• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Montana Football 16

FordGTGuy

Banned
And still Sony manages to get, what...60-70% of their PS sales outside of the US? While still leading in the US...

Point being that there is a big enough market in the US in order to justify a game like this.

This isn't a competition of regions, it's about pointing out the obvious that the US is a big enough market to justify a exclusive devoted to a single market.

chadskin

Noone knows. There's crazy rumors that it will be.

Well, there's this screenshot Montana posted on Twitter:
CAQf7Q8UsAAyZLg.jpg

Doesn't look like NFL.

belushy

Banned
Well, there's this screenshot Montana posted on Twitter:
CAQf7Q8UsAAyZLg.jpg

Doesn't look like NFL.

Probably wouldn't announce an NFL license over a twitter post.

I don't care either way, I just want a good football game that is on PC and has good mod/customization tools.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Surely if they had rights to NFL teams they would show that off and not ... whatever that screenshot is.

Unless the screenshots was purely concept or a tech demo or if they didn't even had the right to use the license publicly as of yet. What I'm saying is that we shouldn't jump to conclusions until we find out officially.

yuraya

lol what meltdowns? This thread's at 14 pages in 9 months. This isn't going to be a Tomb Raider/Street Fighter situation.

this thread is full of rumors and twitter speculation yet already people are bickering about ww sales and other console war bullshit. Of course there will be meltdowns if this turns out to be true.

Anyways this seems like a possible E3 announcement. Maybe earlier. I don't see Montana putting his name on anything that doesn't have the NFL license. Wouldn't make sense since he is like one of the greatest NFL qbs of all time. Who knows tho maybe this guy is teasing some surface tablet game lol.

If the teams are fictional I'd be even more interested, but I know it would kill sales. Unless a game explicitly says THESE ARE THE BALTIMORE RAVENS YOU GUYS football fans just don't care. Doesn't matter how good the game is.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
If this was NFL-licensed, I don't see how marketing would allow a screenshot w/o the correct logos in place for maximum effect. It's a wasted effort otherwise.

I think, best case scenario, we get another one of these:

OXqknn4.jpg

which would suit me fine. I still have my copy on 360 and love it.

It's not going to stack up against Madden, though. Not without the official license. The shield is everything.

If the teams are fictional I'd be even more interested, but I know it would kill sales. Unless a game explicitly says THESE ARE THE BALTIMORE RAVENS YOU GUYS football fans just don't care. Doesn't matter how good the game is.
Yep.

Welfare

Oh yeah.

Well still, PS4 > Xbox One.

Well it doesn't include bundles and the Xbox One had the bundle, although I can't remember if its commented on later in the thread that PS4 would still be ahead (and you'll have to forgive me for not looking, it is a big thread).

Not a surprise though, given the PS4 was (is) leading console sales though.
I can't find it, but I think PS4 still lead in sales.

charsace

If this was NFL-licensed, I don't see how marketing would allow a screenshot w/o the correct logos in place for maximum effect. It's a wasted effort otherwise.

I think, best case scenario, we get another one of these:

OXqknn4.jpg

which would suit me fine. I still have my copy on 360 and love it.

It's not going to stack up against Madden, though. Not without the official license. The shield is everything.

Yep.

Loved this game. I killed a ton of folks in the GAF league except for like 2 guys. Then people quit because me and like 3 other guys were blowing everyone else out.

Bizzquik

Totally agree that the screenshot means NFL is a 'No.'
Unfortunate, but not unexpected.

I had hoped the NFL would've revised their latest deal like the old Major League Baseball 2K/Sony contract. 2K was allowed to be the only multi-plat maker, but Sony (and any other first-party company) were free to go platform-exclusive.

I thought there was a chance considering Microsoft is an official sponsor of the league, runs television ads with Russell Wilson wearing Seahawks uni's for the Surface Pro, and even went big with the league for the Xbox One launch...

Anyway, we'll see Joe at E3, me thinks.

I know it's unlikely but how crazy would it be if it ended up having the NFL license. I don't even play sports games anymore and that would still get me excited.

Looks like browns vs dolphins w/ placeholder logos to me *shrug*

Also worth noting that the last MS football game had NFL and fictional teams.

(god, please be real)

I'd be less interested if that's supposed to be Browns and dolphins. Not even close to accurate if so, not even remotely the same colors, let alone uniform styles, logos, helmets, or anything else.

That screenshot was pretty terrible though, looks about as bad as an early 360 Madden game, so I'm waiting to see more before writing the game off.

jmizzal

Totally agree that the screenshot means NFL is a 'No.'
Unfortunate, but not unexpected.

I had hoped the NFL would've revised their latest deal like the old Major League Baseball 2K/Sony contract. 2K was allowed to be the only multi-plat maker, but Sony (and any other first-party company) were free to go platform-exclusive.

I thought there was a chance considering Microsoft is an official sponsor of the league, runs television ads with Russell Wilson wearing Seahawks uni's for the Surface Pro, and even went big with the league for the Xbox One launch...

Anyway, we'll see Joe at E3, me thinks.

I dont think the screen means anything, Joe Montana posted it, not a dev, i'm pretty sure he can do what he wants, plus it was said they were teasing to gain interest and see what people are saying.

They def wouldnt show NFL before its officially announced, it was more to show off graphics.

Yeah, I'm holding out hope that the screen is using placeholder uniforms and logos (thus the blurring of the logos), and it was more about teasing the graphics. Then they'll reveal the NFL license when the actual game reveal/trailer drops for maximum impact. I realize that's still a longshot though.

NeoGIF

Yeah, I'm holding out hope that the screen is using placeholder uniforms and logos (thus the blurring of the logos), and it was more about teasing the graphics. Then they'll reveal the NFL license when the actual game reveal/trailer drops for maximum impact. I realize that's still a longshot though.

This is my guess as well. Taking into account with the deal that Microsoft currently has in place with the NFL, plus this recent tweet from Joe Montana, I almost want to bet that it will be an NFL title.

I just cannot see this being a spinoff football game if Microsoft is heavily investing in an exclusive Xbox One football title.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I dont think the screen means anything, Joe Montana posted it, not a dev, i'm pretty sure he can do what he wants, plus it was said they were teasing to gain interest and see what people are saying.

They def wouldnt show NFL before its officially announced, it was more to show off graphics.

What, you think he just hit print screen while strolling through the dev area and dropped it on a USB stick?

"Hey, I'm just gonna throw this up on Twitter, 'kay?"
"Alright Mr. Montana sir"

That's not how marketing works. If they had the NFL license for this game, they'd be shouting it from the rooftops - the news would be that big. No chance they just leak an image to "gain interest".

What, you think he just hit print screen while strolling through the dev area and dropped it on a USB stick?

"Hey, I'm just gonna throw this up on Twitter, 'kay?"
"Alright Mr. Montana sir"

That's not how marketing works. If they had the NFL license for this game, they'd be shouting it from the rooftops - the news would be that big. No chance they just leak an image to "gain interest".

Unless this is an E3 megaton. Maybe they're biding their time, waiting for the big announcement so that they can control the message.

Cant believe there are people who wont play a football game if the teams are made up.

Isn't that why FIFA originally jumped ahead of PES?

And isn't that why Madden consistently sold better than NCAA? Is just not the same without your favorite players. It would probably be different if Madden was like, NBA Live quality, but it clearly isn't.

And isn't that why Madden consistently sold better than NCAA? Is just not the same without your favorite players. It would probably be different if Madden was like, NBA Live quality, but it clearly isn't.

I used to buy pes because it was the better game, I didn't care so much for the licensing and names that I felt I needed to have them.

I stopped buying pes because (IMO) it started going significantly downhill and FIFA got a lot better and that's why I still buy FIFA, in the I between years I just didn't buy a football game at all.

Even though ea are getting lazy again it's still a good game and I will continue buying it for now.

Cant believe there are people who wont play a football game if the teams are made up.

If these people are NFL fans IRL, why would they play a game where #12 Tim Bradly and his Boston Cavaliers are playing the Seattle Thunderbirds and #7 Randal Winston in the Champions Bowl. Authenticity is king in sports gaming.

I used to buy pes because it was the better game, I didn't care so much for the licensing and names that I felt I needed to have them.

I stopped buying pes because (IMO) it started going significantly downhill and FIFA got a lot better and that's why I still buy FIFA, in the I between years I just didn't buy a football game at all.

Even though ea are getting lazy again it's still a good game and I will continue buying it for now.

Same here. Got PES every year until FIFA 09 was just the better game.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Unless this is an E3 megaton. Maybe they're biding their time, waiting for the big announcement so that they can control the message.
Then Montana would not have released the screenshot for Twitter. Right now, the message is all over the place. If that was the plan, it's amateur hour.

Then Montana would not have released the screenshot for Twitter. Right now, the message is all over the place. If that was the plan, it's amateur hour.

Has there ever been a case were a non-licensed sports title was teased/announced and then it was later disclosed that the game has a license?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I'm going back to the competitor's releases back when I was working on EA Sports titles and every single one made a point of calling out any license they had, just to legitimize their existence in comparison to our games. Usually a Player's Association sub-license, something, anything.

adelante

I'm going back to the competitor's releases back when I was working on EA Sports titles and every single one made a point of calling out any license they had, just to legitimize their existence in comparison to our games. Usually a Player's Association sub-license, something, anything.

How long ago was that? These days with the pervasiveness of social media, developers seem to love putting out all kinds of teases out there, even something as early as concept art.

But FIFA was never behind. The reason PES dropped out of favour is because it basically regressed every year abd couldn't sort something as fundimental as online play out. Conversley FIFA was noticeably getting better every year and had a 1000 teams to boot.

statham

I would imagine Joe is at Microsoft to sign some papers, that means Microsoft likes what they seen. Now can they create a NFL game before Microsoft gives the a-okay? Is that the reason for non-NFL screenshots? If its like the MLB deal I could see it. If only first-party can create a NFL game, besides EA, how could they create screenshot with it, before the go ahead?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Marketing for sports titles is different, especially now with so much money riding on licensing fees. If you want to compete at the top level, you need the official licenses, full stop. 2K8 is a prime example of a great playing football game that was massacred at retail because it didn't have real teams. Backbreaker Football used revolutionary physics and couldn't break through. Blitz: The League was able to capitalize of its previous association with the NFL for just two games before falling off.

If it's a game that's aiming towards the lower end of the market, it's not as important, but there's still an expectation (ie. the Backyard Sports series) of proper licensing when it comes to sports. Going up against Madden without it? Here's to ya.

I hope it plays well. I still play All Pro 2K8 regularly (one of the main reasons I keep my 360 hooked up) but I'm under no illusions as to where unlicensed sports games stand in the marketplace. A single screenshot with obviously non-NFL teams doing their thing doesn't scream "E3 surprise license unveil" to me. I see a game that's going to rely on Joe Montana's image as the hook, just like 2K8 did with Sanders and Elway.

But hey, I've been wrong before!

Bizzquik

I completely agree.

That's the power of the NFL license. However good or bad each iteration of Madden is, NFL = best brand of (american) Football, therefore the Madden NFL franchise = best brand of (american) Football video game.

Getting someone like Montana as the face of the new franchise is an acknowledgment of this. The game will need something to show credibility to consumers that it is to be taken seriously. So they sign Joe. We just hope he brings his real-world (actively playing) friends.

I don't understand what would be accomplished if they were to be releasing this generic photo now - which won't grab the average sports playing gamer's attention - only to be announcing the NFL license later. It would make more sense just to wait until they are ready to announce the whole game proper.

I don't understand what would be accomplished if they were to be releasing this generic photo now - which won't grab the average sports playing gamer's attention - only to be announcing the NFL license later. It would make more sense just to wait until they are ready to announce the whole game proper.

The only scenario I could maybe think of would be that the hypothetical MS-NFL deal has a NDA that lasts until E3. So the NFL wouldn't piss off EA too much.
JMF 16 (in this scenario) would have only 1-2 month for promo and ads, and madden's marketshare on X1 would not be impacted as much.
But that still seems really unrealistic.

The screenshot is indeed confusing, but Microsoft is in very, very good relations with the NFL and EA right now, and them releasing an unlicensed game which would compete with both of them makes no sense.

Top Bottom