• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is RE 7 looking good?

Sesha

We have been waiting a long time for a sequel to one two and three. Seems it may never happen

There were like eight games in that style, though, including one which is a sequel to RE2 and came out and takes place after 3. An internally developed numbered direct follow up to 1, 2 and 3, however? That we didn't get, no.

kc44135

I think the general consensus is that the game is looking very good, based on the recent press previews. Fan reception still seems mixed on the new direction (although let's be honest, it was always going to be regardless of 7's direction). My an feelings are still quite all over the place as well, and I'm hoping that will change when I play the full game. I like that we're getting actual save rooms and item boxes again, I like that we'll have actual open-ended exploration and backtracking in RE again, and I really like that we're getting a healthy dose of puzzles in 7.

I dislike that we're seemingly going to spend the vast majority of the game fleeing/hiding from the Baker's whom we can't actually kill. I think that this could potentially be very frustrating and repetitive, and it's a pretty dramatic departure from previous entries in the series (including the classics) where you were always able to fight back and take down your attackers, you just had to be smart about it. This could be a make it or break it aspect of the game for me, although the impressions from those who have played the full game suggest it's been handled well, so I guess we'll see.

kc44135

There were like eight games in that style, though, including one which is a sequel to RE2 and came out and takes place after 3. An internally developed numbered direct follow up to 1, 2 and 3, however? That we didn't get, no.

Eight games? We're talking about the classics only, right? RE1, 2, 3, CVX, and 0... which three am I missing?

SomTervo

Resident Evil is deader than Dead Rising.

No. Way. In. Hell.

You'd be right if RE7 was just a continuation of RE5 and 6, but it's not.

I just can't buy/agree with the great previews after playing the demo twice.

Simple answer: the demo is a standalone, tiny, proof-of-concept for the full game. It is not indicative of the final experience.

The press are playing larger, more open and complete hours of the actual full game, and say it is fantastic.

Basically, you haven't seen anything yet, arguably.

Different opinion here but it is looking to be very scripted which I am not really a fan of .

That just isn't right at all. If anything this looks far less scripted than 4, 5 or 6.

What is the deal with people about this game? It's like people are intentionally ignoring what the demo was like blended with what all the previews have said.

GrayChild

All those people had the right to be worried. As loved as RE4 is, it's still seen as the "death" of RE for some fans due to its radical shift. Changes can be good to shake things up and keep things fresh. But I don't expect everyone to just be on board and be ok with it. People want different things out of this series now.

I agree that not everyone will be happy with the direction taken by the series. However, people are still comparing this game to P.T., Outlast and Amnesia while this is far from the truth. Even the very first demo, while not having actual enemies to fight had an unlockable and fully usable axe which showed that the final game will have combat.

In addition, all previews until now are extremely positive and on multiple occasions mention that this game is basically RE1-3/Code Veronica, but simply in first person. The basic principles of the first games (puzzle solving, combat, exploration, item management etc.) are completely intact.

I understand that some people cannot accept the first person view, while others prefer the more action based approach of 4-6 and that is perfectly OK. However, claiming that this is not a Resident Evil game and that 7 is a walking simulator or hide and seek game after everything CAPCOM has shown us until now has gotten completely absurd.

GrayChild

And also, where the HELL is RE2MAKE???

I reckon they will start showing more about that after RE7 is released. Don't quote me on that, but I think I remember Kawata saying that they should focus all their marketing efforts on 7 and I agree that a new RE2make trailer or screenshots would steal the attention from it.

Cc was ok, as was 0 but they still weren't main or the proper sequels to the main games.

I'm not sure if seven is made as is because of vr or not.

I reckon they will start showing more about that after RE7 is released. Don't quote me on that, but I think I remember Kawata saying that they should focus all their marketing efforts on 7 and I agree that a new RE2make trailer or screenshots would steal the attention from it.

Also wasn't it only greenlight just over a year ago, assuming that the producer-guy tweeting about pitching a design document wasn't a publicity stunt?

I hope so. My hype for a 2 remake far exceeds whatever RE7 is.

For Posterity:

1. RE2
2. RE4
3. RE1/Remake
4. RE3
5. RE0
6. CV
7. RE5
8. RE6

Only way to play this is in VR, The sense of presence the demo gave was the best yet on offer. I'm hoping it is the killer app PSVR needs as it seems fitting that it is RE that will do it.

Resident Evil in VR........ if someone said that 20 years ago playing the original i would have said yes please, And here we are.

I love the direction it has gone, 5&6 were just typical shooters.

kc44135

I agree that not everyone will be happy with the direction taken by the series. However, people are still comparing this game to P.T., Outlast and Amnesia while this is far from the truth. Even the very first demo, while not having actual enemies to fight had an unlockable and fully usable axe which showed that the final game will have combat.

In addition, all previews until now are extremely positive and on multiple occasions mention that this game is basically RE1-3/Code Veronica, but simply in first person. The basic principles of the first games (puzzle solving, combat, exploration, item management etc.) are completely intact.

I understand that some people cannot accept the first person view, while others prefer the more action based approach of 4-6 and that is perfectly OK. However, claiming that this is not a Resident Evil game and that 7 is a walking simulator or hide and seek game after everything CAPCOM has shown us until now has gotten completely absurd.

Erm, have you read through the previews? Running/hiding from the Baker's is a huge focus in this game. Yes, there are enemies we can kill, but those encounters are very few and far between (only a single encounter with the Molded in five hours of play). The rest of the time you have to flee from the Baker's whom you can't actually kill. Outlast and Amnesia aren't great comparisons, true, but this definitely doesn't sound like classic RE in first-person to me. It sounds more like Haunting Ground or Clock Tower to me.

gelf

All those people had the right to be worried. As loved as RE4 is, it's still seen as the "death" of RE for some fans due to its radical shift. Changes can be good to shake things up and keep things fresh. But I don't expect everyone to just be on board and be ok with it. People want different things out of this series now.
That's fine. People do have the right to not like a change in direction. It's just hypocritical from those who at the same time don't accept that the same applied to RE4.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
https://youtu.be/PscFx-u9Rac?t=2m27s
https://youtu.be/PscFx-u9Rac?t=6m54s < start of the scripted part is cut here
https://youtu.be/PscFx-u9Rac?t=9m47s

Those encounters are as scripted as the Family Guy appearing behind you after picking up the phone from the demo, just from the few minutes of previews released by Capcom. And this is excluding suspect scripted events where I'm not sure how scripted they are. Cheap jump scares without any input from the player, might as well be cut-scenes. I can see where people concerned about it being too scripted are coming from.
Dude you realize you just linked to several videos that are cut from the same broll footage that Capcom handed out right? So far no one has recorded footage of the actual game, only videos that are cut up portions of the broll from Capcom's press event. AND, those are basically cutscenes. The game doesn't have 3rd person cutscenes.

resident-evil-remastered-2.jpg

resident-evil-5-screens-4.jpg

Surely u kid.

Edit: you edited it I see.

The environments in RE7 look much more like the ones in REmake than the ones in RE5 do.

Erm, have you read through the previews? Running/hiding from the Baker's is a huge focus in this game. Yes, there are enemies we can kill, but those encounters are very few and far between (only a single encounter with the Molded in five hours of play). The rest of the time you have to flee from the Baker's whom you can't actually kill. Outlast and Amnesia aren't great comparisons, true, but this definitely doesn't sound like classic RE in first-person to me. It sounds more like Haunting Ground or Clock Tower to me.

The focus or balance may be different, but Mr X and Nemesis were both things you couldn't kill in most of the encounters. Fleeing from enemies has always been a big part of this franchise for many people, even if you *could* kill them. I ran from many a crimson head.

Eight games? We're talking about the classics only, right? RE1, 2, 3, CVX, and 0... which three am I missing?

Well you've missed REmake there, which doesn't get us to eight, but which is a pretty major one to overlook!

RE 7 looks dope! Been a big fan since I was 8, I played RE 1, 3, CV, 4, Outbreak 1/2, RE 4(goat), RE Remake (Goat) and I actually enjoyed RE 5 but never even bothered with RE 6. But I'm so excited for RE 7, can't believe how many people are complaining about this game, its coming back to its roots and I won't knock that. Day one.

Even with the remake coming out, and presuming it isn't just a typo, you should still play Resident Evil 2. It's a fantastic game.

GrayChild

Avoiding enemies is a staple of the franchise. Most of the older titles do not give you enough ammo to dispose of every single enemy you stumble upon, especially on higher difficulties. Also, we already had stalker-like creatures like Lisa Trevor, Mr. X and Nemesis who served the exact same purpose.
The previews also mentioned that you can stun Jack and Marguerite if you have enough ammo, but they won't stay dead. Once again just like REmake and 3.

Avoiding enemies is a staple of the franchise. Most of the older titles do not give you enough ammo to dispose of every single enemy you stumble upon, especially on higher difficulties. Also, we already had stalker-like creatures like Lisa Trevor, Mr. X and Nemesis who served the exact same purpose.
The previews also mentioned that you can stun Jack and Marguerite if you have enough ammo, but they won't stay dead. Once again just like REmake and 3.

Good call. I somehow forgot about Lisa, and I consider that whole story line probably the best writing in the series (low bar, sure) and the best thing they added to REmake.

kc44135

That's fine. People do have the right to not like a change in direction. It's just hypocritical from those who at the same time don't accept that the same applied to RE4.

Well, I personally feel the same does apply to both RE4 and 7. They are both equally major shake-ups for the series. RE4 focused on action at the expense of other elements of the classic formula, and was a dramatic departure in play mechanics and design from the classics that encouraged killing everything that moved. In contrast, RE7 removes your ability to confidently fight what appear to be the game's main antagonists, the Baker's, and forces you to run from them. Both of these approaches stand in stark contrast to the classic games which actually fell somewhere in between. You could kill the majority of enemies in those games, as well as run from them. Those games were all about making the choice between fight or flight based on the current situation you were in, as opposed to 4 or 7 which push you to one extreme or the other. Ultimately, both games are a drastic departure from the old-school formula of the classic RE's.

Yeah dude I was going to fire up my ps3 and give it a go but when I heard about the Remake 2 I thought maybe not. I will take you advice.

If they approach it the same way they approached REmake, it'll have plenty of surprises for people intimately familiar with the original, and it'll mess with your expectations of what *should* happen. REmake in my opinion, is *best* enjoyed after playing the original. You can obviously enjoy it either way, but since you've played both, I think you get what I mean.

kc44135

All three of those "stalkers" have one thing in common though, they're scripted. When Nemesis or Lisa shows up, it's always at a specific point, and in a specific area. They aren't randomized, and neither Lisa or MR. X have the ability to follow you from room to room. Nemesis can do this, but he's still VERY limited in where he can actually follow you. Also, none of these creatures are the focus of their respective games. Even Nemesis himself only shows up a handful of times, with the rest of the game being spent facing off with more standard RE fare.

The Baker's, by contrast, are clearly the focus of 7, and based off the previews, the majority of the time will be spent with them as opposed to any other enemy types. They are also randomized. I'm aware that you can stun them, but it's pointless as they will be back up and after you in seconds, unless this clip isn't accurate (https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL...has_verified=1&layout=tablet&client=mv-google). I don't mean to point this out so as to say I think 7 will be bad, but rather that it's not truly a classic RE in first-person, but rather it's own thing. Classic RE gave you the choice of fight or flight, whilst 7 removes this choice and forces flight outside of specific boss encounters.

1. RE1
2. RE2
3. RE3
4. RECV/CVX
5. REOutbreak
6. RE OutbreakFile2
7. REmake
8. RE0

There was Deadly Silence as well, but that really is just a port of 1 with the FPS additions.

And also, where the HELL is RE2MAKE???

I'm already awaiting to complaints when it turns out to be one style and people want it a different way. Ithe should follow REmakes example, but it could easily go the RE4 route.

That's just Ch.3 for what we know (and maybe Ch.2, which is much shorter) in a 4-5 hour preview. Game has 5 more chapters to open things up. There's also likely more than the one pack of Moulded encounter, as there's a lot that the press still aren't able to talk about (including some gameplay feature). The third building has bee and spider enemies that you encounter often it seems, though we haven't seen the combative elements of those outside of Marguerite's use of them.

You can also temporarily put a Baker down as we saw in the micro vids leading up to Tape 3. May only be for a very short time, but it seems they are easily avoided after breaking line of sight. Doesn't seem nearly as persistent as X or Nemesis was, which was kill or GTFO as your options. But fighting is an option in a way.

kc44135

The environments in RE7 look much more like the ones in REmake than the ones in RE5 do.

The focus or balance may be different, but Mr X and Nemesis were both things you couldn't kill in most of the encounters. Fleeing from enemies has always been a big part of this franchise for many people, even if you *could* kill them. I ran from many a crimson head.

Oh, I did too, haha. I'm just saying that the classics gave you a choice most of the time. If I ran from something in those games, it was because I didn't have enough ammo, or didn't want to waste it, not because I couldn't kill that enemy. Enemies like Nemesis weren't a focus for the majority of the game. Also, you *could kill MR X and Nemmy in every single encounter. They even gave you items if you managed to take them down, it was just very challenging to do so.

kc44135

1. RE1
2. RE2
3. RE3
4. RECV/CVX
5. REOutbreak
6. RE OutbreakFile2
7. REmake
8. RE0

There was Deadly Silence as well, but that really is just a port of 1 with the FPS additions.

I'm already awaiting to complaints when it turns out to be one style and people want it a different way. Ithe should follow REmakes example, but it could easily go the RE4 route.

That's just Ch.3 for what we know (and maybe Ch.2, which is much shorter) in a 4-5 hour preview. Game has 5 more chapters to open things up. There's also likely more than the one pack of Moulded encounter, as there's a lot that the press still aren't able to talk about (including some gameplay feature). The third building has bee and spider enemies that you encounter often it seems, though we haven't seen the combative elements of those outside of Marguerite's use of them.

You can also temporarily put a Baker down as we saw in the micro vids leading up to Tape 3. May only be for a very short time, but it seems they are easily avoided after breaking line of sight. Doesn't seem nearly as persistent as X or Nemesis was, which was kill or GTFO as your options. But fighting is an option in a way.

Ah, OK, Outbreak 1 and 2, and REmake as it's own thing. Poor Outbreak, forgotten by everybody, including Capcom it seems. They really need a remaster. Anyway, back on topic, I know there's other chapters, but do you really think they'll change up the core gameplay that much? I'd love for that to be the case, but I'm kinda doubtful of that. I think it's more likely we'll just have different enemies stalking us, but I guess we just gotta wait and see. Regardless, RE7 could still be great, and I'm still looking forward to it either way, even if I'm not completely sold on every aspect of the game.

**high five**

I've been following this ever since the release, keeping up with Dusks remarks, and combing over videos myself and I just can't wait for this. In typical Capcom fashion, I believe there is a ton of stuff they are not showing. I'd even guess the Bakers, while a focal point, might even take a back seat when you get further into the game. Imagine if the Bakers are only a part of the equation of the whole story. Time till tell, but I'm super excited. I even just did an analysis of Tape 3 on youtube and pointed put a few things I noticed that some might have just skimmed over.

JNT

I think it looks great. I really like that Capcom has reinvented the game series a few times over the course of its lifetime.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't mind that as long as it was closer to 4 than 5 and lightyears away from 6.

RSB

Banned
I was gonna say "No way. Capcom wouldn't be that dumb" but then I remembered what they're doing with RE7...

RE7 looks to just be copying other games. Capcom always screws up when doing that.
Yep. At least with the last major shake up of the RE formula they were bold and went for something completely new (no other game played like RE4 back then) RE7 looks derivative AF in comparison.

