• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jack Tretton: 12,000 PS4s sold out in 27 mins @ Amazon (average of 19,000,000/month)

You're proposing a ban for anyone who didn't listen to the entire podcast, when the thread title strictly refers to the sales number? Isn't that a bit excessive?

Wouldn't it be better if there were a clear indicator of a mod edited thread title? Perhaps change the color of the part of the thread title text that has been mod edited? I feel that would sort out the confusion.

Or you could use common sense and think "hey that's a really stupid thing for Jack to say, I will check the OP for more information". Then read the OP (which has a podcast) and try and figure out if its a bullshit thread title or not.

Why it it doubtful Jack Tretton would say such a stupid thing? It isn't 2006, Sony isn't saying stupid shit right now, and saying 19,000,000 per month would be far better than any smartphone on the market. Any games console selling better than any flagship smartphone is impossible and everyone knows this. The only way the figures in the title would remotely make sense is if you shut off half your brain and accept the math required to arrive at that figure, which is basically what Larry is pretty much hoping will happen with the wider public who, like the people who don't read the OP, accept at face value.

Are you defending the sort of people that get their news by reading Twitter headlines? Because that's basically what you're doing.

This is bad news for Sony.

12000 PS4s in 27 minutes work out at 444 per minute.

This is dwarfed by the Xbox One all in One entertainment system from Microsoft which, according to official sources and not "insiders" with unclear agendas, did 1000 per minute.

You're comparing a peak number to an average number. You can't do that.

Or you could use common sense and figure out that Jack Tretton would not claim that they will sell an average of 19,000,000 per month. Then read the OP (which has a podcast) and try and figure out if its a bullshit thread title or not.

Why it it doubtful Jack Tretton would say such a stupid thing? It isn't 2006, Sony isn't saying stupid shit right now, and saying 19,000,000 per month would be better than any smartphone on the market. Its impossible and everyone knows this.

While I agree that it's not hard to figure out the joke, you have to understand that not every gaffer read the Major Nelson thread. Without knowing the context of sales velocity, a peeson can't be expected to know that the thread title is a joke, or more importantly, that it's been edited.

In any case, highlighting thread title edits by mods would be pretty useful. It helps distinguish what the op intended and what the mod placed in. It's a tiny little fix that would go a long way.

While I agree that it's not hard to figure iut the joke, you have to understand that not every gaffer read the Major Nelson thread. Without knowing the context of sales velocity, a peeson can't be expected to know that the thread title is a joke, or more importantly, that it's been edited.

In any case, highlighting thread title edits by mods would be pretty useful. Also it helps distinguish what the op intended and what the mod placed in.

Jesus, this is NeoGAF. There have been enough stupid joke titles with bears and salmons and BOMBA and whatever.

If you are so mentally weak that you accept "we sold 12,000 over 27 minutes, the rate of sales will remain EXACTLY THE SAME and we will sell 19 fucking million PS4s in the United States in December" without consulting the actual source, your school hasn't been doing a good job. You're probably the same sort of guy who reads "NATIONAL BROADBAND NETWORK IS A WASTE OF MONEY. LIBERAL NATIONAL PARTY'S FIBER TO THE NOTE SOLUTION IS CHEAPER AND FASTER" and accepts it would applying a single bit of critical thinking.

Only one company has been so insulting to assume people actually accept such math without thinking about the working behind it. That is Microsoft.

Each company is going to throw skewed statistics out to make them selves look like king of the mountain early own. None of the are lies, they just a half-truths and moments in time. Why you guys feel the need to debate them and feel so invested in them is sad. I wish everyone would put all this effort in discussing the games and platforms so that people who read this forum would be better informed. This shit is so pointless.

Jesus, this is NeoGAF. There have been enough stupid joke titles with bears and salmons and BOMBA and whatever.

If you are so mentally weak that you accept "we sold 12,000 over 27 minutes, the rate of sales will remain EXACTLY THE SAME and we will sell 19 fucking million PS4s in the United States in december" without consulting the actual source, your school hasn't been doing a good job. You're probably the same sort of guy who reads "NATIONAL BROADBAND NETWORK IS A WASTE OF MONEY. LIBERAL NATIONAL PARTY'S FIBER TO THE NOTE SOLUTION IS CHEAPER AND FASTER" and accepts it would applying a single bit of critical thinking.

Lol You need to calm the fuck down. I'm merely suggesting a tiny change that would highlight thread title edits. Not every edit is a joke. Some are informative and other relate directly to the previous thread title and only make sense to those that knew the title before the edit.

Take some valium before you reply.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I have a feeling that a tiny percentage of people have listened to the interview, because the context in which this information is revealed is completely different to the context from that other thread.

The interview starts at 27m51s, with the relevant twitter question being at 59m24s.

Edit: This is only directed at the people that are sincerely trying to discuss this in the joke thread. The others get by inference that this wasn't spun.

Hexa

Each company is going to throw skewed statistics out to make them selves look like king of the mountain early own. None of the are lies, they just a half-truths and moments in time. Why you guys feel the need to debate them and feel so invested in them is sad. I wish everyone would put all this effort in discussing the games and platforms so that people who read this forum would be better informed. This shit is so pointless.

I don't think you understand the spirit of this thread.
Which is a goldmine.

Zetta

I don't want to backseat mod but maybe a ban for anyone who didn't listen to the whole thing may be in order. It's the aural equivalent to not reading the OP. Just a few weeks off to teach people a lesson, then we wouldn't have confused people like benny_a in here riling people up.

garycoleman-wtf.gif

How the hell did this thread go from good old fashion fun to someone asking for a ban for none topic readers.
unless that is also a joke

acksman

So glad mainstream media does not pick up on all these quips. These type of shenanigans from both sides hold back and leave a juvenile stigma of video game hobby on the main public. It may be in fun and if this is the target they want to address, good luck growing your products beyond the current base.

I'm so glad to see this console do good. I'm usually a Nintendo only guy, but the ps4 really seems like a great console. And this also proves that there's a future in console gaming

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I don't even want to reply to the people who quoted me. This thread scares me.

kyser73

Lol You need to calm the fuck down. I'm merely suggesting a tiny change that would highlight thread title edits. Not every edit is a joke. Some are informative and other relate directly to the previous thread title and only make sense to those that knew the title before the edit.

Take some valium before you reply.

I think he's Australian, and still pissed at the ruling coalition party declaring that putting fibre lines in every home would be a 'waste of money' and has The Rage whenever he thinks about it.

Which is wholly understandable.

I've only been here a few months, and this thread has totally delivered on 'Clear OP & previous posts haven't been read.' responses plus hugely funny windups.

Each company is going to throw skewed statistics out to make them selves look like king of the mountain early own. None of the are lies, they just a half-truths and moments in time. Why you guys feel the need to debate them and feel so invested in them is sad.

I don't mind when other companies do it, just microsoft.

Top Bottom