Strategy First. If I knew a specific game was being pushed on Steam by them when a developer did not want it pushed, I would avoid buying it.

But as it is, I feel like they have several rather unique adventure games that would not otherwise be on Steam, so hopefully I'm not hurting any developers by getting those.

duckroll

Yeah Strategy First is a fucked up scam publisher. I wasn't looking at possible criminal intent as a barometer though, just pondering if Nicalis is really one of the worst legit publishers of indie games actually trying to do a good job and just failing miserably.

The completely unnecessary 3d remake of Cave Story was such a huge waste of their time and resources. Why did they do that?
It was a good port of a good game on a download platform that lacked heavy hitters at the time. It was a solid investment that probably cost very little to make.

flowsnake

So BoI is going to come out on consoles in Europe in about 2 years then?

At least they can't screw up a Steam release...maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom