• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki: I WILL RELEASE Devil's Third in North and South America

So why bother funding the game if they weren't planning on releasing it in the region that would sell the most copies? It would be nice if Itagaki had control over the IP (highly doubt it) so he could build on it in the future. Its not perfect but its ambitious and I'd hate to see it die here.

So Nintendo ditched one of its titles that it featured last year at E3? Why would they do that? Does anyone know anything about this situation?
Disaster Day of Crisis was announced at E3 too and that never came out here.

So was Xenoblade (under the title Monado) for which there was quite an unnecessary amount of drama surrounding its release.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So why bother funding the game if they weren't planning on releasing it in the region that would sell the most copies? It would be nice if Itagaki had control over the IP (highly doubt it) so he could build on it in the future. Its not perfect but its ambitious and I'd hate to see it die here.
He's going mobile next though.

_Clash_

But seriously,

One day we'll all tell the story of Devils Third.

It's been a memorable ride, the game that wouldn't die finally completed and then disowned.

When you buy a new jar of jam but the old one still has some left inside you scrape that jam out and spread it out wide and finely to fill in the gaps.
The wii u has to survive until next November when NX is out, if you think NOA will just chuck all the leftover jam either in the bin or not spread it out finely and make the most of it then your crazy.

_Clash_

It's probably coming from the same NoA marketing and publishing fund that is supposed to fund NX's rise to the top.

The Wii U is not in a position for NOA to consider the prospect of any releases. It should launch whatever it gets. If investment is a concern at list do it diggitally or throught the online store.
Actually, their holiday line up is pretty solid and I doubt this game will do anything for them, so I guess they can skip it if they don't see it selling well nor being received well.
We also don't have an official statement on the matter, nor does Itagaki's quote confirm that NoA is not publishing

Astral Dog

Its true that Fatal Frame V is going to be a digital only release?

im worried half late Wii U titles will be digital only :/

SerTapTap

Actually, their holiday line up is pretty solid and I doubt this game will do anything for them, so I guess they can skip it if they don't see it selling well nor being received well.
We also don't have an official statement on the matter, nor does Itagaki's quote confirm that NoA is not publishing

The problem is that other than Splatoon they have delayed basically everything to come out in the holiday this year. Holiday may be good but it's at the cost of the rest of the entire year. Holding back Yoshi in the US is straight stupid IMO, there's nothing right now and they're still keeping it from us.

Its true that Fatal Frame V is going to be a digital only release?

im worried half late Wii U titles will be digital only :/

Nintendo luurrrves retail so I kinda doubt it, but they seem to have lost almost all faith in their third party pickups, or at least FF/Devil's.

The problem is that other than Splatoon they have delayed basically everything to come out in the holiday this year. Holiday may be good but it's at the cost of the rest of the entire year. Holding back Yoshi in the US is straight stupid IMO, there's nothing right now and they're still keeping it from us.
Yeah, I agree. Should be July.

NOA has been pretty active in messing with the dedicated consumer base recently:

1) Normal size New 3DS not released.

2)Yoshi for October.

3)The Fatal Frame localization. Too tight lipped in regards to the progress and they chose to put Yoshi for October when this made more sense.

4) Devil's Third situation. When the game is already announced for Japan and Europe.

The Wii U is not in a position for NOA to consider the prospect of any releases. It should launch whatever it gets. If investment is a concern at list do it diggitally or throught the online store.

I'm not talking only about Nintendo USA, just Nintendo in general, I mean, maybe no release in USA (by Nintendo), in Japan exclusive to Amazon, probably very limited release in Europe, zero publicity.

i wasn't talking about their hollyday line up and i believed that Nintendo could' ve potentially had a game each month from July on. As things are now, NOA is the one looking worse with nothing much to play on the Wii U (eShop aside) until september.

What makes the above rather strange is that there doesn't seem to be some solid logic behind the behaviour, something NOA is getting us used to and it's getting really obnoxious by now. America is their biggest market yet Europe is doing a lot better decision wise for quite some time.

Ridley327

Itagaki's will can't stand up to the might of NoA, unfortunately. All this confirms to me is that NoA really has dropped the game.

This is actually a rare situation in which the developer owns the IP for a Nintendo-funded game. It's not to say that he could just take it to any publisher with impunity, but he's got a bit more freedom to make big decisions if necessary, as the case seems to be here.

I'm sure he's got Nintendo's blessing in any case.

This is actually a rare situation in which the developer owns the IP for a Nintendo-funded game. It's not to say that he could just take it to any publisher with impunity, but he's got a bit more freedom to make big decisions if necessary, as the case seems to be here.

Well, that's good to know. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

I really cannot stand NoA at this point.

jmizzal

I dont care how it gets here, as long as it gets here and in Aug with Japan and Europe, its only heavy so it cant be far apart.

Gamestop exclusive, eShop only idc I want the game

Maybe they played it? I'd love to be wrong, but it really does look bad. Not trying to shit post, but I'm seriously wondering if that's a possible reason.

Everything I've seen about this game looks like utter shit, in my opinion.

I know "we need titleZzzz" or whatever, but maybe Nintendo of America would rather not be associated with hot garbage?

The only reason the game looks like shit is because it has been hard to find a publisher. I think this game has been finished since two years after he left Tecmo. I mean this is the guy that released the beautiful classic Ninja Gaiden on the XBOX. It was one of the best looking games at the time.

Oregano

If he owns the IP he could probably self publish on the shop at the very least.

Vena

Let's be real here, if NoA has no problem bringing over and publishing Bayo2 but won't do it for D3rd, its probably not out of a fear for "the children" but out of fear of hot shit, lol.

Last E3 there was probably some hopefulness in the title turning things around and becoming a better product, but that seems to have not occurred given recent footage and the general reception/handling of the title by the entirety of Nintendo.

Even outside the console "needing" titles, I thought Nintendo wanted to have mature titles that appealed to more than just kids/casuals? It feels seriously ironic.
With the might of Itagaki's will at the game's back, though, maybe it'll have some actual advertisement...
I doubt it.

Ridley327

If he owns the IP he could probably self publish on the shop at the very least.

I imagine that whatever deal he has with Nintendo doesn't allow him to completely cut out the middle man. They did pay for it, after all, and I'm sure there are certain guidelines that he needs to follow for a period of time.

Being that they do still have some hand in it, though, it does make it easier for him to get it in the hands of another publisher, even if it will almost assuredly be one of the smaller companies like XSEED or Aksys and not, say, Activision.

Petrae

Count me among the surprised that Nintendo of America would dump publishing a game for WiiU-- a platform that can certainly use more software. Did NoA lose faith in the game's ability to sell here? Is the game too shitty? Is it too diificult to market?

Very interesting case, this is.

Jawmuncher

My biggest issue just as it was before is that both Nintendo Japan and Europe have no qualms with numerous releases. While NoA has pulled this sort of stuff numerous times.

FStop7

Banned
rqKkPCZ.jpg

Just posted on Facebook.

Terroristic threats are illegal.

AdanVC

He even mentioned South America! Now because of this I would buy 3 copies of Devil's Third :')

Nintendo of America becoming shittier and shittier everyday. It's like the actual president is being run by Tanner, the kid on the E3 announcement video....

No I actually think that kid would do waaaay better as president than Reggie. ughhh.

Ridley327

My biggest issue just as it was before is that both Nintendo Japan and Europe have no qualms with numerous releases. While NoA has pulled this sort of stuff numerous times.

That's my biggest issue with this right now. NoA got a ton of well-deserved flack for the crap they pulled last gen with leaving localized games out for dead, with only a couple of them got the chance to make it over to US, but under a different publisher. That they would want to remind their most loyal fans of that animosity is rather baffling, especially on a system that has had such an issue with any kind of consistency for its release slates.

Schnozberry

Itagaki should just self publish using the Valhalla name on the eShop. Probably wouldn't take much effort. Physical release seems a little far fetched if Nintendo has pretty much bowed out.

Zemm

NoA is more incompetent than pre Phil Spencer Xbone division.

I have a theory they don't have region free systems because then NoA would struggle when the hardcore stop buying games from that region. It's a pretty shitty theory but so are NoA.

steveovig

I just don't understand not releasing it in NA, if it is coming to Europe. There'd be no translation or anything to worry about. It seems so cut and dry. Even if it bombs in NA, at least they'd be selling a few more copies of it, as opposed to not releasing it at all.

Top Bottom