• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan is lining up again, this time for Pokémon XY!

rouken

Same exact spot:

Taken 30 mins before stores opened on Oct 10th for the Vita 2000 launch
2fI8Itjl.jpg

One day later for Pokemon X/Y
l_5258b96a9a28a_zpsdbd0e667.jpg

i lol'd

DR2K

Banned
There's really nothing more entertaining than seeing people scream like idiots and run to their cars speeding like hell. Don't think I've ever seen a midnight sale more enthusiastic.

nordique

Im interested in this game. I loved Pokemon back on the game boy and I did do the Remakes of red/blue on gba and gold/silver on DS cause I had amazing memories of those games. They were still fun to play.

It made me check out the main series again with black and white, which I did enjoy as well.

There seems to be so much new stuff in X and Y that I will look forward to potentially checking it out post exams.

baekshi

Banned
This what a line was like at NWS in nyc
IFTuO9d.png

No pics though, my phone battery was near dead. I was just passing by to see the line, was surprised so I decided to go around see and how long it was. Line was moving fast and so were more people getting on line.

Seriously why people does that ? we are not talking about something that is available only in a very limited number, even if it goes sold out now, in 1-2 weeks you will be able to buy it .

Not to mention e-commerce.....

Every time I see this I cannot help to shake my head in disbelief .

Sadist

Seriously why people does that ? we are not talking about something that is available only in a very limited number, even if it goes sold out now, in 1-2 weeks you will be able to buy it .

No fun allowed.jpg
For some it's a happening, let them.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

It's an event and people like events? Plus, consider the amount of streetpasses!

But really, it's an event and people are social creatures. Not hard to figure out.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Why not? The atmosphere is awesome when you sees everyone getting excited in the line and discussing about the game. Not to mention making some new 3ds friends, streetpass, and playing some multiplayer games with the strangers in the line. Its like a party.

It's an event and people like events? Plus, consider the amount of streetpasses!

But really, it's an event and people are social creatures. Not hard to figure out.

Ok ... I never even thought that lining up to buy a pokemon videogame could be consider as a social event.

Actually in my mind this was rather the opposite of a social event ....

dc89

The first console which gives you a virtual queue which moves on the screen whilst you download instead of just a boring % bar wins next gen.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I don't think it'll sell the same amount as the past generation of Pokemon because the DS has a much larger install base.

I'm betting probably 8-10 million lifetime sales. Which is still incredible.

Every mainline release has done well over 10 million so Im not sure why it would change now. Hell even the rereleases have done over 10 million.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Ok ... I never even thought that lining up to buy a pokemon videogame could be consider as a social event.

You have more room to socialize there than downloading the game at home and then playing it with a faceless opponent...

Maybe you have never been to a concert or an event many people are looking forward to.

Well going to a concert / live event is rather different from lining up to buy a game....

The former might involve some lining up to enter the area, but then there is there the actual performance. And in this case, if you want to actually see the event, you have no choice.....

The latter, you line up , buy and then go home/ go play on your own. And the line is avoidable while still having the possibility to play the game.

I mean, I do not know in what kind of lines have you been, but for me usually are never fun or social. People is pissed because is waiting for a long time, I am pissed because I am waiting for a long time.... not a particularly pleasant experience

And from the pictures it does not look like those people are having a blast of fun neither to be honest

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It's also sad to see that they took a step backwards from the more daring and possibly "dark", Black and White storyline to the more traditional and familiar adventure Pokemon story.

Who gives a shit about the story's depth or supposed darkness/maturity?

Prax

I'll be buying it when the store opens at 10 or whatever. lol I really hope there's not much of a lineup. But I also hope for streetpasses, so hrmmm..

Thoraxes

Seeing worldwide lines for a game all in the same 24 hours warms my heart.

I think only Nintendo can pull of something of this magnitude, and it warms my gamer heart to see everyone all out there.

Why are there no children? Don't kids love Pokémon anymore? I know it's not as crazy popular as 15 years ago but I thought it was still very popular with kids.

blamite

It's cool when people who are all united by the fact that they all like the same thing come together in one place for the same reason.

Like GAF. But in real life!

Why are there no children? Don't kids love Pokémon anymore? I know it's not as crazy popular as 15 years ago but I thought it was still very popular with kids.

Do you really expect children to be waiting in line for a video game a whole day before it releases? They probably dont even have the attention span to last that long and they'd have to be supervised most likely by their parents. And from what I've seen any parent with a kid would not go through all that trouble of waiting in a line like that, especially for one video game. Prelaunch Lines are almost always teenagers - young adults.

Because their parents buy games for them.

Nice parents, lucky kids! ;-)

Do you really expect children to be waiting in line for a video game a whole day before it releases? They probably dont even have the attention span to last that long and they'd have to be supervised most likely by their parents. And from what I've seen any parent with a kid would not go through all that trouble of waiting in a line like that, especially for one video game. Prelaunch Lines are almost always teenagers - young adults.

I didn't know those people have been standing there since yesterday, that's crazy. I thought it was just today because it's release day. Yeah, in that case it's understandable to not find children there.

Me personally, I just order my games with release day delivery so I can just walk to my mailbox with my morning coffee in my hand. I would never have the patience for this ;-)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
DS has around 150 million units sold worldwide to date.

3DS has sold 33 Million worldwide to date.

X and Y won't do half the numbers that Black and White did.

You still have to factor in that some will buy a 3DS for the first time along with their new Pokemon.

I was so tired when I arrived home, but here are some photos of the lines in São Paulo midnight launch. Sorry for the bad quality of the photos, my battery was dying and I needed the GPS on my phone to go back home. lol

The game started selling at 12:01 A.M....
KbgEZFi.jpg
rLtCxsU.jpg

I was at the corner of the stairs when I took those.
k6R4NH7.jpg

CW9xxXP.jpg
PBGCb8x.jpg

The people in the upper part and in the bottom are in the line.
ufOZIOq.jpg

...and here are the people outside when I left at 2 A.M.

and we could only buy one copy per person, with 8 counters selling the game.

Top Bottom