• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Silent Hills a multiplatform title?

I think Fox Engine running like garbage on XB1 and PT being exclusive are both because KojiPro (or whatever the fuck they are now) aren't putting much effort into the platform in general.

It's an afterthought.

Well it does account for much less sales, pribably just there to make a quick buck.

synce

The game is like 3 years away, but come on you really think they're using Fox Engine to make a PS4 exclusive?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I think that if Sony were paying for exclusivity, a la Street Fighter, then they'd have been sure to announce that it was PS4 exclusive at the time. I'm assuming they're not paying for it. If it's exclusive, it's because that makes financial sense from Konami's point of view.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well, I think a few things about this type of game. First, I don't know that it makes sense for Konami to fund a big budget Silent Hill without first party support. Silent Hill is basically dead and the sales of the last few games were dismal. On the other hand, given the dismal sales, it's hard to imagine a first party would want to pay to support this. I therefore doubt this is exclusive.

I can't wait to match my post to the 108 Stars of Destiny? It's fate Psycho.

1. New Suikoden game in the works now. This one is very far off though as it's a recent thing as far as I know. I'd think 2016 is the earliest we start hearing stuff about it.

2. Superman is looking to make his triumphant return to video games, in a non-fighting game this time.

3. New Virtua Fighter game to come.

4. Good news for some PC MGS fans, there are plans from the top to bring the HD collection to PC. Not that anyone isn't expecting that, I'm sure.

5. On the back of that, FFXII HD on current gen is basically confirmed at this point. As is one of the older Dragon Quest titles in HD (I've genuinely forgot which number though since it's been a while). In addition to that, there is a spin-off Final Fantasy title planned for consoles. Not big budget. Not FFX or FF7 in case people take it there. Not a traditional RPG either.

6. For you, thou shall bring a Xenosaga HD collection. I'm also looking forward to this as I've never played them. Took a whole lotta tryin' just to get up that hill. Now we're up in the big leagues, gettin' our turn at bat. As long as we live, it's you and me, baby.

7. You will start to hear about digital revivals of some old IPs in the next one to two years. Playstation and otherwise.

8. Another unnamed IP which is coming to Playstation exclusively from Sega should hopefully be announced next year. It's had teething issues which seems to be making it take longer than I thought, as have most other projects on current gen to be fair from the looks of it, but I'm happy to mention it again because it looks like we might finally get an announcement next year. I'm hoping at least. This one's not a fighting game.

9. Third Person IP which is big budget is coming and it's set in the Indian subcontinent. Mentioning this because I feel it's quite notable something big is going this route. I don't think I've ever seen a big title in this kind of setting. I find it very surprising, but also very exciting. Western developed.

10. Japanese new IP which is set in...Japan. Third person action adventure title with monsters and machines. Might have RPG elements, not too sure on that unfortunately. Futurisitic setting. Playstation exclusive.

Now for more something which is what you would say is a tease but actually makes perfect sense:

11. A new game which will be a pretty big deal, I'm sure.

12. An old game, which will be somewhat of a big deal I guess.

We should have news on all of the above over the coming 2 years I'd think. There's one or two "twists" here and there where one may not like what happens, but it's all true. I honestly think this is going to be an amazing generation.

What is all of this? Rumors? Virtual Fighter 6? I would love to see that, but I doubt it. Well, maybe the VF5 upgrade is a sign of things to come?

I think that if Sony were paying for exclusivity, a la Street Fighter, then they'd have been sure to announce that it was PS4 exclusive at the time. I'm assuming they're not paying for it. If it's exclusive, it's because that makes financial sense from Konami's point of view.
Sony went out of their way to avoid formally announcing the game at all. Though wasn't even Yoshida taken by surprise? Or am I misremembering that. That'd imply that there's no deal, at the least.

I don't think the announcement gives us anything to go on beyond the obvious fact that the game is at least in development for ps4.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I think a few things about this type of game. First, I don't know that it makes sense for Konami to fund a big budget Silent Hill without first party support. Silent Hill is basically dead and the sales of the last few games were dismal. On the other hand, given the dismal sales, it's hard to imagine a first party would want to pay to support this. I therefore doubt this is exclusive.

Well, one could also argue that this is a beloved IP for many people, and Sony could come in and finance the game so it could be made in the first place, all #4TheGamers or something.

It could go both ways, really. We won't really know, I guess. But I'm leaning towards Silent Hills being exclusive.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well, one could also argue that this is a beloved IP for many people, and Sony could come in and finance the game so it could be made in the first place, all #4TheGamers or something.

It could go both ways, really. We won't really know, I guess. But I'm leaning towards Silent Hills being exclusive.

Does this release before or after Shenmue 3 in your scenario?

prwxv3

I hope it is multiplatform unless the game could not have been made without platform holder support.

Personally i have doubts konami greenlit this big-budget project without outside help.

Personally it's impossible to say. It certainly could be exclusive but it would be completely based on some sort of agreement between Konami and a platform holder.

I hope publishers are listening though: Next time you make an exclusivity agreement just claim that you couldn't have made the game otherwise and everybody will give you a pass.

It totally fits the "Struggling Japanese 3rd party doesnt willing to fund a game without 1th party support" trend we are seeing from Capcom and Sega.

ryan0991

Banned
FFXII HD would be amazing, hopefully they smartly release it on PS4/PS3/PC.

Uncompressed, lossless English audio (No low sample rate/low bit rate crap. I'm sure the sources exist) and re-done music with a proper budget (meaning the entire soundtrack done with a live orchestra) AND an option to use the original music if wanted. Some ACTUAL Anti-Aliasing and 16xAF would be great too. (FFX HD, as much as improved the textures are, detail dies off quickly at angles due to lack of AF)

This is one of the first things I thought of. The voices sound pretty awful in FFXII. They'd better fix that if this HD release is real.

9. Third Person IP which is big budget is coming and it's set in the Indian subcontinent. Mentioning this because I feel it's quite notable something big is going this route. I don't think I've ever seen a big title in this kind of setting. I find it very surprising, but also very exciting. Western developed.

Interesting that you used the word 'subcontinent' and not just India. Maybe that Assassin's Creed game set in the subcontinent is now a possibility?

David___

Banned
10. Japanese new IP which is set in...Japan. Third person action adventure title with monsters and machines. Might have RPG elements, not too sure on that unfortunately. Futurisitic setting. Playstation exclusive.

You had me at Japanese IP with giant monsters and machines.

Edit: Is it early in development or is it okay to get excited about it now?

1. New Suikoden game in the works now. This one is very far off though as it's a recent thing as far as I know. I'd think 2016 is the earliest we start hearing stuff about it.
O__________________________________________________________________O

After Silent Hills, a new Suikoden isn't all that surprising anymore, if only because of Kojima.

I've long felt that Kojima was a fan of Suikoden or something, because the base-building mechanic from Peace Walker (now coming in TPP) always felt like something he adapted off of Suikoden's base/team building mechanic, but with random NPCs instead of 108 unique NPCs.

At a functional level, there's already a basis for a next-gen Suikoden in MGSV TPP, with its base-building mechanic, and the open-world design. If Konami can adapt that foundation onto a next-gen Suikoden...

After Silent Hills, a new Suikoden isn't all that surprising anymore, if only because of Kojima.

I've long felt that Kojima was a fan of Suikoden or something, because the base-building mechanic from Peace Walker (now coming in TPP) always felt like something he adapted off of Suikoden's base/team building mechanic, but with random NPCs instead of 108 unique NPCs.

At a functional level, there's already a basis for a next-gen Suikoden in MGSV TPP, with its base-building mechanic, and the open-world design. If Konami can adapt that foundation onto a next-gen Suikoden...

I can't decide if a Kojima made Suikoden would be amazing or not, but with his name behind it at least it would get mainstream press behind it, since they seem to only care about big names

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
5. On the back of that, FFXII HD on current gen is basically confirmed at this point. As is one of the older Dragon Quest titles in HD (I've genuinely forgot which number though since it's been a while). In addition to that, there is a spin-off Final Fantasy title planned for consoles. Not big budget. Not FFX or FF7 in case people take it there. Not a traditional RPG either.

You have my attention :D that said... not an RPG or not a traditional rpg? I don't get it :D Also what you mean with "no big budget"? Is LR:FFXIII big budget as a comparison?

If that FF spin-off is what I think it is then it's definitely aimed at the JP market.

So... FFT? Or a new Dissidia?

Well luckily the main offender of that is now on mobile stuff.

Is Toriyama confirmed the director of MEVIUS? Bad news for me if so :(

doemaaan

*Remembers when FFX HD was announced and when was it actually released...*
(2+ years)
Nope, please give me XV sooner ;_;

Damn.... I completely forgot about that. FF12 is the ONLY HD remaster of a game I've already played, that I'd buy again. Hope it comes out next year ~_~;

You have my attention :D that said... not an RPG or not a traditional rpg? I don't get it :D Also what you mean with "no big budget"? Is LR:FFXIII big budget as a comparison?

So... FFT? Or a new Dissidia?

Is Toriyama confirmed the director of MEVIUS? Bad news for me if so :(

Dissidia....I remember the guy saying he wanted to make another one.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Dissidia....I remember the guy saying he wanted to make another one.

I'm already dreaming about playing with Ace, Machina, Lightning XIII-2/LR, Serah, Noel, Caius, Noctis T.T and with Ps4 graphics nonethless!

MAKE IT REAL!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
What is all of this? Rumors? Virtual Fighter 6? I would love to see that, but I doubt it. Well, maybe the VF5 upgrade is a sign of things to come?
what makes this so hard to believe? sega has continued to support VF and it has consistently sold well.

Arsenic13

Since this is a Silent Hills thread, wouldn't it be nice if the series shared the same accessibility that Metal Gear Solid has? Currently Silent Hill Homecoming is the only game officially available on PC, and even then it's sold for $40 on Steam.

Konami working with GoG or something and re-releasing the existing PC ports of Silent Hill 2-4 would be a very smart idea, PSN as well.

There's a whole lot of hype for Silent Hills, so they could bank on that hype by making the older games accessible again. I wouldn't mind a new HD Collection either giving us SH4, Origins, and Shattered Memories in HD. A Silent Hill Downpour PC port would be nice a well, with maybe Climax porting it like they have for Castlevania.

The Silent Hill series needs some love outside of the upcoming game. Why not prepare fans the older titles having more accessibility?

Since this is a Silent Hills thread, wouldn't it be nice if the series shared the same accessibility that Metal Gear Solid has? Currently Silent Hill Homecoming is the only game officially available on PC, and even then it's sold for $40 on Steam.

Konami working with GoG or something and re-releasing the existing PC ports of Silent Hill 2-4 would be a very smart idea, PSN as well.

There's a whole lot of hype for Silent Hills, so they could bank on that hype by making the older games accessible again. I wouldn't mind a new HD Collection either giving us SH4, Origins, and Shattered Memories in HD. A Silent Hill Downpour PC port would be nice a well, with maybe Climax porting it like they have for Castlevania.

The Silent Hill series needs some love outside of the upcoming game. Why not prepare fans the older titles having more accessibility?
We have been clamoring for SH2-4 PC downloads for years... Here's hoping they'll finally remove their heads from the sand and deliver.

I have 2 & 3 anyways but still, I want them in that permanent Steam vault for forever access.

Edit: then again, those assholes released the HD collection so who knows what the hell a release would actually look like. Le sigh...

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
4. Good news for some PC MGS fans, there are plans from the top to bring the HD collection to PC. Not that anyone isn't expecting that, I'm sure.

cRAqh.gif
cRAqh.gif
cRAqh.gif

Arsenic13

We have been clamoring for SH2-4 PC downloads for years... Here's hoping they'll finally remove their heads from the sand and deliver.

I have 2 & 3 anyways but still, I want them in that permanent Steam vault for forever access.

Edit: then again, those assholes released the HD collection so who knows what the hell a release would actually look like. Le sigh...

While rereleases (PSN, GoG) would be preferred, the HD Collections due new players just fine. We have attachments to the old voice acting and such, if they were to build off of the PS3 build + patch, the games would be perfectly serviceable.

RPGCrazied

6. For you, thou shall bring a Xenosaga HD collection. I'm also looking forward to this as I've never played them. Took a whole lotta tryin' just to get up that hill. Now we're up in the big leagues, gettin' our turn at bat. As long as we live, it's you and me, baby.

I'm having a hard time believing all this. Specially a new Suikoden. Xenosaga HD collection was talked about by some director guy at Namco recently on twitter, saying we'd need 10's of thousands to sign a petition, when all we was able to drum up was like 4 or 5k. Do you work in the industry or something? Has your rumors come true before? Now the FF XII HD is probably true, but that was inevitable.

Never forget Verendus said we would get a FFVII Remake and that stupidness happened instead at Playstation Experience, but he did say Yakuza 5 would happen soooo

A-V-B

I"m willing to bet it's PS4 exclusive.

Yeah, right! The teaser was, but the whole game is gonna be on the PC. Kojima's totally pulling it that direction, and Japan in general is taking a bit more interest in the PC as well. Silent Hills will be there.

2. Superman is looking to make his triumphant return to video games, in a non-fighting game this time.

3. New Virtua Fighter game to come.

7. You will start to hear about digital revivals of some old IPs in the next one to two years. Playstation and otherwise.

8. Another unnamed IP which is coming to Playstation exclusively from Sega should hopefully be announced next year. It's had teething issues which seems to be making it take longer than I thought, as have most other projects on current gen to be fair from the looks of it, but I'm happy to mention it again because it looks like we might finally get an announcement next year. I'm hoping at least. This one's not a fighting game.

Now for more something which is what you would say is a tease but actually makes perfect sense:

We should have news on all of the above over the coming 2 years I'd think. There's one or two "twists" here and there where one may not like what happens, but it's all true. I honestly think this is going to be an amazing generation.

I wonder if any of these were dragons dogma

F4r0_Atak

12. CRASH???

5. I could easily see FFXII HD being brought to PS4 and for the Dragon Quest, I wonder if it will be DQVIII (PS3 in Japan, PS4 rest of the world).

8. Seems Sega and maybe SCE are having issues with licensing of certain soundtracks. I guess some kind of HD remake of an old SEGA IP (Shenmue?) before the official reveal of Shenmue 3 (or spiritual sequel).

9. Sounds like Beyond Good and Evil 2.

10. A new Japanese IP... interesting. If it is Playstation exclusive, is it being developed in-house by one of their studios or by a third party (Capcom, Square, etc).

11. So something set between 1900s and 1930s, Mafia 3 officially reveal and in production... maybe??

12. Coming home... wash away all the pain of yesterday... I know my kingdoms awaits, they have forgiven my mistakes. At first, I thought about Crash. But could be something that left Playstation and came back? (Let see Crash, Spyro, Dino Crisis, Dragon Quest, etc.)

Top Bottom