• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo Switch Launch Lineup Announced

Somnid

There's some nice meaty games in there which is all that matters. Usually consoles launch with a bunch of $60 tech demos that last 5 hours.

Roldan

Jesus Christ. That's not good.

I'm not on the overreact "they're doomed" boat, though. Remember Nintendo will have only one console to develop for, so I'd imagine they'll have a great output over time. But that lineup... yeah, it's bad.

Asd202

I guess there's still time for a Monster Hunter XX port announcement? And Mario Kart and Splatoon aren't far from launch? Doesn't look pretty.

But why would people buy a very expensive console to play MH when they can just play on their 3DS? The port is probably not happening when they show at the conference 3rd party games that barely started development to fill the holes.

Faynwulf

I really expected "1 2 Switch" to be something that's shipped together with the console. Like Wii sports. Just to show off some features of the Switch.

That list is really... I almost can't believe it.

that is four games I would very much like to play (Zelda, 1 2 Switch, Puyo Puyo Tetris, and Super Bomberman R). Plenty for me since I bought my PS4 as literally a Battlefield 4 box.

Stillmatic

That's pretty terrible. The worst that I can remember.

No 3rd parties even bothered porting their 2016 games for launch. Doesn't bode well.

Tagg9

Remember Nintendo will have only one console to develop for, so I'd imagine they'll have a great output over time. But that lineup... yeah, it's bad.

I'm not convinced that will be the case. Nintendo hasn't shown any games yet that were previously in handheld-only series. They also keep referring to the Switch as a "console".

notaskwid

There's some nice meaty games in there which is all that matters. Usually consoles launch with a bunch of $60 tech demos that last 5 hours.
That's what happens when almost all your games are ports. See: WiiU's lauch. Pretty meaty games there too.

You screwed over Wii U owners for this!?

REALLY!?

As an investor I know Wii U is a failure, but you should have done better than this. The damn stock is in trouble when trading opens.

Maxinas

Don't understand how people are stunned by this really. When compared to the Wii U, this year is stacked for the Switch (as long as Mario isn't delayed). We have Splatoon 2 in Summer, already guaranteed to succeed in Japan. The new Mario, and a FE Musou (thought not really going to be a system seller like the former).

If Nintendo isn't bullshitting about the supposed 80 games being developed for the Switch amongst 1st and 3rd party developers, we can assume they will have more games to shown later throughout the year, most likely at E3. If you seriously don't like the launch line-up, no one is forcing you to buy the Switch at launch.

Tratorn

Every single time a new console launches, people tend to forget that console launch lineups typically aren't all that great.

1) This is worse than normal. They can be so happy that Zelda looks so great, the rest isn't something to write a story about.
2) This was supposed to have all the support of Nintendos HH and console devs (1st and 3rd party).
3) WiiU didn't get many games in the last 2 years and also 3DS isn't supported much anymore by them besides some smaller scale games/WiiU ports and Pokemon.

So it isn't that surprising that people could've expected more than that.

Kathian

Banned
I'm not convinced that will be the case. Nintendo hasn't shown any games yet that were previously in handheld-only series. They also keep referring to the Switch as a "console".

This is my big big takeaway. There was nothing handhrld here. 3DS will have major games this year imo

N64 launched with 2 games people.

TWO.

And it was recently named the most beloved retro console. And it had some of the best & most consequential games in gaming history.

Relax.

Yeah, the N64 launching in the 90s and a new console in 2017 is the same thing.

iPhone 8 should be a flip phone, because you know, people used to like it too.

King_Moc

Banned
Don't understand how people are stunned by this really. When compared to the Wii U, this year is stacked for the Switch (as long as Mario isn't delayed). We have Splatoon 2 in Summer, already guaranteed to succeed in Japan. The new Mario, and a FE Musou (thought not really going to be a system seller like the former).

If Nintendo isn't bullshitting about the supposed 80 games being developed for the Switch amongst 1st and 3rd party developers, we can assume they will have more games to shown later throughout the year, most likely at E3. If you seriously don't like the launch line-up, no one is forcing you to buy the Switch at launch.

Is 80 a lot? It takes 2+ years to make a console game, and this is out in less than 2 months. That doesn't sound like a lot of games to me.

donny2112

Good heavens. Only 8 games? Wtf have they been working on

It doesn't make sense to have a ton of games at launch for a new system. Everyone who owns the system just shelled out the cost of a new system, so their available funds will be lessened. You want a system seller or two + some filler. More games later (e.g. Mario Kart 8 DX in April and Splatoon 2 in Summer), when buyers' wallets have had time to recover.

i am so lost as to why people are complaining?? zelda is huge as it is - they get dragon quest too and bomberman and 1 2 switch and probably at least 1 more good game... how is that bad? thats 4 games and one is a giant zelda game, what, you gonna finish them all in 5 days?

woopWOOP

Well, I see 4 games on there that I'd like to buy for that system already so I'm pretty alright with that list.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Ubisoft just confirmed Just Dance 2017, a game called Steep (snowboarding/skiing?) and Rayman Legends Definitive Edition (apparently has some extra content) all for launch, at least for the West.

Zelda looks amazing completely justified for me. Switch will have some great games I can't pass on. PC, PS4, and Switch Im set.

Calm Mind

This launch speaks to me far greater than the Western focused Wii U launch ever did. I rather have a constant stream of games worth playing than a deluge of software I have zero interest in. Also, having a console launch this close to E3 is going to do wonders for the platform.

ReaperXL7

This is what happens when third parties don't give a fuck about your platform. I think the Switch looks awesome, and Nintendo has come very close to convincing me to buy one but I need to see some proper game support before I invest.

It's not even like they have the excuse that they have been pumping games out on the 3DS or Wii U over the last year either to excuse the weak first party inclusions outside of Zelda.

Ronok

Guys, the big games are meant to be 1, 2 Switch and maybe Arms. Basically an attempt to replicate Wii Sports/Play success. Who knows if it will work, but it's not like people were super excited about that launch here either. We'll see.

Sapientas

If the Switch is supposed to be a hybrid and combine Nintendo's portable and console systems, why is it being treated like just another console? Why is this launch line-up so horrible? It's just like the Wii U.... old ports of niche games with Zelda in there.

How can they not have more games ready for this? At the very least they should had Arms and Mario Kart 8 at launch. Where are the "portable" games that should migrate the 3DS userbase?

Top Bottom