• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itsuno teases Dragon's Dogma sequel on PS4 [also talks DMC5 and Rival Schools 3]

Oh for the love of all that is holy please let DMC5 happen.

On the other hand, this is practically confirmation that he isn't working on it now, lol.

Btw. What happened to Darkstalkers 4? Teasing it, then never again talk about it and then say they want to make a new rival schools which is/was a poor seller compared to street fighter as well.

Mesoian

Btw. What happened to Darkstalkers 4? Teasing it, then never again talk about and then say they want to make a new rival schools which is/was a poor seller compared to street fighter as well.

Darkstalkers Ressurection didn't meet sales projections, so surely the fact that the third repackaging of Darkstalkers 1 and 3 meant that people aren't interested in a new full on Darkstarlkers game. Capcom shitcanned it in preproduction. The idea of HD remixes being rally points for showing interest in new projects was always a shitty idea.

A Capcom developer talking about projects they'd love to do that will never happen?

Haven't heard this before.

YURP

Pbae

Btw. What happened to Darkstalkers 4? Teasing it, then never again talk about and then say they want to make a new rival schools which is/was a poor seller compared to street fighter as well.

I think they canned it since the Darkstalkers Resurrections sold poorly.

Pbae

Dear Hideaki Itsuno, do you remember that old game for Dreamcast called Powerstone?

YEESSSSSSS!!!!!

power_stone_3_logo.png

Didn't care too much for Dragon's Dogma. The world is cool, combat is pretty good, If they make the game less tedious I might be interested.
Maybe I'll give it another shot

Coconut

Banned
Dude what ever story you have in your head for DD2 don't tell it, just give me weapons and magic and giant crazy fantasy monsters to fight and I'll fill in the rest.

Mesoian

Dude what ever story you have in your head for DD2 don't tell it, just give me weapons and magic and giant crazy fantasy monsters to fight and I'll fill in the rest.

...So Dragon's Dogma 1? Because that's essentially what that was.

No, they need to hire better script writers like whoa. DD was a game that had an incredible final hour as far as plot and narrative are concerned, but the preceeding 39 hours to get to that final hour were complete dogshit. It's a good thing the combat in that game was so much fun or they would have had a real problem.

fallingdove

Wow - these comments are already in the running for best news of the week. Dragon's Dogma, Rival Schools, and DMC5 would be a next gen trifecta for me.

Coconut

Banned
...So Dragon's Dogma 1? Because that's essentially what that was.

No, they need to hire better script writers like whoa. DD was a game that had an incredible final hour as far as plot and narrative are concerned, but the preceeding 39 hours to get to that final hour were complete dogshit. It's a good thing the combat in that game was so much fun or they would have had a real problem.

The worst parts of DD1 are when they try to tell a story Ie the very beginning and the very end. All I want to do is adventure. Just let me have a FUCKING ADVENTURE! You sound like the kind of person that ruined RESIDENT EVIL for everyone, "I want to know Leon Kennedy's story."

sugarless

The source site's translation of the original Japanese interview on PS blog is pretty terrible. I'll take a stab at a better one that might clarify what he's saying.

"[Regarding a direct DD sequel] I already have the story and setting worked out in my head, but I haven't been given a chance to work on it yet! If a lot of fans express their desire to see this come out on PS4, that might make it more likely to happen.

I also want to make a simulation game, and I'd like to make more franchise titles, like a third Rival Schools or a fifth DMC. Something else I'd like to do is make a game based on real martial arts, and establish a new fighting genre like SFII did in its time. I have so many ideas and concepts in my head, all I need is a chance to act on them!"

Note that he doesn't say he wants to make a gardening game; the term 'garden in a box' is the Japanese idiom used to refer to games like SimCity where the player creates and cultivates a small world or something like a world.

Skilletor

I think a DMC5 is inevitable.

Dragon's Dogma 2 is the surprising one. Would LOVE a sequel on their shiny new engine.

I think you have it backwards, personally.

Dragon's Dogma 2 is all but a given and Dante will go join the ranks of Megaman.

Btw. What happened to Darkstalkers 4? Teasing it, then never again talk about it and then say they want to make a new rival schools which is/was a poor seller compared to street fighter as well.

Itsuno wouldn't talk about a new Darkstalkers, that's Ono's baby.

Elios83

Well Capcom has to make something.....right now their future is totally unclear...they must be developing new titles.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Rival School 3, DMC5
shit man after dat "For the Players since 1995" and all the love & talk of games for PS4 from devs I can't help but think PS4 is gonna be the next PSX or PS2.

Jobbs

Banned
Dragon's Dogma, despite its flaws, was one of the most exciting games to come out this gen. I want a sequel so freaking bad.

Mesoian

The worst parts of DD1 are when they try to tell a story Ie the very beginning and the very end. All I want to do is adventure. Just let me have a FUCKING ADVENTURE! You sound like the kind of person that ruined RESIDENT EVIL for everyone, "I want to know Leon Kennedy's story."

