• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is RE 7 looking good?

Sesha

What the fuck does walking simulator even mean? Is that term referring to games like Outlast and Amnesia? Even if it does that doesn't make any sense.

Originally it meant games like Dear Esther, Proteus, and Bientot l'ete, where walking was literally the only thing you could do and there are no typical fail states. Then people started applying it to games like Gone Home and Antichamber, even though those had actual puzzles, tighter level design and exploration (although the puzzle elements in Gone Home are very light). Although they still lack typical fail states. Before long people started applying it to everything that's first person and exploration-heavy, regardless of the existence of other gameplay elements. Now it essentially doubles as a blanket term for first person games people don't like, even if said game prominently features combat, platforming, puzzles, stealth, is a point and click adventure game in 3D form, etc.

The marketing has been weak, between redundant footage, a largely unrepresentative demo, and a continuing focus on said demo in marketing despite supposedly not a part of the main game.

More things like the press blowout would be welcome.
I should mention that by "the demo", I mean the one that released at E3. Downloading the updated one now!

SomTervo

Looked pretty good as in day 1 buy for me until Denuvo reared it's ugly head in Capcom games. Now it looks like a $20 game.

Hopefully there's a solid chance they'll patch it out after a couple of months.

I wish developers would just be honest about that.

Neff

Think Newsbot said in the past that Jake doesn't actually have that strength, but done that way for a fun fight
which it was

News Bot was prone to asserting his own take on the RE universe at times, even if the games straight up contradicted it.

Jake totally had the strength to kick Ustanak's ass because I watched him do it.

You can look at threads like this one and clearly see Capcom divided the fans a long time ago. RE7 isn't looking all that special to me. It's less about the first person(even though it's the first person too)and more about setting/atmosphere for me. Gameplay isn't looking all that fun IMO.

We've locked down the release time of the demo. It'll go live worldwide, simultaneously according per the time table below:

−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−
UTC 12/19 00:00
PST 12/18 16:00 (Americas)
GMT 12/19 00:00 (Europe)
JST 12/19 09:00 (Japan)
HKT 12/19 08:00 (Asia)
−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−

Quick note on the graphics option. We had to disable borderless windowed mode at the last minute due to a bug the team has encountered. Rather than delaying the demo, we're just going to disable it. It'll still be in the final game -- just not the demo at this time.

Aside from that, there will be tons of PC-centric customization options in the demo that I hope will satisfy PC gamers.

A.w.e.s.o.m.e. thank you for that timeframe for the demo! Coming out earlier than I expected! Gonna play it with my dad to show him how far games have come since the Super Nintendo!

The recent Edge preview was very glowing. They anticipate it might not satisfy series puritans, but at the same time I'm confident PC mods will fix things like ribbons.

HF2014

Havent try it. The PC demo will make me move or not. I want the P.T. feel of weird, supernatural, scary jump, mix with RE element. I just dont want dumb puzzle. My hope are high, hoping i wont be dissapointed. Its the only game im ready to pull the trigger and buy it full price on steam.

RSB

Banned
Tanks can strafe too, so could you in a lot of games with tank control(see classic Tomb Raider). Strafing doesn't negate the tank controllness of the game. ;p
I've never heard tank controls used to describe any control system where strafing is possible, but ok. Also, I'm pretty sure you couldn't strafe in the classic Tomb Raider games (unless you are counting that side-step thing which was only useful to line up tricky jumps)

Sure there is. Play the game in VR and you completely change all of the above.
Well, I'm not gonna spend 400 bucks to maybe make the gameplay feel less shitty, especially when basically nothing about the game appeals to me at all. Besides, I seriously doubt VR is magically gonna make the gameplay any better. In fact, I'm pretty sure they made it so slow precisely because of VR (to avoid motion sickness)

I guess people will believe what they like then but the RE7 controls are fine, 100% definitely not unresponsive at all, at least not on PS4. I've not played the Xbox version, so can't comment on that version.
If it feels fine to you that's cool. I've played the demo on PS4 Pro and I can't stand how awful it feels.

I just can't buy/agree with the great previews after playing the demo twice. I don't think it's some conspiracy against me or some other tinfoil hat nonsense but I do think they want something else out of it or...I don't know what, I certainly don't see the appeal at all personally.

