• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is your connotation of the term "JRPG" negative?

Fitts

Unfortunately, I think the term has taken on a negative connotation over time for me. I really liked the turn-based gameplay and interesting art of JRPGs past, but then nearly everything started adopting an anime aesthetic, overwritten plots/dialog, and obnoxious voice acting. Actually, Final Fantasy XII is the only JRPG that currently comes to mind that has acceptable (good, even) voice acting in my opinion.

Battle systems often still bring something interesting to the table, though. Too bad it gets buried beneath a bunch of tropey crap.

petghost

Banned
I think wrpgs are more in line with what I consider the roots of the genre ie tabletop dogs. Jrpgs have evolved into their own thing for better or worse.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I associate it with positivity. It tells me I'm going to get a prescribed story, ethereal music and sentimental emotional themes.

But I guess I am the converted

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I think JRPGs started getting weird when graphics caught up to what the developers wanted to show.

I love the classic Final Fantasy games, but the new ones... eh.

This is a goddamn great way to put it. This is also why more recent JRPGs I tend to enjoy tend to be on lower powered handhelds as well, the visual restrictions placed on a game like Radiant Historia or even Bravely Default create a far more interesting aesthetic for me than...uhm, this
Neptunia-Re-Birth-3-JP-LE-Pre-Orders.jpg

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
That said, I didn't know that JRPG is considered to be a negative term on Japanese social media. I don't think its negativity there is all encompassing as you still have Japanese developers using the term themselves like Imageepoch for example in their mission statement but I can definitely see why negativity over the term would be created in Japan due to how much negative media there is about it from Western gaming press.

In particular, Imageepoch has become a lighting rod for negativity of the issue whenever the term "JRPG" is brought up, because of how they went under fairly painfully.

Its a very complex issue, but for me, its always just meant an RPG made in Japan. I think the fact that it is seen as something that 'westerners' term differently from RPG because they see them as inferior was a big enough misconception to address with a thread.

When you say that Monolith got offended by the term what did they actually said?

They said this

Is this the Gamespot interview that link refers to? They didn't seem offended by it. Here are some quotes from Tetsuya Takahashi on the subject:

Which seems fairly innocent to me, however the outcome was taken in Japan as Monolith, "striking back" against a racist term, which really confused me, and i don't think that is necessarily fair for people who do actively follow Japanese games and Japanese RPGs in the west.

Jazz573

This is a goddamn great way to put it. This is also why more recent JRPGs I tend to enjoy tend to be on lower powered handhelds as well, the visual restrictions placed on a game like Radiant Historia or even Bravely Default create a far more interesting aesthetic for me than...uhm, this

You hating on NepNep? That's real low man, real low. :p-

Relatively neutral connotation for me. The term "JRPG" usually makes me interested to find out more about a game, but I don't make a real judgement about a game in that genre until I find out more about it.

For comparison, "this is totally a pokemon rip-off" = "Damn I need to buy that game ASAP" for me.

Tohsaka

It's the opposite for me. I liked Bravely Default, but hated the chibi character models. I wished it was on a more powerful platform so the character models would be more realistic.

MrDoctor

This thread is already a mess. I'll just say the term was invented by bigots and will always have been invented by bigots.

The term JRPG is simply a shorthand reference to a particular kind of RPG that shares common gameplay and artistic elements. The genre originated in Japan...
No, it didn't.
It seems like the genre would click with me, though.
JRPG-Gaf, where do I start? I don't mind dated graphics.
https://www.gog.com/game/the_legend_of_heroes_trails_in_the_sky
http://store.steampowered.com/app/251150/

Not at all! It's one of those genres I really want to play, but I somehow never get around to.
I played Persona 4 and a bit of various dungeon crawlers–Oh! and Crimson Shroud but that's about it.

It seems like the genre would click with me, though.
JRPG-Gaf, where do I start? I don't mind dated graphics.

TRAILS IN THE SKY

Edit: MrDoctor thought the same.

A little bit. Not so much because I dislike JRPGs (I like them a lot, actually), but more because it seems like people only bother to use the term when they mean "JRPGs I don't like"; ie, Dark Souls and Persona don't seem to get called "JRPGs" nearly as often as the Tales games or Star Ocean.

