• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Montana Football 16

The people who support Madden every year and play in leagues are casual football fans. They didn't play. They don't understand coverage or situational schemes on certain downs. They only care about playing as their favorite teams and players. How can you support a game that doesn't even have a proper replay/challenge system? Challenging whether or not a TD catch is inbounds and Madden's garbage system believes I want to challenge the spot of the ball? That is huge! A call that bad can mean the difference between you winning or losing in your league. If you enjoy outcomes that are decided before you snap the ball, by all means, continue to buy Madden.

Tell us more about that one time in high school where you scored 5 TDs in a single game

Jarate

Banned
Maddens got some really funky jank that makes the game hard to take seriously, but this years is actually really good in terms of realism. Game reminds me of the leap from n64 Madden to PS2 madden

Reading through this thread

Sapp.gif

Derpyduck

Banned
Maddens got some really funky jank that makes the game hard to take seriously, but this years is actually really good in terms of realism. Game reminds me of the leap from n64 Madden to PS2 madden

I liked this year's game, but running into the line is still problematic from an animation standpoint. I'll be buying next year's game if they put Edelgod on the cover.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I liked this year's game, but running into the line is still problematic from an animation standpoint. I'll be buying next year's game if they put Edelgod on the cover.

It's better if you don't sprint into the offensive line.

It's noy an assertion lol The animations in Madden have been bad for a very long time and that's a fact.

The fact that you guys play leagues in Madden tells me you know nothing of the sport lol

The people who support Madden every year and play in leagues are casual football fans. They didn't play. They don't understand coverage or situational schemes on certain downs. They only care about playing as their favorite teams and players. How can you support a game that doesn't even have a proper replay/challenge system? Challenging whether or not a TD catch is inbounds and Madden's garbage system believes I want to challenge the spot of the ball? That is huge! A call that bad can mean the difference between you winning or losing in your league. If you enjoy outcomes that are decided before you snap the ball, by all means, continue to buy Madden.

We get it. We get that you are some reject version of Al Bundy living off of a memory of your glory days of playing high school football. How do I know? You clearly failed the English test in which the lesson was that Ad Hominem arguments don't make for productive debate. Honestly, you are arguing with some people that have played every football game since 2005 when you are judging games based off of youtube. Bravo and stupid us. Imagine the next MGS or Mario were to be judged off of a youtube video?

Regarding your example of replays and challenges, you understand that programming and development is based on absolutes, right? The reason challenges and replays exist is because the human refs make mistakes and the system is trying to correct those errors. A game that can tell you with complete absolute certainty does not need a challenge system, and it's people like you asking for it that introduce another layer of developers screwing the end user with questionable calls. If the game is already absolute and works within a specific rule set, why is this even important? The game doesn't allow you to get screwed. Every turnover is reviewed, touchdowns and out of bounds follow absolute rules. When a call on the field is wrong the game automatically reviews it! You wouldn't know since you only saw it on youtube.

Fact is, you don't know what you are talking about because you haven't played the game! I am competitive in our leagues every year due to an above average knowledge of the X's and O's the ability to execute on them. I am not a fast twitch gamer.

That said, no I have never played anything at a higher level than flag football but I know for a fact that Chad Johnson, Arian Foster, Cam Newton, and many many more pro football stars play Madden year after year. How will you counter this? "Well they're not as smart as me!" I await your tip toeing, wishy washy, not based in fact or reality response.

I skipped madden this year for the first time ever. I will say I do like the direction the game is going from what I can see but the lack of a halftime show really hurt the game imo.

RyanDG

Regarding your example of replays and challenges, you understand that programming and development is based on absolutes, right? The reason challenges and replays exist is because the human refs make mistakes and the system is trying to correct those errors. A game that can tell you with complete absolute certainty does not need a challenge system, and it's people like you asking for it that introduce another layer of developers screwing the end user with questionable calls. If the game is already absolute and works within a specific rule set, why is this even important? The game doesn't allow you to get screwed. Every turnover is reviewed, touchdowns and out of bounds follow absolute rules. When a call on the field is wrong the game automatically reviews it! You wouldn't know since you only saw it on youtube.

Challenges in a football game are just dumb anyways. I would rather they scrapped the whole system and just got the calls right 100% of the time.

Challenges in a football game are just dumb anyways. I would rather they scrapped the whole system and just got the calls right 100% of the time.

Well real life isn't exactly a deterministic simulation like a sports video game.

I love 2k fan boys, they always instantly bring up the animations and gloss over all the other aspects of game development and football that 2k didn't nail.

BUT THE ANIMATIONS

WHERE IS MY BACKBREAKER 2

Are they gonna hire Americans this time? Or at least hire someone who has actually watched a game of American Football? That's my biggest problem with every non 2k/non EA football game. They're made by people who clearly have only the tiniest understanding of football and it hurts the games.

Milchjon

I would rather they scrapped the whole Justice system and people just didn't do any crimes.

Does anyone remember when 989 sports thought of making a gritty football game like Blitz: The League.

Road To Sunday

Road to Sunday revolves around Blake Doogan, who inherits a pro football team after his father is killed in a suspicious explosion while in Jamaica. Later, Blake learns that his father borrowed large sums of money from a Jamaican kingpin to purchase the professional football team the Los Angeles Show, and Doogan’s father’s debt is now his debt.

The gameplay follows the Blake, his friend/sidekick Harry and seven football players as they put it all on the line in order to get enough money to pay off the kingpin and win the championship. The on-the-field football experience is best characterized as mission-based football, done through the introduction of a new gameplay experience, Position Specific Gameplay (PSG). Players not only compete on the gridiron, but also gain exposure to an underworld of questionable characters, gambling, and an underground fighting league ran by the corrupt Jamaican kingpin. These off-field exploitations will drive the storyline as well as increase players’ abilities to perform in future missions and impact the outcome of future football games.

Orca

I would rather they scrapped the whole Justice system and people just didn't do any crimes.

What does that have to do with making referees in a football game infallible, which is certainly something that COULD happen, instead of having them occasionally be wrong but not have a decent system for challenging it?

Bacon

Lmao you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member

This post makes no sense because every single football game ever has had flaws or unrealistic aspects. I'm going to assume you liked 2k5? But how could you have possibly enjoyed a game where any player can dominate at RB by just tapping Y over and over? Even offensive linemen. Or how could you support a game where there was no QB spy? And that defensive AI, where guys would constantly stand in place or run the wrong way covering post routes, what kind of casual ass bullshit was that? Clearly a game for people who never laced em up.

The reality is we all know it sucks that Madden has no competition, and we understand the franchise has suffered because of it. But it's still a solid football game. Perfect, no, not by a long shot. But solid? Yes. And we buy it every year and play in leagues because we like the competition.

Ramirez

You are honestly proving to me that YOU don't watch football nor do you even know what you are talking about.

First, let's please stop comparing the current Madden to anything in the past. The game has been awful in some cases but this year's version is actually very good. There is a very strong Madden community here at GAF and none of us wear blinders nor do we dismiss any other football games that come to the market.

We have run 32 man leagues across multiple seasons since Madden 2010 (the introduction of online franchise) and it has spawned many different types of players and play styles. I am not a fast twitch based gamer so I have to level out the playing field by being a top level tactician on the field and following an overarching in game strategy. I am the guy people ask to break down the attributes of the players, what they mean and how to best utilize guys. There is a science to Madden that you sitting here having not played the game and outside of a competitive environment such as either of the two 32 man GAF Madden leagues just won't appreciate.

Your assertion that the animations suck and are robotic is baseless.

There are a wide range of attributes that play a role in how "good" a player is in the game. They are taken and then plugged into a matchup formula to determine things like being tackled and shedding blocks. Sorry that you had a bad experience with a youtube video a few years ago, but playing the game it makes sense for most positions. I am the mad scientist that sits there running experiments to figure out how to break the game. We in the Madden leagues spend hours debating over meticulous upgrades to our player attributes to make them better on the field athletes. We go as far as discussing what attributes best fit offensive linemen for zone blocking schemes versus power running. What matters more to a safety in zone, general awareness or recognizing the play. What's better for an LB in the game, a better tackler or a guy that can shed blocks on blitzes. The meta of Madden is a layer of the game that few ever really even think about, including you, icyrhythm. It totally affects football 101 aspects.

I just find it wholly offensive that a guy can sit here and without having played the game as in-depth as some of us start bashing aspects he knows nothing about. Honestly I feel badly that you haven't been exposed to the level of strategizing and agony we go through in our leagues for FA periods, drafting, scouting, and overall week to week improvement and preparation. When your guard you picked up on draft day and improved week to week starts picking up on coming defenders and pancakes them clearing the way for your RB, that's top tier.

WLbhJAo.jpg

Based Wellie.

I hope you are being serious, because I used to think 06 was phenomenal at the time lol.

i am absolutely serious. i loved madden 06 xbox. i was so pumped for madden 06 360 and then it turned out to be the worst football game ever created. the worst part is madden 06 xbox was so good, we had a 32 man league and had just finished the first season, then 360 came out and everyone sold their xbox's and that was that. we only got 1 season of madden 06 xbox :(

We get it. We get that you are some reject version of Al Bundy living off of a memory of your glory days of playing high school football. How do I know? You clearly failed the English test in which the lesson was that Ad Hominem arguments don't make for productive debate. Honestly, you are arguing with some people that have played every football game since 2005 when you are judging games based off of youtube. Bravo and stupid us. Imagine the next MGS or Mario were to be judged off of a youtube video?

Fact is, you don't know what you are talking about because you haven't played the game! I am competitive in our leagues every year due to an above average knowledge of the X's and O's the ability to execute on them. I am not a fast twitch gamer.

That said, no I have never played anything at a higher level than flag football but I know for a fact that Chad Johnson, Arian Foster, Cam Newton, and many many more pro football stars play Madden year after year. How will you counter this? "Well they're not as smart as me!" I await your tip toeing, wishy washy, not based in fact or reality response.

tumblr_inline_mppl78C3dQ1qz4rgp.gif

What High School did you play at where you could challenge anything via Instant Replay?

Spinluck

i am absolutely serious. i loved madden 06 xbox. i was so pumped for madden 06 360 and then it turned out to be the worst football game ever created. the worst part is madden 06 xbox was so good, we had a 32 man league and had just finished the first season, then 360 came out and everyone sold their xbox's and that was that. we only got 1 season of madden 06 xbox :(

Yeah 06 was incredible on Xb. Colts' offense was fucking unstoppable in that game :lol. Everything about felt good and played well, had a lot of shit to do too. Crazy how the 360 ended up being a pile of shit, they had one job!

brett2

http://youtu.be/oQg2i96mna0

http://youtu.be/Tzhk4g1JSn0

Take a look @ this bs! No way you can think they are giving you the best product possible.

This Youtuber has a whole series of videos analyzing the bugs and weird stuff going on in Madden if you watch the replays. I haven't played a Madden game since the OG XBOX so I can't really comment but I would certainly expect a higher level of realism, physics and AI than what those videos show. It's a shame since I put a ton of hours into Joe Montana football, 16-bit Madden and the DC NFL2K games.

Orca

This Youtuber has a whole series of videos analyzing the bugs and weird stuff going on in Madden if you watch the replays. I haven't played a Madden game since the OG XBOX so I can't really comment but I would certainly expect a higher level of realism, physics and AI than what those videos show. It's a shame since I put a ton of hours into Joe Montana football, 16-bit Madden and the DC NFL2K games.

There are plenty of videos of 2K5 glitches as well. I know nostalgia improves games, but - while it was amazing - it was far from perfect.

brett2

There are plenty of videos of 2K5 glitches as well. I know nostalgia improves games, but - while it was amazing - it was far from perfect.

The old games weren't perfect at all. I guess I just want a much better product after 10 years of technical advances for my $60. I've got 10 old football games sitting on my shelf that I can play if I really feel like it.

What High School did you play at where you could challenge anything via Instant Replay?

Madden and 2K are on the PRO level. Not sure if you're aware of that or not? That Madden team have been claiming for years "if you see it on Sunday, it's in our game." Which we know is nothing but a lie. They can't even put in a proper challenge system into their game. How is that All Pro Football 2K8 never received a patch to fix most of the issues the community had with the game, and still has better gameplay than any Madden game?

Why would I play an inferior game? lol

Some of ya'll sound like a bunch of Peaked in High School Rob Lowes. lololol

I'm one of those die hard NFL 2K fans as well, but I came to the realization years ago that the dream of 2K returning is over. As much as I want this game to succeed, it's dead in the water without that NFL license, especially if it's just a generic football game.

The only way an unlicensed game works even a little bit is if it takes advantage of the fact that they don't have to follow strict NFL rules, like Blitz: The League.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This thread got me in the mood for some 2K football... I just went online to buy All-Pro and I guess they don't have that available digitally? And it's not even on PSNow.

Goddammit.

This thread got me in the mood for some 2K football... I just went online to buy All-Pro and I guess they don't have that available digitally? And it's not even on PSNow.

Goddammit.

I'd imagine all the licenses they signed with all those washed up has been ex-players makes it difficult to re-sell.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'd imagine all the licenses they signed with all those washed up has been ex-players makes it difficult to re-sell.

Yeah I guess. I honestly just prefer the feel of that game... it could be pure generic players for all I care.

Oh well.

Madden is a roll the dice game. Its been constantly revolting from skill to a cpu based decisions game. User input is becoming extinct.

Joke post? If that was the case then anyone could be anyone, when that's the furthest thing from the truth. No matter how many "dice rolls" a good player will be a bad play 100/100 times.

Top Bottom