• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Avery Passes Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erehtih

ah shit this is really sad. I'm never upset when someone I don't know personally dies but man did this one make me sad..

No, no, no, no, not Uncle Phil!

One of the greatest tv dads, ever.

I grew up watching Fresh Prince as kid when it aired new episodes on NBC and constantly on syndication after school, easily one of my favorites shows of all time. He was the kind of dad that was scary to cross but in the end you just knew he loved you no matter what.

Too young, he's only a year younger than my dad. :(

RcoXs0C.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnVhQrNTQgY

Linsies

Jada Pinkett Smith statement, from her Facebook:

"Happy New Year everyone! I was hoping to start the new year differently but we have lost yet another friend. James Avery who we all lovingly know as Uncle Phil from The Fresh Prince has passed.

"Our condolences to aunt Florence (his mother), Miss Barbara (his wife) and all those who loved him. Rest in peace James."

Vibranium

Banned
Man, Fresh Prince is one of the only sitcoms that I ever watched, and Uncle Phil was just so inspiring and like a real dad. And kicking Jazz out never got old man, best show ever.

Rest in peace Mr. Avery, thanks for all the memories (and as Shredder too!) and you'll live on in a lot of people's memories.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Heard the news this morning. It's weird, the man was like a father to me and I think most of my generation. He has brought laughter, joy and sensibility into this world, I just hope he realized how many hearts he touched with that bellowing laugh.

The Chemistry between the principal cast of FP will probably never be topped. Felt so genuine that I felt like I was watching a REAL family.

Newline

This put a total downer on my birthday, God why did this have to happen. 65 is too young for this great man, brought me so much joy as a kid. ; (

Madness

Been watching Fresh Prince, such a good show, touched on a variety of topics without getting preachy or hokey. And was nice after the Cosby show to have an all black family be portrayed positively, same goes for Family Matters.

Great actor, great show. He will be missed.

That scene damn....so much emotion. Either they are both fantastic actors or there was some real emotions behind that.

Re-watched this today & genuinely had tears streaking down my face. I don't remember that scene being so powerful as a kid. Damn. I haven't had a proper cry in years :/

Apoc29

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom