• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan is lining up again, this time for Pokémon XY!

Vire

Right but that's lifetime sales. Older pokemon games have and always will have very long shelf lives.

Compare Black and White's first year to Diamond and Pearls.

Anteo

Is Pokemon no longer for kids any more? All I see is adults

Genuine question

Was it ever for kids? The very first one was a really cool rpg. All of the main entries are rpg really.
And you can battle other players unlike most rpgs

Yamauchi

Banned
To compare these games to GTA V seems strange to me. GTA V had a budget of over $250 million with "much more" than 1,000 people working on it. I'd reckon Pokemon X & Y had a budget in the region of $30 million, so it's going to be a huge cash cow regardless.

wmlk

Is Pokemon no longer for kids any more? All I see is adults

Genuine question

04l.jpg

05l.jpg

06l.jpg

Fireblend

Banned
Was it ever for kids? The very first one was a really cool rpg. All of the main entries are rpg really.
And you can battle other players unlike most rpgs
Uh, yes. That's like saying Avatar isn't a kid's show because it was a really cool cartoon.

Kangi

Right but that's lifetime sales. Older pokemon games have and always will have very long shelf lives.

Compare Black and White's first year to Diamond and Pearls.

And if anything that doesn't bode well for X and Y because that indicates interest in Pokemon is going down over the years.

Moving them goalposts right along, eh?

"Won't sell half as well as B&W". Yeah, good luck with that prediction.

Vire

Feel free to post the numbers

Futhermore, what they are arguing actually hurts the case that X and Y will do as well as previous iterations because we have seen drop off in each new release.

Why couldn't Black/White outdo Diamond/Pearl when Diamond and Pearl had 40 million users and Black/White had 130 million DS users at the time of their release?

That would indicate that interest in Pokemon has gone down over the years and each title is selling less.

Moving them goalposts right along, eh?

"Won't sell half as well as B&W". Yeah, good luck with that prediction.

I don't mean lifetime, I mean in the initial goings. Which I stand by.

To compare these games to GTA V seems strange to me. GTA V had a budget of over $250 million with "much more" than 1,000 people working on it. I'd reckon Pokemon X & Y had a budget in the region of $30 million, so it's going to be a huge cash cow regardless.
I highly doubt it's even $30 million with marketing budget factored in. Game Freak is 90 people, of which about 80 actually worked on X and Y, with a few people from the Treehouse to do faster localization. Sure, it's the first time Pokemon has done 3D graphics, but even that was relatively simple and humble versus what the system can really pull off. Considering that games like Uncharted and Gears of War 2 had budgets in the 10-20 million range with marketing factored in, I'd have to guess that X and Y had a budget under ten million. Maybe even under five, but that might be selling it a bit short.

And these games are guaranteed to rake in incredibly handsome profits day one and beyond for at least a year or two.

Man I wish I was still into Pokemon. Playing Red as a kid was one of the greatest experiences ever. I tried one of the DS versions and was bored. Maybe because I don't know these new pokemon. I knew the first 150 by heart!

Calamari41

41 > 38
Futhermore, what they are arguing actually hurts the case that X and Y will do as well as previous iterations because we have seen drop off in each new release.

Why couldn't Black/White outdo Diamond/Pearl when Diamond and Pearl had 40 million users and Black/White had 130 million DS users at the time of their release?

That would indicate that interest in Pokemon has gone down over the years and each title is selling less.

No, I was asking you to post the numbers for DP's first year and BW's first year.

Anteo

Uh, yes. That's like saying Avatar isn't a kid's show because it was a really cool cartoon.

I dont know, when I think of Red and Blue (or green) I dont think it's a game for kids unlike games like FF, however it was marketed for kids with the anime series and other stuff.

wmlk

Because the sentiment was that Gen V was a stopgap iteration before VI.

Linkyn

So why is it that Nintendo always releases two versions of the same Pokemon game? I've always wondered that.

To incentivise trading. Having to interact with other players despite limited connectivity capabilities was always at the heart of the Pokémon franchise, even more so than battling.

Sats

Banned

I don't mean lifetime, I mean in the initial goings (1 year). Which I stand by.

You're forgetting that X/Y have raised interest back up substantially

Kangi

Or that Diamond and Pearl exploded and broke records for the series, and what followed didn't reach the same heights due to differing circumstances, but still sold incredibly well as all Pokemon games do.

X & Y are still getting an absurd amount of hype. So as I said, good luck.

Vire

Because the sentiment was that Gen V was a stopgap iteration before VI.

Stopgap? The game featured 150 some odd new Pokemon.

There was a lot of new things to be had. If anything Pearl and Diamond was the stopgap.
You're forgetting that X/Y have raised interest back up substantially

Has it? Based on what? The number of posts in a Neogaf spoiler thread?

wmlk

There was a lot of new things to be had. If anything Pearl and Diamond was the stopgap.

"sentiment"

I mean seriously, if you compare gen 4 and 5 there's really not that much of a difference compared to the transition between every other gen

Exactly. If you are part of the Pokémon community you would remember how everyone (including myself) felt.

Vire

Or that Diamond and Pearl exploded and broke records for the series, and what followed didn't reach the same heights due to differing circumstances, but still sold incredibly well as all Pokemon games do.

X & Y are still getting an absurd amount of hype. So as I said, good luck.

Differing circumstances being interest not as high?...

I'm not sure what those circumstances are, but the install base was 3 times as much, it should have and could have outsold Diamond easily.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Differing circumstances being interest not as high?...

I'm not sure what those circumstances are, but the install base was 3 times as much, it should have and could have outsold Diamond easily.

So what are you getting at? Pokemon is on the way out or something?

Sats

Banned
If I had a dollar for every person I've seen say they are buying a 3DS for Pokemon, or they haven't played a Pokemon game since Gen 1/2/3' but are getting this one, I would probably be rich.

I don't mean lifetime, I mean in the initial goings. Which I stand by.
Gen IV and V to a greater degree had issues with franchise fatigue. Black and White started off with a poor reception that was largely rooted in a perceived lack of changes to the metagame, being stuck on the same system as the previous generation of Pokemon titles (an unheard of precedent at the time), and using a largely similar graphics approach to the previous generation. X and Y are the first fully 3D titles in the series with a laundry list of meta game alterations on a level not seen since the second iterations in the series, and has a massive hype train behind it in comparison to what Black and White had.

BW was met with tepid indifference in the months before launch, while X and Y has actually been drawing large amounts of mainstream interest and older fans back into the fold.

Diamond and Pearl, by comparison, was seen and marketed as the answer to the middling reception of the Gen III games and also saw its share of a hype train.

Ashodin

I'd say the number of views in the NeoGAF spoiler thread. Considering this website is linked to hell and back across the internet, the staggering amount of views on the thread should be a huge indication.

Raw64life

Sort of for me. Was fanatical over it when Red/Blue came out. Then didn't play another one until Diamond. Wasn't crazy about it but it was a good game and I poured a good 60 hours into it. I'll play one every decade. 1997, 2007, I'll play Pokemon A/B in 2017.

Riki

No, I said that Pokemon X and Y will sell 8-10 million lifetime. Does that sound like it's on its way out to you?

Most games would kill to have those numbers.

It's just a fad. Come on. Anyone can see that!

If I had a dollar for every person I've seen say they are buying a 3DS for Pokemon, or they haven't played a Pokemon game since Gen 1/2/3' but are getting this one, I would probably be rich.

This is me. Haven't played one since Blue but really want X!

Vire

I'd say the number of views in the NeoGAF spoiler thread. Considering this website is linked to hell and back across the internet, the staggering amount of views on the thread should be a huge indication.

NeoGAF is not a good indication of anything relevant in terms of sales data.

NeoGAF is the place where Ico/Shadow of The Colossus are one of the greatest games ever made and Kinect is absolute garbage.

Yet Shadow of The Colossus/Ico barely break a million in sales, meanwhile Kinect sells over 29 million units.

Looking at this really makes me wonder why Nintendo don't just make a pokemon rpg for the Wii-U. Yeah, I get it, pokemon is best played on handhelds... But it doesn't change the fact this franchise moves consoles.

Mario as an entire franchise is nearing a billion units sold (~800 million). GTA is well over 100 million, but somewhere below Pokemon's 250 million units sold as an entire franchise. There's no doubt that GTA outdoes the mainline Mario games individually, but as a whole Mario is a much larger franchise. Mario Kart Wii outsold the best selling individual GTA game (San Andreas, something like 27 million units versus 33 million for MKWii), even if that was a freak accident. So no, GTA is not bigger.

It's certainly more relevant to the modern gaming industry, though.

Yes, only because Mario has been around longer and has 2-3 games per year. I certainly don't see any Mario game outselling a GTA now.

Top Bottom