• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jefferies Equity Analyst: Mario Kart 8D a "mega-hit on a different scale altogether"

The Marquee games were Call of Duty and whatever other big third party titles were out in 2013.

Nintendo is the only one of the big three that has a skew towards first party products (where first party games will end up being all 10 of the top 10 titles on the system).

I find it ironic that a game also for last gen systems is considered a "marquee" title considering the complaints against Zelda and Mario Kart are that they are "ports".

massoluk

Banned
For fucking real, people could also just opt to buy the game on other system. This "starving fan will buy anything made a game success" made little sense to me. If that's how it works Alien Vs Predator on Atari Jaguar would have joined the rank of best selling games of all time.

A good sale is a good sale.

edit: nevermind.

jett

D-Member
Wii U games carrying the Switch to success. What will be the next big ticket Wii U game that Nintendo is going to port over? Super Mario 3D World?

Indies and eshop titles embarrassing the people proclaiming no games on switch. One of, if not the, best launch periods ever. Future consoles will launch with similar benefits, maybe even better, just as the PS4 had games like resogun making the lineup look more appealing.
It's been made clear that some people prefer a bad AAA (Knack at PS4 launch) to a good indie

MisterHero

Please tell me people were saying this back in 2008. Please.
It was just a little thought I had back then, but MKDS had blown up already. MKWii outselling GTAIV still surprises me a little.

But Rockstar has GTAV/Online and sold 75 million. How will Mario Kart respond!!?!?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So if there was a lot of other good games Mario Kart wouldnt sell?

Note my first line of text. Mario Kart was going to sell well no matter what since it's Nintendo's biggest-selling franchise. The dearth of Switch content means that it doesn't have a whole lot of competition and thus magnifies it's selling status. Other factors include good marketing and Switch fever still running high.

So there is no way anyone bought the console to play that and any other games that are on it?

...no, most people bought the console to play Zelda. Mario Kart just happens to be the next big first party release.

Why does everyone seem to think I'm somehow attacking the Switch when I state obvious facts? lol

Wii U games carrying the Switch to success. What will be the next big ticket Wii U game that Nintendo is going to port over? Super Mario 3D World?

It's going to be Smash Bros.

Then why did Wii U launch window games super bomb?

The funniest thing about Switch launch is seeing how many people try to say it has a bad launch library.

You know what the tell for a good launch library is?
Sales.

Why do people bring up the amount of releases the Switch has had to why Mario Kart is doing well? Regardless of whatever game comes out, it wouldn't slow down Mario Kart. You could have had 3 AAA releases from other publishers release on the Switch in the same week as Mario Kart and it still wouldn't slow it down.
Yep.

Other than Pokemon, Mario Kart is Nintendo's most successful franchise. More so than Zelda, Mario, or SSB. MK8D was always going to be a big hit.

kswiston

Please tell me people were saying this back in 2008. Please.

2008 GAF was a fanboy mess. Way worse than it is now. Some people were crazy delusional.

Keep in mind, that this was at the height of insane Wii sales in the US. Wii sold just under 715k in April 2008. It sold about the same in March 2008 as well. PS3 and 360 were selling in the 175-250k range in those months.

I don't know if anyone said that MK was actually sent to die, but people expected GTA IV to magically turn things around.

Can confirm. Mario personally broke into my house, put a gun to my head, and whispered, "Let's-a go".

I woke up to Luigi giving me that death stare. He handed me my switch and credit card and in a panic, I purchased the game. He also had me delete fast rmx, puyo puyo, and an assortment of other games I own so I would know true stavation.

hqdefault.jpg

Laughing way harder than I should at that, but can't help it. How hilarious and terrifying to imagine that kind of Mario & Luigi.

As far as MK8, well-deserved for its Switch success. Hope it continues to do well.

Mario Kart 8 on Switch is fooking good. So much better than on shitty wiiu.

If enough people try this it will become huuuuuge.

Its the perfect Mario Kart and MK is one of the best casual games = 💰💰💰

Breath of the Wild was a driving force behind those sales. I'm speaking as a Switch owner, that the game drought makes Mario Kart 8 a must buy.

No it doesn't. It's a mascot kart racing game.

I brought this up in another thread and nobody seemed able to answer, but saying "game X is only doing well because console Y is starved for games" is implying that people who would otherwise never have bought the game in the first place are buying it purely to have a game to play. I'm pretty sure reality doesn't work that way (correct me if I'm wrong, though!). People who don't like racing games aren't buying Mario Kart just because they have some burning itch to spend $60.

This doesn't apply to just Mario Kart either. It applies to anyone who tries to use the "oh of course it's selling, duh, there's nothing else to play" excuse to try and diminish any game's sales no matter the system. It also doesn't even make sense for Switch because there's actually a ton of shit available on it already, I and many others on GAF have posted about being shocked at just how many more games we've bought on Switch during launch than during any other system launch before it. The only thing it's missing right now is an FPS, it has adventure/platformer/racer/kart racer/rpg/fighting/etc etc etc. There's a little something for everyone. People aren't just buying Mario Kart to buy something, give the game and team a little more credit than that.

jett

D-Member
Suppaaaaa Sumashuuuu Brazzassss

It's going to be Smash Bros.

The funniest thing about Switch launch is seeing how many people try to say Wii U's launch library was better.

Yeah I was gonna say Smash 4 too. Nintendo about to pick up all the money they left on the proverbial Wii U table.

Did you forget Splatoon comes out in a few months my man?

Isn't that a sequel, or so people like to insist? :p

Breath of the Wild was a driving force behind those sales. I'm speaking as a Switch owner, that the game drought makes Mario Kart 8 a must buy.

I wonder if it would have sold as well in an environment with competing AAA third-party games. It doesn't really have competition.

That's not how it works but ok.

Soph

So I just got this nagging feeling,, kept me up all night and felt worse and worse. Browsed my Switch catalogue, looking for an oasis of games to find in this drought. There was a light.. a shimmer or glimmer of hope.. and finally it came to me

You are now the new proud owner of Vroom in the Night Sky

Man I was so starved I just had to buy that, already have 21 friends on friendlist playing as well!

If this is how it worked, then Mario Kart 8 would have been the fastest-selling Mario Kart back on Wii U, too, since it was selling to a bigger install base during an even worse game drought for Wii U owners.

Obviously, this isn't how it works. Switch owners are buying Switch because they want the games.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

I brought this up in another thread and nobody seemed able to answer, but saying "game X is only doing well because console Y is starved for games" is implying that people who would otherwise never have bought the game in the first place are buying it purely to have a game to play. I'm pretty sure reality doesn't work that way. People who don't like racing games aren't buying Mario Kart just because they have some burning itch to spend $60.

IT'S SELLING WELL BECAUSE IT'S MARIO KART.

Mario Kart 8 managed 8 million units sold on a userbase that barely broke 11 million. If there's a safe bet for a game selling well, it's Mario Kart for sure.

The next one's gonna be Minecraft. Minecraft's gonna sell like goddamn crack cocaine because it's Minecraft. It'll be bolstered by Switch mania as well.

This doesn't apply to just Mario Kart either. It applies to anyone who tries to use the "oh of course it's selling, duh, there's nothing else to play" excuse to try and diminish any game's sales no matter the system. It also doesn't even make sense for Switch because there's actually a ton of shit available on it already, I and many others on GAF have posted about being shocked at just how many more games we've bought on Switch during launch than during any other system launch before it. The only thing it's missing right now is an FPS, it has adventure/platformer/racer/kart racer/rpg/fighting/etc etc etc. There's a little something for everyone. People aren't just buying Mario Kart to buy something, give the game and team a little more credit than that.

There's a lot of folks buying Switch software just because they have the Switch and they're loving filling it up with games to play. All those Neo Geo ports are getting a lot more exposure because they're not being dropped in the middle of a bunch of other games. They likely don't sell as well on other platforms because customers already have a ridiculous amount of content to sift through but on the Switch they stand out when there's less 50 games on the eShop to begin with.

This isn't some sort of slight against the Switch because I fucking love mine, but Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is in this perfect storm situation where it's a Mario Kart game on a new platform that's selling well and getting a ton of exposure. It'd be more surprising if it didn't sell well.

I wonder if it would have sold as well in an environment with competing AAA third-party games. It doesn't really have competition.

Are you assuming that most Switch owners don't own other consoles? This year has been filled with incredible AAA games and the game still sold very well.

I brought this up in another thread and nobody seemed able to answer, but saying "game X is only doing well because console Y is starved for games" is implying that people who would otherwise never have bought the game in the first place are buying it purely to have a game to play. I'm pretty sure reality doesn't work that way. People who don't like racing games aren't buying Mario Kart just because they have some burning itch to spend $60.

LIES

Kangi

So I just got this nagging feeling,, kept me up all night and felt worse and worse. Browsed my Switch catalogue, looking for an oasis of games to find in this drought. There was a light.. a shimmer or glimmer of hope.. and finally it came to me

You are now the new proud owner of Vroom in the Night Sky

Man I was so starved I just had to buy that, already have 21 friends on friendlist playing as well!

Tut

El Odio

Banned
Can confirm one sale here. I don't even like kart racers like at all but MK8D is the first game to release in such a long time on the switch that I just had to buy it so I could have something to play. I was so starved for a game I didn't even buy something else for PC or something cause I didn't wanna risk spoiling my appetite.

Mafro

People deluding themselves into thinking another entry in a series that consistently sells multi-millions is only selling well because of an apparent lack of games or questioning whether it would be selling well if it had "AAA" competition is my new favourite thing here on GAF. Goddamn salt mine.

Uh huuuuuh. Limited knowledge of googling the games list that are on the Switch, or better yet, going to the eshop on my sisters Switch.
Also, I'll be sure to forward all questions on the Switch to you for now on, since your knowledge is vast. Come on now.
Well nothing I said is factually incorrect, so either you didn't research very well or didn't grasp it.

Maybe if you came to me with your questions you'd know what you were talking about.

Alebrije

MK is a beast.
Zelda returned to be a beast.
Smash will come and will be a beast
Splatoon is a new kind of beast
Xenoblade 2 will be a beast

And the old beasts just waiting :

Mario
Metroid
DK

But for me the most important signal will be the sales of Skyrim.

If Bethesda feels fine about them this could mean Fallout 4 on Switch or Dishonored 2 ports. Skyrim could be the flagship for the return of AAA games from external developers.

Meanwhile good numbers for MK, and glad the Switch has had a good beginning

IT'S SELLING WELL BECAUSE IT'S MARIO KART.

Mario Kart 8 managed 8 million units sold on a userbase that barely broke 11 million. If there's a safe bet for a game selling well, it's Mario Kart for sure.

The next one's gonna be Minecraft. Minecraft's gonna sell like goddamn crack cocaine because it's Minecraft. It'll be bolstered by Switch mania as well.

So what you are saying to me, by shouting that it's selling purely based off the fact that it's a Mario Kart game, is that people who own a Switch and have absolutely no interest in racing games of any kind are buying it anyway, because it's Mario Kart. Is that right?

And the next success being Minecraft, will only be successful because it's Minecraft? So again people who have no interest in Minecraft whatsoever (and there are a fucking ton of those, believe me) will be buying it just because either "it's Minecraft" or "there's nothing else to play"?

If I'm misunderstanding you please correct me, it's been a trying week and I could very well be missing something very obvious ):

Edit: Caught your update and to an extent I see what you mean and can agree with you, but at the same time, Minecraft has released on systems late in their lives with enormous game libraries and still sold well, so I don't think the "game drought" excuse will work there and again, I'm pretty sure that people who own a PS4 don't just buy Minecraft "because it's Minecraft". Anecdotal I know but I know a ton of people who have PS4s who won't touch Minecraft with a 10 foot pole. And others still that play on their PCs but won't touch the console versions because of the controls or crafting table changes.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
It's really baffling how in a matter of 9 months Nintendo went from the company nobody cared about, claimed was doomed, and should go third party to the hot shit that everyone is suddenly rooting for.

As someone who's always been rooting for 'em, took you guys long enough.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
MK8D on the go is magical. It should hopefully have pretty strong legs unless MK9 comes out and cuts its life short.
Can confirm. Mario personally broke into my house, put a gun to my head, and whispered, "Let's-a go".
lmao

kswiston

Probably no 3DW for at least a year so they can give Odyssey some breathing room.

I don't know if they will bother with 3D world at all. Mario Odyssey will be them pushing the franchise forward again, and (hopefully) saying goodbye to the general format we have had post Galaxy 2. I really liked 3D land/World, but I am ready for something more expansive again.

The big three will be Mario Kart 8, Breath of the Wild (sort of), and Smash 4. Splatoon and probably Mario Maker are going the sequel route.

I could maybe see Xenoblade Chronicles X getting a remaster at some point after XB2 launches.

I didn't have a PS4 at launch but I had an Xbox One and I'm pretty sure nothing came close to Zelda and MK8D. I say this as primarily an Xbox gamer. I'm also pretty sure PS4 was similar to Xbox in terms of game lineup but happy to be corrected.

These sort of comments (like you quoted) are nothing short of console warrior bullshit.

I stood up in queue for 10 hours to a buy a PS4, can confirm nothing came close to Mario Kart or BotW.

Just to stay 100% here, I got Killzone SF, Resogun and later Knack.
Killzone was the weakest entry in the series in my opinion, felt really gimmicky at times.
Resogun was a superb game and my most played launch game.
Knack hardlocked up my PS4 multiple times, never finished it.

I later sold my PS4, then bought a second hand one over a year later with Bloodborne.

Super Mario Odyssey is going to be colossal.

For all the heat nintendo receives, it seems like their 2017 strategy will pay great dividends.

Splatoon will sell extremely well. ARMS looks like a fantastic game, from the team behind MK8 no less! Should it receive a marketing push it seems like another game which will most definitely capture both casuals and enthusiasts.

Xenoblade 2 and Mario Oddessey for the end of the year, alongside hypothetical Smash 4 and Pokemon stars will push the console for a while alone.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So what you are saying to me, by shouting that it's selling purely based off the fact that it's a Mario Kart game, is that people who own a Switch and have absolutely no interest in racing games of any kind are buying it anyway, because it's Mario Kart. Is that right?

And the next success being Minecraft, will only be successful because it's Minecraft? So again people who have no interest in Minecraft whatsoever (and there are a fucking ton of those, believe me) will be buying it just because either "it's Minecraft" or "there's nothing else to play"?

If I'm misunderstanding you please correct me, it's been a trying week and I could very well be missing something very obvious ):

Mario Kart is an established franchise. It's been around for 25 years now. Folks don't see it as a racing game, they see it as Mario Kart, it's almost in a genre to itself. It's practically a party game at this point, bolstered by the Switch's "out of the box" multiplayer functionality.

Tons of people will be buying Minecraft because it's Minecraft. It again will be bolstered by less competition and more word of mouth because it's on that new Switch thing everyone is talking about.

It's literally the Wii/Wii Sports situation all over again where a console is selling well because of it's software and the software is selling well because the console is popular.

Switch users have their new toy and are hyper-aware of software releases because they're looking for new stuff to play. My use of the word "starved" earlier was incorrect...I guess what I mean to say is "Switch users looking for games to play".

Same.

Before I purchased the Switch in March, I only purchased it for BotW, and the promise of MK8D in April. Now, I have 7 games in my digital collection, and I barely scratched the surface of half of them, because there's so many games to play. Hell, just with Treasure Trove I have a lot of game left before that baby is all said and done.

Gaspard

It's really baffling how in a matter of 9 months Nintendo went from the company nobody cared about, claimed was doomed, and should go third party to the hot shit that everyone is suddenly rooting for.

As someone who's always been rooting for 'em, took you guys long enough.

We'll go back to the nintendoomed cycle eventually.

"Too many positive Switch threads, are we jinxing it?"

Mutant

I'm glad to hear this! Mario Kart 8 was a great game and I'm happy that the effort put into the game can be enjoyed by a potentially bigger audience.

I hope this means that more great Wii U titles get ported over.

maxcriden

MK is a beast.
Zelda returned to be a beast.
Smash will come and will be a beast
Splatoon is a new kind of beast
Xenoblade 2 will be a beast

And the old beasts just waiting :

Mario
Metroid
DK

But for me the most important signal will be the sales of Skyrim.

If Bethesda feels fine about them this could mean Fallout 4 on Switch or Dishonored 2 ports. Skyrim could be the flagship for the return of AAA games from external developers.

Meanwhile good numbers for MK, and glad the Switch has had a good beginning

Was Xenoblade a sales hit? Genuinely asking since I don't know.

Metroid is a solid seller but I didn't think it was considered a beast. With 17M series sales it is above Star Fox but below Animal Crossing and Kirby, and given both of those series' immense handheld success I expect them to come soon enough, especially the former since a mobile entry is coming and that would likely be timed to promote a new full game. There are some other mega franchises I'd expect to push HW sales significantly, as well, like Pokémon. But back to Metroid, maybe a new Western-style Metroid entry could be a megahit like BOTW, and it would further legitimize the system for many Western owners.

What I find weird about the perception that Switch users are starved for games is that this is the first time in the last five years that I feel like I'm not starved for games on my Nintendo system.

I've got great content coming basically every month for the rest of the year.

Top Bottom