• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there any album released in the last 20 years that will be as revered as thriller

Status
Not open for further replies.

CD'S BAR

Blasphemy! Speed demon is great, leave me alone is weird and I love it, the way you make me feel is probably one of MJ's most under appreciated tracks.
Dude lets be honest some of those songs on Thriller are completely forgettable, Human nature is a snore fest, I'd forgotten about PYT till now and baby be mine is meh, apart from beat, thriller and billie jean it's a completely average record, those three tracks were so fucking good they made that record iconic.

Lol Human Nature is the most refined track on the entire album. The only dud is the one with Mccartney.

It took way too long for 21 by Adele to be posted. Currently it's sitting at 30 million albums worldwide, and this is in the age of no one buying music anymore. The diamond certification was thought to be completely dead.

The songs were huge and also went against the majority of electro-pop/hip hop being played on the radio at the time. A piano ballad went to number one.

I'm sure if that album was released in a time where consumers bought music, it would have easily doubled it's numbers. It wouldn't overtake Thriller, but people are going to look back at the end of the decade and realize what a huge album it was. Remember, reviews were pretty lukewarm to Thriller when it first came out and then years later publications back pedaled. This is largely because music critics have no idea what they are talking about.

I'm not really an Adele fan or anything, but 21 had so much success because it was really good and fresh.

Erv

Some very surprising choices in this topic. I'm sure a lot of people are joking. Some I'm not so sure of

gogosox82

No album will ever have that kind of cultural significance again just because music is made and consumed so differently than it was when Thriller came out so it would be impossible for any album made now to be that important to pop culture.

bionic77

No album will ever have that kind of cultural significance again just because music is made and consumed so differently than it was when Thriller came out so it would be impossible for any album made now to be that important to pop culture.
Music is not very culturally significant any more.

Rock stars used to be as big as movie stars in the 70s and 80s.

Kim Kardashian is probably more famous than any current rock or pop star.

Not sure if it ever swings back in the other direction. We have so many entertainment options now. And it increases every year.

Smashing_Pumpkins_-_Mellon_Collie_And_The_Infinite_Sadness.jpg

No Thriller, but the closest I could think of.

WolfeTone

Smashing_Pumpkins_-_Mellon_Collie_And_The_Infinite_Sadness.jpg

No Thriller, but the closest I could think of.

This was released 21 years ago. Also, I think if you were to ask 100 random people in the street if they could name 1 song off this album, you'd be lucky if 10 could. Alternatively, give them the album title and ask them who the artist/band is and again only about 10 could. Smashing Pumpkins did not have mainstream appeal.

hokahey

This was released 21 years ago. Also, I think if you were to ask 100 random people in the street if they could name 1 song off this album, you'd be lucky if 10 could. Alternatively, give them the album title and ask them who the artist/band is and again only about 10 could. Smashing Pumpkins did not have mainstream appeal.

That album was everywhere, and everyone knew the band at the time. So very untrue. But anywhere close to Thriller? No.

The only album to come close is Nevermind, which was 25 years ago.

WolfeTone

That album was everywhere, and everyone knew the band at the time. So very untrue. But anywhere close to Thriller? No.

The only album to come close is Nevermind, which was 25 years ago.

At the time maybe, but today? I doubt many people could name the frontman. Everyone knew who Michael Jackson was, at the time and today. Likewise people still know who Kurt Cobain is and could likely tell you his wife's name too.

Edit: I'll concede the album may have been everywhere at the time.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
lol no. Thriller is world culture. nothing in this thread has reached that, minus the beatles but even then. no.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I don't think so. Music is so different now. I have answers that are correct for ME, but Thriller is ubiquitous and STILL beloved.

Taylor Swift -1989
Katy PerryTeenage Dream
Fergie - The Duchess

Nah, "Shake it Off" doesn't even have a decent bridge. Time won't abide that.

The other two, nobody talks about.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
These days you can find musc that suits your very specific/childish taste. Musicians don't need to be and can't be generalists the way MJ was.

Fisty

Radiohead - In Rainbows

Not necessarily just the music, but the way this album was released and how popular it was as a viral thing. You really had to be there at the time to experience it, but it really felt like everything was going to be different in the industry (and it was)

Fucking great album to, easily Radioheads best imo. One of the most technically provocative bands goes back to the garage. I always skip Videotape though.

Radiohead - In Rainbows

Not necessarily just the music, but the way this album was released and how popular it was as a viral thing. You really had to be there at the time to experience it, but it really felt like everything was going to be different in the industry (and it was)

Fucking great album to, easily Radioheads best imo. One of the most technically provocative bands goes back to the garage. I always skip Videotape though.

I love In Rainbows, but was already thinking 'er, nah' vis the topic title (although personally Thriller, eh, whateves), but this made me turn from 'nah' to BLASPHEMY!

Sadsic

Panda Bear - Person Pitch
Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
Radiohead - OK Computer
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
Burial - Kindred
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
The Field - From Here We Go Sublime
Clark - Body Riddle
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...
The Avalanches - Since I Left You
The Books - The Lemon of Pink

and many other things i dont remember off the top of my head

Kid Ying

1371199458_2Pac-All-Eyez-on-me-2cd-1996-cover.jpg

Ctrl + F '2Pac' and 'Tupac' no results found. It's ok thread, I ain't mad at cha'.
That's 21 years ago. Although i agree with you. Both this and Biggie ready to die were huge back in the day, are still played today and solidified genres that existed but weren't as big at the time (Tupac with the gangsta rap and Biggie with the riches rap).

In fact, Tupac really ascended as a myth with time and is still reverentiated. All eyes was his biggest album so it shows it Did something right.

In those twenty years, i think the only record who did this was Adele 21. Everyone and their mom listened it. It was everywhere and sold a lot. It wasn't as influencing on media though.

dracula_x

Radiohead - OK Computer
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Burial - Kindred
Clark - Body Riddle

Pretty good list.

This is like those threads about which gaming franchise is the most influential and people are going "my favourite obscure JRPG"

And to the question...I got nothing.

I can't think of anything close but my top pick would have to be OK Computer. Like it's been said times have changed, there isn't going to be another phenomenon like Thriller.

kavanf1

Nothing listed ITT comes close to being as universally revered as Thriller. It's highly unlikely anything ever will again, due to the way the consumption of music has changed.

Blasphemy! Speed demon is great, leave me alone is weird and I love it, the way you make me feel is probably one of MJ's most under appreciated tracks.
Dude lets be honest some of those songs on Thriller are completely forgettable, Human nature is a snore fest, I'd forgotten about PYT till now and baby be mine is meh, apart from beat, thriller and billie jean it's a completely average record, those three tracks were so fucking good they made that record iconic.

Jesus Christ, my gast is flabbered. Please be trolling. Blasphemy indeed.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The only person in a position to do that now IMO is Beyoncé. The stan in me wants to say self titled is the closest modern day equivalent but it doesn't have the wider impact.

The only person in a position to do that now IMO is Beyoncé. The stan in me wants to say self titled is the closest modern day equivalent but it doesn't have the wider impact.

Not my thing, but I sort of agree. From an international/global standpoint it's someone like Beyonce or Mariah. A lot of albums listed in this thread are very US/Euro-centric. MJ was able to penetrate GLOBAL markets, not just US radio. People aren't singing Arcade Fire songs in karaoke bars in Thailand.

entremet

This is like those threads about which gaming franchise is the most influential and people are going "my favourite obscure JRPG"

And to the question...I got nothing.
Yep lol.

Some of these picks are downright bizarre.

But I'm an old fart and remember Thriller's rise. Everyone had that record.

vern

Probably Sisqos Unleash the Dragon. Closest thing we've come to thriller since. He should have been a GOAT but that beef with Usher messed him up bad.

faridmon

I would have said Grandprix by Teenage fanclub but thats over 20 years ago.

Taylor Swift -1989
Katy PerryTeenage Dream
Fergie - The Duchess

All three had at least five very hit songs. Hell Katy Perry even tied Micheal Jackson with that album for #1 songs. I also think that it's not his album that is iconic, but the "Thriller" song being attached to it. "Beat It" and "Billie Jean" are good too, but people mainly love "Thriller". Similar to Adele's "Hello".

Edit: Also to those saying MBDTF, that may be Kanye's best album ever (I agree), however I don't think anyone outside his fan base knows about it or agree with you. Something akin to Thrillers has to be in the cultural zeitgeist.

All of these music you posted are rubbish and frankly an insult to Thriller.

I don't think an album can grab the attention of TV and radio in the way that Thriller did and even if it could,those mediums don't have nearly the same reach these days. The internet can feel like it's reaching everyone, but it really doesn't, people use it to hear what they want.

Servbot24

Banned
Radiohead - OK Computer
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Burial - Kindred
Clark - Body Riddle

Why do indie flavor of the year albums compare to Thriller

smudge

No.
There will always be good albums, but nothing will ever come close to Thriller.
There is so much music around these days too, compared to 80s. Pretty much all the music listed in this thread is not universally liked, whereas Thriller is.

Biff

Lolololol. The misplaced confidence of this drive-by 'one and done' post makes it that much better.

Thriller quite literally united the world, musically speaking. That's the criteria we should consider when thinking about albums as revered as Thriller. Nirvana united angsty Gen X'ers.

I honestly can't think of one artist that has achieved that impossible task today or in the last 20 years. Hell, the last to do it before MJ was probably The Beatles.

Taylor Swift is a good answer, but her music is just so biased towards girls younger than 25.

Katy Perry is another good answer, but again she's just far too pop-oriented.

Michael Jackson had children dancing, adults, dancing, grandparents not complaining about that damn c-rap music, men, women, black, white, and everyone in between.

Truly a phenomenon.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
nope. i can't think of any albums that come close to that. thriller is just on whole other level to everything else. rip mj.

kavanf1

Radiohead is more than "indie flavour of the month", but yeah most of that list is insignificant.

I'd say OK Computer is the last album that Radiohead fans universally united on as being great. 1997 they genuinely felt like the biggest band in the world. Everything from Kid A onwards split their audience in a huge way. Even at their peak though, they never had anywhere close to the impact that MJ had.

I mean, there hasn't been a pop musician on the level of MJ since... MJ.

The Marshall Mathers LP is the closest I can think of. But, no.

mnannola

There will never be another album as universally loved as Thriller again.

This is incredibly sad to think of. Basically since no one is forced to listen to the radio or MTV, people are free to experiment with many different genres, or keep listing to the same stuff they did 20 - 30 years ago. No one HAS to listen to popular music anymore. Also anyone can cut an album / music video now and get it out to millions of people.

Tall4Life

I'd say OK Computer is the last album that Radiohead fans universally united on as being great. 1997 they genuinely felt like the biggest band in the world. Everything from Kid A onwards split their audience in a huge way. Even at their peak though, they never had anywhere close to the impact that MJ had.

I really wouldn't say that many Radiohead albums past OKC split their audience. There are disagreements about which ones are better, but you would be hard pressed to find people that dislike Kid A or In Rainbows. Their other albums, yes, but their trinity of OKC/Kid A/In Rainbows is the top 3 of most Radiohead lists 98% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom