• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It appears Target has made a horrendous business decision (regarding Garth Brooks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Jesus fuck, what the hell did Garth Brooks do to you guys?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
SAVE YOU A CLICK: Target misjudges market, buys too many of an item. NeoGAF'er predicts imminent bankruptcy.

Eh, I don't think they exactly "misjudged" just over-ordered. Also who the hell goes to Target for CD's now a days? Much less "exclusive" CD's?

Nydius

321 available at my nearest store which is literally 5 minutes away.

They advertised the shit out of this box set too. They started pushing it in circular ads around mid-October, at least in my area. Every circular from then through Christmas had the box set featured somewhere. Guess they really expected a bunch of holiday sales.

I can't say I'm surprised. Even the people I knew who were major Garth Brooks fans back in the 90's didn't want this set. It really didn't add anything compelling to the libraries of Garth fans who already have all his albums. They just needed to buy Gunslinger to keep their library up to date... and that album turned out to be crap anyway.

DOWN

Banned
The OP is incoherent. Doesn't even explain that Garth Brooks signed for a deal with Target and they released an exclusive box set. OP just mentions a recent box set as if we would know it was a new Target box set.

Xyrmellon

The OP is incoherent. Doesn't even explain that Garth Brooks signed for a deal with Target and they released an exclusive box set. OP just mentions a recent box set as if we would know it was a new Target box set.

What am I, his manager? I don't know anything about shady backroom dealings at Target headquarters where Chris Gaines laughs maniacally at the notion of millions of excess Garth Brooks boxes because he knows that no one will buy them without the Chris Gaines content.

cordy

Banned
Yall should have been around when this dropped

PrinceLotusFlow3r.jpg

So many of them that it made Garth Brooks look like a joke.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Haha I use to work at target, that shit isnt too uncommon actually but usually for music we have a return scan to get credit for alot of the over purchases. But then there were some bundled items or random items like this that couldnt be returned and we had to clearance it.

At least they are on clearance, sometimes our leadership would force me to push out like 100+ of an item that is discontinued and not discounted onto the shelves which results in 1-2 aisles of random items that look like shit lol.

Oh my god...

The two Targets closest to me, one has 236 copies and the other has 405!

There are four Targets within a 10 mile radius of me and altogether they have 858 copies!

Either you are in the same city as me or that is one hell of a coincidence.

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure this is like the 5th Garth Brooks collection. I think my mom has at least 2 collections already . (no, I don't know why) Why did they expect this to sell? Especially 400+ copies in one store, that is just ludicrous.

DOWN

Banned
What am I, his manager? I don't know anything about shady backroom dealings at Target headquarters where Chris Gaines laughs maniacally at the notion of millions of excess Garth Brooks boxes because he knows that no one will buy them without the Chris Gaines content.
You started blabbering about backstory and failed to give the only relevant backstory which is "There's a new Target-exclusive Garth Brooks box set that is clearly selling poorly." That's all. The thread makes no sense until we see why it is so bad specifically for Target because you didn't explain it well.

Live near Buena Park, CA and have 2,486 within driving distance.
Reminds me of the last time I stopped off at Little Caesars and they were selling Kid Rock CDs there for some reason.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Yall should have been around when this dropped

PrinceLotusFlow3r.jpg

So many of them that it made Garth Brooks look like a joke.

Didn't he give one away with every ticket sold for his shows, or each person subscribed to a newspaper got one? There was some weird promotion I can't remember.

Socreges

Banned
You started blabbering about backstory and failed to give the only relevant backstory which is "There's a new Target-exclusive Garth Brooks box set that is clearly selling poorly." That's all. The thread makes no sense until we see why it is so bad specifically for Target because you didn't explain it well.
err.gif

giphy.gif

MoeDabs

Didn't he give one away with every ticket sold for his shows, or each person subscribed to a newspaper got one? There was some weird promotion I can't remember.

Prince has definitely done the album purchase with ticket , helped inflate numbers sold.
Usually artists do that with high priced tickets, but prince did that with all the tickets on that tour.

Prince has definitely done the album purchase with ticket , helped inflate numbers sold.
Usually artists do that with high priced tickets, but prince did that with all the tickets on that tour.

He's done it more than once on his tours. It's how I ended up with a copy of Musicology.

cordy

Banned

I wouldn't be surprised because that album wasn't selling.

I used to work at Target and that album was 3-disc set. It originally was 12 bucks but it went down to $0.99 in less than 4 months. You know how big the Garth Brooks Collection looks in these pictures? This 3 CD Prince set just came in one of those non-plastic album cases, just a paper case, very small. I say that to say this. When I was setting up the endcap for this album, one row could have at least 100 albums easy on there. Multiply that by around 6 rows. Then factor in the fact that the project sucked it wasn't selling, even for 1 dollar. People didn't want it at all.

We had so many of those in the stockroom it was ridiculous lol. To this day I'm not sure what happened to them because I left that job years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if they just threw them away and took an L.

99Luffy

Banned
I think everyone got it but you.

Interestingly the Target where I used to live, which is in a pretty country-music type area, only has like 30 left compared to the one where I am now which has like 200 of the damn things. Remember laughing when I saw them with my dad around thanksgiving time.

Roubjon

The Target I work at has 0 of them in stock but every other one around me has absurd quanitities. I don't know what that says about my store.

IC5

He "retired" for a good number of years to be with his family. He put out his last album before retiring in 2001, and didn't come back with a new album until 2014.
What happened is that for years he talked about his love and dedication to his wife, who was an everyday Women.

And then he fell in love with Trisha Yearwood. Toured with her. Probably had sex with her----certain cheated in other ways, if not via sex.
Divorced his wife. Married Trisha Yearwood. Then he kinda had to go away for awhile. Because he just acted a fool, right in front of the country.

The targets around and outside Boston have about 90-100 max each , some with 60

Not as hilarious huge but still a huge number

I'll buy one for $1 if it ever drops that low, could always use paper weight X a coaster

Catdaddy

Isn't Garth Brooks the second best selling artist of all time in the US? I can see why they would expect it to sell.

He's been out of the spotlight too long and replaced over and over by other pop-rock/country acts,,, 15 years ago these would have probably sold well, but until he popped back up via Target completely forgot about him

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit

The album that came with newspapers was 20Ten. I don't think it ever saw a physical release in the US.

Linkura

My 3 local Targets in NJ have 184, 157, and 153 left.

Put DCPI # 012-05-0331 and your zip code into here

http://brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker/

103 at the one I shop at for $14.98. Next closest one has 211 for $20.98. One ten miles away has a whopping 338 at $14.98.

The targets around and outside Boston have about 90-100 max each , some with 60

Not as hilarious huge but still a huge number

I'll buy one for $1 if it ever drops that low, could always use paper weight X a coaster

Wrong. 103 is Saugus, 211 is Everett, and Danvers is 338.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom