• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is RE 7 looking good?

me0wish

The first demo plus the first trailer blew me away, I haven't been this hyped about a game in a very long while. My biggest concern about the game that it has "Resident Evil" in it's title, I'm really worried about it being extra cheesy and filled with fan service.

Zakalwe

Banned
The demo did absolutely nothing for me but I'm glad they're mixing it up. Old school RE just doesn't translate to the mainline games, and the action orientated stuff was getting bloated.

ngrXAIb.gif

Not quite sold on it. Like I mentioned before, looks great on paper, as in the written articles about the previews but so far the gameplay vids have been really underwhelming. The E3 trailer is stellar dou.

That said my main gripe is the first person aspect. The tunnel vision scares are really not that interesting to me and not being able to soak in all the atmosphere from a big picture perspective will be disappointing. But my biggest issue is the baker/nemesis enemies being ZERO intimidating. You need to have an intimidating foe to have a scary game in the first place but the previews have mentioned interesting monsters which gives me hope.The bakers are said to be recurring right?....idk hopefully the family evolves and becomes more regenerator levels of scary.

Cubed

Personally, as a big fan of the series since I played the original way back in April of 1996, I think it looks fantastic.

It gives me the holy trinity of what I want in an RE game, gameplay-wise:
1. Moody, creepy atmosphere / exploration
2. Puzzles
3. Resource management

I'm indifferent to the first-person view. My only reservation comes from the seemingly lack of tie-in to the series' lore... but I'm giving Capcom the benefit of the doubt and hoping it ties in very well. If the game does fit nicely into the RE timeline and mythos, it may end up being in my top 3 in the franchise (which, if you're curious, would be RE4, REmake, and RE3 right now).

Elios83

Based on what I've seen/played this will be a masterpiece in the horror genre.
It is a bold move though, they'll lose fans in the action genre and the game will have less mainstream appeal but personally I don't care if the game truly delivers on the promise to be the high quality sequel that the mainline series deserves and I've been waiting for since RE4.

As a classic RE fan I'm not sold yet. All the previews mention all the classic RE gameplay elements but its still not what we fell in love with all those years ago. More than willing to give it a chance however. This is one of those, make me a fan things. On paper it sounds great, but I also don't like FPS games very much, especially FPS horror so -shrug-

Sayad

Dude you realize you just linked to several videos that are cut from the same broll footage that Capcom handed out right? So far no one has recorded footage of the actual game, only videos that are cut up portions of the broll from Capcom's press event. AND, those are basically cutscenes. The game doesn't have 3rd person cutscenes.
Umm... I mentioned those are all released by Capcom in the post you quoted!! The press run into those same exact events though and you can hear them talk about it in almost every preview! So not sure what them being broll changes!

Same thing about the cutscenes remark, is that supposed to make them not scripted event?! You walk to point X, Jack attacks you from behind and start the fight in the garage, Marguerite appear at the top of the stairs for a cheap jump scare, throw you down then start a chase! That those event's start with cutscenes only expose them more as scripted events!

Simple answer: the demo is a standalone, tiny, proof-of-concept for the full game. It is not indicative of the final experience.

The press are playing larger, more open and complete hours of the actual full game, and say it is fantastic.

Basically, you haven't seen anything yet, arguably.

That doesn't compute with me as a consumer if that's the case. Show me a game that plays differently than the final product and expect me to buy that said final product based on it?

I'm not disagreeing with you that that may be the disconnect here, just find it incredibly stupid and based on the godawful demo, I'm not buying the game. I feel the same aversion to the press' opinions about this as when Rolling Stone writes about some washed-up band 'going back to its roots' especially since I've played a demo indeed called Resident Evil 7 that sucked massively. Apparently Capcom thinks it SHOULD be strong enough to convince me to buy the game?

Personally, as a big fan of the series since I played the original way back in April of 1996, I think it looks fantastic.

It gives me the holy trinity of what I want in an RE game, gameplay-wise:
1. Moody, creepy atmosphere / exploration
2. Puzzles
3. Resource management

I'm indifferent to the first-person view. My only reservation comes from the seemingly lack of tie-in to the series' lore... but I'm giving Capcom the benefit of the doubt and hoping it ties in very well. If the game does fit nicely into the RE timeline and mythos, it may end up being in my top 3 in the franchise (which, if you're curious, would be RE4, REmake, and RE3 right now).

The true Top 3.

Anyway, I think the game is going to tie in a bit heavily into Revelations at least. Too many visual and placement coincidences.

Literally just thought to myself that they should return to the Silent Hill franchise with this approach.

Then I remembered PT.

Jeez.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Umm... I mentioned those are all released by Capcom in the post you quoted!! The press run into those same exact events though and you can hear them talk about it in almost every preview! So not sure what them being broll changes!

Same thing about the cutscenes remark, is that supposed to make them not scripted event?! You walk to point X, Jack attacks you from behind and start the fight in the garage, Marguerite appear at the top of the stairs for a cheap jump scare, throw you down then start a chase! That those event's start with cutscenes only expose them more as scripted events!
That's not how the fight in the garage starts. He doesn't teleport behind you the fight is already started. They're boss fight segments. Just like the nemesis or Mr. X fights. That doesn't discount that there's still some dynamism and randomness to their roaming AI.

Why is there an issue with boss fights having script to them? It's been that way for every RE game, so an odd thing to take issue with in its 9th mainline entry. And as the above states, the fight starts in a different manner.

There will be some scripted events to start some fights, but the majority of Baker encounters are not scripted outside of dialogue and actions they take in certain rooms. Jack isn't always going to come down the hall and look through that window right then. He could just walk down. He may not come from that direction. He may not even be present. However, if he's actively pursuing you and you pass that wall with him on the other side, he'll smash it down. If he's after you in the kitchen, he'll smash the table and say his cheesy line.

Dusk covered most of what I was going to say, this is just RE4 all over again. Same comments on how this is not RE. People not wanting to give it a chance because it looks different. I love that RE tries different things to not become stale. It was time for a new style and so far it's looking good. I normall hate first person so I get the complaints but what they are trying to do with VR should be commended.

As for the game itself, it looks like combat, inventory management and exploration will be the focus of the gameplay which means it will be like the old games. They have shown boss battles, they showed some cool scripted sequences. This is not going to be some boring horror game where some thing slowly stalks you the whole way, this looks to be RE.

I bet the further we get the tougher the enemies get and the better the arsenal gets. By the end I fully expect there to be a giant monster with huge claws chasing you while you grab a rocket launcher to kill it before the self destruct sequence ends. Don't worry, it's going to be the game we want.

Edit: Can you imagine if there are some hunters in this game and they actually HUNT you through the house... in VR. Instant heart attack.

Ralemont

not me
Question for those of you following this closely: do you think it'd be worth holding off playing this game until PSVR drops in price? I wanted it to try and experience it fresh as my first PSVR game, but that also depends on how the VR is integrated and how necessary one would consider it to get the best experience. Is the general feeling that this game will be best played in VR or normally?

Question for those of you following this closely: do you think it'd be worth holding off playing this game until PSVR drops in price? I wanted it to try and experience it fresh as my first PSVR game, but that also depends on how the VR is integrated and how necessary one would consider it to get the best experience. Is the general feeling that this game will be best played in VR or normally?

While the impressions have been favorable, details are scarce. It certainly isn't necessary, but it may enhance certain aspects when it comes to fear and immersion.

rtcn63

A good RE is infinitely replayable. Play it normally, then VR when you get the chance.

lazyguy

Okay the Japanese commercial has gotten me really excited for the game.
I was wasn't really excited or paying attention to the game but that trailer really did it for me.

Sayad

That's not how the fight in the garage starts. He doesn't teleport behind you the fight is already started. They're boss fight segments. Just like the nemesis or Mr. X fights. That doesn't discount that there's still some dynamism and randomness to their roaming AI.
I never discounted that, just said that people worried about there being many scripted encounter have every right to do so from what we've seen so far.

Jawmuncher

I've said before my biggest worry is just how capcom handles all the fans it's created with all their different styles. Some want the classic style exactly, some want action, some want horror.

I want those other experiences, and I want them of quality too. I don't think any horror fans would have been thrilled if the game for them was Umbrella Corps quality for example.

So RE7 being what it is, is cool. But I hope that capcom knows that not everyone wants that. Just like even after the act not everyone wanted RE4.

I wish I could be at capcom and know what the ideas for upcoming RE games would be. I'd be so at ease knowing what styles they have planned in the future.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
I was excited for the new direction. First person horror games basically don't exist except for like stealth-a-thons which are a snoozefest to me and badly made indie games. Getting the itch scratched from PT was great because that oozed atmosphere.