So, when it comes up in a conversation with a designer, I usually assume that's what they're driving at. The same with "WRPGs", by the by; in my experience, people are usually using the term to denote their personal distaste for a game (and again, usually without regards to the actual origin of the game or any defining traits it may have).

Anno

Not really negative, because I want all games to be great, but I usually assume it's no longer a game I will play myself. It's all I ever played as a kid but something about the normal aesthetic now just totally turns me off. If everything looked like the Tactics Ogre remake (and didn't involve saving the world) then I'd play all of them.

Uraizen

Banned
It has a negative connotation for me, but probably not for the same reason as others. For me it's synonymous with bad gameplay. So I tend to avoid them, but I guess you could say the same about most WRPGs. There's always exceptions, but it's very rare.

To me it does not. It is my favorite genre. I like them better than WRPGs due to their focus on characters and gameplay.

It's sad to hear that Japanese developers think that we look down on them. Some do probably, but the genre has tons of fans.

There's so many JRPGs too, so theres a lot of mediocre ones that give the genre a bad name.

Absolutely not. I play a lot of games but have decided in the last year or so that it is my favorite genre. Right now I am playing SMT: IV, SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Lost Dimension, FF: VIII, and plenty more games in my backlogue and I have several anticipated titles (mostly Persona 5 and FFXV). Who cares that it isn't as strong as during the PS1/2 era? Why does that diminish the genre in any way? I still love 3D platformers even though until recently that was basically a dead genre.

Toxi

Banned
The term JRPG is simply a shorthand reference to a particular kind of RPG that shares common gameplay and artistic elements. The genre originated in Japan, and most of the titles that belong to it were made there, but the Japanese aspect is ultimately unimportant. There are a fair number of indie JRPGs that were made by Americans and there are some western RPGs (Dragon's Dogma) that were made in Japan.
What makes Dragon's Dogma a WRPG?

What are the common gameplay and artistic elements of a JRPG? Turn-based battle? No, many famous JRPGs like Kingdom Hearts and Star Ocean are action-based. Pre-made non-customizable player character? Xenoblade Chronicles X says hi. The only thing that all JRPGs actually have in common is being made in Japan.

Currently for me, yes. Anytime the Japanese make a JRPG, they always end up making the characters like they don't know how people look or behave. Seriously that Vita joke was on point. There are to many Japanese developers that seem to think half naked girls with 3 different emotions are okay and its really not. It makes me not want to by yor games.

Edit: I guess this falls into the problem with a lot of Japanese culture and more specifically anime and manga. Miyazaki ain't lying.

Korigama

It's the opposite for me. I liked Bravely Default, but hated the chibi character models. I wished it was on a more powerful platform so the character models would be more realistic.
3DS is powerful enough for realistic character models. The problem is the insistence of most JRPG developers on using chibi character models as a stylistic choice. It was never a hardware issue.

Jazz573

Currently for me, yes. Anytime the Japanese make a JRPG, they always end up making the characters like they don't know how people look or behave. Seriously that Vita joke was on point. There are to many Japanese developers that seem to think half naked girls with 3 different emotions are okay and its really not. It makes me not want to by yor games.

Suit yourself. Makes me want to buy it even more. :p

3DS is powerful enough for realistic character models. The problem is the insistence of most JRPG developers on using chibi character models as a stylistic choice. It was never a hardware issue.

Well, I don't see a problem with chibi characters. :p

Fou-Lu

JRPGs are my favorite genre, so no.

A term that can be applied to Mother, Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, Xenoblade, Paper Mario, Dragon Quest, etc. Could never be negative to me.

kunonabi

Not really since I still enjoy JRPGs when they aren't doing the faux mmo/action rpg crap that is all the rage these days.. WRPGs have a much more negative connotation to me.

Dark_castle

I think the advent of voice acting really hurts JRPG as a whole. Before, we can imagine how the characters would sound like, and they sound like actual people in our mind rather than badly acted caricature.

Par Score

"JRPG" to me means:

The Good:
Turn based, tactical or systems based combat, interesting levelling systems, unusual stories.

The Bad:
Random battles, heavily menu driven combat, poor UI, endless cutscenes, unusual and slightly creepy stories.

The Ugly:
Endless cutscenes where you have to button mash through every damn line of dialogue, unusual and really fucking damn creepy stories.

The genre seems to have been slipping further and further into the ugly side of things as time has passed, so yes, I'd call my connotation pretty negative.

Shahed

"JRPG"? No.

"JRPG for Vita"? Yes.

For someone who's favourite genre is what would be classed as JRPG's, and someone who owns a Vita, I agree with this. Nothing is worse than looking forward to new RPG's and getting lewd trash

Korigama

Well, I don't see a problem with chibi characters. :p
I don't mind it every once in a while, but I do find it disappointing how it's used as the default on the system, with Shin Megami Tensei IV being one of the extremely rare games that doesn't adhere to that (and even then, the blend of 3D models and SMT I/II-inspired sprites makes for something of a mixed bag).

Jazz573

"JRPG" to mean means:

The Good:
Turn based, tactical or systems based combat, interesting levelling systems, unusual stories.

The Bad:
Random battles, heavily menu driven combat, poor UI, endless cutscenes, unusual and slightly creepy stories.

The Ugly:
Endless cutscenes where you have to button mash through every damn line of dialogue, unusual and really fucking damn creepy stories.

The genre seems to have been slipping further and further into the ugly side of things as time has passed, so yes, I'd call my connotation pretty negative.

Gonna have to elaborate on what you mean by creepy.

For someone who's favourite genre is what would be classed as JRPG's, and someone who owns a Vita, I agree with this. Nothing is worse than looking forward to new RPG's and getting lewd trash

Maybe in your opinion it's trash. :p

Tohsaka

It's capable of them, but the devs likely wouldn't have gone with that style if the game was on another platform. Not port begging or anything since I own a 3DS and the game, I just didn't like the game's aesthetics.

Depends.

As someone that watches Anime and plays Japanese games on a fairly regular basis, I personally think that a whole lot of media that comes out of Japan in general is souless and derivative, reusing the same tired plot points over and over to varying degrees of quality. This could be said of anything from anywhere but it seems to me that I could throw a dart and have a 90 percent chance of hitting an archetype when it comes to games and Anime from Japan.

I think most JRPGs suffer from absolutely awful writing which gets even more awful when there is any "romance" plots involved, I can count on one hand the amount of JRPGs that I have felt had good plots and decent writing. And the voice acting in most of them...Jesus. If only more of them had paid attention to how FFXII handled voice acting, it seems even Square has forgotten.

I also feel there is absolutely no excuse for the pervy fanservice shit that many seem to find acceptable. Arguments are often made for it just being "culture" differences but I'm not going to use different moral standards for different places, Those sentiments simply hold no water to me, that kind of objectification isn't okay no matter what as far as I am concerned.

That being said I do still love a lot of things about actual Japanese game design. I still adore turn based combat, and their particular flavor of action game. As derivative as their writing can be, I think their games play just as differently most of the time game to game. You simply will not find anything out there that plays like pretty much every game from Japan, and I personally think most of the best game designers working today are Japanese. The kind of elegance and polish that they display on a fairly regular basis isn't something western games often replicate in my opinion.

More than anything, the term JRPG just symbolizes a game that is going to be too large for me to have time to play now unfortunately. I'm too busy most days. I don't know how some of you dudes do it.

Fou-Lu

We should make a list of all the JRPGs that don't have random battles. I am tired of hearing that as a reason to hate the genre.

Korigama

It's capable of them, but the devs likely wouldn't have gone with that style if the game was on another platform. Not port begging or anything since I own a 3DS and the game, I just didn't like the game's aesthetics.
Probably wouldn't have. However it started, developers do often think that just because something's released on 3DS, it needs to go for a cutesy look.

Canucked

When it comes to turn-based JRPGs, I used to love them, and I'll dabble in the odd one here and there. But I think once the Playstation hit and the battles started becoming longer and longer I lost interest. I like speedier battles.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I actually quite like chibi characters of the FF remake or BD style. It's abstracted in a way I can appreciate and I like how it makes them feel more "sprite-like"

Top Bottom