• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just 99 Xbox Ones were sold in Japan last week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warxard

Banned
Releasing a couple of JRPGs and moneyhatting another one does not equal supporting the Japanese market. MS always thinks there is some sort of quick fix that a quick infusion of cash can accomplish. It doesn't work like that. That's why they are not just getting slaughtered in Japan but the rest of the world outside of the US as well.

Nothing Microsoft could do could even give them decent performance in Asia. This was apparent when the OG Xbox released. Nothing at all.

There is no fix. There is no solution. There is nothing that can be done.

I love the xbox...but is it possible that the relative failure of this system will scare microsoft away from future consoles?

Shenmue

Banned
It's common sense at this point. No one outside of the U.S. And UK gives a damn about the Xbox One, and even the latter is starting to give less of a fuck.

Basketball is popular in Asia. You would know that if you followed the sport.

I think he meant American Football.

KHlover

Banned
lol no what are you talking about? It's doing better than the Wii-U. Xbox's been in second place before, in fact it's always been the second place option. That's just the way things are.

Yeah, more games for Asia to ignore lol

It's below WiiU everywhere but US and UK tho

Warxard

Banned
I hope Platinum got a good deal because I don't see Scalebound selling heavily in any market. It's not in the Xbox One regular game space. I don't think their market will support it.

It'll sell more than The Wonderful 101 and that game was a mega bomb.

It's below WiiU everywhere but US and UK tho

It'll pass the LTD for the other regions soon enough. Wii-U's on it's last leg with the NX approaching.

King_Moc

Banned
Ethnocentric pride at its greatest. How sad.

Yeah, that'll be it.

Or maybe it just brings nothing at all to the Japanese market? "Ooohhh if I buy this, then i'll barely be able to play any Japanese games on it! Fantastic!"

Maybe the ad slogan is "Buy this and be unable to play Dragon Quest and Persona!".

rhandino

Banned
Would Tales of Vesperia 2, Blue Dragon 2 and Lost Oddysey 2 help?

xTiTny36KTlO33Cfle.gif
sQOWFk0.gif

Ninja Gaiden 4

Welfare

And Famitsu/Dengeki have it selling over 100 units. 136/227 respectively.

System is doing god awful in the country, but this is only one tracker.

inner-G

Banned
Ethnocentric pride at its greatest. How sad.

It's obviously strictly because of ethnocentric pride.

Definitely not related to a severe lack of software that would appeal to the Japanese audience nor the Xbox platform's history of having a much smaller focus on Japanese games in comparison to other platforms.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
It's the magic Xbox number.

Drake_of_the_99_Dragons.jpg
N3box.jpg

Name the next one Xbox 99!

Warxard

Banned
Yeah, that'll be it.

Or maybe it just brings nothing at all to the Japanese market? "Ooohhh if I buy this, then i'll barely be able to play any Japanese games on it! Fantastic!"

Maybe the ad slogan is "Buy this and be unable to play Dragon Quest and Persona!".

I see your point but

Japanese game culture still has an issue with ethnocentralism in both the consumer base and the industry there itself.

jond76

Banned
Just curious, what Xbox news not posted on GAF this week was good?

Look beyond the headlines. Sunset Overdrive stuff in Rocket League turned into "I wonder if there will be enough people to play it". New BC titles turned into "gimme Red Dead or scrap the whole program"

It's almost as if there can be no good news. Good news? We'll see about that!

Shenmue

Banned
Nothing Microsoft could do could even give them decent performance in Asia. This was apparent when the OG Xbox released. Nothing at all.

There is no fix. There is no solution. There is nothing that can be done.

And what would be the reason for that?

I see your point but

Japanese game culture still has an issue with ethnocentralism in both the consumer base and the industry there itself.

And yet GTA and CoD sell better than the vast majority of Japanese games?

Madness

I love the xbox...but is it possible that the relative failure of this system will scare microsoft away from future consoles?

This is some of the dumbest shit I've ever read. What is a relative failure? Is this the Ricky Bobby if you're not first, you're last? They're selling at a faster pace than Xbox 360 did. Just because their competitor is selling better than that, doesn't mean the console is a failure.