It feels and looks like Jump Scare Simulator '17 with vague Resident Evil-isms tossed in. I don't want to even bust out 'it's not Resident Evil because this is Resident Evil bla bla' but if it didn't have the title attached to it, I would've never even guessed in 10 tries that it's supposed to be Resi based on the demo and screenshots.

I can't stand 5 and 6, but I actually can't stand what I know and have played of 7 even more somehow...Yeah, I did want change but this is certainly not what will bring me back to the series at all.

PS: Combat looks shitty and weak.

News Bot was prone to asserting his own take on the RE universe at times, even if the games straight up contradicted it.

Jake totally had the strength to kick Ustanak's ass because I watched him do it.

Yet, we went to Birkins lab in 0 despite that being pretty much impossible.

Well, I'm not gonna spend 400 bucks to maybe make the gameplay feel less shitty, especially when basically nothing about the game appeals to me at all. Besides, I seriously doubt VR is magically gonna make the gameplay any better. In fact, I'm pretty sure they made it so slow precisely because of VR (to avoid motion sickness)

FWIW you can set your default movement speed, at least in VR, and aiming is done completely differently in VR, so it will definitely change the gameplay. By default you go slower in VR than you do playing it on a flat screen, but this can be changed.

Aiming is done via the headset and not the analogue stick, which allows for quicker and more precise aiming.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I'm fairly interested in this new direction, but I don't want to go in hyped or expecting much. I'm not in the first-person camera camp with this one as well. The series took a massive step back with that decision, in my opinion. Still want to play it and see how it is though.

Jawmuncher

I just can't buy/agree with the great previews after playing the demo twice. I don't think it's some conspiracy against me or some other tinfoil hat nonsense but I do think they want something else out of it or...I don't know what, I certainly don't see the appeal at all personally.

It feels and looks like Jump Scare Simulator '17 with vague Resident Evil-isms tossed in. I don't want to even bust out 'it's not Resident Evil because this is Resident Evil bla bla' but if it didn't have the title attached to it, I would've never even guessed in 10 tries that it's supposed to be Resi based on the demo and screenshots.

I can't stand 5 and 6, but I actually can't stand what I know and have played of 7 even more somehow...Yeah, I did want change but this is certainly not what will bring me back to the series at all.

PS: Combat looks shitty and weak.

I do agree about the look. I've said before if you showed just the game to someone, I don't think anyone would catch on that it was resident evil. The kitchen VR demo was proof enough of that. No one thought that what they were seeing was a new RE game.

Now that is a positive or negative depending on how you feel. I'm in the middle. I don't mind change, but it's still always something odd to get past. Since I feel like RE4-6 looked like resident evil even with their big shift.

But this just falls back on the whole "what is re to you". Which at this point is different things to different people, and if you ask me no one answer is right.

You don't have a series that has been around 20 years with as many changes as it's had, and come away with "it's only this end of story", it's just not possible.

Was it his lab though? I mean it could've just been a place that looked exactly like it. I mean there are building standards and such, so perhaps there was more than one area that looked the same.

TokiDoki

Different opinion here but it is looking to be very scripted which I am not really a fan of .

I guess things are going this way nowadays and will never be like the classic again which is REmake .

Moze

Banned
Is it structured like an old Resident Evil game? Like, is the mansion a puzzle that you are put in and have to solve? Locked doors, puzzles and other stuff?

Neff

Eh, could have been a duplicate building, it's not really a stretch.

Although you have a point about the games featuring non-canon elements, especially 1 and 2, since they have multiple scenarios with different story beats and outcomes.

Jawmuncher

Different opinion here but it is looking to be very scripted which I am not really a fan of .

I guess things are going this way nowadays and will never be like the classic again which is REmake .

The previews have mentioned that the stalker types are random in their hunts. There was a preview where baker in the house was entirely different for the other player.

Is it structured like an old Resident Evil game? Like, is the mansion a puzzle that you are put in and have to solve? Locked doors, puzzles and other stuff?

RE1 is the main influence. The previews have been big on it being a return to roots with a modern feel. So you have item management, low resources, puzzles and all that so yes to your question.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Looks good graphically and it promises to be like Resident Evil but there are things that even RE4/5/6 had that made it Resident Evil.
Even when RE4 came out eventhough it was different you wouldn't mistake it as anything else.
Same with the Light gun games
I can't say that for Resident Evil 7
It dont look,sound or play like Resident Evil
A lot of stuff that's in it that people say is like Resident Evil are also in other Horror games too that are nothing like Resident Evil
It's like Dino Crisis felt like Resident Evil with Dinosaurs but didn't actually share all those elements that people say is what Resident Evil is.
Silent Hill shares a lot of those elements but is completely different and has it's own identity
Something that translated even into the P.T demo.
And that's the problem, it's not solely because it's first-person or its bad....well the original demo was.
But because it doesn't have RE'S atmosphere, it's identity
It just feels like a different game series.
It's like Evil Dead 1981 Vs Evil Dead 2013
Or Ghostbusters 1984 vs Ghostbusters 2016
Or better Poltergeist..... Yeah Poltergeist
Still buying it.
But Resident Evil 2 Remake will open people's eyes to how different they are.

Quote me to oblivion telling me I'm wrong, but that's how I see it
I just hope it's not like those updated films

When people say it's not RE, what is missing that they can guarantee isn't in the game? If it's tone/mood, what is that tone and mood?

And I'd say that if it weren't for Leon in every screen, RE4 wouldn't be recognizable there. Yet, the game itself was a RE when played as it had most of the elements there, albeit in a different manner than the norm.

Looks good graphically and it promises to be like Resident Evil but there are things that even RE4/5/6 had that made it Resident Evil.
Even when RE4 came out eventhough it was different you wouldn't mistake it as anything else.
Same with the Light gun games
I can't say that for Resident Evil 7
It dont look,sound or play like Resident Evil
A lot of stuff that's in it that people say is like Resident Evil are also in other Horror games too that are nothing like Resident Evil
It's like Dino Crisis felt like Resident Evil with Dinosaurs but didn't actually share all those elements that people say is what Resident Evil is.
Silent Hill shares a lot of those elements but is completely different and has it's own identity
Something that translated even into the P.T demo.
And that's the problem, it's not solely because it's first-person or its bad....well the original demo was.
But because it doesn't have RE'S atmosphere, it's identity
It just feels like a different game series.
It's like Evil Dead 1981 Vs Evil Dead 2013
Or Ghostbusters 1984 vs Ghostbusters 2016
Or better Poltergeist..... Yeah Poltergeist
Still buying it.
But Resident Evil 2 Remake will open people's eyes to how different they are.

Quote me to oblivion telling me I'm wrong, but that's how I see it
I just hope it's not like those updated films

I don't think you're wrong, per se, I just don't think anyone would mistake this as a Resident Evil game in the full version based on what I've heard.

Resident Evil 6 to me, had strayed too far from what I like about the series. This feels much closer to what I enjoy about them than 6. So it's all a matter of what Resident Evil means to individuals.

I see so much that this has in common with REmake, for example, which is arguably the definitive fixed camera angle Resident Evil game. Even the Bakers seem like they could fit right into Resident Evil 4. The inventory system... the style of environment... the cheesy dialogue...

To me, this is Resident Evil through and through. But I get that such things are really open to interpretation because I can see all the things this doesn't have too, like how you aren't playing as a trained individual this time and how it isn't third person.

When people say it's not RE, what is missing that they can guarantee isn't in the game? If it's tone/mood, what is that tone and mood?

And I'd say that if it weren't for Leon in every screen, RE4 wouldn't be recognizable there. Yet, the game itself was a RE when played as it had most of the elements there, albeit in a different manner than the norm.

I mean when in RE4 I was chased by a giant robot within that castle filled with Zelda-mechanics ("kill all enemies so stairs ascend from lava"), I sure felt that classic RE tone...

Honestly Revelations 2 might be the only modern RE which felt like it had the "right" mood.

legacyzero

Banned
God yes. After the liquid shit that was RE6, I was sooo ready for something fresh. Enough with the over-the-top bullshit and bring back horror.