My actual impressions are only from the demo but it was awesome and tense until you see who you are actually up against just stroll on by. Total buzzkill at that point. Hopefully the real game gives you some interesting enemy designs.

Also, their first person gunplay is not good. Not even from a "well, you don't know how to shoot or hold a gun" aspect. I mean the really early 2000's single dot on the screen and awkward extended arm holding it.

TreIII

I wish I could be at capcom and know what the ideas for upcoming RE games would be. I'd be so at ease knowing what styles they have planned in the future.

Yeah, this is me.

I've long since come to the conclusion that RE7 likely isn't going to be worth my time, as the more I see, the more I don't see anything to capture my interest.

I can understand not wanting to undercut RE7's sales potential, but it would be nice to see how RE2make is doing. Or if maybe those who really want something akin to "Mercenaries Anniversary Turbo Remix" will get our wish granted, and give us another dosage of a "RE Heroes" game.

kc44135

Dusk covered most of what I was going to say, this is just RE4 all over again. Same comments on how this is not RE. People not wanting to give it a chance because it looks different. I love that RE tries different things to not become stale. It was time for a new style and so far it's looking good. I normall hate first person so I get the complaints but what they are trying to do with VR should be commended.

As for the game itself, it looks like combat, inventory management and exploration will be the focus of the gameplay which means it will be like the old games. They have shown boss battles, they showed some cool scripted sequences. This is not going to be some boring horror game where some thing slowly stalks you the whole way, this looks to be RE.

I bet the further we get the tougher the enemies get and the better the arsenal gets. By the end I fully expect there to be a giant monster with huge claws chasing you while you grab a rocket launcher to kill it before the self destruct sequence ends. Don't worry, it's going to be the game we want.

Edit: Can you imagine if there are some hunters in this game and they actually HUNT you through the house... in VR. Instant heart attack.

What you just described is my ideal RE7. If we start out being stalked by the Baker's, but then get better weapons and start being able to confidently take them on, plus fight RE-esque creatures like Hunters, that would be amazing. I'm mainly uneasy about the idea of being stalked by essentially unkillable enemies for like 20+ hours, for a variety of reasons. Even if that is the case, though, I'll probably still enjoy it, because I admittedly do love everything else about the game.

kc44135

I was excited for the new direction. First person horror games basically don't exist except for like stealth-a-thons which are a snoozefest to me and badly made indie games. Getting the itch scratched from PT was great because that oozed atmosphere.

My actual impressions are only from the demo but it was awesome and tense until you see who you are actually up against just stroll on by. Total buzzkill at that point. Hopefully the real game gives you some interesting enemy designs.

Also, their first person gunplay is not good. Not even from a "well, you don't know how to shoot or hold a gun" aspect. I mean the really early 2000's single dot on the screen and awkward extended arm holding it.

The dot is only for when you aim down the sights. There's an setting in the options menu for an actual cross hair to appear at all times (except when aiming down the sights). I found the aiming to be better/ easier once I discovered this.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm mainly uneasy about the idea of being stalked by essentially unkillable enemies for like 20+ hours, for a variety of reasons.

I don't think the Bakers are DRM Scorpions from Serious Sam that are attacking you non stop for hours on end. I mean the previews have told us, you can lose them by breaking line of sight. And you can put them down for a few minutes until they respawn in the far distance.

kc44135

I don't think the Bakers are DRM Scorpions from Serious Sam that are attacking you non stop for hours on end. I mean the previews have told us, you can lose them by breaking line of sight. And you can put them down for a few minutes until they respawn in the far distance.

Woah, you can put them down for several minutes at a time? What previews said this? That one clip Capcom put out showed Jack getting up like two seconds after Ethan shot him. What you're describing would actually be a pretty cool interpretation of classic RE fight or flight mechanics, where you can avoid them if it's easy to do so, but you can also expend some resources to get them off your back if need be. I'd actually be OK with the game working like this.

I was impressed with the vignetting and the door opening animations. They're really taking advantage of the first-person perspective and giving a more claustrophobic feel.

What you just described is my ideal RE7. If we start out being stalked by the Baker's, but then get better weapons and start being able to confidently take them on, plus fight RE-esque creatures like Hunters, that would be amazing. I'm mainly uneasy about the idea of being stalked by essentially unkillable enemies for like 20+ hours, for a variety of reasons. Even if that is the case, though, I'll probably still enjoy it, because I admittedly do love everything else about the game.

