• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan: Nintendo Account launching today, official blog launched too

fernoca

Can people download their current library in other systems now? Or is like starting all over again?
Not starting over.
At the moment, is just a merge. Unifying the account system, so you can login with ease across any platform including mobile; even with just your Facebook account.

More things were mentioned later, like cloud saving.

rpmurphy

Can people download their current library in other systems now? Or is like starting all over again?
There's not much in terms of management yet. You link your NNID to this account and at the moment, all there is here is you can view your transaction history and buy/download digital software to your consoles using the site.

Pokemaniac

Right now you can merge your NNID into the Nintendo Account. However, there is currently little to no impact on Wii U and 3DS. Nintendo Accounts are really more for future hardware, though Wii U and 3DS will likely get some benefit sometime within the next year or so.

Not starting over.
At the moment, is just a merge. Unifying the account system, so you can login with ease across any platform including mobile; even with just your Facebook account.

More things were mentioned later, like cloud saving.

I'm really interested to find out if it will know my purchase history from 3DS.

tiijj

I'm really interested to find out if it will know my purchase history from 3DS.

Yeah, it even shows you when you update a game and when you add some credit (from a credit card) to your account. It also shows the information of the game that you bought/

enishi

If I don't get it wrong, it should be charging money to Nintendo eshop to get the refund instead of spent?

Correct me if I am wrong

Kid Ying

Already did it. Seems like you can buy any game now from pc. You just need to go into nintendo site, software and look for the game you want. Pretty cool

Gaspard

Already did it. Seems like you can buy any game now from pc. You just need to go into nintendo site, software and look for the game you want. Pretty cool

Any game? Hopefully I can snag Rune Factory 4 while the sale is still up.

Homebrewed 3DS doesn't agree with eShop as of now.

Garou

Note: Any game that is available on the eshop, physical-only games are not available.

One the benefits of the new site is, that you can see how many blocks a game needs.

Wow, making the sign-up process easy is so uncharacteristic of Nintendo.

Pretty neat to be able to purchase things from the browser. I don't have access to my WiiU right now, so I was happy to be able to purchase Year Walk and Mother while I remembered I wanted them, heh.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Just registered mine. It has a purchase history section with all my transactions over the years, hopefully that becomes more than just a list.
Finally !!
Good !!!

I went ahead and bought Paper Jam. From my laptop. 2 days before release. And now it's downloading on my 3DS.

This really is the future. ;)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I went ahead and bought Paper Jam. From my laptop. 2 days before release. And now it's downloading on my 3DS.

This really is the future. ;)

Nice - just like its supposed to be. It always sucked missing sales when you were out of the house without access to your consoles.

Schlomo

Hm, it doesn't show all my transactions. Presumably only since the NNID era?

Edit: The site doesn't let me re-purchase games I already own, so they must have the full data, just not in that overview.

Registered! Now uh, where do I buy games exactly?

For Nintendo titles, there should be a little orange tab on the game's home page that says 'ダウンロード購入', click it and you'll be taken to a page like this one here, from where you can buy the game by hitting 購入画面に進む、if the game is already out, or 予約購入画面へ if the game is still to be released.
Seems you can do it from the game's info page on Nintendo's site for 3rd party titles, too as seen here: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/titles/50010000037035

Demos can also be downloaded this way. But not DLC, it seems.

L~A

Nintendo of Europe's website got a major redesign back in October, and it was pretty clear this was for something like that.

Europe and North America will most likely follow before the end of the year. Maybe not today, as Nintendo probably learned their lessons and don't want to kill their servers by having everyone trying to register at once.

Pokemaniac

For Nintendo titles, there should be a little orange tab on the game's home page that says 'ダウンロード購入', click it and you'll be taken to a page like this one here, from where you can buy the game by hitting 購入画面に進む、if the game is already out, or 予約購入画面へ if the game is still to be released.
Seems you can do it from the game's info page on Nintendo's site for 3rd party titles, too as seen here: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/titles/50010000037035

DLC on 3DS is really weird, and has never been purchasable outside of in-game stores due to that.

No Wii U DLC is kinda surprising, though.

Cool, I think I'll get ふしぎのぼうし.

edit: That was really fast.

oti

Banned
I want to change my NNID name/get a new one. Can I do that with this site or do I have to wait for new Nintendo hardware to do that?

fernoca

I want to change my NNID name/get a new one. Can I do that with this site or do I have to wait for new Nintendo hardware to do that?
At the moment you can't.
But the ID is no biggie as it is just for sign in.

Your username and what everyone sees online is the name of your Mii. So you can change that at any time to whatever you want, just by editing the name of your Mii.

zoobzone

Got the email from Nintendo as well, got stuck half way through registration, still waiting for the verification code forever.

Well let's hope this is not it. Because all this seems to be so far is a cashback promotion? But I suppose the WiiU and 3DS will not really get a real account system anyways, and we'll have to wait for the full package when NX comes out...?

Schlomo

Prices of games on the eShop are significantly more than 10% inflated anyway.

Yes, unfortunately. I was thinking about buying the new Mario & Luigi RPG, but it's ¥5076 on eShop and ¥4145 (physical) /¥4568 (digital) on Amazon...

