• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Harden, Houston Rockets Agree to Biggest Contract in NBA History

see5harp

As much money as that might sound, think about the kind of money these owners already control. I side with idiots like Gilbert arenas and swaggy p over rich assholes with billions in assets. The guy who bought the warriors for a half billion now owns a franchise worth substantially more. I don't want to hear crying over luxury taxes or none of that shit.

It's a shame he'll always underdeliver in the playoffs for the length of his contract. But hey, for the regular season he is golden.

Dynomutt

Harden is extremely overrated.

But he ain't underpaid!
tumblr_ombi0feruf1s3gys4o1_400.gif

Now if the doctor that fixed his grill can do the same for his defense then we may have a problem.

Umbooki

Gotta pay up when you have a franchise player. I'm not too sure about giving up depth for an aging CP3, but we'll see how that plays out.

Cheebo

Banned
that's true, but the salary cap is also a lot tighter
It's a lot tighter in part because there is a lot less money. The NHL is much much much much less popular than the NBA. NHL has literally no market outside of the US and Canada. NBA is extremely popular worldwide. Especially in growing markets like China.

overcast

Rockets just fleeced themselves. Not worth it
When you have a top 5 player in the league who you can build a franchise around you keep him.

If the rockets didn't have Harden they wouldn't compete for the next few years cmon son. Absolutely deserving.

As much money as that might sound, think about the kind of money these owners already control. I side with idiots like Gilbert arenas and swaggy p over rich assholes with billions in assets. The guy who bought the warriors for a half billion now owns a franchise worth substantially more. I don't want to hear crying over luxury taxes or none of that shit.
Why are you mad at them? The luxury tax is a self imposed system by the owners themselves, you know that right?

LQX

Worth it. As much criticism as he gets he has made the Rockets relevant and popular again. And great players actually want to go there again.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Jesus Christ, why wasn't I born with godlike athletic ability.

Im in the "earned it" camp, dont know how I feel about "deserve" it though. I work just as hard lol.

shira

As a whole the NBA brings in around $8 billion a year and if you were to combine all 30 teams payroll it would probably be like $3 billion. Still a lot of money left on the table for the players... so don't feel bad for the owners

I feel bad for the fans.

Half the league is tanking for draft picks
Officiating is horrible and rigged.
End of games become a free throw timeout contest.

The global/Chinese audience must love watching Golden State or LeBron highlights, but the grind of watching a full season or paying for season tickets for a non-playoff team is crazy to me.

rainz

Happy for him.
Dude has taken his game to the next level the past few years since going to Houston. Literally made me follow that team again. Hoping he can use the dissapointments in playoffs as fuel to get even better and step up this next year..

Also he is actually a pretty nice guy too, and had a hell of a tough road growing up...Watch the ESPN 60 Behind The Beard on him if you haven't its damn good...

Messi

Get that money James.

N5O8X_s-200x150.gif

Happy for him.
Dude has taken his game to the next level the past few years since going to Houston. Literally made me follow that team again. Hoping he can use the dissapointments in playoffs as fuel to get even better and step up this next year..

Also he is actually a pretty nice guy too, and had a hell of a tough road growing up...Watch the ESPN 60 Behind The Beard on him if you haven't its damn good...

The bit about his mother...my goodness you can see it in his face.

OKC Fucked up letting him go. They'd have a championship
It wasn't that easy. If James had been okay with another sixth man year I think they would have kept him. He was grumbling about that. San Antonio was the model for building and he didn't fit that model.
Now where it gets more interesting is if he hadn't gone to Houston I think we would have had a bigger shot. Him being in Houston led to Beverly getting involved in the accident that hurt Russ's knee. I'd argue OKC still had a chance after trading him until that moment.
All that considered he made the right move seeking a bigger role because it's paid handsomely but If he hadn't been starter or bust for another season or two he'd have a ring or two and a max contract now.
I don't think people remember how he disappeared against the heat for most of the finals and that he seemed to be becoming a trouble player. All of that added up to aoKC not stretching back then to keep him.
And it looked like Ibaka was the more unique player to keep.

theWB27

0aG3u65.png

Yes he is tremendously overrated. He plays zero defense and doesn't show up in the playoffs when it matters.

Could a better player than Harden be acquired? They must love those types of players though...Chris Paul is worse at your last point than Harden.

Smart gambit here.. harden is a top 5-10 player. Better to lock him in now than have him potentially bolt for nothing in 2 years. Not only that, but he was able to convince point god to join him. I don't see why people are mad about this.

Good for him, but these contracts have been fucking ridiculous this off-season. Not saying he isn't worth it, but it still blows my mind.

iirc Harden was fine with the 6th man role but not with the amount of money OKC offered. OKC decided to trade him rather than pay him over Kendrick Perkins
The only Perkins option was amnesty. His contract was in place. It was Ibaka and Harden up at the same time. He had been grumbling about six man. I have Thunder season tickets and there was low key unease with it. He wanted to start even if he said it was okay.
If they had maxed what they could on him he probably would have been okay for a year but he would have been unhappy. He had a chance for more money with another team and when they didn't offer the max they could he didn't sign and they traded.
I still think a trade was the right move with that current info and ability but a better one was probably possible. After he left he become got way better though and the league changed from San Antonio dominant to Warriors dominant where focusing on Ibaka first was a bad call.
Edit: that's how I remember it.

Top Bottom