• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Japan] As Switch comes after PS4, Sony should be worried

I mean, you obviously would because of the western market and western PS4 install base, but I wouldn't be surprised if switch was the target platform in japan for a lot of games.

A lot is vague. The vita is the target platform for many Japanese games like Digimon: Cyber Sleuth, Hatsune Miku, Ys VIII, Danganronpa 3, etc. but these games have limited Western appeal. That could happen with certain Switch games too, no reason why not. But the next Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, whatever the hell From Soft makes, etc. are not going to target the Switch.

I think the idea that "Sony will be fine" because "they're dominating worldwide" is dismissive of their current position in the Japanese market.

It's also possible the Switch isn't nearly as successful as people are assuming, which would also make a revisit to this thread 12 months ago fascinating. So, either way, I'm looking forward to what happens over the next year.

The Switch selling better than the ps4 in Japan is expected.

This thread is about Sony being terrified about that. That's why it is getting this response

"Worried" and "terrified" aren't the same thing.

Particularly since Switch doesn't look like a convenient enough device for on-the-go gaming to compete with smartphones and tablets. If anything, I wonder if Nintendo shouldn't be worried about losing their faithful handheld audience with this move.

I think they've considered this possibility hence why for now they refuse to admit that this means the end of their handheld products. If it does do significant damage in that field they'll likely just make another dedicated handheld.

wtd2009

if the switch can continue to offer some great exclusives I don't think the hardware or concept is really going to have much of an impact. it seems that for every person praising it there is another describing how this doesn't fit into another's lifestyle or needs. but what do I know.

Nintendo fanboys scare me and I used to be a big one, we've had a 3 minute trailer and a few leaks of games which are mostly ports and somehow the Switch is an amazing success.

Let's see if Nintendo addressed the many failings of the Wii U and 3DS before we declare any successes.

I think the idea that "Sony will be fine" because "they're dominating worldwide" is dismissive of their current position in the Japanese market.
But why would Sony be worried of the Switch doing well? Sony have sold 50 million PS4, of which less than 4 million were sold in Japan. That's pretty awful already, the Switch has no bearing on their struggle in Japan this generation. Sony aren't concerned about the handheld market, just consoles, which are pretty much pointless in the current market. They should have been worried about mobile games 4 years ago, if they cared about the Japanese market, but they're making some strides to improve their standing there.

Mostly I don't see any reality where a machine that will be primarily advertised as a handheld in Japan would worry Sony any more than their already lacklustre performance in the home console market.

On the topic of games, if developers want to target the larger markets in the West, the PS4 is the obvious choice regardless of what happens in March. PS4/Switch seems to me to be the most lucrative place to out your games. Devs won't give up a 50m user Base if they're looking West.

Sorry about the editing.

BuggyMike

I am sure that Switch can succeed in Japan and have respectable third party support but I really don't see why Sony would care about this. Japan represents about 7.5% of global PS4 sales. It's not a major market for Sony. As long as PS4 continues to kill it globally those few Japanese AAA third party games will continue to be released on PS4. Heck even Xbox One still gets them despite being far smaller success globally and being non factor in Japan.

Well there's the potential that the Switches success in japan will result in more Japanese titles making their way to the west on the platform. It's not how small the market is in japan, but how important some japanese publishers are to the west. We could see more partnerships with Bandai, Capcom, SE etc which is amazing for japan, but would also result in the West getting a lot of the games as a result, which will intern make Nintendo's platform more attractive.

Anyone dismissing this is simply overlooking how terrible it is for Sony to have only just scraped by the WiiU despite how much of a disaster at every level that system was

Sony simply has not released much software in the last three years that appeals much to Japanese gamers. FFXV and persona 5 are great but they took forever.. and there are more games on the way but seemingly all the notable jrpgs have taken a millennia to release on this thing

"But the console market is dying,"

Good thing the Switch is actually designed in a way that tries to address that seeing as how it isn't a typical "console". The portability aspect could be huge.

The 3ds sits at nearly 20 million in Japan; and if Nintendo gets a lot of the series that helped push 3ds to those sorts of numbers on there, like Pokémon, Animal Crossing, Yokai Watch, Dragon Quest and Monster hunter; its certainly positioned to do better than people on here are implying it has any chance to

But then again it's Neogaf and positivity about Nintendos strategy and future isn't allowed here

But why would Sony be worried of the Switch doing well? Sony have sold 50 million PS4, of which less than 4 million were sold in Japan. That's pretty awful already, the Switch has no bearing on their struggle in Japan this generation. Sony aren't concerned about the handheld market, just consoles, which are pretty much pointless in the current market. They should have been worried about mobile games 4 years ago, if they cared about the Japanese market, but they're making some strides to improve their standing there.

Mostly I don't see any reality where a machine that will be primarily advertised as a handheld in Japan would worry Sony any more than their already lacklustre performance in the home console market.

If the Switch were simply a Wii U replacement and if Nintendo weren't heavily investing in mobile, I would agree with you. But because of these two factors, I think Sony should be concerned about their future prospects in Japan.

And of course Sony is dominating worldwide. I really do not see that changing anytime soon. This thread isn't about that though.

Oregano

Sony had nothing to worry about. I also think the fact that some of Forwardworks first projects are Nippon Ichi ports is a sign of how they'll keep developers on side.

Expect to see PS4/Pc/Mobile releases a lot going forward.

Really?

ChVAiFIW0AEA-SB.jpg

"unprecedented success"

This thread is discussing the Japanese market. That graph shows worldwide numbers. Though it has not performed as well overseas, 3DS sits at over 21mm units in Japan. (Plus, those DS numbers are absolutely insane.)

Waning FY16 sales is why I claimed "3DS desperately needs its successor."

One would have to be very naive to think Japanese third parties do not look at global performance when looking at platforms for their games, as said games have relied on foreign markets more and more over the past years.

Breads

Banned
They don't compete in the same space. Sony has nothing to worry about nor did it ever*

:edit:

*: As far as Nintendo goes. Home console trends on the otherhand are absolutely dire - that much is true. Sony is absolutely defenseless here.

Playstation 4 is ahead of the Playstaton 3.

While the WiiU is dead and the 3DS is the first Nintendo handheld with declining sales to previous handhelds.
Possible that the PS4 will find a small niche - big enough to provide the PS brand with enough unique Japanese games for the international market, while a mobile device like the Switch suffers from the mobile market way more than a stationary console.

pswii60

Switch gives Japanese developers a chance to continue doing everything they already do and know, all in one place, on a platform which is an extremely safe bet.
Extremely safe bet and 'one place' is a stretch at this point.

Switch is hardly portable like DS/3DS (it's not going to fit in your jacket pocket), and it's thicker than a tablet, and still competing with smartphones.

The fact is, most people are satisfied with smartphone and/or tablet gaming when they're on the go, and they're happy to leave the more substantial console gaming experience at home (as evidenced by Vita).

One would have to be very naive to think Japanese third parties do not look at global performance when looking at platforms for their games, as said games have realised on foreign markets more and more over the past years.

Of course Japanese third parties look at the international audience when greenlighting and developing games. That has little to no bearing on how well Sony's platform is doing in Japan.

With all the energy a lot of you guys are putting into the switch I hope it don't flop like the wiiu.

I'm honestly far less interested in Nintendo's upcoming performance in Japan and far more interested in what Sony will do to compete in that part of the world. I'm extremely curious about their mobile initiatives, as I believe, outside of a handful of software titles (like Dragon Quest), they're going to only occupy a small console niche in Japan.

Tadaima

But why would Sony be worried of the Switch doing well? Sony have sold 50 million PS4, of which less than 4 million were sold in Japan. That's pretty awful already, the Switch has no bearing on their struggle in Japan this generation. Sony aren't concerned about the handheld market, just consoles, which are pretty much pointless in the current market.