...So Resident Evil 4 ruined resident evil, huh?

I mean, this is a very real thing though, the biggest problem that people have with Skyrim is that all you can do is have an adventure. Most of the quests you get bring you to a castle or a cave or a temple that you root around in for 10-30 minutes, you clear, you get the treasure and you move on. There's usually very little motive for doing any of it. You're saying you want more of just...going through the motions?

I mean hell, that's why I could never get into Monster Hunter or God Eater; there are systems on top of systems on top of systems for every last facet of playing, but there is almost no given reason to do any of it except to make yourself stronger for the sake of making yourself stronger.

I'm sorry, I'm at the point in my life where I need a little bit more justification then, "and then a dragon came, so we decided to go kill it." Dark Souls does a great job of keeping you in the dark and having you slowly piece together what that crazy world is all about and what it has in store for you without shoving cutscenes down your throat, but they are trying very hard to weave an interesting story with very little narrative. If Capcom wants to go down that route, great, by all means. But I don't think they can pull that off.

Coconut

Banned

I mean, this is a very real thing though, the biggest problem that people have with Skyrim is that all you can do is have an adventure. Most of the quests you get bring you to a castle or a cave or a temple that you root around in for 10-30 minutes, you clear, you get the treasure and you move on. There's usually very little motive for doing any of it. You're saying you want more of just...going through the motions?

I mean hell, that's why I could never get into Monster Hunter or God Eater; there are systems on top of systems on top of systems for every last facet of playing, but there is almost no given reason to do any of it except to make yourself stronger for the sake of making yourself stronger.

I'm sorry, I'm at the point in my life where I need a little bit more justification then, "and then a dragon came, so we decided to go kill it." Dark Souls does a great job of keeping you in the dark and having you slowly piece together what that crazy world is all about and what it has in store for you without shoving cutscenes down your throat, but they are trying very hard to weave an interesting story with very little narrative. If Capcom wants to go down that route, great, by all means. But I don't think they can pull that off.

I Like Dark Souls I don't know the story very well. Sky rims biggest problem is that playing it isn't fun, nothing is enjoyable about how and when you press the buttons.

Make the original Deep Down target render trailer be the actual starting point for the next Dragon's Dogma and we will all have something to be excited about.

sleepykyo

In addition to that, I want to also make a miniature garden simulation, as well as make more games for (established) series such as “Rival Schools 3” and “Devil May Cry 5.” Later on, I would even like to make a game that captures authentic fighting and, such as Street Fighter II did, to develop a new genre of fighting games.

So DD2 is the likely one, and the quoted is just a wishlist, right?

DMC5?

Day one. Hopefully the Ninja Theory days are dead, and we can finally see this series get back on track...again.

Twist is NT is getting DMC5. Capcom wants to double tap to make sure DMC dies.

Skilletor

I never need a reason to explore great game play other than fun.

Nyoro SF

I never need a reason to explore great game play other than fun.

I think he brings up a good point.

Tedium that takes place with no sense or placement in the story narrative is headache inducing, especially if it's some grindfest of collecting or hacking and slashing weak enemies over and over again.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
They will wait for another 4 Monster Hunter games to ship before announcing this knowing the way they operate these days.

I think you have it backwards, personally.

Dragon's Dogma 2 is all but a given and Dante will go join the ranks of Megaman.
After the polarized fan reception to DmC, I had this feeling that they would turn DmC into a side-project and return with a proper DMC to capitalize on fan satisfaction. I dunno if Dante will be back, but to be honest I wouldn't mind another run with Nero

They will wait for another 4 Monster Hunter games to ship before announcing this knowing the way they operate these days.

Operating by making popular, profitable games instead of games that cost ten times more to make and sell a quarter of what MH does sure does sound incompetent and dastardly.

When will Capcom learn

Skilletor

I think he brings up a good point.

Tedium that takes place with no sense or placement in the story narrative is headache inducing, especially if it's some grindfest of collecting or hacking and slashing weak enemies over and over again.

Not for me. I never needed a reason to go exploring in Dragon's Dogma other than I wanted to because it was fun. The combat was amazing and there was a constant feeling of real exploration and danger.

All I need is more varied content: enemies and areas. Dragon's Dogma all looked the same and had very little enemy variety.

Good gameplay is all I need to keep me playing.

Operating by making popular, profitable games instead of games that cost ten times more to make and sell a quarter of what MH does sure does sound incompetent and dastardly.

When will Capcom learn

Can't believe Capcom is betraying its values by going after the Japanese audience. Bring back the Capcom of my childhood that was always talking about Westernizing all of their franchises (I am 8 years old)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's Capcom, even if Itsuno wants to do it Capcom will find some way to royally fuck up DMC5 AND Rival Schools. :/

Top Bottom