• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jefferies Equity Analyst: Mario Kart 8D a "mega-hit on a different scale altogether"

zewone

These kind of posts are getting silly.

My bad. This is what I meant to say:

itprintsmonies.jpg

Less silly?

I'm not intending to. I'm just saying that it selling better, relatively, than other Mario Karts on consoles that bigger install bases seems like it could be the result of it lacking competition on the system. That makes more sense to me than 'it's just that good'.
Your mentality here has even less evidence to it than the idea that a great game with great reviews and word of mouth would sell well. Mario Kart 8D selling well follows the pattern of every Mario Kart selling well.
This will never happen. Everyone keeps saying they are DROWNING in games. I don't understand why the truth bothers so many people.
Maybe your limited knowlege of the situation skews the "Truth".

This is some of the dumbest shit I've ever read on this site. And that's saying something.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
What an extreme hyperbole. For MK8D to reach comparable levels to Mario Kart Wii, it would require some conditions which cannot be checked yet:
1. It has to remain the only Mario Kart on Switch (at least for a long time).
2. Switch needs to sell extremely well not only in the starting period, but over a long period of time.

I would not bet on either just yet.

It's perhaps the second meaningful release on a console that's starved for games - I don't think its success is all that surprising with that context.

I mean what else is there really to say, it's far too early to call this a success on a magnitude of 5-10x the MK8.

wiibomb

I never expected the Switch to be the hit it is now, I mean, I saw it could have success, but it has been surpassing it a lot

Too early to call it a success, it might sell 8 million then stop

this game had enormous long legs on Wii U, I think it would be pretty expected to see it selling for a long time

Delio

Every console sells well at launch and Nintendo hardware has some hype/resell value currently thanks to NES Classic and launch shortages.

Not to say that the Switch won't be successful, but it's a bit premature.

Even Nintendo enthusiasts have to admit the software line up is lacking at this point so major titles like MK8 should be selling well when there is not a lot of options.

So your saying that MK8 wouldn't be selling the way it is if the system had a bunch of other games on it right now correct?

Clefargle

Something something dead on arrival.

Something something weak launch.

Something something only zelda.

Something something b-but Wii U

Something something droughts

Something something third party

Flintty

Think about it like this, what other console had two of their biggest franchises less than two months after launch?

I didn't have a PS4 at launch but I had an Xbox One and I'm pretty sure nothing came close to Zelda and MK8D. I say this as primarily an Xbox gamer. I'm also pretty sure PS4 was similar to Xbox in terms of game lineup but happy to be corrected.

These sort of comments (like you quoted) are nothing short of console warrior bullshit.

TheFuzz

My bad. This is what I meant to say:

itprintsmonies.jpg

Less silly?

Stop saying things like "there's a lack of games" when it's factually not true. There's a ton. For a system out 8 weeks, it has arguably the best pool of games in 8 weeks than any other console has had.

Think about it like this, what other console had two of their biggest franchises less than two months after launch?
That doesn't have anything to do with what I'm questioning. I'm questioning why people are surprised with others saying it has very few (since people have a problem with marquee) 'major' games. It has many good games... that are also other systems... that have been out for some time.

I was about to ask if MK8D is the best selling remaster, but I remembered GTAV continues to chart every month.

Well deserved, though. After Mario Kart Wii became super successful I was slightly concerned Nintendo would use it as model going forward. That slow, almost more party-like racing. But 8D w/Battle Mode and 200cc from the jump might just be the best Mario Kart.

That doesn't have anything to do with what I'm questioning. I'm questioning why people are surprised with others saying it has very few (since people have a problem with marquee) 'major' games. It has many good games... that are also other systems... that have been out for some time.
Yeah, but most of them have been released at the same time as they have on those other consoles.

Nintendo really can't win. When they have bad third party support, people shit all over it. When they actually get some decent third party support, suddenly third party games don't count as something you can play on a Switch because theyre also on other consoles.

Stop saying things like "there's a lack of games" when it's factually not true. There's a ton. For a system out 8 weeks, it has arguably the best pool of games in 8 weeks than any other console has had.

Yeah. But even if Splatoon 2 and ARMS do well, people will say it's because of the non-existent software drought. And yes people, indie games are games too.

Kyzer

Banned
Indies and eshop titles embarrassing the people proclaiming no games on switch. One of, if not the, best launch periods ever. Future consoles will launch with similar benefits, maybe even better, just as the PS4 had games like resogun making the lineup look more appealing.

He forgot that nobody bought a Wii U, despite this game selling really well on it.
Original Mario Kart 8 sold really on the Wii U when compared to other games on the Wii U, but when compared to the previous console entry in the series, Mario Kart Wii, sales were way down (8M+ vs. 36M+), because like you said nobody bought a Wii U.

People quoting this:
This is honestly not that impressive, Nintendo shares will always be sold to their core investors of about three million. Since Nintendo was close to dying due to droughts there's no reason for the stock not to go up. Goyal is also a Nintendo fanboy, I saw him presenting his daughter with a DS last summer.

Go through his post history. He's joking. He's done this multiple times. I think he actually owns a Switch.

This is honestly not that impressive, it will drop off a cliff in sales anyway once it has been sold to the NEO GEO core audience of 2 million. Frankly speaking, Switch gamers are starved for games and there was a huge draught going on in launch period so nothing to compete. Environmentalists will also crucify Nintendo due to their recent usage of air freighters to meet supply, further diminishing the impact this will all have. It's clear as day that these NEO GEO games won't have legs due to no AAA support on Nintendo consoles either.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Didn't believe MK8D would be a big success, lol. Analysts continue not knowing what they're talking about. As soon as the Switch proved to be hot (which happened way before MK was released), it was so obvious that MK would do great. Most people didn't give a shit about the Wii U, and they're making up for it now (I'm one of them).

In other words, DON'T BUY NINTENDO SHARES, PEOPLE!

You're acting like this is a thing that happens exclusively to Nintendo. What were the "marquee" games when the PS4 and Xbox One launched? Killzone? Forza? Those are hardly on the same scale as Mario and Zelda.

Every console sells well at launch and Nintendo hardware has some hype/resell value currently thanks to NES Classic and launch shortages.

Not to say that the Switch won't be successful, but it's a bit premature.

Even Nintendo enthusiasts have to admit the software line up is lacking at this point so major titles like MK8 should be selling well when there is not a lot of options.
Then why did Wii U launch window games super bomb?

JoeInky

Yeah there's literally no other thing that switch owners could spend money on, they couldn't buy other games on other systems or spend their money on a multitude of other things, they're practically being forced at gunpoint to buy MK8 so it's no surprise the sales were that high.

Kyzer

Banned
Yeah there's literally no other thing that switch owners could spend money on, they couldn't buy other games on other systems or spend their money on a multitude of other things, they're practically being forced at gunpoint to buy MK8 so it's no surprise the sales were that high.
This guy gets it

Maybe your limited knowlege of the situation skews the "Truth".

This is some of the dumbest shit I've ever read on this site. And that's saying something.
Uh huuuuuh. Limited knowledge of googling the games list that are on the Switch, or better yet, going to the eshop on my sisters Switch.
Also, I'll be sure to forward all questions on the Switch to you for now on, since your knowledge is vast. Come on now.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Mario Kart is Nintendo's biggest franchise.

Nintendo Switch is a hotly selling console with a bunch of customers starved for games to play.

You do the math.

kswiston

You're acting like this is a thing that happens exclusively to Nintendo. What were the "marquee" games when the PS4 and Xbox One launched? Killzone? Forza? Those are hardly on the same scale as Mario and Zelda.

The Marquee games were Call of Duty and whatever other big third party titles were out in 2013.

Nintendo is the only one of the big three that has a skew towards first party products (where first party games will end up being all 10 of the top 10 titles on the system).

MisterHero

I remember when MKWii was sent to die against GTAIV

Kangi

Can confirm. Mario personally broke into my house, put a gun to my head, and whispered, "Let's-a go".

jman2050

I'm actually amused by the ever more creative ways some people, sarcastically or otherwise, take the initial premise of "Switch hardware is selling gangbusters and is being driven by two high-profile releases near launch" and spin it into a condemnation of Nintendo.

TheFuzz

Mario Kart is Nintendo's biggest franchise.

Nintendo Switch is a hotly selling console with a bunch of customers starved for games to play.

You do the math.

So there is no way anyone bought the console to play that and any other games that are on it?

Seriously people, you sound insane.

It's perhaps the second meaningful release on a console that's starved for games - I don't think its success is all that surprising with that context.

Why be a cliche?

Can confirm. Mario personally broke into my house, put a gun to my head, and whispered, "Let's-a go".

I woke up to Luigi giving me that death stare. He handed me my switch and credit card and in a panic, I purchased the game. He also had me delete fast rmx, puyo puyo, and an assortment of other games I own so I would know true stavation.

Why do people bring up the amount of releases the Switch has had to why Mario Kart is doing well? Regardless of whatever game comes out, it wouldn't slow down Mario Kart. You could have had 3 AAA releases from other publishers release on the Switch in the same week as Mario Kart and it still wouldn't slow it down.

antispin

To the no-games argument: I didn't buy this console for third-party titles, tbh. However, the console has a steady addition to its line-up since launch, and there is at least one good title every week that interests me: result is that I have 3X the amount of 3rd party titles than 1st party. This has never been the case for me personally, for a Nintendo console.

Kyzer

Banned

Same, plus im -starving- for other games so I bought Mario Kart even though I dont like it. I also bought Zelda, Graceful Explosion Machine, I am Setsuna, Bomberman, and Fast RMX just cuz theres nothing else to do. If 10 high profile games dont come out every week I just start buying anything that comes out

Top Bottom