The Japanese market is highly productive. A lot of titles that give Sony the edge in international markets, such as Metal Gear, Souls, and Final Fantasy, come from their domestic market.

I am not suggesting that Sony will lose these titles, but rather that developers will have more options on the table. This may come at a cost to Sony, and they may have less leverage up against rivals internationally.

Monster Hunter is a good example of a PlayStation-exclusive title which Nintendo pocketed, and will likely show up alongside Pokémon, Dragon Quest, Yokai Watch, and Mario on Switch. Other exclusives can and will go the same way, which is why I believe Sony should be/is worried.

inner-G

Banned
Isn't it tied to a card game platform? I'm genuinely curious how well that does.
Yes.

They announced a bunch of other stuff too, like Breath of Fire and Minna no Golf that could be big in japan.

The Yokai is a card game, but it shows that they're going to do some local multiplayer stuff too. It isn't a 100% match for the Switch, but it uses technology people already have and will have some crossover I'd think.

NSESN

Playstation 4 is ahead of the Playstaton 3.

While the WiiU is dead and the 3DS is the first Nintendo handheld with declining sales to previous handhelds.
Possible that the PS4 will find a small niche - big enough to provide the PS brand with enough unique Japanese games for the international market, while a mobile device like the Switch suffers from the mobile market way more than a stationary console.
Gba was down from GB, and looking at FFXV sales i am not dure of your last point.

Noobcraft

The Japanese console market seems more or less irrelevant at this point. If the Switch is successful there that would be fantastic, but I don't know how realistic that is.

Quonny

No, they shouldn't be worried, because Japan is a small part of a global marketplace. Even Japanese games are only a small part of the global market. Monster releases like Final Fantasy or Dark Souls (seriously took me a good thirty seconds to even think of a second big Japanese franchise) don't really matter.

Game development is way less Japanese-centric and will continue to become so. Even if Switch is a massive hit it will take a dozen years before anything shifts.

Mahonay

Banned
With all the energy a lot of you guys are putting into the switch I hope it don't flop like the wiiu.
They'd have to try pretty hard to do worse than the Wii U, globally at least.

But hoping for Japan to help carry the Switch seems a little misguided, considering the current state of the console market in Japan. Even if the Switch can be taken on the go, it's still a home console at the end of the day.

Maxinas

Why would Sony be worried? In fact, they'd be grateful that papa Nintendo would make a comeback and save the declining market in Japan.
A pipe-dream, but it would benefit both Sony and Nintendo.

Of course Japanese third parties look at the international audience when greenlighting and developing games. That has little to no bearing on how well Sony's platform is doing in Japan.

1) It inherently does as it results in better Japanese third party support

2) OP's central point is Sony should be scared for some reason as third parties could find a new home, failing to realise PS4 has an install base of 50m and continues selling tremendously well: Switch ain't going to replace that global reach.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Well there's the potential that the Switches success in japan will result in more Japanese titles making their way to the west on the platform. It's not how small the market is in japan, but how important some japanese publishers are to the west. We could see more partnerships with Bandai, Capcom, SE etc which is amazing for japan, but would also result in the West getting a lot of the games as a result, which will intern make Nintendo's platform more attractive.

Japanese games haven't sold well in the west this gen. They're a largely irrelevant market. RE7 will likely continue this trend. Sony doesn't care about Japan beyond the free exclusives it provides because Xbox is dead over their, they didn't even launch the PS4 there in there same year as their major markets.

I don't think Sony are strategically concerned with Japan, or have been for quite some time. PlayStation operates out of America now, and is focusing on western and emerging markets.

1) It inherently does as it results in better Japanese third party support

2) OP's central point is Sony should be scared for some reason as third parties could find a new home, failing to realise PS4 has an install base of 50m and continues selling tremendously well: Switch ain't going to replace that global reach.

Ok, your second point I agree with.

Top Bottom