RSB

Banned
I do agree about the look. I've said before if you showed just the game to someone, I don't think anyone would catch on that it was resident evil. The kitchen VR demo was proof enough of that. No one thought that what they were seeing was a new RE game.

Now that is a positive or negative depending on how you feel. I'm in the middle. I don't mind change, but it's still always something odd to get past. Since I feel like RE4-6 looked like resident evil even with their big shift.
Yep, as I said before, the game doesn't seem like it happens in the same universe as all the other games in the franchise. It just looks too different. All the past games, no matter what style (classic, action, light gun, etc) always looked like they were part of the same universe.

It's very obvious with the characters. In past RE games they always had this sort of half western, half anime look. I don't know if it's because they are going for a more realistic look or what, but it's super jarring how different they look.

You think you could show someone from 2003 context-less pics of RE5 Africa, El Gigante or Monster Chris Redfield and he'd tell you that was RE?
The art style got progressively more realistic, but it always maintained that sort of western anime look. And yeah, I think if you showed some of the character models from RE4, 5 and 6 to a RE fan back in 2003 they could have recognized them without much effort.

RE7 has a completely different (and IMO way more boring) look compared to all the previous games.

Yep, as I said before, the game doesn't seem like it happens in the same universe as all the other games in the franchise. It just looks too different. All the past games, no matter what style (classic, action, light gun, etc) always looked like they were part of the same universe.

It's very obvious with the characters. In past RE games they always had this sort of half western, half anime look. I don't know if it's because they are going for a more realistic look or what, but it's super jarring how different they look.

You think you could show someone from 2003 context-less pics of RE5 Africa, El Gigante or Monster Chris Redfield and he'd tell you that was RE?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
resident-evil-remastered-2.jpg

resident-evil-5-screens-4.jpg

Surely u kid.

Edit: you edited it I see.

dlauv

Aside from the physical struggle, those don't seem similar at all. Art direction is completely different, wide open, less intimate with more enemies (holding weapons), and the rare case in horror games of when the player character is more physically imposing than the enemies he's fighting. And on top of that, he has back up coming to his aid that is loaded for bear, much less seemingly unarmed poor people.

carlsojo

The game looks great and preview impressions have all been fantastic.

I just need to pick up more hours so I can buy VR. :/

Jawmuncher

Wow this thread blew up. Got some reading to do

You can probably skip most of it lol. A lot of it is a debate.

-----

I mentioned in the other thread, but I do think a big issue when people talk about "feel" with RE7 is the change in graphics. They're going for a more realistic look compared to a lot of the other titles. So that alone makes it stick out.

All of the RE games kind of had this western Japanese look, which the comparison above to me shows. While RE7 is easily capcoms biggest shift from that style. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some western influence with the look since the game does actually mode actors now. Rather than needing to be made like the older games.

From RE7

Man, that enemy looks nothing like a zombie

We don't even know if all the stuff from that highlight reel will make it into the game. I recall it was said that zombies weren't in. Though that could be a case of lying about what's in the game.

I always wait and not buy day 1. Unless there is some pre-order thing you want. It will more than likely drop in price and if it sucks it is more likely. It looks alright from everything ive seen. Looks kinda slow but thats what they are going for.

Guess that could go either way back then.

No way.
There's one major difference though. When someone in RE7 gets to an item box, solves some statue puzzle for the shotgun, wastes ammo on pseudo-regenerators or needs three bear heads to open the next door, there will inevitably be the point someone would think ,,this plays kinda like RE" even without context.
Now 5 and 6 look or sound absolutely nothing like RE other than characters (parts of 4 are questionable too), but no one would ever guess that some El Gigante turret section, underground laser city with weird African caricatures or some wrestler-lookalike punching rocks would ever belong to RE1-CVX. Not in a million years.

dlauv

I feel like the biggest difference between RE7 and prior entries from an aesthetic standpoint (besides the camera perspective) is that the sense of grime and decay is more prevalent than any other attempt to do so. In prior entries, decay wasn't at the forefront of the artistic design; it was always a matter of looking closer into the scene and specifically the texturework that these things became apparent because most of it was rather orderly, whether due to geometric symmetry, prevailing industrial locations, or gaudy or exotic setpieces, suggesting money and craftsmanship. And possibly because a lot of these events befell the settings rather suddenly and the art design reflected that.

What we've seen of RE7 takes place in a really mundane shithole that has been for at least a couple of years.

Ironically, RE7 still looks Japanese to me artistically. Maybe it's the P.T. hallway, maybe it's the balance of interactive objects with non interactive, maybe it's goofy paintings, maybe it's the crow in the microwave, maybe it's the mannequins. It definitely feels Japanese in animation and character design. And the way the context sensitive prompts are designed, like when he shoos away the unrealistic roaches from his arm. It's just not something we'd see in too many western games because it doesn't scream "convincing enough." Jack himself isn't frightening to look at by any western metric. I genuinely like that kind of stuff, but I feel that I like it for the wrong reasons entirely. I'm hoping the writing subverts that; I heard Jack
taunts the player. "You runnin' from an old man???"
Stuff like that is super promising.

Sayad

The RE7 demo is a walking simulator?

I've officially lost sight of what is and isn't a walking simulator.
First two iteration of the demo had no combat what so ever and third one had literally one encounter. Not to mention a large section of the demo is just your character walking around watching events unfold without any chance of influencing anything. Yea, most of the demo is a walking simulator.

I have unintentionally avoided almost everything around this game. The marketing and general hype seem nowhere near where things were at for say Res 5, and we all know Capcom has been having a hard time lately, so I sort of assumed it was going to be underwhelming.

But... then I read some of the previews. Previews can be overly positive in tone, but straight up proclaiming it's looking like a 10/10 from 4 hours of gameplay? Damn, that's sounding good.

So yeah, now I feel like it's going to deliver big time and really exceed most people's hype levels!

Sayad

The previews have mentioned that the stalker types are random in their hunts. There was a preview where baker in the house was entirely different for the other player.
https://youtu.be/PscFx-u9Rac?t=2m27s
https://youtu.be/PscFx-u9Rac?t=6m54s < start of the scripted part is cut here
https://youtu.be/PscFx-u9Rac?t=9m47s

Those encounters are as scripted as the Family Guy appearing behind you after picking up the phone from the demo, just from the few minutes of previews released by Capcom. And this is excluding suspect scripted events where I'm not sure how scripted they are. Cheap jump scares without any input from the player, might as well be cut-scenes. I can see where people concerned about it being too scripted are coming from.

Maedre

Banned
As someone who loved the old Slow paced RE games and disliked RE4-6, RE 7 looks like a proper reinvention of the RE franchise. I will wait for reviews and my buy a PSVR for this.

PantsuJo

That's not a simple question to answer. It depends on who you are asking.

To some people it looks amazing while to others it doesn't look that hot. I'm mostly leaning toward the latter group. And in case anyone is wondering, I've been an RE fan since RE3 and have played every main entry (except RE2) and a lot of spin-off/side entries.

I've enjoy most of my time with the series, but this one just doesn't seem to be for me. I'm super excited about a possible Rev 3 and REmake 2, though.
Same here, I have no hype for this one.

gelf

On this "It doesn't look like a Resident Evil game" thing. I'd argue that at the time neither would RE4 if it wasn't for the obvious figure of Leon being on screen at all times. If they had gone with a new protagonist, with how the areas, enemies and combat look in 4 I'd have never have guessed it was Resi.

Nemesis_

My only TRUE concern is that there's not much to the game (although I am sure thats just a story choice to not show anything rather than a "we dont have any content" thing)

and

that the puzzles will be fucking stupid-as-fuck shit like the hand in the demo

GrayChild

Going through this thread reminds me of some of the feedback targeted towards RE4 a few months before its release. Thanks to whoever did this:

sNEQDdI.png

It's almost nostalgic going through the same thing once again.

Jawmuncher

Going through this thread reminds me of some of the feedback targeted towards RE4 a few months before its release. Thanks to whoever did this:

sNEQDdI.png

It's almost nostalgic going through the same thing once again.

All those people had the right to be worried. As loved as RE4 is, it's still seen as the "death" of RE for some fans due to its radical shift. Changes can be good to shake things up and keep things fresh. But I don't expect everyone to just be on board and be ok with it. People want different things out of this series now.

Top Bottom