• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Montana Football 16

Hilti92

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/07/12/joe-montana-teases-new-football-game
Twenty-three years after the original Joe Montana Football game was released on the Sega Genesis, Joe Montana himself is teasing a new incarnation for the franchise: Joe Montana Football 16.

Early this afternoon, Joe Montana tweeted these hashtags: #youvewaitedlongenough #joemontanafootball16, along with this picture:
montanajpg-6e5503_640w.jpg

It would be nice to see it turn out good but I can only see an APF kind of game..
Madden treatment me if old.

bigkrev

It's obviously a mobile game, but the business model is key. I have no idea how they swing F2P without the NFL license

How would this work without the NFL license?

It'll probably be like APF where whoever is making this goes around and gets permission from former players to use their name and likeness in the game. That's really all they can do since EA still has the NFL license for several more years.

I played the heck out of the PC version. End Run Right FTW. I believe it was made by the same studio that did the excellent Hardball 3, as the player editing and general interface were very similar.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
It's obviously a mobile game, but the business model is key. I have no idea how they swing F2P without the NFL license

We do a bunch of F2P mobile sports games which don't use any licensing and they do fine. In fact, they tend to out perform those games where we have used licensing in terms of net revenue to us.

Related to this overall topic, our non licensed American football kicking game has done really well, better than some NFL licensed ones out there in terms of downloads and total revenues.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I was never a fan of sports games, but I sunk tons of hours into Joe Montana Sports Talk Football. I would buy a new one for the sake of nostalgia.

jwhit28

Joe Montana Football was just a Madden mod. It was made by EA after they bypassed the Genesis security and was part of the deal that gave them higher royalty rates and allowed them to produce their own cartridges.

Blimp cam was pretty cool though

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Joe 1 and 2 as well as NCAA National Championship were cornerstones of my Genesis collection.

And the superior NHL 95. 94 controls were a little too loose but 95 controls on Genesis were perfect.

I need the view from the blimp.
I still bring this up to this day -- incredibly, some things did not translate from the normal view to the blimp view, such as breaking tackles. So for example, you might have a 60-yard TD run, but when you watched the replay from the blimp view, your player could get tackled for a three-yard loss.

Top Bottom