Problem is, now what? In that argument, anything RE7 would do would be derivative AF. Have elements of the classic games? Derivative AF. Stay over the shoulder? Derivative AF. Be an RTS? Derivative AF. Everything has been done on a surface level approach, and it would take a new push in tech that afforded new opportunities like when RE4 was developed to break that. Currently, that push is happening in the VR space, and that's what is being tackled here (despite VR coming later into the picture).

I don't see how a different perspective makes a game derivative.
Because, since Amnesia, everyone has been doing first person horror. Of course, they can change the perspective to first person and still make the game feel very different from all the other first person horror games out there, but seeing what they've shown and said about the game, that doesn't seem to be the case.

And now that you mention it, if they had gone for the classic RE formula, it would technically be derivative, but it would at least feel somewhat "fresh" if only for the fact that pretty much nobody is doing that style of game anymore. Hell, you could even say the same about action RE (a formula which, apart from RE, nobody else is really using)

And yeah, I know Capcom wants to capitalize on the novelty of VR, but that doesn't change my opinion on the matter. The last big shift in the franchise was bold and new (RE4) this new shift feels boring and derivative (AF)

I've been following this ever since the release, keeping up with Dusks remarks, and combing over videos myself and I just can't wait for this. In typical Capcom fashion, I believe there is a ton of stuff they are not showing. I'd even guess the Bakers, while a focal point, might even take a back seat when you get further into the game. Imagine if the Bakers are only a part of the equation of the whole story. Time till tell, but I'm super excited. I even just did an analysis of Tape 3 on youtube and pointed put a few things I noticed that some might have just skimmed over.

For me I actually ignored the game until a few weeks ago and wrote it off. It being in first person was a huge turn off. But after the really positive impressions and me finally downloading the demo I'm now quite excited for it.

The little videos Capcom have been releasing showing stuff like item boxes, how you heal and the way health is displayed on a watch have all been great too. A lot of little things like that are brimming with that old school Resident Evil charm!

I'll be honest, I wouldn't mind that as long as it was closer to 4 than 5 and lightyears away from 6.

Same here. The balance and level design would be the chief challenge in that route.

I was gonna say "No way. Capcom wouldn't be that dumb" but then I remembered what they're doing with RE7...

Yep. At least with the last major shake up of the RE formula they were bold and went for something completely new (no other game played like RE4 back then) RE7 looks derivative AF in comparison.

Problem is, now what? In that argument, anything RE7 would do would be derivative AF. Have elements of the classic games? Derivative AF. Stay over the shoulder? Derivative AF. Be an RTS? Derivative AF. Everything has been done on a surface level approach, and it would take a new push in tech that afforded new opportunities like when RE4 was developed to break that. Currently, that push is happening in the VR space, and that's what is being tackled here (despite VR coming later into the picture).

I don't see how a different perspective makes a game derivative.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
To answer the OP's question - yes, yes it is.

Nope. You're wrong. This game is so going to surprise a lot of people. I just know it. It's a total sleeper hit!

I hope it's more than a sleep hit. It's certainly been noticeable this game hasn't had the same hype build-up as RE5 or RE6, which I guess is appropriate as the hype is about on the same level as RE4... I really don't think RE7 is going to be a game that's overtly similar to RE4 as it has a different focus, but the situation RE7 is in happens to reflect SO closely on RE4, it's almost ridiculous. It's almost like a carbon copy scenario of history repeating itself. RE4 had a lot of people skeptic, previews came in that were glowing, but everyone was just all uppity about it not being RE, ripping off of games from the time ("It's got the camera from Splinter Cell," "Texas Chainsaw rip-off (lol)", trying to cash in on the success of Halo," all things that were said, and more.), and many others didn't follow it closely since the RE series had been middling for a while (though in RE4's case it was that no main entries had released for a while, the series had been Gamecube exclusive mostly, and 'mediocre' spin-offs (despite the fact Outbreak has gone on to become a cult classic and REmake one of the best regarded entries in the series, but at the time people were tired of RE's formula), and then it released and we all know what happened.

RE7 is not RE4-2, the games are quite different, but the reason I've been so vocal of my enthusiasm for the title is I do fully believe it has the potential to be something great. I've believed that for a while, and as more news has come out for the game that belief has continually solidified. I think a lot of people who seem so focused on trying to say what RE7 is and isn't will be surprised when they play it. There's a lot of misinformation due to people's preconceptions about elements of RE7 and the change in style, if there's anything gamers on forums seem to be the worst at gauging, it's the qualities of something when it has a drastic mainline shift. But part of what has kept RE alive all these years where so many other horror games have failed is the series ability to adapt and shift, the series has managed to reinvent the horror genre not once, but twice in its history. I'm not sure RE7 will be able to accomplish that, but it's due to the series ability to change when its needed that has kept it afloat all this time.

But more so I believe that RE7 will be something special. I've actually believed that since the Lantern gameplay trailer more fully. I think part of it is because I play so many horror games, more than most. A lot of people saw that footage and thought it looked like any hide'n'sneak horror game, but that's not what I saw at all. As someone who's played a lot of horror games, including first-person and hide'n'sneak games, I knew immediately that RE7 wasn't what people thought it was, and that's kind of when I decided to be more vocal on my enthusiasm of the title since I do believe RE7 has the potential to be something special (though I never judge actual quality until I've sat down and beaten a game), and many may not see that until it's released (especially if Capcom is taking the secretive route, and I want to talk to people about RE7 before then anyway).

I still have a hard time fully expressing it, I could give a long detailed post of why I think it's very different and have thought this for a while (it's a mixture of elements), but I do think it's going to be a fun ride to see how the release of RE7 goes down with everyone.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That is true, but there's nothing wrong with the level design in RE7
It's everything else that's the problem.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
What's a bit funny about this game is that the demo and everything else Capcom showed so far make it seem a bit too much like PT or Outlast but many things of what they said make it seem it's not at all. Kinda weird marketing.

RSB

Banned
Well, at least one thing is clear, Capcom are amazing at dividing the fanbase.

If RE7 is succesful, the 12 year old debate of classic RE vs action RE is about to turn into classic RE vs action RE vs first person RE. Three way battle, yay!

RE action fans will tell you revelations was a good game or that 6 was brilliant because of mercenaries and the slidey thing you could do.

Basically there is 0 credibility left.

RE7 represents a modern take on the classic formula which has a lot of potential to reunite the fanbase again while the remaining current action fans slink away into the night.

Which isn't to say Capcom will not completely fuck it up by having you pilot drones to shoot clowns while protecting a talking dolphin in a hedge maze. But we'll see what happens.
If it was really as black and white as you think, it would really simple, wouldn't it? Reality is quite a bit more complex than that, though. There are fans that only like the classic style, fans that only like the action style, and fans that like both. And among those groups there are people who are interested in the new style introduced by RE7, and people who don't like it at all (and everything in between)

For example, I love both classic and action RE, and I couldn't be less interested in RE7 (and I definitely don't consider it a modern take to the classic formula, not even remotely) And BTW, I also think the Revelations games are completely mediocre (yeah, it may blow your mind, but not all the action fans like them)

Also, I seriously doubt RE6 is the last we see of action RE (after all, the past two games in that style have sold over 15 million copies) As much as it may disappoint you, the action RE fans are not slinking away into the night any time soon (and how could they, after the great example set by the classic RE fans and how stoically they have endured these past 12 years?)

Well, at least one thing is clear, Capcom are amazing at dividing the fanbase.

If RE7 is succesful, the 12 year old debate of classic RE vs action RE is about to turn into classic RE vs action RE vs first person RE. Three way battle, yay!

RE action fans will tell you revelations was a good game or that 6 was brilliant because of mercenaries and the slidey thing you could do.

Basically there is 0 credibility left.

RE7 represents a modern take on the classic formula which has a lot of potential to reunite the fanbase again while the remaining current action fans slink away into the night.

Which isn't to say Capcom will not completely fuck it up by having you pilot drones to shoot clowns while protecting a talking dolphin in a hedge maze. But we'll see what happens.

Top Bottom