• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan: Nintendo Account launching today, official blog launched too

I see it connects to Facebook, Google+, and Twitter. Not sure if that is new at all. It has my entire purchase history tracked since my NNID was created. Can change your gender and nickname but not region or age. Doesn't seem to much going on right now.

marmoka

Banned
With this new service, we don't have to pay again for games if we buy a new console, don't we?

I hope it's available worldwide soon, if possible this week. I will have to delete Wind Waker from my Wii U to make room for Xenoblade data packs, and don't want to buy that game again in case I want to play it once more.

Well, yeah, but the MSRP is all a massive sham anyway when nowhere actually charges that.

While this is technically true; it bugs me that Nintendo refuse to just make MSRP £30 already. That's what everyone charges anyway. If MSRP was lower retailers could just go on charging what they already do, which people are willing to pay, and the eShop wouldn't have to be such a rip off. But they can get away with it so they don't change; and I think they deserve some blame for that.

Nintendo technically doesn't have an MSRP for any of their products in Europe, as their crack legal team for some reason decided it would protect them from being fined for price-fixing again. So essentially, their games are just downright overpriced on the eShop in Europe.

-shadow-

I believe you always could change your gender. I still find it hard too believe they think that people don't move. Like at all...

RiggyRob

With this new service, we don't have to pay again for games if we buy a new console, don't we?

I hope it's available worldwide soon, if possible this week. I will have to delete Wind Waker from my Wii U to make room for Xenoblade data packs, and don't want to buy that game again in case I want to play it once more.

You can redownload any game that you've bought as long as you log into the NNID you bought it under, I've done it myself deleting Super Mario Galaxy 2 to make space for Metroid Prime Trilogy. We don't know whether Wii U purchases will carry over to the NX for certain yet.

Lucifon

No they're not. eShop price is MSRP. No more, no less (not counting discounts, obviously).

Who on earth happily buys games at MSRP. Even during their Black Friday 'deals' the prices were much higher than most retailers had the games for - and you're getting a physical resellable disk for that price.

marmoka

Banned
You can redownload any game that you've bought as long as you log into the NNID you bought it under, I've done it myself deleting Super Mario Galaxy 2 to make space for Metroid Prime Trilogy. We don't know whether Wii U purchases will carry over to the NX for certain yet.

Good. Let's see if it's possible to carry over to the NX. At least now we can keep calm because we don't have to pay it again if we break our 3DS/WiiUs, haha

Here are some things that were added to the 3DS eShop recently (I bolded some parts of interest):
http://3dbrew.org/wiki/EShop#Server_changes_following_the_November_2.2C_2015.2C_maintenance said:
%s/ninja/ws/%s/coupon/!check?shop_id=1&_type=json
%s/ninja/ws/my/owned_coupons?ns_uid=%llu&shop_id=1&_type=json
%s/ninja/ws/my/owned_coupons?shop_id=1&_type=json
%s/ninja/ws/my/parental_control/!put?shop_id=1&_type=json
%s/ninja/ws/%s/title/%llu/prepurchase_info?%s=%s&shop_id=1&_type=json
%s/samurai/ws/%s/coupon/%llu/titles?lang=%s&limit=%u&offset=%u&shop_id=1&_type=json
%s/ninja/ws/my/auto_billing/plans?limit=%u&offset=%u&shop_id=1&_type=json
%s/ninja/ws/%s/titles/online_prices?title%%5B%%5D=%s&lang=%s&include_coupon=true&coupon_id=%llu&shop_id=1&_type=json
%s/ninja/ws/my/auto_billing/%014llu/!cancel?shop_id=1&_type=json
Auto billing I can assume is for services like Pokemon bank so the renew automatically but the coupons sound like you'll be able to see the vouchers you earn through Nintendo Account directly in the eShop rather than it being like NNP where you had to note the codes down.

I see it connects to Facebook, Google+, and Twitter. Not sure if that is new at all. It has my entire purchase history tracked since my NNID was created. Can change your gender and nickname but not region or age. Doesn't seem to much going on right now.
That is no surprise it is still under the pointless annoying shackles of NNID. I also expect the region locking will remain due the eventual My Nintendo rewards.

JoeM86

Nintendo technically doesn't have an MSRP for any of their products in Europe, as their crack legal team for some reason decided it would protect them from being fined for price-fixing again. So essentially, their games are just downright overpriced on the eShop in Europe.

They don't have an official MSRP but there's still a suggested price, and that price is seen on adverts

gogogow

Well, yeah, but the MSRP is all a massive sham anyway when nowhere actually charges that.

While this is technically true; it bugs me that Nintendo refuse to just make MSRP £30 already. That's what everyone charges anyway. If MSRP was lower retailers could just go on charging what they already do, which people are willing to pay, and the eShop wouldn't have to be such a rip off. But they can get away with it so they don't change; and I think they deserve some blame for that.

On topic, though, this seems pretty cool. Hope it comes to Europe soon so I can check it out.
Why not make them games free! Free games for everyone!

If Nintendo makes the RRP 30, why would the retailers stay at 30 and not go lower, like they are doing now?

Nintendo charges whatever amount they want, because they think that's a fair price for their products. If you don't agree, don't buy it. Go buy from retail or don't buy the game(s) at all. Nintendo isn't getting away with anything. You just wanna complain for the sake of complaining.

There is also the matter that retailers are buying thousands of copies at a time so will have some kind of discount on the unit price (and also buying thousands at once before release is worth a lot more to Nintendo) but also it is commonly known that retail has stripped the profit margin down to the bone when it comes to games. Especially in the online realm that has significantly lower running costs.

They don't have an official MSRP but there's still a suggested price, and that price is seen on adverts

I can't remember the last time I saw a price on a Nintendo advert (in the UK at least)...

I mean obviously the price on the eShop is the de facto RRP, but I believe Nintendo still have a policy of not announcing any sort of pricing information for retail products in European markets.

Poyunch

Wait, what if they do something for the other regions? What if I'm region locked to Japan if I do this now instead of waiting for NoA?

VegiHam

What?! I didn't know that! Then the eShop is just over priced, screw you nintendo.
...oh, never mind then. I revert back to my original opinion of 'adjust the suggested price'.
Why not make them games free! Free games for everyone!

If Nintendo makes the RRP 30, why would the retailers stay at 30 and not go lower, like they are doing now?

Nintendo charges whatever amount they want, because they think that's a fair price for their products. If you don't agree, don't buy it. Go buy from retail or don't buy the game(s) at all. Nintendo isn't getting away with anything. You just wanna complain for the sake of complaining.
I often do skip games, because I can't justify a £40 price tag for something I'm not sure on. I can't buy from retail, retail doesn't offer digital and I don't want physical games, they don't suit my lifestyle at all. Retailers probably would still go lower, but I'd be more comfortable spending £30 or £25 or so on a game than £40; especially if that meant Black Friday sale prices are £15-20.

I am not just complaining because I want to complain, that's ridiculous. I'm complaining because I really like Nintendo's games but their distribution methods aren't suiting my needs. I want to give them money but I have two different bad options lately; either pay too much or go physical. If they want to carry on without changing anything they're obviously allowed to; but they're missing out on my money at the moment.

Wait, what if they do something for the other regions? What if I'm region locked to Japan if I do this now instead of waiting for NoA?
You do know you can only sign up for the Japanese Nintendo account using a Japanese NNID. I suppose you could do the other sign-in options and potentially block those from a US Nintendo account but why would you want a Japanese Nintendo account if you can't any of the services from it?

gogogow

I often do skip games, because I can't justify a £40 price tag for something I'm not sure on. I can't buy from retail, retail doesn't offer digital and I don't want physical games, they don't suit my lifestyle at all. Retailers probably would still go lower, but I'd be more comfortable spending £30 or £25 or so on a game than £40; especially if that meant Black Friday sale prices are £15-20.

I am not just complaining because I want to complain, that's ridiculous. I'm complaining because I really like Nintendo's games but their distribution methods aren't suiting my needs. I want to give them money but I have two different bad options lately; either pay too much or go physical. If they want to carry on without changing anything they're obviously allowed to; but they're missing out on my money at the moment.

I said you were complaining for the sake of complaining, because all platform holders are charging RRP for their games. Before the console digital age began, we were promised lower prices, because of no distribution costs, manuals, dvd cases etc. We all know what happened in the end. It is what it is.
Activision, EA and Ubisoft are charging €69.99 for their games in the PSN Store, Xbox store and eShop too with Black Ops 2 IIRC, which NO sane retailer are charging. The RRP for most games are €59.99 in Europe.

VegiHam

I said you were complaining for the sake of complaining, because all platform holders are charging RRP for their games. Before the console digital age began, we were promised lower prices, because of no distribution costs, manuals, dvd cases etc. We all know what happened in the end. It is what it is.
Activision, EA and Ubisoft are charging €69.99 for their games in the PSN Store and I guess in the Xbox store too, which NO sane retailer are charging. The RRP for most games are €59.99 in Europe.
Yes, this is precisely my point. It's a problem across all platforms and publishers where in the UK, unlike in the US, digital v physical isn't a 'pick whichever you'd prefer' situation but a 'empty your wallet while crying or deal with piles of plastic boxes' one. It's unacceptable but nobody in the industry is doing anything. Should I not complain? Should we all just roll over and take it? I don't think Nintendo are blameless just because everyone else is doing it too.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
That is no surprise it is still under the pointless annoying shackles of NNID. I also expect the region locking will remain due the eventual My Nintendo rewards.

Can you change the region of your account after creating it with Apple, Google, MS and Sony etc. ? You make it sounds like this is another specific Nintendo issue when its more or less the norm for multiple reasons....unless i missed the option.

Schlomo

Didn't Sony start an initiative with the Vita where digital games got a blanket discount? I expect that was long since dropped?

Not to complain, since its not an issue at all, but the cash back deal seems a bit worse than the Deluxe Digital Promo since you didn't have to wait a week for your code (24hrs) and money from that redemption counted towards your next code.

Of course the real good news here is the actual Nintendo Account.

Neo_Geo

Banned
Nice, now announce that you won't fuck us next gen with the games we already have attached to our Nintendo Accounts.

Region locking accounts is pretty standard for consoles. As long as the NX hardware is not and allows accounts from different regions to be associated with the system like the PS3 and 4, I don't have a problem.

Can you change the region of your account after creating it with Apple, Google, MS and Sony etc. ? You make it sounds like this is another specific Nintendo issue when its more or less the norm for multiple reasons....unless i missed the option.

You can with Apple, though you have to prove you have moved country with a new billing address: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201389

The more important question is whether Nintendo will allow users to sign into Nintendo Accounts from other regions on the same hardware, while keeping everything else tied to the user's primary Nintendo Account.

For example, on iOS, everything can be associated with one Apple ID, but you can sign out of an Apple ID from the App Store, and into a new Apple ID, in order to purchase content from other regions, so the only thing that changes is the store you can access. previously purchased apps and such still work, and your Game Center account will be associated with your primary account, unless you sign out of Game Center and into a different Apple ID.

So the majority of services reflect your primary account, but you can swap out some for a different Apple ID (App Store, etc) when needed.

Activision, EA and Ubisoft are charging €69.99 for their games in the PSN Store, Xbox store and eShop too with Black Ops 2 IIRC, which NO sane retailer are charging. The RRP for most games are €59.99 in Europe.

When and where was that promise made? I was hoping that with Steam leading the charge on digital storefronts, people would be cool with paying full price on new digital releases.

If you don't want to, wait for a digital sale. There are plenty of those now every month.

You don't have to rebuy games you delete anyway. You can redownload them to the same wii u at a later date for free.

You'd have to buy it again to play it on a different Wii u though and this won't change that

Lusankya

Even now you don't have to rebuy the games...

boiled goose

good with gravy
Does it show what hardware is tied to your account?

While hopefully promising im skeptical.

This could be another convoluted extra system.

On topic, though, this seems pretty cool. Hope it comes to Europe soon so I can check it out.

Yeah, the wholesale price of the codes must be fairly low if GAME can mark them up below the eShop RRP. It seems whatever RRP Nintendo chooses for codes is dependent on their own reasons: For example, discount promotions tied to other purchases, or Amiibo-packaged games tend to receive a lower RRP on the eShop.

Note that Nintendo operates differently with respect to digital codes with some retailers, which is why GAME doesn't charge RRP online, neither Amazon in Japan.

I wonder if they will have a firmware update for 3DS that will include this account system, but that seems like too drastic of an overhaul for ??? gains.

georly

Woo, registered. Hope no one can steal my sweet US NNID.

Do people who have an existing NNID get that username reserved, or is it all up for grabs now?

JoeM86

Do people who have an existing NNID get that username reserved, or is it all up for grabs now?

The Nintendo Account doesn't have usernames. It's logged in via e-mail and uses your Mii's nickname as the display name

So you're safe

georly

The Nintendo Account doesn't have usernames. It's logged in via e-mail and uses your Mii's nickname as the display name

So you're safe

Aww, so my sweet NNID isn't going to appear anywhere? Lame! I liked having a one-of-a-kind nintendo gamertag type thing. Now it's just my email + mii name? :/ Weak.

So what, when you add a friend you have to give them your email address? How will this work? I don't want to share my personal email with online strangers. And i'm sure dozens of people will use the same mii name as others, so that's not the unique identifier.

The nickname does not appear to be a unique identifier, and merely appears to be what the system calls you. It's imported from the Mii you have registered on your NNID. The e-mail address you register with is a unique identifier, but I wouldn't expect that to be your in-game handle or search vector.

georly

The nickname does not appear to be a unique identifier, and merely appears to be what the system calls you. It's imported from the Mii you have registered on your NNID. The e-mail address you register with is a unique identifier, but I wouldn't expect that to be your in-game handle or search vector.

So is "nintendo account" just a personal-level account that ties all your nintendo stuff together? Will NX use NNID as your friend-identifier or something new altogether?

I see that NNID still shows up as one of the linked items (along with google plus, twitter, facebook). I guess that means NNID isn't going anywhere for now? Or it's maybe just a way to tie your 3DS/WiiU to your account?

JIrpgcj.png

Hopefully NNID rolls over to NX.

Or even better, maybe you log on to NX w/ your nintendo account and it automatically pulls in your facebook/twitter/g+/NNID friends and adds them to your friends list? Or at least sends out friend requests to them? And you just see them as their mii handle? Did they say something like this would happen?

boiled goose

good with gravy
So is "nintendo account" just a personal-level account that ties all your nintendo stuff together? Will NX use NNID as your friend-identifier or something new altogether?

To be a truly integrated system, purchases regardless of system, tied hardware, and friend list need to be accessible.

Im highly skeptical Nintendo can honestly deliver but we ll see....

Instead of expanding the functionality of nnid, this seems to be adding another layer. You need to be able to manage your nnid online .

I bet that the Nintendo mobile account will use an entirely different id system instead of using your nnid. This is looking like a patchwork system to list all your accounts instead of using a truly integrated unified account system.

Im pessimistic, but for a reason.

It isn't specific to Nintendo. Better examples exist as do similar ones but I'm annoyed in that it is a regression.

MS lets you change, Sony does not. It is kind of essential changing in the case of MS as system menu and game language is fixed based on country (while only eShop language is fixed on Nintendo systems). If full freedom is impossible I'd like some along the lines of how the 3DS was (and still is if you say no to NNID and now Nintendo account by association :( ) which allows you to change to all countries in your systems region without consequence:
sA1Bz8b.png

There was nothing wrong with this but they effectively took it away by locking NNID to one country because...because Nintendumb?

georly

Wait, the US registrations are not available yet are they? Your comment confuses me.

No, it's not. I was confused about how it all works. This is just me registering my JP account, worried that my US NNID might be stolen before it comes out.

Basically you just make an account w/ your email and then you link your twitter/facebook/google+/NNID to this new account. New account has no NNID equivalent.

I bet that the Nintendo mobile account will use an entirely different id system instead of using your nnid. This is looking like a patchwork system to list all your accounts instead of using a truly integrated unified account system.

It'll probably depend on whether you can use the secondary accounts (NNID, My Nintendo) using just your NNID or not.

For example, you can sign into Skype, Office 365, Xbox Live with your Microsoft Account. Likewise an Apple ID gets you into the App Store, iMessage and Game Center.

That's probably what Nintendo is trying to achieve here.

To be a truly integrated system, purchases regardless of system, tied hardware, and friend list need to be accessible.

Im highly skeptical Nintendo can honestly deliver but we ll see....

Instead of expanding the functionality of nnid, this seems to be adding another layer. You need to be able to manage your nnid online .

I just hope they've got some sort of long-term plan for all this, and this is all in service of some streamlined, sensible end goal, and the somewhat convoluted way this is set up currently will make sense when their next-gen hardware launches. If this is all cobbled together with the same lack of forethought they've had in the past, then they're going to be in some real trouble, as we're well past the point where they can wipe everything clean and start fresh with a new unified account.

boiled goose

good with gravy
It'll probably depend on whether you can use the secondary accounts (NNID, My Nintendo) using just your NNID or not.

For example, you can sign into Skype, Office 365, Xbox Live with your Microsoft Account. Likewise an Apple ID gets you into the App Store, iMessage and Game Center.

That's probably what Nintendo is trying to achieve here.

I hope... for their sake.

They have to try to lead in services this gen or they're toast. Playing catchup only adds to risk and a bad reputation for their platform.

This system being region locked from the getgo does not inspire confidence.

Top Bottom