JoeM86

Well let's hope this is not it. Because all this seems to be so far is a cashback promotion? But I suppose the WiiU and 3DS will not really get a real account system anyways, and we'll have to wait for the full package when NX comes out...?

This isn't for a cashback promotion. This is the account which will run across all things in the future.

Yes, unfortunately. I was thinking about buying the new Mario & Luigi RPG, but it's ¥5076 on eShop and ¥4145 (physical) /¥4568 (digital) on Amazon...

That's because retailers set their own prices. eShop as well as PS Store and XBL Marketplace all put games up by RRP. Just because retailers lower the price doesn't mean they have to match it. Matching it will likely cause issues with retailers. So it's not that the eShop has a 10% inflation, it's that retailers that aren't GAME lop 10% off the RRP. Don't trash Nintendo for selling their products at their recommended price.

I'll mess with this when I get home. I almost never buy anything off the JP eshop though. Shit is crazy expensive. Will get a lot more use when it goes live for NA.

Schlomo

That's because retailers set their own prices. eShop as well as PS Store and XBL Marketplace all put games up by RRP. Just because retailers lower the price doesn't mean they have to match it. Matching it will likely cause issues with retailers. So it's not that the eShop has a 10% inflation, it's that retailers lop 10% off the RRP. Don't trash Nintendo for selling their products at their recommended price.

Not trashing anything, just saying even with the cashback scheme I'd rather go with Amazon.

JoeM86

Not trashing anything, just saying even with the cashback scheme I'd rather go with Amazon.

And that's your choice, but saying that the eShop has inflation for being the eShop is erroneous. Retails give discounts, yes, but that doesn't mean that the eShop is intentionally charging 10% more as Lucifon was saying

Platy

Guess I will wait to buy Yoshi Wooly World then ....

I wonder how this news will affect digital sales in the west till they announce the European and American version of this

ash_ag

Nintendo's official Japanese site is top-notch. The European and North American sites are 'okay' at best. Now that Club Nintendo has closed, I'm wondering if a major update to bring the western counterparts in-line with Japan is planned. Considering that Nintendo Account is being integrated to the official site, I wouldn't be surprised.

Nintendo Topics is also an interesting concept. If it's anything like PlayStation Blog, it could have a major effect on news rollout.

L~A

Nintendo's official Japanese site is top-notch. The European and North American sites are 'okay' at best. Now that Club Nintendo has closed, I'm wondering if a major update to bring the western counterparts in-line with Japan is planned. Considering that Nintendo Account is being integrated to the official site, I wouldn't be surprised.

Nintendo Topics is also an interesting concept. If it's anything like PlayStation Blog, it could have a major effect on news rollout.

Can't talk about NA, but the EU website was already redesigned in October (right after they closed Club Nintendo). Not sure if Nintendo Topics is meant to be like PlayStation Blog... bit early to say that for sure. Would be great if that was the case.

If/when this debuts in other markets it sounds like this could go a long way towards addressing the concerns of critics (myself included) who have been reluctant to purchase anything digital from Nintendo because they've lacked an account system that tracks purchases and makes transferring to a new console easy/reliable.

This isn't for a cashback promotion. This is the account which will run across all things in the future.

But does it already offer true account features atm.? For example are you able to download all your WiiU games on another system? Because if it doesn't, it's nothing more than a cashback promo atm.

wrowa

Can't talk about NA, but the EU website was already redesigned in October (right after they closed Club Nintendo). Not sure if Nintendo Topics is meant to be like PlayStation Blog... bit early to say that for sure. Would be great if that was the case.

"Redesigned" is going a bit too far, I think. It's the same old website with a slight new coat of paint. I don't think it's more than a transitional design and I absolutely expect a complete redesign next year to coincide with the NX launch.

wrowa

But does it already offer true account features atm.? For example are you able to download all your WiiU games on another system? Because if it doesn't, it's nothing more than a cashback promo atm.

For that to be possible, Nintendo would need to overhaul the way the Wii U manages account data first. I'm not convinced that Nintendo plans still to do this at this point in time. Wouldn't surprise me if you have to wait for NX for that.

VegiHam

No they're not. eShop price is MSRP. No more, no less (not counting discounts, obviously).
Well, yeah, but the MSRP is all a massive sham anyway when nowhere actually charges that.
That's because retailers set their own prices. eShop as well as PS Store and XBL Marketplace all put games up by RRP. Just because retailers lower the price doesn't mean they have to match it. Matching it will likely cause issues with retailers. So it's not that the eShop has a 10% inflation, it's that retailers that aren't GAME lop 10% off the RRP. Don't trash Nintendo for selling their products at their recommended price.
While this is technically true; it bugs me that Nintendo refuse to just make MSRP £30 already. That's what everyone charges anyway. If MSRP was lower retailers could just go on charging what they already do, which people are willing to pay, and the eShop wouldn't have to be such a rip off. But they can get away with it so they don't change; and I think they deserve some blame for that.

On topic, though, this seems pretty cool. Hope it comes to Europe soon so I can check it out.

Top Bottom