Yes they struggled out of the gate, but everything they've done since the 180 has been to right the ship. Even last gen, they lost Japan and most of Europe to PS3. The only difference this generation is that they're losing in NA/UK as well, but those territories are still strong sales for Microsoft, enough that it causes them to outsell what 360 was doing.

It's roughly a little over 2 years from launch, there's still at least 3 years left in this gen, which will naturally be shortened. They have no reason to drop consoles altogether, if anything, going forward, you probably won't see Japan matter most to western devs, or console manufacturers. Even PS4 and Wii U barely selling there compared to historical sales. Mobile is just too dominant. It's why Nintendo is doing the NX.

Z3M0G

Curious to see what Scalebound will do for the Japanese market, considering it's an Kamiya game; i haven't truly followed the game much becuase I really enjoyed seeing all the release footage. If I'm misguided, spite me, but is there a particular reason he went with Xbox instead of Sony considering how heavily influence the game is with Japanese tropes?

In any event...99 X1's is pathetic :/

When I look at Scalebound I see it as something with no appeal to the Japanese market at all.

I hope Platinum got a good deal because I don't see Scalebound selling heavily in any market. It's not in the Xbox One regular game space. I don't think their market will support it.

i think it will do better than most of their other games in western markets

not that is particular hard to do... -but I wouldn't know offhand either way-

the game is has a lot of "typical" AAA "characteristics"
that would probably appeal better to say a western market
-open world
-pretty graphics
-hyperrealistic graphics
-accessible (well in comparison to their other games) combat
-online multiplayer

male protagonist

Warxard

Banned
And what would be the reason for that?

The console has always been unappealing to the general audience from the OG Xbox's disgusting design aesthetic, the lack of games that appeal to that player base and the lack of effort made to push those games, the pricing was always high, the games had shitty ports, etc.

I genuinely believe that the Sega/MS relationship continued that their Japanese support today would be...less than average . Which is better than nonexistent

And yet GTA and CoD sell better than the vast majority of Japanese games?

Exception to the rule. Even Halo 5 did...okay in Japan. Those franchises are popular there. Popular EVERYWHERE.

Shenmue

Banned
The console has always been unappealing to the general audience from the OG Xbox's disgusting design aesthetic, the lack of games that appeal to that player base and the lack of effort made to push those games, the pricing was always high, the games had shitty ports, etc.

Everything you just listed is correctable, so why is there no fix, nothing that can be done?

Warxard

Banned
Everything you just listed is correctable, so why is there no fix, nothing that can be done?

They tried making Japanese centric titles for their consoles multiples times, and they failed multiple times. OG Xbox never got a sleeker redesign outside of the handhelds. Even the MS published titles got quality ports to accommodate people in JP (Halo CE being a prime example)

Nothing can be done.

Personally I'm more worried about how little the PS4 is selling in Japan. It doesn't matter if PS4 beats xbone if all of the Japanese devs are on mobile.

Shenmue

Banned
They tried making Japanese centric titles for their consoles multiples times, and they failed multiple times. OG Xbox never got a sleeker redesign outside of the handhelds. Even the MS published titles got quality ports to accommodate people in JP (Halo CE being a prime example)

Nothing can be done.

They made fewer Japanese titles than you can count on your hand. Whereas Sony has bought multiple American game devs how many has MS brought under their umbrella from Japan?

Releasing a couple of games is not supporting a market.

Madness

Because they tried with Xbox 360, their version of trying and it didn't work. This just cements it. Japan is a declining market overall in terms of the games industry and console industry is pretty much dead at this point. Some of their most powerful devs are or have moved to mobile, Microsoft would be better served to instead just focusing on NA/EU and East Asia. Japan has long had a higher history of ethnocentrism regarding consumer purchases than other territories. It will always be harder for Microsoft to convince them to buy their console over a Sony, Nintendo, formerly Sega one.

Just look at overall Japanese console sales for the PS4 and Wii U. PS4 is a juggernaut worldwide, and struggling in Japan. Why would Microsoft want to go through the trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom