• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there any album released in the last 20 years that will be as revered as thriller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beartruck

Carly_Rae_Jepsen_-_Emotion.png

I thought you were being a troll, but I gave the album a listen and damn that's good. Shame "I really like you" was chosen as the headliner of that album because it really poorly represents the rest of the style in it.

Teggy

No. As has been pointed out, the only record that comes even close since then is Nevermind because it totally shifted the landscape of pop music.

Machine

This is the inherent problem for the thread. What are the parameters here? Does it have to be universal or mainstream accepted? Does allowing niche acclaim kind of go against the point in the first place? Across all races and genders?

If someone brings up Thriller it's pretty easy to assume they're talking about its rare combination of critical acclaim, high sales, and mainstream acceptance. While people have listed critical darlings in niche genres and pop albums with high sales and multiple hits, nothing recent comes close to that combination. It seems like everyone used to own a copy of Thriller. Only metal fans own a copy of Master of Puppets. Teenage Dream may have spawned a ton of hits but its metacritic is 52/100 which means it had very little critical acclaim. People mentioning Nevermind forget it came out in 1991 which is 25 years ago so it really doesn't count either.

I don't think you can objectively call any artist with a billion youtube views for several individual songs "niche". If you haven't heard anything from them you are the rare exception.

Taylor Swift and Katy Perry have easily reached the cultural relevance of Michael Jackson in music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_Dream_(Katy_Perry_album)#Chart_performance

Granted, "niche" was a poor word choice but...no way.

Having a billion youtube views isn't the same as having a billion unique views, for starters. It's a very impressive number, for sure, but someone viewing your free music video isn't the same thing as album sales. Album sales are necessary for an album to be more than a flash in the pan, for the music to endure in a way that is comparable at all to Thriller. Granted, the album has broken or matched several significant records but I don't believe those mean much for its long-term legacy.

According to the wikipedia article you linked, that album has sold roughly 3 million copies worldwide. Compare to Thriller, which was moving a million copies per week at the height of its popularity. It's sold over 30 million copies in the U.S. alone. You could argue that people simply don't buy albums anymore, and that would be true, but that's one of the reasons nothing will be as significant as Thriller ever again: modern music is much more disposable; most of the people who listen to any particular track, even if they like it, will just move on eventually.

This is the only post that would be remotely accurate.
I've never heard of 75% of the albums people are listing. Here would be the requirements:

-Wildly popular
-Generally perceived as a talented or influential artist
-Has several wildly popular singles

I think Adele's 21 is probably the only one that'd fit the bill. Maybe a Coldplay album. I'm not really an Adele or Coldplay fan but they seem to be the closest.

atr0cious

No, thriller was a global sensation pre modern internet, not even zombie mjs new album does anything like it. The album spanned mediums and culture, music is way too commercialized now for that to happen again.

DJChuy

Back then, I thought Usher's Confessions was going to be our generation's thriller. It spawned lots of hits, had huge sales, etc. However it didn't have a lasting impact/legacy. I mean no one really talks about Confessions anymore...and Usher.

Not in the last 20 years,and it will not happen again due to changes in media and technology. Thriller just came at the perfect time.

Also Purple Rain by Prince was released 2 years later, and is a superior album of a superior overall talent.

Of everything listed I think Adele's 21 might be the closest. EVERYONE knows several songs from that album mainly because of the sheer number of radio spins each single had.

the sad truth is there are no such albums.

that so many people have posted examples older than 20 years only further hammers this point home. this era is a music desert.

the sad truth is there are no such albums.

that so many people have posted examples older than 20 years only further hammers this point home. this era is a music desert.

Incorrect. There are tons of albums released that are a whole lot better than Thriller. It is just revered doesn't mean better.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Lol, Adele and Coldplay are nowhere near MJs level of popularity
Coldplay is probably more of a comparison of U2 I would think. Adele has the best two selling albums ever of the 2010s with both selling 30 million copies plus.

Looking at the wiki for Top Grossing Albums of All Time (and yes, Thriller is #1), here are the albums from the last 20 years:

1. Shania Twain - Come on Over (1997) 39MM
2. Celine Dion - Falling Into You (1996) 32MM
3. Celine Dion - Let's Talk About Love (1997) 31MM
4. The Beatles - 1 (2000) 31MM
5. Adele - 21 (2011) 31MM

Lebron

No.

They still play the full Thriller MV every year on TV in October. Ain't no one topping Thriller any time soon as far as longevity goes.

Playsage

Critical praise speaking? Well, arguably It's not even the best MJ album
Off the Wall is

Also, nowadays OK Computer is a much more relevant album than Thriller (just go take a look at Sputnikmusic)

It's still the best selling album though, right?

Ah yes, now is my chance to say "The Very Best Of Nickelback" to the thunderous applause of millions on GAF.

They all ask: "How could he have come up with an answer so bold, so witty?" It defies explanation.

Servbot24

Banned
Hundreds of albums are better than Thriller, that's not what the thread is getting at.

If another Thriller were ever to be made it would be by someone like Taylor Swift or Katy Perry. Justtin Timberlake was on the verge at one point but I don't think he has it in him now.

ZOONAMI

Hundreds of albums are better than Thriller, that's not what the thread is getting at.

If another Thriller were ever to be made it would be by someone like Taylor Swift or Katy Perry. Justtin Timberlake was on the verge at one point but I don't think he has it in him now.

Yeah I do love that 20/20 experience album.

I am thoroughly convinced by your rebuttal...

Why are people mentioning an album that has sold around 4.5 million, while Thriller sold around 110 million records?

It's on a completely other level. Just because "every alternative" person on the internet listens to Radiohead doesn't mean most other people do, too.

Ask 10 persons on the streets if they can name one song on "Thriller" and I guess that 8 or 9 will be able to do so. How many people are able to even mention one song by Radiohead?

Radiohead doesn't have the popular influence some people on this forum want them to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom