• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It appears Target has made a horrendous business decision (regarding Garth Brooks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Shipwreck RT my picutures- my Target in New Jersey has over 200 of them strewn throughout the store

I'm sure there are parts of the country where this sold just fine, and Target is a national chain, but maybe you shouldn't be sending hundreds of country CDs to states that voted for Hillary?
What do politics have to do with anything? Garth Brooks was a massive crossover hit, one of the best-selling artists of all time and known to have at least some liberal politics. The biggest idiocy to this is that it seems very untimely, since Garth isn't the name he once was.

Hazmat

I assumed "horrendous" meant some really awful promotion for Black History Month or something, not having too many Garth Brooks CDs.

7piorig.jpg

I'm shocked people are still talking about this old news Brooks when Chris Gaines is the future! You can't find his CD anywhere! He's sold out across the nation! Chris Gaines is the future!

I worked at a Target for the holiday season and we sold plenty of these fucking things. That said, we still had tons of them left when I got laid off.

I actually bought the Chris Gaines album for $1.50 a while back. I still haven't actually listened to it, but I'm curious to hear it after all these years.

gosox333

I was walking around a Target this past Sunday and noticed an endcap almost exactly like the one in the op

Thought it was weird then, guess they overshot lol

I thought this would be about Target Canada.

They lost several billions on this. A large Target store in my area was under renovation for over a year and they decided to pull out months before the grand opening.

Couple of millions? Yeah, big deal.

Alphahawk

I'd say 2007. His hits collection sold like gangbusters back then. A 10 disc collection for 30 bucks might be enticing to those fans lol!

Yeah, I think you probably could of gotten away with something like this in 07, because it seemed a lot of "legacy" artists hadn't yet embraced iTunes yet. Granted they were holdouts for sure and only the most dedicated fans would buy the sets, but it still mafr some business sense, now though...

I actually bought the Chris Gaines album for $1.50 a while back. I still haven't actually listened to it, but I'm curious to hear it after all these years.

It's the best damn rock album I've heard in thirty years! Aerosmith has nothing on Chris Gaines! NeoGAF should become NeoGAINES until we get a new Chris Gaines album!

xRaizen

I saw a TON of them on Black Friday. Thought it was weird lol. Went to two Targets that day and both had about 25 of them out front.

I thought this was going to be about how Target finally closed the door on the exploit that allowed the 5% discount from the Red Card being applied to your total online purchase even if you pay a portion of it with gift cards. I'm sad to see that one go.

You were in 2 different Targets on the same day?

Why is this odd?

oneils

Yeah, I think you probably could of gotten away with something like this in 07, because it seemed a lot of "legacy" artists hadn't yet embraced iTunes yet. Granted they were holdouts for sure and only the most dedicated fans would buy the sets, but it still mafr some business sense, now though...

Tickets to his vegas show were starting at 250 by the end, in 2014 or so, and that was due to his influence. Otherwise wynn would have probably doubled the price. The dude is literally bigger than Elvis! :p

I totally wanna see the Gaines tour, though. I'm a much bigger fan of that! Maybe they can stock 100 copies per store.

Xyrmellon

I never said I thought it would put them out of business, but they're already on clearance and the way Target does discounts I can see them 7 or 8 bucks in a week or two, cause they're still not selling. They will take a huge hit on these.

Also, I find the whole situation incedibly funny, and those that took offense at my title--every thread doesn't have to be doom and gloom.

He "retired" for a good number of years to be with his family. He put out his last album before retiring in 2001, and didn't come back with a new album until 2014.

Garth Brooks died in 2001 after taking Seth McFarlane's flight to New York. Chris Gaines is subverting the norms of rock music as we know it by re-adopting the persona of his former evil twin brother, Garth Brooks, and if you play the Target compilation backwards, it generates the QR code to download the new Chris Gaines album, Chemtrail Huffin'

Machine

I think he only has 10 studio albums. Why they would do a 10-disc boxed set that ISN'T his discography makes no fucking sense. It's very oddly conceived and executed.

jambo

I had never heard of this guy until I was looking through some highest selling artist lists.

He has 160 million album sales, but 135 million of those are in the US.

I'm so glad country music was never really a big thing in Australia.

I had never heard of this guy until I was looking through some highest selling artist lists.

He has 160 million album sales, but 135 million of those are in the US.

I'm so glad country music was never really a big thing in Australia.

He has some alright stuff, and some terrible stuff for sure. Live version of The Thunder Rolls is fucking awesome.

That base deck being too long triggers my inner-merchandiser. It literally is driving me insane. It ruins an otherwise beautiful endcap.

Backstory: Every week, Shipwreck from Cheap Ass Gamer goes to Target and posts images of the clearance deals they have. Last week, he noticed that they had copies of the recent Garth Brooks boxset. Alot of copies. Like dozens.

That got the ball rolling....

Now it's turned into a thing, with people posting image after image from their local Targets of this fiasco. Every location has at LEAST 50 copies, with some people reporting a couple hundred. How much money did Target invest in this, and how much are they going to
lose? It's rather mind-boggling. Shipwreck himself just posted that if every Target has 50 copies of this at MSRP that's 2.5 million bucks of product.

Post your Garth photos! I'll get the ball rolling, and rope me in if old.

url]

Sorry, have trouble direct image posting on mobile.

Target Australia did something similar 10 years ago. Spider-man 1 & 2 sold many copies on dvd.... they were like lets get plenty of copies of Spider-man 3 they would surely sell like hot cakes. Too bad Spidey 3 was not received as well as the previous 2 movies. Most stores had 120+ copies and barely moved any for months.

Koomaster

20 years later there will be news reports when the Garth Brooks CD collection landfill is unearthed and all these are dug up.

Not as bad a decision as going into Canada and completely misjudging the reasons why Canadians travelled over to the States to their Targets. I mean consecutive years of losing 1bn+ dollars says a lot more than just overbuying CDs.

U2NUMB

I saw those out around Xmas and thought... Who the fuck would want physical discs in an old school box set.. so this does not surprise me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom