• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Wrestler Bray Wyatt (Windham Rotunda) Passes Away at 36

The stupid fucking business needs to spend more time on the welfare of its wrestlers both physically and mentally. Vince has got away for far too long treating them like shit.

RIP. Should never have happened.
Am I missing something? It said he died of a heart attack.

DKehoe

The stupid fucking business needs to spend more time on the welfare of its wrestlers both physically and mentally. Vince has got away for far too long treating them like shit.

RIP. Should never have happened.
The rosters are so huge now that they could easily cycle people in and out. Give the wrestlers periods away from the ring where they can rest up both physically and mentally. It would also help keep them fresh for the audience too since they wouldn't be constantly on and running through every possible storyline/feud.

To be fair, in Wyatt's case they had given him a bunch of time off recently.

FunkMiller

The guy had heart disease, caught COVID, and died of a heart attack.

...which rather suggests, at 36, his underlying health problem was very serious - that a healthcare programme might have better covered and handled.

I've watched all eight seasons of House. I'm an expert.

Gregory House Coffee GIF by PeacockTV

Last edited:

ManaByte

...which rather suggests, at 36, his underlying health problem was very serious - that a healthcare programme might have better covered and handled.

He was a big guy.

Last edited:

WoJ

I was never a fan of his as a wrestler but this still really hit me hard. Dirt sheets kept reporting he had a life threatening illness and I assumed it was all a smokescreen because his disappearance from TV coincided with Vince coming back and Vince was known to not be a fan of his.

I got out of wrestling in the 90s because we didn't have cable TV so I missed the majority of the attitude era. I got back into wrestling around 2003. Bray is the first guy in the businesss I can think of who I watched pretty much from day 1 (good old Husky Harris). To see him pass away so out of the blue with a wife and young kids is really sad. By all accounts he was a really good guy too. I've never heard or read anything bad about him on a personal level. Such a sad sad situation.

The WWE has not properly taken care of its wrestlers in its entire history. They should all have healthcare, considering what they do, and what they go through to put millions in Vince's bank account..
The way I read your post made it sound like he offed himself.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
He had time off because he was seriously ill with COVID complications.

Probably myocarditis, as that's how viral infections sometimes manifest in otherwise fit and healthy people. A severe infection is pretty scary and not just because of how it can interrupt electrical function or scar the heart muscle, it can create a whole host of respiratory and circulatory problems.

ManaByte

Probably myocarditis, as that's how viral infections sometimes manifest in otherwise fit and healthy people. A severe infection is pretty scary and not just because of how it can interrupt electrical function or scar the heart muscle, it can create a whole host of respiratory and circulatory problems.
Myocarditis is something that mostly affects young males, something Bray was not. But anti-vaxxers have turned it into a buzzword to claim it’s why literally anyone vaccinated died. He also wasn’t healthy. He had heart disease.

gow3isben

No matter how good healthcare is if you have heart problems, get a very bad case of Covid and abuse steroids anything can happen.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Myocarditis is something that mostly affects young males, something Bray was not. But anti-vaxxers have turned it into a buzzword to claim it’s why literally anyone vaccinated died. He also wasn’t healthy. He had heart disease.

36 is young, and as a pro wrestler I doubt if he had some major pre-existing degenerative heart issues WWE would have considered putting him back in the ring, which by all accounts was planned.

Who said anything about vaccines? Myocarditis is associated with viral infections -its inflammation of the heart muscle after all- and is a form of disease than can be both chronic and acute.

If as stated by reports he had a brush with COVID, and that triggered the issue, then it sounds like it was acute condition. Especially as contrary to what might seem intuitive, upper respiratory problems are often caused by cardiac conditions and not the other way around. I know this because I was taking care of somebody very close to me that died due to this.

So please, stop putting words in my mouth. There is no political point here.

Last edited:
The WWE has not properly taken care of its wrestlers in its entire history. They should all have healthcare, considering what they do, and what they go through to put millions in Vince's bank account..
The guy had heart disease, caught COVID, and died of a heart attack.
There's no reason to go back and forth here because both of you are right. Bray Wyatt's death was probably unavoidable regardless of healthcare, and at the same time WWE has an awful healthcare system that has been a known issue for years. Many wrestlers who have retired, left to other organizations, who have gone back to indie wrestling shows, and even former big-name stars, have all mentioned this and/or implied it.

Since everything in WWE is so based on personality, momentum, and hype, the minute a big draw gets an injury that's a lot of money flushing down the toilet for the company. So what do they do? They can't delay a show, so they bandage them up a little and increase the drugs 🤷‍♂️

lethial

Reeeeeeee

Had to chime in, I have heart disease and very fit (not as big as Bray though lol). When I had COVID my cardiologist was in contact with me on a bi-daily basis. No matter what health care you can have, heart disease can do something in an instance without warning. Eating a jalapeno could do something as well as a sneeze. Just food for thought before saying he needed better health care.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Angelcurio

Definitely a one of a kind wrestler, and one of my favorites of all time thanks to him having a lot of interesting and creative ideas for his faction /character, he will really be missed. Besides the now retired Undertaker, i don´t see anyone with this kind of talent for creating characters.

What makes it harder for me as a fan was that he was younger than me, and he had a really young family. I really feel for his wife and kids.

Top Bottom