• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki: I WILL RELEASE Devil's Third in North and South America

Pizza

I've had $60 set aside for this game since last e3. I've been itching to give Nintendo my money for this.

Nintendoplz

Doorman

It wouldn't sell enough for Nintendo to believe it would recoup the investment. That doesn't seem all that difficult to grasp. Yes the Wii U "needs games" but what Nintendo wants more than games is profits. Devil's Third doesn't give them that, nor would releasing it at a loss really foster any sort of goodwill outside of the scant number of people who would buy it, were they to publish it after all.

As for Yoshi, I'm guessing that's later in America due to the time and cost to manufacture and distribute the yarn amiibos. It sucks, but it makes sense.

I will pay $100 to have ninjas personally deliver it when im home without me knowing it. I'll just walk in to the bed room and there it will be.

AdanVC

It wouldn't sell enough for Nintendo to believe it would recoup the investment. That doesn't seem all that difficult to grasp. Yes the Wii U "needs games" but what Nintendo wants more than games is profits. Devil's Third doesn't give them that, nor would releasing it at a loss really foster any sort of goodwill outside of the scant number of people who would buy it, were they to publish it after all.

As for Yoshi, I'm guessing that's later in America due to the time and cost to manufacture and distribute the yarn amiibos. It sucks, but it makes sense.

Me and my Grandma can help with that god damn. October is so far away still :'(

TDLink

The game's already finished and localized into English and French. It would cost them nothing more at this point to just toss at on the eShop at least. Even if it only sells a few thousand (and honestly it would probably do a bit better than that) it would still be better than nothing.

BbxjmiBCAAA5xjE.png-large-580x350.png

Glad NOE had no objections.

Maybe they played it? I'd love to be wrong, but it really does look bad. Not trying to shit post, but I'm seriously wondering if that's a possible reason.

Looks like a better action title than Starfox U in every way tbh. And other games NoA ignored (i.e. CiNG games) were top notch too.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
hah i can see it now

NoA removing the license from Itagaki and stop him from releasing the game on Wii U

Nintendo, "3rd party on Wii U? NO WE DON'T WANT THAT"

Doorman

The game's already finished and localized into English and French. It would cost them nothing more at this point to just toss at on the eShop at least. Even if it only sells a few thousand (and honestly it would probably do a bit better than that) it would still be better than nothing.

English translations aren't typically shared between NoE and NoA, though. Xenoblade was a rarity in that sense. Perhaps I'm wrong, but even if they were to use what they had already is it possible that broadening the release of the game would still involve an added cost paid out to whoever did localize it? Either way I still believe there are circumstances that lead to an eShop release not being quite so "free" as everyone is assuming.

Xenoblade was an expansive, broad-aged, Nintendo-developed game considered one of the best RPGs of last generation and it only made it here because Gamestop forked over exclusivity money for it. Devil's Third is (by most accounts) not nearly of the same quality, strictly mature on a system demonstrating little to no success in that market, developed by a third party, and coming to a system with a much, MUCH smaller install base than the Wii's was. The situations aren't comparable.

eShop. Now that Nintendo has the option to release games digitally, this argument no longer holds any water, especially considering the game has already been translated into English!.

There's still digital release. NoA is fucking incompetent, have been for quite some time, and deserve all the hate they get flung their way. After insanely giant fuck-ups like the Wii U, the goodwill of dedicated fans is what will keep their brand in the larger conversation, and burning away any of that goodwill is a great way for people to stop caring enough to even entertain them as a games company. It's astounding for a company with their kind of war chest to "pinch pennies" in this fashion when they need as much fan support as possible.

NoA is more incompetent than pre Phil Spencer Xbone division.

Reggie's recent lies and awful spins after their E3 showing also reminded me of Don Mattrick tbh.

I guess maybe NoA still wants to retain their ,,casual''-friendly image for whatever reason. So instead of this game, or even giving a minute of attention to Fatal Frame in their digital conference, they rather spend 10 minutes on some Skylanders deal.

Aw man, forgot about this game. Does Nintendo have full rights on it and shit? Would love to play it sometime, but i can't get a WiiU :(

TDLink

English translations aren't typically shared between NoE and NoA, though. Xenoblade was a rarity in that sense. Perhaps I'm wrong, but even if they were to use what they had already is it possible that broadening the release of the game would still involve an added cost paid out to whoever did localize it? Either way I still believe there are circumstances that lead to an eShop release not being quite so "free" as everyone is assuming.

Xenoblade was an expansive, broad-aged, Nintendo-developed game considered one of the best RPGs of last generation and it only made it here because Gamestop forked over exclusivity money for it. Devil's Third is (by most accounts) not nearly of the same quality, strictly mature on a system demonstrating little to no success in that market, developed by a third party, and coming to a system with a much, MUCH smaller install base than the Wii's was. The situations aren't comparable.

The situations aren't comparable because Xenoblade needed a physical release. This does not. It would be preferable of course, but worse case a eShop only release is entirely possible this time. You're assuming there would be an added cost pay out to the localization team, I'm not positive that is the case and I'm leaning towards doubting it. Nintendo still funded that localization, even if it was a different branch.

British-English localizations have released in North America before and vice versa, that should not be a reason preventing release.

Ridley327

Aw man, forgot about this game. Does Nintendo have full rights on it and shit? Would love to play it sometime, but i can't get a WiiU :(

As I mentioned, this is a somewhat unique situation where Nintendo funded a game, but the developer retained IP ownership. That doesn't mean that Itagaki can suddenly resurrect the 360/PS3 builds and release them on Nintendo's dime, but the future of the franchise would be in Itagaki's hands. If he got the money to do it, he could wind up porting the game to other systems in the future, but I don't doubt that Nintendo has written in some kind of grace period where he wouldn't be able to do that immediately. I think that there was a Steam database update for something called Devil's Third Online from a few months ago, so there are at least some preliminary plans to do something else with the rather ambitious multiplayer feature of the game.

If you're not a friend of Itagaki's on facebook already idk wtf you're doing here. The guy posts above average stuff on the regular, even for a ninja. Plus: WiiU + Central america? He might as well go by the monkier, "Jesus"

HeeHo

One of my most anticipated Wii U releases, say what you want about the visual style ( I don't mind it) but I think it will play very well.

TheMoon

Its true that Fatal Frame V is going to be a digital only release?

im worried half late Wii U titles will be digital only :/

No, it's speculation based on an image (lack of a temp box art).

So I assume we don't have any explanation as to why NoA dropped Devil's Third?

Why would there be an explanation for something that isn't even confirmed to be actually happening?

People are losing their shit over it disappearing from the upcoming games list in the eShop. That is all that happened here.

Chill pills need to be handed out asap.

Dr. Buni

Interesting to note that he cares more about releasing a game in SA than Nintendo itself. That being said, I have no interesting in his game, it is just not my thing.

TDLink

No, it's speculation based on an image (lack of a temp box art).

Why would there be an explanation for something that isn't even confirmed to be actually happening?

People are losing their shit over it disappearing from the upcoming games list in the eShop. That is all that happened here.

I think people are justified in their worry. NoA has dropped the ball on bringing games to the region time and time again. The Wii ended up getting 3 of those dropped titles down the line due to various other circumstances, but there are many more that still were localized in English and came out in Europe but not NA. Earlier this month release dates were announced for Japan and Europe but not NA, and they were radio silent during E3 with no mentions of the game on their press site. People are right to be concerned here.

The eShop issue is not really why people are worried. That's just the latest stop on the NA Devil's Third journey. The real concern comes from a complete lack of E3 presence, alongside no North American release date announcement. The video leaving the upcoming releases section on the eShop is simply more fuel on the fire.

The game always looked sort of bargain bin-tier to me but I'm curious enough that I'd snag it and give it a fair shot.

Nintendo, you're not in a position to turn down a game on your malnourished platform, release the fucking thing.

EDIT: Nevermind, this looks like dog-shit on a plate. http://youtu.be/bhYXd8E2KOE

The game has a firm release date for JP/EU/AUS territories. It's TBA for NA. The game's not even two month's away, and E3 just happened. It also isn't very comforting to hear Itagaki say that it's his will to release the game in NA. I know he's Japanese and that sentiments don't always translate well, but to me it suggests that it's not Nintendo's will to publish in NA. Given how poorly NoA manages game releases, I'd say it's well within reason to "lose one's shit".

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wonder if the people in here who are saying 'it looks like shit. i wouldn't release it either' were fans of Sleeping Dogs

TDLink

I may be forgetting some but these are games that Nintendo localized to English but Nintendo of America did not release in North America:

• Devil World
  • Mother 1* (As Earthbound Beginnings)
  • Sin and Punishment*
  • Custom Robo 64
  • Another Code: R
  • The Last Window (Hotel Dusk 2)
  • Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland
  • Disaster: Day of Crisis
  • Xenoblade Chronicles**
  • The Last Story**
  • Pandora's Tower**

*Came out years later on VC
**Released years after release due to Operation Rainfall and outside partnerships

It would not be surprising if Devil's Third was next considering the track record here.

And there are many more games Nintendo has made or published that have never been localized at all.

Let's be real here, if NoA has no problem bringing over and publishing Bayo2 but won't do it for D3rd, its probably not out of a fear for "the children" but out of fear of hot shit, lol.

Last E3 there was probably some hopefulness in the title turning things around and becoming a better product, but that seems to have not occurred given recent footage and the general reception/handling of the title by the entirety of Nintendo.
This doesn't make much sense as the game is coming out in Europe and Japan, there are things at stake in those markets also.

What we have seen is how erratic NOA can be with the release choice and schedule. That's why even if there's no official confirmation of a posible chance of not publishing the game some people are getting worried.

And like many have said already, fear of the game having a bad performance and subsequently making a loss are not a valid excuse since there's digital publishing at this stage. Nintendo would lose more money having payed up for the game and not getting at the least somre return by sales.

jholmes

I may be forgetting some but these are games that Nintendo localized to English but Nintendo of America did not release in North America:

• Devil World
  • Sin and Punishment*
  • Custom Robo 64
  • Xenoblade Chronicles**
  • The Last Story**
  • Pandora's Tower**

**Released years after release due to Operation Rainfall and outside partnerships

It would not be surprising if Devil's Third was next considering the track record here.

And there are many more games Nintendo has made or published that have never been localized at all.

Doshin the Giant.

Not that I share your pessimism.

Eusis

• Devil World
  • Sin and Punishment*
  • Custom Robo 64
  • Xenoblade Chronicles**
  • The Last Story**
  • Pandora's Tower**

The VC examples are exactly why this would be more baffling than ever before. Yes, marketing can cost a lot, but that's typically (I hope) because of explosive TV ads, stand ups erected all over the place, and just paying for placement in general. I doubt it costs that much to make a few banners for within the eShop and their own site and put Europe's trailer on YouTube. Maybe I'm underestimating some of the costs here (they probably would want to buy ad space on sites at a minimum) but I'd think being paralyzed trying to figure out what to do with it would be the bigger problem than just marketing budget at this point.

Top Bottom