If that is the majority of the game I would be pissed too.

I have similar worries too, but the previews mentioned there being killable monsters.

My concern is they would make the monsters killable but it will require 90% of your inventory, which seems to be too much on the "stalking for 20 hours" side of horror games.

I feel like REmake and RE4 struck a balance were we had enough ammo to clear the common enemies, but that would mean no ammo for the tough ones, or vice versa. I don't want it to be one-side ala RE6 or the plethora of stalking horror games.

Arkanius

I am completely sold on the PC version. It's smooth, good looking and the game feels like a return to the roots despite trying something new.

kc44135

Yeah, I mean, even it's handled well, it would get kinda old, wouldn't it? Especially considering how long the game apparently is. I want variety, and some cool/creepy monsters to fight in my RE games, y'know? I do know that we've only seen a single chapter out of eight, so hopefully things get switched up in later portions of the game.

kc44135

I have similar worries too, but the previews mentioned there being killable monsters.

My concern is they would make the monsters killable but it will require 90% of your inventory, which seems to be too much on the "stalking for 20 hours" side of horror games.

I feel like REmake and RE4 struck a balance were we had enough ammo to clear the common enemies, but that would mean no ammo for the tough ones, or vice versa. I don't want it to be one-side ala RE6 or the plethora of stalking horror games.

Well, I do know that with the "Molded" specifically, they are supposedly much easier to kill in the main game than the demo, and you can apparently put the Baker's out of commission for awhile if you stop to fight them. The videos Capcom put out made this seem pointless since they'd get up right away, but you can seemingly put them down for much longer as well, perhaps with stronger weapons? Not sure on that point. Also, a GAF member I talked to (who is also a journalist) said they can be "reset" by going to a save room, so the Bakers might not be as much of a pain as I initially thought. I'm still not overly keen on that being the majority of the game though, so hopefully it isn't, or at least is mixed up to a considerable degree with encounters against normal enemy types and bosses.

Quoting from another RE7 thread on a GMG discount

Heads-up jn regards to earlier discussion of cheap keys... GMG are offering an additional 10% off on top of their "VIP" prices (18% discount). Store page says Capcom are their source for keys on this title. Enter the voucher code "WINTER10" during checkout.

Can anybody guess what the Season Pass in the Deluxe Edition will entail? I'd only want to get it if it has significant playable content down the road, and even then I can't imagine $30 of worthwhile DLC coming out...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Quoting from another RE7 thread on a GMG discount

Can anybody guess what the Season Pass in the Deluxe Edition will entail? I'd only want to get it if it has significant playable content down the road, and even then I can't imagine $30 of worthwhile DLC coming out...

The Deluxe Edition/DLC includes three pieces of DLC, all will be released after the main game All we know about it is:

DLC 1 includes four short stories (I imagine these being mini playable chapters like the VHS sequences in the main game).

DLC 2 is an additional campaign thing (probably a separate campaign from the main game starring some other character during the events of RE7).

DLC 3 is an additional campaign thing.

We don't have the full specifics but all of them are additional gameplay scenario/story stuff that will be released after the launch of the game. My take is that it'll probably be similar to Lost in Nightmares/Desperate Escape from RE5, but longer and more fleshed out as they're charging more for it. I'm guessing it has its own story, locations, and maybe even new enemies, but we won't know until we know.

The Deluxe Edition/DLC includes three pieces of DLC, all will be released after the main game All we know about it is:

DLC 1 includes four short stories (I imagine these being mini playable chapters like the VHS sequences in the main game).

DLC 2 is an additional campaign thing (probably a separate campaign from the main game starring some other character during the events of RE7).

DLC 3 is an additional campaign thing.

We don't have the full specifics but all of them are additional gameplay scenario/story stuff that will be released after the launch of the game. My take is that it'll probably be similar to Lost in Nightmares/Desperate Escape from RE5, but longer and more fleshed out as they're charging more for it. I'm guessing it has its own story, locations, and maybe even new enemies, but we won't know until we know.

Thanks I'm gonna go ahead and take the plunge with the Deluxe then

They better not suck

... I need to get PSVR for this game...

Sigh I hope I don't need to upgrade to Pro!

I'm so damn tempted to get PSVR for this, but then I'd have to get a Pro as well. It'll be too expensive! : (

I think playing the full game in VR might be an Ocarina of Time type moment. I envy anyone playing it like that! It's gonna be special.

Top Bottom